Yellow | Why Can't Yrc Compete With Xpo

Depends on the plan you pick. The one I picked they contribute money towards my deductibles which carries over from year to year if you don't use it all. When I go to Dr I pay nothing until all that money is gone. I'm pretty healthy so I've never had to pay yet
Do they pay interest on the money you pay in for this?

This site has become nothing more than mine is bigger than yours. Blah... Blah... Blah ... Does everything have to confrontation in context? As truck drivers we all get paid pretty good in the blue collar world. Sometimes I wish we could just all be grateful for what we have and just let it go. Who gives a **** what the other guy has.

This site has become nothing more than mine is bigger than yours. Blah... Blah... Blah ... Does everything have to confrontation in context? As truck drivers we all get paid pretty good in the blue collar world. Sometimes I wish we could just all be grateful for what we have and just let it go. Who gives a :censored: what the other guy has.

You know that guy who is worried about what is on everyone else’s route? :17142:

I’m a bit more pragmatic than you Breeze. With my extra cash I rounded up around 25 goats and loaded them up in my trailer and took them down to the local veterinarian and had their nuts cut. The goat population has grown by leaps and bounds here in Texas. Every time I turn around I see a damn goat mounting up. They need to get a :censored: room!

did you sell them to chevy chase, i hear he loves mountain oysters!

Xpo schedule to get a raise of $0.84 at the end of this month. Putting them at top paid in the Southeast region at $28. 88 an hour. Just curious ! If anyone was keeping score
Because yellow is a dysfunctional company and has been sence the early 80 https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/09/business/no-2-in-trucking-yellow-will-buy-no-1-roadway.html Although Mr. Zollars insisted that, for now, Roadway and Yellow sales forces would continue to bid against each other for customers, he did not insist that practice would continue forever. Wtf Take money from one pocket loose some put it in the other no wonder we're bankrupt and we still do the same thing to holland

It should be very obvious that the non-union carriers pay better wages and a better overall compensation package. It’s like comparing apples and oranges though. Unionized carriers are not hired “at will” and can’t be fired for just any reason. They are for the most part treated like men and not like a piece of garbage. They have more job security and their healthcare is free. Does that offset the inequities? For many it does. Just saying it’s not always about the money! For some it’s about pride and self respect.
Well put,no one is wrong for working where they choose, every job in our industry has something that works for everyone , not sure one is trull better than the other,it's what works for you and your family, again, nicely stated train

Well put,no one is wrong for working where they choose, every job in our industry has something that works for everyone , not sure one is trull better than the other,it's what works for you and your family, again, nicely stated train

I'll agree, but what a change of venue from the old stop sign running days of Saia,.... Right Train?

How much for family plan Ins. And is it any good, does FEDEX pay OT in the city?
Family plan is $22.85 per week, no co-pay for a check up, they also have an HRA Which Fedex puts $700 into for you to use to pay what the insurance doesn’t cover. If you go to the doc because your sick, $20 co-pay. Not sure what the max deductible is in thinking it’s like $2500? Not sure 100% on that but
I put little to zero out of pocket for medical. Prescriptions are $5. My wife is diabetic and takes insulin and some other things, she gets her needles for free.
Yes city drivers get overtime after 8, double time after 12, company wide.

Last edited:
I pay $32.64 a week for family medical, dental and vision benefits at FedEx Freight.
So $1697.28 per year. All the top plans offered. No co pays for a regular checkup at the doctor.
No union dues.
Fedex has a 100% funded pension plan based on years of service and your age and the employees do not contribute to it at all.

They offer a Fedex stock purchase program
Up too 75% discount on shipping Fedex
401k is offered at 100% match up to 2% and you are automatically enrolled after 30 days of starting employment.
I think I earn like 5 sick days a year, and I am at 3 weeks vacation based on my yearly pay so that can vary a little year to year buts it’s more than my standard hourly rate. My vacation rate is like $33 an hour.
Once I hit 14 years in 2 more years I’ll earn another week of vacation and that is the max right now you can earn.
My terminal will ensure I get my 40 hours a week, even if I have to tie up rope and roll up straps at the end of the day they will give me my 8 a day. I usually work about 45 hours a week so I have never had to do that.

Not sure what the unions dues costs members monthly, but I would think it’s a wash maybe between what I pay for medical versus union dues?
What else does the union offer that a non-union company doesn’t anymore?

Seriously I’m not trying to stir the pot, but personally I would never join a union in this day and age, as to me they seem to be an old, outdated, dying, obsolete machine that’s desperate for paying members.
Having worked xpo and estes the union difference is i don't get screwed around. I don't have to do anything for free. I don't get stressed out dealing with garbage from managers. I don't get told to break the law . Like log book. But less problem now with electronic. Both those companies had supervisors that wanted make your day bad and love to get in your face . Union. Supervisor are nice to me . Polite. I don't get called in office over stupid stuff . I don't even worry about getting called in office. With estes i gave so much free time my salary per hour was way less than advertised . Xpo would run drivers out hours all the time so you gave up free time sitting on road waiting to get picked up. Breakdowns no pay. You sit frustrated waiting where mechanic. Union you just sit fine cause you getting paid .

I have a legitimate question, whats the maximum you can receive from your pension when you retire from Teamsters
Chicago Local 705 gets $100 for every year 25 years gets $ 2500 so on and so forth 44 years is $4400 as long as you can work even 50 years is $ 5000 a month . Even if you go to an other carrier thats in 705 .We are NOT IN CENTRAL STATES !!!!!! Thats for drivers in my era and ABF (ABF still does)and a few others . Unfortunately for the YRC guys today they are getting not that much maybe what some none are getting .

Last edited:
Having worked xpo and estes the union difference is i don't get screwed around. I don't have to do anything for free. I don't get stressed out dealing with garbage from managers. I don't get told to break the law . Like log book. But less problem now with electronic. Both those companies had supervisors that wanted make your day bad and love to get in your face . Union. Supervisor are nice to me . Polite. I don't get called in office over stupid stuff . I don't even worry about getting called in office. With estes i gave so much free time my salary per hour was way less than advertised . Xpo would run drivers out hours all the time so you gave up free time sitting on road waiting to get picked up. Breakdowns no pay. You sit frustrated waiting where mechanic. Union you just sit fine cause you getting paid .
You better tell em
Wait till our hundreds of inter8that are leaving get a taste of all that plus starting over paid time off working a year just to get 1 week and a lot if other gripes they'll find to cry about
Gonna get really interesting after the interviews

Taking your truck to shop to get fixed without getting yelled at . When i was city driver estes TM and dispatch always screaming if i went shop to fix something because i was on the clock. You pretrip and light out they wanted you roll with it and tell shop in write up when u back . In union you take it and get it fixed not a word said about it .

It should be very obvious that the non-union carriers pay better wages and a better overall compensation package. It’s like comparing apples and oranges though. Unionized carriers are not hired “at will” and can’t be fired for just any reason. They are for the most part treated like men and not like a piece of garbage. They have more job security and their healthcare is free. Does that offset the inequities? For many it does. Just saying it’s not always about the money! For some it’s about pride and self respect.
I’ll compare resume’s with anyone on this board. I’ve worked the dock for years I’ve been a bid holster at a union barn I’ve peddled LTL and Ive done linehaul for both union and non. I’ve worked for P.IE C.F Con-Job which was by far the worst...also YRC and now OD. OD is the best company I have worked for. They treat us as adults. Here’s your work go do it call us if you have an issue. My interaction with dispatch/management probably averages 5 minutes a day. The pay is outstanding at my location. We have big runs tho some locations don’t. It’s true I could get fired tomorrow but I won’t. Management are people just like us and don’t want to fire you unless you beg for it. One driver did something and ripped the lines off his dolley. He dumped his dolley in the pile and grabbed another and didn’t tell anyone or write it up. They fired him. He was a good guy and I liked him but he had it coming you have to report that. As far as healthcare I haven’t used it but I m sure it can’t compare with YRC when I was there from what I’ve heard. No pension but at this point I’d rather have control. The 401 is good and I do have a pension coming from my time in the western teamsters. So to sum up my novel I have a great run 624 miles plus drop and hooks and fueling pay. I am treated like an adult. A fair retirement that I can control. Oh and a 2019 tractor and that helps as well. One last comment. I hated Con-way it was freakin horrible it absolutely was everything bad about non union jobs. OD is nothing like that.