XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

There used to be left leaning people that posted here. Famously, Magoo. He would argue the leftest left ideas he could find. Just to rile these guys up. And he was good at it. If you talked to him with decency. He argued his point of view respectfully. If you came with fire, he’d dump gasoline on the whole thing. It was incredible how well he tailored his responses based on username he was responding to.
No disrespect but after I read icuicp’s reply I saw both sides. Your’s and his. I’ll temper my reactions as once I read your inference to left leaning and now he’s gone? I’ve read a lot of responses in a different forum and they really hit below the belt when they go on the offensive.

Yes , there is a particular mindset. And even if you agree with an overall idea , goal , or group , but you are not a blind follower in the echo chamber , the keyboard tough guys come out.

You can call out the different folks that attack ideas that are different , you can provide proven facts to counter inaccurate information , you can use their sources and material to demonstrate how they may be wrong , and you'll be drowned out by the volume posters that live on Trucking Boards.

In the end , it makes things less interesting because it's nothing but a few people saying the same thing ....over and over again.

Is a one sided conversation really a conversation?

If your ideas , viewpoints and facts are strong and correct , shouldn't they be able to stand up to criticism and scrutiny from those you disagree with?
You know I just had to read your post again. It’s obvious you’ve seen a lot happen in this site and in certain forums within the site. Your reference to being drowned out by dissenting opinions kind of makes me feel bad as in my review of different members and their overwhelming replies and circling their wagons can create the dynamic that isn’t exactly a fair playing field. That’s why I prefer to stay neutral and just observe and maybe state an opinion on certain situations without resorting to creating a hostile situation. Once again sir your reply is absolutely resounding and should be appreciated by some who may be guilty of your description of what you see to be the facts. Props to you!! Wow.

You know I just had to read your post again. It’s obvious you’ve seen a lot happen in this site and in certain forums within the site. Your reference to being drowned out by dissenting opinions kind of makes me feel bad as in my review of different members and their overwhelming replies and circling their wagons can create the dynamic that isn’t exactly a fair playing field. That’s why I prefer to stay neutral and just observe and maybe state an opinion on certain situations without resorting to creating a hostile situation. Once again sir your reply is absolutely resounding and should be appreciated by some who may be guilty of your description of what you see to be the facts. Props to you!! Wow.

IMHO there is a good bit of posturing and "jumping on the bandwagon" so to speak being done by otherwise good people who get caught up in the moment. I would suspect that one-on-one, most of those who seem so strident on here are probably OK people if/when you get to know them individually. In a small way, kind of like what happens to people when in a crowd/mob and they do/say things they wouldn't normally say or do. :idunno:

Yes , there is a particular mindset. And even if you agree with an overall idea , goal , or group , but you are not a blind follower in the echo chamber , the keyboard tough guys come out.

You can call out the different folks that attack ideas that are different , you can provide proven facts to counter inaccurate information , you can use their sources and material to demonstrate how they may be wrong , and you'll be drowned out by the volume posters that live on Trucking Boards.

In the end , it makes things less interesting because it's nothing but a few people saying the same thing ....over and over again.

Is a one sided conversation really a conversation?

If your ideas , viewpoints and facts are strong and correct , shouldn't they be able to stand up to criticism and scrutiny from those you disagree with?

Exactly. I don't conform to their ideal of pure extremeism. Left or right. Because I know it's the system that is wrong. And they play against us, the people. Those are the real two parties in this two party system of politics. It's the government versus the citizens. But if you don't choose a side. Left or right. Then you are just wrong to both factions. And then you get zero traction for any of your ideas or responses. Because then they would be siding with the enemy. They have to back their people that regurgitate their message. Free thought is a crime. Free expresion is a crime. You are only allowed to be what they tell you to be.

IMHO there is a good bit of posturing and "jumping on the bandwagon" so to speak being done by otherwise good people who get caught up in the moment. I would suspect that one-on-one, most of those who seem so strident on here are probably OK people if/when you get to know them individually. In a small way, kind of like what happens to people when in a crowd/mob and they do/say things they wouldn't normally say or do. :idunno:
Amen

Wow. Great great post. Subduing an informed opinion with multiple attacks. That sounds a little more like what possibly if not probably happened in here. I can feel the heat by just observing a few of the molecules boiling in water. It seems like it can get one sided which isn’t a good thing. Hate filled rhetoric can bring a like minded response. It probably happens more than I realize. I’m on board with you

Both sides play this game. It's a universal plan of attack.

Exactly. I don't conform to their ideal of pure extremeism. Left or right. Because I know it's the system that is wrong. And they play against us, the people. Those are the real two parties in this two party system of politics. It's the government versus the citizens. But if you don't choose a side. Left or right. Then you are just wrong to both factions. And then you get zero traction for any of your ideas or responses. Because then they would be siding with the enemy. They have to back their people that regurgitate their message. Free thought is a crime. Free expresion is a crime. You are only allowed to be what they tell you to be.
Sometimes there is good coming from both sides. We can’t be 99% conservative nor 99% liberal. That’s not what makes us great. Majority creates chaos and in some cases revolution

No disrespect but after I read icuicp’s reply I saw both sides. Your’s and his. I’ll temper my reactions as once I read your inference to left leaning and now he’s gone? I’ve read a lot of responses in a different forum and they really hit below the belt when they go on the offensive.

Not speaking for icuicp. But we are from the same part of the world. And from previous conversations. I can tell you that we think very similarly on a variety of subjects. As we likely share a similar background and perspective.

Sometimes there is good coming from both sides. We can’t be 99% conservative nor 99% liberal. That’s not what makes us great. Majority creates chaos and in some cases revolution

It's my opinion that revolution is the only answer. The founding fathers knew that a powerful central government was bad. They gave all the power to the states. This was deliberately done. It has been undone over time. And that needs to be corrected.

Magoo took a new gig and doesn't seem to have the same work/life balance that he once did. Like many of us have seen. The great COVID assault has destroyed many walks of life. All sorts of " educated " folks getting fired and cancelled and whatever. But for us slugs out here in the real world. It has giving us a suprising amount of opportunities and options. They always said; " stay down ". It wasn't a lie.

Wow. Great great post. Subduing an informed opinion with multiple attacks. That sounds a little more like what possibly if not probably happened in here. I can feel the heat by just observing a few of the molecules boiling in water. It seems like it can get one sided which isn’t a good thing. Hate filled rhetoric can bring a like minded response. It probably happens more than I realize. I’m on board with you
You might off the mark a little bit here. In another post, I linked to a website that showed that nearly2/3 of truck drivers identify GOP. If we apply that same thinking here, isn't it safe to say that many of the responses regarding unions and other issues are going to lean to the right? And while some of what you read comes off as hate filled rhetoric, I can tell you one thing for certain about GOP voters. They don't necessarily hate pro-union people or people who vote Democratic, what they hate is the policies that Democrats enact when they have majority in Congress and the they have the presidency. You might find this unnerving, but many Republicans believe that the policies the Democrats support will destroy many aspects of our economic system and our institutions. When one hates policy, a person isn't likely to want to say a kind word to Democratic voter who enables Democrats to hold onto power. So when you want to argue pro-union or pro-Democrat, bring your arguments to the table and link them to facts so that your arguments will carry more weight, lest you risk sounding like you're posting little more than hateful rhetoric. Myself, I see some value in unions, but I see more I dislike about a union shop than I like and I can bring facts to support my position. You don't have to agree, but at least I'll have made my case.

You might off the mark a little bit here. In another post, I linked to a website that showed that nearly2/3 of truck drivers identify GOP. If we apply that same thinking here, isn't it safe to say that many of the responses regarding unions and other issues are going to lean to the right? And while some of what you read comes off as hate filled rhetoric, I can tell you one thing for certain about GOP voters. They don't necessarily hate pro-union people or people who vote Democratic, what they hate is the policies that Democrats enact when they have majority in Congress and the they have the presidency. You might find this unnerving, but many Republicans believe that the policies the Democrats support will destroy many aspects of our economic system and our institutions. When one hates policy, a person isn't likely to want to say a kind word to Democratic voter who enables Democrats to hold onto power. So when you want to argue pro-union or pro-Democrat, bring your arguments to the table and link them to facts so that your arguments will carry more weight, lest you risk sounding like you're posting little more than hateful rhetoric. Myself, I see some value in unions, but I see more I dislike about a union shop than I like and I can bring facts to support my position. You don't have to agree, but at least I'll have made my case.
Well said

Thank you for the praise. Keep an open mind , and be respectful. There are many decent folks on this site that will have a great dialogue with you - even if you don't agree!

When that happens , ideas get exchanged and true debate happens. Information is the key though. That's why I found this site ( looking for information ) and why I continue to believe in it.

The information that we can gather and spread to one another can be a useful tool ( and has been REALLY helpful to me throughout my time as a professional driver ) Focus on the information built up through years of all of us being in this industry , all the hard work , sacrifice , pain , happiness , failures , and successes...you can find so much if you just look.

It usually works best if you pick a topic instead of picking a fight. ( Not accusing you of picking a fight , just trying to end on a good note )

Thank you for the praise. Keep an open mind , and be respectful. There are many decent folks on this site that will have a great dialogue with you - even if you don't agree!

When that happens , ideas get exchanged and true debate happens. Information is the key though. That's why I found this site ( looking for information ) and why I continue to believe in it.

The information that we can gather and spread to one another can be a useful tool ( and has been REALLY helpful to me throughout my time as a professional driver ) Focus on the information built up through years of all of us being in this industry , all the hard work , sacrifice , pain , happiness , failures , and successes...you can find so much if you just look.

It usually works best if you pick a topic instead of picking a fight. ( Not accusing you of picking a fight , just trying to end on a good note )
If discussion was the norm life would be good. It’s the mind that isn’t open that restricts our ability to have middle ground

If discussion was the norm life would be good. It’s the mind that isn’t open that restricts our ability to have middle ground
When I was working I would listen to Left-wing radio daily. I had a friend at work that leaned as far left as you can get. When I told him I listened to a Left-winger, He was very excited. He said so you listen to both sides then try to meet in the middle. I said no, I listen to all sides then decide what is right. Thom Hartmann on SiriusXM on channel 127.

Living in your mind rent free. Haven’t responded to any of your woke b.s. in a hot minute and you still bring me up. I’m flattered.

But here's the problem. We live in a world where the extreme dominates the public discussion. If I was pressed, I'd say that that it started with the controversy surrounding the 2000 presidential election. If we're to have any kind of a dialogue at all, we have to meet people where they are, not where we believe they should be. We also have to be open to the idea that everyone has a different idea of what the is the norm.

But here's the problem. We live in a world where the extreme dominates the public discussion. If I was pressed, I'd say that that it started with the controversy surrounding the 2000 presidential election. If we're to have any kind of a dialogue at all, we have to meet people where they are, not where we believe they should be. We also have to be open to the idea that everyone has a different idea of what the is the norm.
That was definitely a good point. The fact that George’s brother stopped the recount with what 500 votes separating him and Gore had to have an affect on that particular election. At least Gore bowed out after the Supreme Court said too much time had passed to change the outcome. That’s the reason I’m so tired of these non stop attacks that still surround 2020’s election. The extreme side just refuses to let it go and in actuality the liberal side has put conservatives on notice. They are here. There are more of them out here. And probably for the ne t couple of presidential elections their voices will be heard.

Last edited: