XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

This thread is about XPO. If the XPO employees vote for Teamsters representation, the ones in the Central States Pension Fund area will not be placed in the Central States Pension Fund. The unfunded liability is too much.

The only thing XPO workers would gain would be the grievance procedure. The work rules are already generally in place, while there might be some changes, they’d be pretty minor. Their healthcare would be negotiated and they might still have to pay a little bit.

Realistically, what would they gain? We always see “a voice at the workplace” “respect on the job” and healthcare and retirement.

What is the difference between the 401k they have and the “Teamsters 401k”?
1. Right no CS.
2. I don't know if that would be the only thing, but there would be no more take.
3. Most likely small gains at first, but like I said no take, unless they voted for it...
4. I worked for Con-Way at one time and not long after I left they changed the 401k contribution rate, can't do that with a contract....
the reply to the vote till you get it right comment is at least now there is a new regime coming in who will hopefully fight for the rank and file...Hoffas father would be embarrassed by what his kid has done...

What other “freight” companies beside ABF? Standard Forwarding (owned by DHL) and Yellow (formerly YRCW) are both in at reduced rates.

I’ll save you a Google search, none.

The cement mixers have a class 17 pension.

The grocery warehouse and haulers have a class 17 pension.

The manufacturers have a class 16 pension if they have a pension at all.

The Teamsters union dropped the ball.

First, by not doing a massive organizing drive in the early 80’s in truckload and ltl.

Second, by undermining every CSPF member letting UPS out.

Third, letting the NMFA get busted up by giving YRCW companies a different expiration date than ABF and allowing the YRCW companies to put in less to CSPF.

So facts make me anti-union?
Wow! You are just simply anti union. You have no idea what you’re talking about. So you’ve anointed yourself judge and jury on what the CS Pension is comprised of. You go ahead on and keep filling your cup. Do you have any idea how many locals are umbrella’d in the CS? No you don’t! I’m not upset you are anti union. You don’t know what you’re missing. And that’s ok too.

ABF381, see?

PIzza my dad and brother are both members of the CSPF. My dad is retired, my brother works at ABF.

You’re absolutely right. I don’t know how many Teamsters Locals have members under the umbrella of the CSPF. I do know for a fact that Local 200, 344, 695, 662, 120, and 325 do. That is Milwaukee, WI x2 (200, 344), Madison, WI, Appleton, WI, Minneapolis, MN and Rockford, IL. Those are only the ones I am absolutely sure of. The Central States Pension Fund does cover from Texas to Florida to Ohio to Minnesota and all states in between, with exception to Pennsylvania funds and Chicago funds.

I do know that 16 and 17 are no where near the monthly payout as an 18 pension class is. That is because I’ve looked into going to work for employers who’s employees were Teamsters.

Once again, if you have any facts to bring please do so.

Do you know what it means when a pension goes into the “Red Zone”? The 365,000 members and retirees of the CSPF sure do.

Last edited:
The only thing XPO workers would gain would be the grievance procedure. The work rules are already generally in place, while there might be some changes, they’d be pretty minor. Their healthcare would be negotiated and they might still have to pay a little bit.

Realistically, what would they gain? We always see “a voice at the workplace” “respect on the job” and healthcare and retirement.

What is the difference between the 401k they have and the “Teamsters 401k”?
You are correct that XPO would not be placed into the CSPF. But depending on how future contracts would be negotiated and voted on, you guys stand to gain a great deal.
#1 You would most likely get a pension similar to what UPS Freight has that the employer pays for on your behalf.
#2 You would get a grievance process and the ability to have your suspension, discharge, or work around complaint heard and decided on by a panel of an equal number of Teamster reps and Company reps. Right now, you are at the companies mercy and an “at-will-employee”.
#3 Your current work rules would most likely be improved favoring seniority and the company would not have the ability to change the rules as they see fit.
#4 Your health care plan would most likely be greatly improved over time compared to what you have now. And probably at a much lower cost to you.
This is just a few of the improvements you would most likely see. I read one of your posts the other day about “rail usage”, and you made a comment saying ”It’s sad that the Union guys need language in a contract to prevent getting screwed by something like that”. Just so you know, that language is there to prevent the company from abusing the ability to rail freight at the expense of losing or hiring employees. What would you do if your company did start railing more freight costing jobs? The answer is absolutely nothing as you currently have no say as to how the company operates. We Teamsters have language that limits the amount of freight that can be railed by our employer, and it is subject to the grievance procedure. That means that if our employer is found to be in violation, it is stopped, and monetary claims will most likely be received by all of those that were affected by the violation.
I will get off my soap box now as I am not an XPO employee. I simply wanted to defend Teamster representation. But to each their own. I guess!!

Steward of the Rock, I did post that. I think you missed the point of it though.

The only time you see Estes trailers on trains is when they don’t have the drivers to pull them. When nobody is hiring, you still see ABF and Yellow using the rail. When Estes has all their seats full you don’t see them on the train. Snake eyes posted it to try and make Estes guys think they need the Teamsters.

One thing he is missing is that the constant condescending attitude towards us non-union guys from “some” Teamster drivers is one very big thing that keeps us from wanting to vote the Teamsters in. Some is in quotes because it seems like a major amount but not all of Teamsters are like that. Right here in this thread, pizza guy is being condescending toward me. Guys like him make me have less “ear” for guys like you… see what I mean? What I am getting at?

That conversation probably doesn’t belong here though.

Steward of the Rock, I did post that. I think you missed the point of it though.

The only time you see Estes trailers on trains is when they don’t have the drivers to pull them. When nobody is hiring, you still see ABF and Yellow using the rail. When Estes has all their seats full you don’t see them on the train. Snake eyes posted it to try and make Estes guys think they need the Teamsters.

One thing he is missing is that the constant condescending attitude towards us non-union guys from “some” Teamster drivers is one very big thing that keeps us from wanting to vote the Teamsters in. Some is in quotes because it seems like a major amount but not all of Teamsters are like that. Right here in this thread, pizza guy is being condescending toward me. Guys like him make me have less “ear” for guys like you… see what I mean? What I am getting at?

That conversation probably doesn’t belong here though.
I understand, and I completely agree that being condescending is no way to get the word out. For me, it is a no brainer though. I left a great job at Frito Lay nearly 28 years ago to work at ABF for all the reasons I mentioned above. But the big reason was for the health care plan which is second to none. My wife is type-1 diabetic, and the cost of her supplies alone would put me in the poor house if I had to pay for them out-of-pocket. Best move I ever made. These young guns that are after the fat pay check usually don’t realize how important a good quality health care plan is until it is too late. The grievance process would be the next most important thing in my book. I have heard it said before, and it is absolutely true that “No one thinks they need representation until they need representation”. And without it, your left representing yourself and at the companies mercy.

I understand, and I completely agree that being condescending is no way to get the word out. For me, it is a no brainer though. I left a great job at Frito Lay nearly 28 years ago to work at ABF for all the reasons I mentioned above. But the big reason was for the health care plan which is second to none. My wife is type-1 diabetic, and the cost of her supplies alone would put me in the poor house if I had to pay for them out-of-pocket. Best move I ever made. These young guns that are after the fat pay check usually don’t realize how important a good quality health care plan is until it is too late. The grievance process would be the next most important thing in my book. I have heard it said before, and it is absolutely true that “No one thinks they need representation until they need representation”. And without it, your left representing yourself and at the companies mercy.
For what it's worth, I have long felt that the ignorant, condescending attitude that many of my fellow Teamster brothers have toward non union workers does more harm to the organizing effort than any other issue.

ABF381, see?

PIzza my dad and brother are both members of the CSPF. My dad is retired, my brother works at ABF.

You’re absolutely right. I don’t know how many Teamsters Locals have members under the umbrella of the CSPF. I do know for a fact that Local 200, 344, 695, 662, 120, and 325 do. That is Milwaukee, WI x2 (200, 344), Madison, WI, Appleton, WI, Minneapolis, MN and Rockford, IL. Those are only the ones I am absolutely sure of. The Central States Pension Fund does cover from Texas to Florida to Ohio to Minnesota and all states in between, with exception to Pennsylvania funds and Chicago funds.

I do know that 16 and 17 are no where near the monthly payout as an 18 pension class is. That is because I’ve looked into going to work for employers who’s employees were Teamsters.

Once again, if you have any facts to bring please do so.

Do you know what it means when a pension goes into the “Red Zone”? The 365,000 members and retirees of the CSPF sure do.
Last sentence answer yes I do. You do realize each and every contract per company or local is negotiated on an hourly contribution. Your bargaining agreement has those specifications in it. When you’re in the umbrella and you know what betters your situation you can easily transfer to another company or another location within your company. Check this out…… in California they have a northern and southern district. Within those districts your company’s contribution depends on what it’s local bargaining agreement has in its contract. Your health insurance is also affected by location. As you transferred from facility to facility going south to north the company paid whatever your local had bargained for. Always basing your last 5 year average as your hourly company contribution which affects your bottom line in the form of payout. Sometimes people don’t understand transferring can have a disastrous effect on your final numbers. The National freight contracts use to have the most money going in. I have worked for the locals….. for teamster affiliated companies and I have also served on the boards as a driver member during contract negotiations. I’ve received an education when it comes to the collective bargaining agreements. It’s hard and can bring on a lot of anxiety. Got an education on who your friends were….. and weren’t.

That’s funny. I almost left my job of 25 years to go to the frito lay bins in Merced. Maybe Manteca. But it wasn’t what I wanted and was all nights. Plus I had to leave the beach. Glad you brought that up. Memory from the past.

For what it's worth, I have long felt that the ignorant, condescending attitude that many of my fellow Teamster brothers have toward non union workers does more harm to the organizing effort than any other issue.
I have never disrespected another truck driver especially one who treats me with respect. Whom ever might treat you like that has issues that don’t relate to him being a teamster. I’ve had my brothers disrespect me for no reason. Had to open up a verbal can of whoop azz on him. One In particular. He was such a jerk. That was a long time ago.

eBiTDa they are just one phone call away. The nice thing about the IUOE is that pension and healthcare benefits are based on your hourly work. If you work x amount of hours you get x amount of pension. That way you aren’t paying for a guy who “hasn’t touched a steering wheel in winter since ‘98”, or the guy who is always on light duty or off every softball season, or the FMLA squad. We all know the types. Union or non we all know the type. If you get forced to work 60-70 hours every week you should be compensated for all of them. The Teamsters model is 40 hours. That is why they always have 2 guys doing the work of 3. It is cheaper for the company. Every hour in should go to retirement. Our time is traded for money, and our labor should count for something more than just wages past 40 hours in my opinion.

Amigo if you choose to show your colors you should probably take your words to that supposed salute the military forum. That’s where they wear the red hats.
My colors? I presented a chart in a non-partisan way, did I not? Take my words to the military forum? Unless you're a moderator, I fail to see where you have the authority to ask me to do that and I didn't see a moderator sticker under your name. And what exactly is a red hat?

eBiTDa they are just one phone call away. The nice thing about the IUOE is that pension and healthcare benefits are based on your hourly work. If you work x amount of hours you get x amount of pension. That way you aren’t paying for a guy who “hasn’t touched a steering wheel in winter since ‘98”, or the guy who is always on light duty or off every softball season, or the FMLA squad. We all know the types. Union or non we all know the type. If you get forced to work 60-70 hours every week you should be compensated for all of them. The Teamsters model is 40 hours. That is why they always have 2 guys doing the work of 3. It is cheaper for the company. Every hour in should go to retirement. Our time is traded for money, and our labor should count for something more than just wages past 40 hours in my opinion.
Oh so it’s ok for you to prop the operating engineers which you aren’t even a member of correct? You say you’re a driver. Correct? For years I got paid for every hour worked. Years man. Then through the collective bargaining agreement it changed. Operating engineers have no guarantee they’ll work 8/20/40 or any hours in a given week. I’ve had friends operating loaders my whole life. You keep talking about entities you don’t understand nor do you even work under. There’s the rub. You are flailing your arms about something you don’t grasp. You say you have family that are teamsters right? If they’re not happy they should follow you. Ok? I mean obviously you’re a really happy guy. Obviously. I feel pretty good about where I’m at. There are always going to be some that find fault with anything and everything. You sir should try seeing sunshine and blue skies. I’ll back out of this for a while. I’ve got plans for the next few days. And they don’t include working.

You are right.....I cringe when I see it in person or on here....its like anything else you get a bunch of people together, there will probably be more than a couple arrogant jerks.....the teamsters themselves have made many mistakes, but name a big perfectly run organization....and lastly when it comes to members we are one of the few organizations that don't pick our own members....

Oh so it’s ok for you to prop the operating engineers which you aren’t even a member of correct? You say you’re a driver. Correct? For years I got paid for every hour worked. Years man. Then through the collective bargaining agreement it changed. Operating engineers have no guarantee they’ll work 8/20/40 or any hours in a given week. I’ve had friends operating loaders my whole life. You keep talking about entities you don’t understand nor do you even work under. There’s the rub. You are flailing your arms about something you don’t grasp. You say you have family that are teamsters right? If they’re not happy they should follow you. Ok? I mean obviously you’re a really happy guy. Obviously. I feel pretty good about where I’m at. There are always going to be some that find fault with anything and everything. You sir should try seeing sunshine and blue skies. I’ll back out of this for a while. I’ve got plans for the next few days. And they don’t include working.
Is it impossible for anyone to look into anything and make an opinion on what they see? Or to learn about things they choose to not be a part of?

What post made me seem unhappy?

What post made my retired dad and currently working brother, seem like they weren’t happy?

What post makes it seem like I’m “flailing my arms about something I don’t grasp”?

I’m pretty sure that I could sit down and enjoy a meal or beers with ABF381, Steward of the Rock, or just about any other Teamster on here and cut it up like long lost friends and the interaction (the first btw) I’ve had with you, you’ve come away with all of this? Wowsers.

Hard to believe anyone has an opinion different than you in the real world.

My colors? I presented a chart in a non-partisan way, did I not? Take my words to the military forum? Unless you're a moderator, I fail to see where you have the authority to ask me to do that and I didn't see a moderator sticker under your name. And what exactly is a red hat?
Don’t bother Scotch. He knows more about you than you do.

He’s an expert.

I’m pretty sure that I could sit down and enjoy a meal or beers with ABF381, Steward of the Rock, or just about any other Teamster on here and cut it up like long lost friends and the interaction (the first btw) I’ve had with you, you’ve come away with all of this? Wowsers.

Hard to believe anyone has an opinion different than you in the real world.
I was going to start out with a smart aleck remark like if you are buying....but then I thought, "What if SOR brought Puddin and Bertha? Piano Man doesn't make enough to buy for everyone unless he is CEO of OD...I dont want to make you feel bad, so no smart remarks from me...lmao

I self identify as a millionaire CEO so let’s party.
I will let the cousins know that we are going out on the town so they can get out their fancy wear (circus tents with a lot of rope). I sure hope you have a high credit limit on your card. If not, you better bring two cards as Bertha and Puddin’ just don’t know when to put down the fork. They both view a menu as sampler choices and will want to sample the whole thing.
:lmao::lmao::lmao: