FedEx Freight | What is your main reason to vote in a union at FedEx Freight ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Record profits mean job security for someone, just not you, me, or the guy working next to you. In other words, the company needs employees, just not necessarily the ones they currently have. Your job security is your individual value to your employer.

I respectfully disagree renegade169. You don't want to be paying more than necessary to get the job done to level desired, however, new employees are more expensive in their hiring training, and increased claims' exposure. FedEx Freight pays $5343 per year in freight claims per employee. ( 187MM in claims paid/35,000 employees). A bit over $100/week per employee. Think about that tipped pallet, that speared box, that mis-delivered carton, that shipment where he didn't count accurately. Extremely easy to eat up any savings in wages and benefits in a heartbeat.

They are just protecting themselves from battery and/or need a witness to what was said (lawsuit repellent). Even without union representation you do have some protection; openly and obviously turn on your cell phone video and record the meeting.
You can't record anything it's against company policy unless it's them doing the recording.

I respectfully disagree renegade169. You don't want to be paying more than necessary to get the job done to level desired, however, new employees are more expensive in their hiring training, and increased claims' exposure. FedEx Freight pays $5343 per year in freight claims per employee. ( 187MM in claims paid/35,000 employees). A bit over $100/week per employee. Think about that tipped pallet, that speared box, that mis-delivered carton, that shipment where he didn't count accurately. Extremely easy to eat up any savings in wages and benefits in a heartbeat.

Maybe if they treated their employees better, the employees would give a **** and damages would go down.

Guardrail

How about when you and another supervisor take someone in the office and close the door. You supervisors have a witness to back you up. We don't have that right. But we will in due time.

This is true, and it happens. Just a note, currently it is possible for you to bring in another driver of your choice (if that driver is willing) and the way things are going I can guarantee that wouldn't be a problem. Most probably never considered that as an option? The managers may balk at that but tough titty. Might not mean squat or make a difference but at least you got another set of eyes and ears in your corner for the time being under the system in place.

You can't record anything it's against company policy unless it's them doing the recording.

Somebody tell you that or did you read it somewhere official? I'd like to see that. I believe management would tell you that you can't. However, I'm not certain that is the actual case.

Maybe if they treated their employees better, the employees would give a **** and damages would go down.

While that is likely true, I am talking about loss/damage due to inexperience not "I don't give a ****"...2 different causes. One guy damages freight because he's pissed at the world and just doesn't care, the new guy does it because of inexperience.

I'll pay more in hourly wages to keep claims down. I'd sacrifice load averages and bills per man hour to save claims. But that's just me. Other bean-counter type personalities don't see it the same way. That's why whatever numbers they are bitching to you about change weekly. I know I could cost a whole lot more in freight claims than I could ever milk from a clock.

It is company policy most likely because drivers were recording them and catching them in lies and not following their own policy. If you worked for FedEx you'd know. And since you don't why would you want to see it in writing?

We do, no doubt. When I interviewed it was made very clear what my job duties are and I have never been kept in the dark about them. As far as record profits yes, that's great I read the magazines, I look on line at our earnings and that in itself says job security. I guess I will keep reading and ask questions.

Um, record profit does not mean job security for YOU. I'm proof of that. Please don't confuse profit with loyalty. They are not one in the same, they just want you to think they are.

It is company policy most likely because drivers were recording them and catching them in lies and not following their own policy. If you worked for FedEx you'd know. And since you don't why would you want to see it in writing?

Just trying to lead a horse to water...

I believe folks are being told they can't record disciplinary meetings with their supervisor, I don't believe that is actual company policy. Of course they don't want you to record it for the very reasons you should.

Just because I am anti-Teamsters doesn't mean I'm anti-employee. I know that is hard for some to rectify.

How would you know what policy is? You sure seem to know a lot about FedEx Freight for someone who doesn't work here and has never worked here. So from now on when I have a question about FedEx policy I'll ask you no need in asking the boss. And I will tell the boss in the morning that you said I could record our meetings. I know that will mean a lot to him.

Most companies have some sort of policy about video recording on company property, that doesn't mean that it is illegal. In fact, the courts have ruled in several cases that retaliation against an employee for taping is in violation of NLRA section 7.

There are 39 states that only require 1 party being taped to consent (which would be you, the one recording your conversation with your employer) the other 11 states require both parties to consent.

Most companies have some sort of policy about video recording on company property, that doesn't mean that it is illegal. In fact, the courts have ruled in several cases that retaliation against an employee for taping is in violation of NLRA section 7.

There are 39 states that only require 1 party being taped to consent (which would be you, the one recording your conversation with your employer) the other 11 states require both parties to consent.

which 11 require both parties?

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington — require the consent of both parties.

However, even in those dual consent states, a surreptitious recording may still come into play. For example, the EEOC has no qualms about listening to and using tape recordings obtained illegally by employees.

One-third of workers with beefs tape their bosses - Houston Chronicle

Yes and if you are in the office they already got the red ass for you. So when you pop out that phone to record and are told to turn it off, you reply its my right to do this. Your supervisor reply's its my right to say you are no longer employed here............ Now WHO U going to call ? Dewey Cheatm & Howe ?

I believe folks are being told they can't record disciplinary meetings with their supervisor, I don't believe that is actual company policy. Of course they don't want you to record it for the very reasons you should.

Just because I am anti-Teamsters doesn't mean I'm anti-employee. I know that is hard for some to rectify.

I can think of about ten things. Seniority rights work rules paid health ins. Pension a grevencie procedure. The big thing it no longer be the main topic on your time off worry about somebody snitch on you or have to kiss somebody ass. Or one of the suck ass trying to steal your run its a different world. If the boss don't know you he call you Mr last name. Good luck

How about reconcile instead of rectify?

Although there is no shortage of us that desire to rectify the situation.

Yes and if you are in the office they already got the red ass for you. So when you pop out that phone to record and are told to turn it off, you reply its my right to do this. Your supervisor reply's its my right to say you are no longer employed here............ Now WHO U going to call ? Dewey Cheatm & Howe ?

just to let you know a supervisor does not have that right & can not fire you. He can send you home but can't fire you but the TM can.... Had plenty of times a supervisor threaten to fire me and i told them you can't fire me. Funny thing is they knew it too:6788::LMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.