XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

My nickname came from a Teamster btw.

I used to stop at the Buckhorn and start my 3 tours up to the house every morning, Tuesday through Saturday when I was with CCX.

Long story short, an old CF guy gave me that nickname. Mike Downey (R.I.P.)

He said I was buying the next round after I said I was going to hit the old dusty trail heading north.

I responded to him and the rest of them all that unfortunately I may have left my wallet on the piano at home.

The next morning when I walked in, he shouted there’s ol’ piano man to buy us one! Then it morphed into the old wore out joke about my mom not knowing I was a trucker, she thought I played piano in a cat house.

Unfortunately as I look this site over anyone who supports a Democrat is vilified. I’m not a liberal but I personally believe that the Democrat Party is probably more pro union than most Grand Old Party members and supporters. I agree with you that neither party gives a darn about the middle class. Trump’s decided to give the top 1% a bigger piece of the pie. Then again Biden’s plan had more fat than meat. Seriously though from my newbie status here and my views of different forums before I joined and since has me firmly convinced you don’t want to get to involved in politics here. Unlike most of the United States this site is very Red which will keep me from getting to involved. That one forum supposedly supporting our military is just so not about the military it’s disgusting. My suggestion to anyone not a Trump supporter is to stay clear of that forum. I do support your response though. 100%
When you attack our Constitutional freedoms then we have a problem. These are not JFK democrats. In todays world JFK would be an republican. What good is top union pay when your taxes are sky high. Just look at the top 5 states people are leaving all Democratic controlled. NJ, NY, Conn, Ill, Calif. The waving there one hand while the other is stabbing in the back. They talk alot about supporting union but yet they run and open boarder, allow non-citizens to vote, and tax the companies into moving overseas. What the one thing a union needs to exist?????

That's one of the biggest wins for these LTL companies. At one time a teamster strike would screw up the whole country. Now not so much
Deregulation was used to break up the strangle hold that freight had over the economy. At one time, just the mention of that little six letter word would put the freight companies in panic mode. A lot of the newer guys don’t realize it, but a regulated industry means higher pay, better benefits, and better work rules for all in that industry because of that little six letter word.

eBiTDa they are just one phone call away. The nice thing about the IUOE is that pension and healthcare benefits are based on your hourly work. If you work x amount of hours you get x amount of pension. That way you aren’t paying for a guy who “hasn’t touched a steering wheel in winter since ‘98”, or the guy who is always on light duty or off every softball season, or the FMLA squad. We all know the types. Union or non we all know the type. If you get forced to work 60-70 hours every week you should be compensated for all of them. The Teamsters model is 40 hours. That is why they always have 2 guys doing the work of 3. It is cheaper for the company. Every hour in should go to retirement. Our time is traded for money, and our labor should count for something more than just wages past 40 hours in my opinion.
My friend union works that way the more you work the higher you pension pay out. In his plan he has to put 5% of his gross into the pension every check. The pension is also figured on your 3 highest pay years just not the last 3. He been there 16yrs and has a higher monthly pension then those that been there 20yrs because of the amount of hour he worked in the past. He plans to retire at 20yrs so one more year of massive OT then for the last 3 it 40 and out. That's how a pension should work not like what the Teamsters are doing

Is it impossible for anyone to look into anything and make an opinion on what they see? Or to learn about things they choose to not be a part of?

What post made me seem unhappy?

What post made my retired dad and currently working brother, seem like they weren’t happy?

What post makes it seem like I’m “flailing my arms about something I don’t grasp”?

I’m pretty sure that I could sit down and enjoy a meal or beers with ABF381, Steward of the Rock, or just about any other Teamster on here and cut it up like long lost friends and the interaction (the first btw) I’ve had with you, you’ve come away with all of this? Wowsers.

Hard to believe anyone has an opinion different than you in the real world.
I’m sorry punkin. I didn’t mean to offend you. You started off on me with my chill comment then continued to pound your feelings on the TEAMSTERS. And I’m use to people who hate the teamsters. You’re not the first believe me. When you got into the operating engineers being better I chuckled. They might get paid more but their contribution is much less especially when compared to the likes of ABF. We can agree on two things. You hate the teamsters. The other thing I’ll hold back on. Piano man? Are you sure you just don’t have a thing for that handle? Come on now…. You use to be a long haul trucker with your CB and your 140 watt linear right? Ok. I got my piece of shlick payback. It was my turn wasn’t it? Live better. Work union!!

Screw the teamsters, maybe if the Operating Engineers wanna talk, we might have something.
I am going to take one more whack at another not informed person. You hate the teamsters but you promote operating engineers? As I told your sole brother….. ops might get paid more but the company contribution is about 2.00 an hour in comparison to ABF at what use to be like 6 an hour. Don’t quote me on that but I think even you…..I mean even YOU….. can do the math. Wish I spent 30 at ABF

I am going to take one more whack at another not informed person. You hate the teamsters but you promote operating engineers? As I told your sole brother….. ops might get paid more but the company contribution is about 2.00 an hour in comparison to ABF at what use to be like 6 an hour. Don’t quote me on that but I think even you…..I mean even YOU….. can do the math. Wish I spent 30 at ABF
Right now, ABF (Southern Region) is paid in at $8.55 per hour or $342.00 per week on 40 hours. Some of the other regions may be a little more or a little less, but this is for the Southern Region ABFer’s. I think out west it is higher, but not sure how much higher.

5BC3F3F0-00DF-420C-B9D6-C67732245D1A.md.jpg

Last edited:
Right now, ABF (Southern Region) is paid in at $8.55 per hour or $342.00 per week on 40 hours. Some of the other regions may be a little more or a little less, but this is for the Southern Region ABFer’s. I think out west it is higher, but not sure how much higher.

5BC3F3F0-00DF-420C-B9D6-C67732245D1A.md.jpg
Unfortunately most don’t realize what that means. I was at 3.75 per which for the first 20 years of service equaled approximately 1200 per year per credit. That’s at 40 hours. For many years they contributed on every hour. Once you hit 20 years it increased to 1800 per year per credit. When you do the math on your company’s contribution it’s huge. A buddy of mine retired from ABF at around 6.75 I believe he told me but I’m not exactly positive on that. Thanks for the input.

This is not left or right, but merely facts.
The Keystone Pipeline was being built to ship shale oil from Canada to The Gulf Of Mexico to be shipped to China. Shale oil is the sludge of the oil commodities market. American refineries do not want to process, and refine it when there is brent crude available. Building the pipeline will take 2,000 workers two years to build. After that, there will be 35 permanent jobs manning the pumping stations, and checking for, and repairing leaks.
That oil is already being shipped. How? By truckers, and railroad workers, keeping them employed, along with the truck stop workers, mechanics, motel workers, restaurant workers, filling station workers, etc. who man the trucking networks. The pipeline would cut out the need for thousands of truck drivers, and the other workers I mentioned in the trucking network.
The pipeline also crosses the largest aquafer in the United States, and if a break occurs at that point, drinking water for thousands of miles will be undrinkable. You talk about 5 dollars a gallon for gas? How about 30 dollars a gallon for water?
The pipeline serves one purpose, and one alone. That is to increase profits for the oil companies. It will eliminate thousands of jobs in doing so, but it is made to look as if killing the pipeline will kill jobs. Think about it critically. It is a corporate lie.
I’m slowly making my way through threads. This was a well thought out post and my feelings exactly in what was lost killing that pipeline. It made the guy’s who wear those red hats feel like they had a kill shot on Biden when he nixed the project. Like many pork projects pipelines and other construction projects bring very short term jobs. Let Canada deal with their own logistics situations instead of saddling us with it. Many of those workers were Canadian. Haters are always going to blame “the other guy”. It’s like empty shelves in grocery stores now. Let’s blame Biden when the exact thing took place while our ex president played gold denying that virus existed. What is that virus called? Don’t remind me.

I’m slowly making my way through threads. This was a well thought out post and my feelings exactly in what was lost killing that pipeline. It made the guy’s who wear those red hats feel like they had a kill shot on Biden when he nixed the project. Like many pork projects pipelines and other construction projects bring very short term jobs. Let Canada deal with their own logistics situations instead of saddling us with it. Many of those workers were Canadian. Haters are always going to blame “the other guy”. It’s like empty shelves in grocery stores now. Let’s blame Biden when the exact thing took place while our ex president played gold denying that virus existed. What is that virus called? Don’t remind me.
Hollywoodz is one of the most Sensible poster on this forums and he was/ is dead on with that post . I heard he was in pretty rough shape for a while . The pipeline outside of temporary jobs had little benefit long term to the United States . The political spin put on on it was incredible.

Friend, Pizza, you don't know the back story of that thread so since your new to TB maybe you should lighten up on the smack talk. Many of the folks around here & on that thread are vets and don't mind giving their opinion. Just a suggestion but what do I know. Welcome to TB.:1036316054:

Last edited:
Friend, Pizza, you don't know the back story of that thread so since your new to TB maybe you should lighten up on the smack talk. Many of the folks around here & on that thread are vets and don't mind giving their opinion. Just a suggestion but what do I know. Welcome to TB.:1036316054:
I’ve been visiting this site for a long time. I call a spade a spade. I’m sorry you feel the need to bottle feed anyone. Backstory? My god man. Word is word. Premium member? So you pay to play. Should I bow or curtsy. No disrespect. So go ahead and splain the backstory to me Lucy. It would be nice to hear an unbiased opinion on it. You know I was born… but it wasn’t yesterday. Doesn’t take a lot to understand the undertones within this site. If I’m out of line for calling it as I see it then you should take it to the president. We are truck driver’s. Not god

Btw thanks for welcoming me. I’m a visitor but I’m not uneducated. Doesn’t take much to see through the smoke. Have a good night

Need a hug. Don't call me Lucy but Shirley may be Ok if you do it in a nice fashion.
You’d better come with your guns loaded with me. I don’t take to ignorance. I’m a man who doesn’t take lightly to smart mouth childish right wing ignorance. And I’m not a liberal. I just handle both sides equally. You bring stupidity. You will receive the same Susie

You’d better come with your guns loaded with me. I don’t take to ignorance. I’m a man who doesn’t take lightly to smart mouth childish right wing ignorance. And I’m not a liberal. I just handle both sides equally. You bring stupidity. You will receive the same Susie
The more I look the site over it’s obvious they refer to nonconformists as trolls. I won’t call you one until you harass me again. Then I think I can legitimately call you one.