ABF | What a bunch of B.S.!

Rollin,...My boy,....it's breathtaking, sometimes, to see your posts in which you act oblivious to how ignorant,...on several levels,....your words are. Do you blurt out statements like that while standing amongst your co-workers,.....or do you only post them from behind your (hopefully) anonimity here on the web? Just how many....."clock suckers".... do you see on your job? Are you the only one working and carrying the load? Did you pick up the word "clock sucker" from your previous job at Conway? Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, young man,........Americans don't need surveillance, and get upset when they're spied on. You do read the newspapers?,......I mean the other part of the paper without the funny cartoons. Apparently,...since you've come to ABF,...it turns out that those,....."clock suckers"....that you see everywhere,.....made a profit for ABF ,....even under the terms of the old contract. Sonofagun! , huh? Your former handlers at Conway taught you well,....there's never enough profit,...you must squeeze, intimidate, and spy on your work force,....get them to spy on each other, even.....Well,...we're a little different here. We don't leave our Constitutional rights at the time clock,....we know how to work, that's why ABF has survived 90 years with a Union work force. Something about working smarter, not harder. I tell you what, Roly-Poly Rollin, my boy,.........Why don't you make a list of all the potential ....."clock suckers"....in your terminal and present it to your terminal manager. I'm sure they'll ......."reward" you,......hard worker that you are. You must be the Backbone of your Operation, there........or some part of the back,....probably a little lower down........
Aaa so eloquent, the words of the canaryinthemine. If I could only write half that well...I guess you havn't gotten the big news...Rollin62 is single handedly responsible for that stellar quarter under harsh economic times and exorbitant worker pay packages.

If everyone had half my skills and performed like me, abf would be operating in the 80s. And that's on the old payscale. We're gonna have to have Jeff change this thread name from B.S. , to the Rollin truth. You old hands are just tired and jealous. It's young guys like me that's got you scared of the camera. Don't worry, I won't make you look bad , I'm sure you do a good job doing that yourself .

Let me tell you something Rollin, I have been in the freight business over 23 years and worked as a beer truck driver and salesman 7 years before that. I have learned over the years how to work smarter. We had an older gentleman in the beer business that could run circles around the young guns and he didn't even look like he was doing anything. Us old timers have learned how to work smarter and not harder. You think that because you are young and full of **** and vinegar that you are better than anyone else. You should watch the old timers and you might learn a thing or two. I was always told to use my brain and not my brawn. You will almost always find easier and more simple ways of doing things and that is usually what an old timer will show you. Just remember, you don't have to be fast, all you to be is steady.

If everyone had half my skills and performed like me, abf would be operating in the 80s. And that's on the old payscale. We're gonna have to have Jeff change this thread name from B.S. , to the Rollin truth. You old hands are just tired and jealous. It's young guys like me that's got you scared of the camera. Don't worry, I won't make you look bad , I'm sure you do a good job doing that yourself .
Oh my.....please come back to Con-way.. it would make my bonus check bigger with numbers like that.

Let me tell you something Rollin, I have been in the freight business over 23 years and worked as a beer truck driver and salesman 7 years before that. I have learned over the years how to work smarter. We had an older gentleman in the beer business that could run circles around the young guns and he didn't even look like he was doing anything. Us old timers have learned how to work smarter and not harder. You think that because you are young and full of **** and vinegar that you are better than anyone else. You should watch the old timers and you might learn a thing or two. I was always told to use my brain and not my brawn. You will almost always find easier and more simple ways of doing things and that is usually what an old timer will show you. Just remember, you don't have to be fast, all you to be is steady.
I am confident that I could do more than him without even trying. Then when you take into consideration the mistakes he makes (we all have at least one of him at home) there is no comparison. How much do you think those wrong trailers that you drag back and forth 20 miles each way cost the company? And don't worry, when you work the dock and give me the freight destined for the other side of our territory and give them mine they don't mind. Hey, if they wanted it next week they'd have ordered it next week, right? BTW why does your tractor look like it's been resurrected from a junk yard?
Please take him back....
Pretty please....

Rollin and stoney should work at north park transfer they have a good operating ratio..maybe with those two guys they can get even lower.Don't forget to bend over butt boy's when you get your check.

This is the place where you are told what time to be at terminal each morning. You can not punch in until the trailers arrive and are backed in. Some days these guys sit their 4 or 5 hours before they can start getting paid.
Rollin and stoney should work at north park transfer they have a good operating ratio..maybe with those two guys they can get even lower.Don't forget to bend over butt boy's when you get your check.

This is the place where you are told what time to be at terminal each morning. You can not punch in until the trailers arrive and are backed in. Some days these guys sit their 4 or 5 hours before they can start getting paid.
That's why they operate so low!!! Those idiots would fit right in Knee pads and napkins,lol:bananag:

Ho-ho-Rollin,..my boy...it's them old, tired hands that'll run rings around you.....we learned how to move freight when there was no pallet jacks,...no shrink-wrap,..no PDA's,...no power steering, or air conditioning,....no GPS,.....and not many interstates, either. While you're working yourself into a sweaty lather trying to impress the minimum-wage dock supervisor,.....look over at the old hand, who'll be sitting on a pile of freight, giving you a cool breeze wave,.....he's already done three times more than you're going to do that day.....They didn't hire us for our looks,....we were smart enough to learn off the old hands while we were young,.......do you think you'll ever become smart enough to learn that lesson?....maybe by the time you become one of those tired old hands,.....shaking your head at the eager beaver dancing around the minimum-wage dispatcher telling him how much you've done that day, trying to impress him,.....Yup,....them old hands have seen about 10,964 of your type come and go,....maybe by that time,...IF you last that long,....you might understand that a cocky attitude moves no freight,.......and learns no lessons.......

Just how old are you canary? The pallet jack was invented in 1918 and by 1919 Towmotor put the first motorized forklift on the market.

Just how old are you canary? The pallet jack was invented in 1918 and by 1919 Towmotor put the first motorized forklift on the market.
Keep in mind he works at ABF. These items weren't put into use until the next newest thing came along. The office folks just threw out their Campell's chicken soup cans and string last year.

I never had to work em but I heard a lot about the two wheeler and drag line system on the docks back in the old days.
Then they brought two or three diesel forklifts in to work the heavy stuff making it diesel fume city all night long. Those guys really earned their money.

I'm something of an older guy with 33 years and I've never heard of this stuff.

Drag line sounds like something from the Navy. Are you guys just having fun with me?

I'm something of an older guy with 33 years and I've never heard of this stuff.

Drag line sounds like something from the Navy. Are you guys just having fun with me?

I would say you never worked on the dock at a LTL break bulk back in the seventies and eighties. I didn't either but worked at the end of line terminal. Various docks around Detroit driving diesel forklifts 1973-1981, then Roadway ABQ 1981- 2009. Use to drive the diesel forklift out to the fuel Island and fill her up.

I would say you never worked on the dock at a LTL break bulk back in the seventies and eighties. I didn't either but worked at the end of line terminal. Various docks around Detroit driving diesel forklifts 1973-1981, then Roadway ABQ 1981- 2009. Use to drive the diesel forklift out to the fuel Island and fill her up.
Only been with LTL company the last seven years but I remember bringing drug store shipments from NJ to Mason & Dixon Lines in Knoxville TN around 1981 where they would break it down. I clearly remember fork lifts.

I just thought the other fella was stretching things a bit saying they didn't even have pallet jacks. Kinda like having to walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways.

No biggie, just friendly conversation.

My late father-in-law retired from ABF around 1985. He started trucking in the 1940s. He never talked much about the dock but I loved his stories about the travelling way back when. My favorite was when they only had US41 over Monteagle TN and it was a gravel road. He was from Fletcher NC. I'm guessing ABF had a yard in Asheville? By the time I met him in the1970s he had transferred to Dayton OH.

Large LTL consolidation terminals would have a device built into the floor of the dock that would pull dock carts full of freight around the entire length of the dock. It was called a dragline.