XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

I’m union & I’m not poor.... wtf are you talking about?I did not say unions make one poor. I said capitalism provides options. Great options. The fact you are in a union only makes me say, as we are want to here in the South, bless your heart.

I am 95% anti union. I understand there are unions out there, I just don't care a bit for them. Capitalism is king. Try living your life without it. Turn in your phone, computer, clothes, car, house, medical care... On and on. Capitalism makes all those things possible and offers many options. You want to live poor with few options go for it. A minimalist lifestyle might work for you. As for me I love capitalism and the many choices it provides.

Your CEO Jacobs and his rich friends don't agree. Abolish capitalism now ! Communism for all.

I don't have a problem with an individual placing his own self-interest above the interest of the herd.
I understand what you are saying, but.... the first thing that comes to mind is what can you do by yourself? You can't get better benefits or insurance by going to your boss, especially in a big company. If you do that your boss will tell you to get another job. I'm not saying you do this, but the only way I see self interest really working is to go to the boss and throw fellow workers under the bus to get management's favor. I worked at Con-Way Freight when I was laid off from Roadway, and I saw this kind of thing with my own eyes. We had a few guys that fished and drank with the SCM, Those guys seemed to get the best assignments....

I understand what you are saying, but.... the first thing that comes to mind is what can you do by yourself? You can't get better benefits or insurance by going to your boss, especially in a big company. If you do that your boss will tell you to get another job. I'm not saying you do this, but the only way I see self interest really working is to go to the boss and throw fellow workers under the bus to get management's favor. I worked at Con-Way Freight when I was laid off from Roadway, and I saw this kind of thing with my own eyes. We had a few guys that fished and drank with the SCM, Those guys seemed to get the best assignments....

The best job going right now is to own your truck. I wish I had the balls to do it. Them guys are making stupid money right now.

The best job going right now is to own your truck. I wish I had the balls to do it. Them guys are making stupid money right now.
I've considered it.....not for very long though....lots of expenses and of course most O/O's won't tell you that out of pride.......lots of headaches too.....and unless you buy a new truck(which would cut into profits) plan on working on the truck during your few hours of off time.....

I've considered it.....not for very long though....lots of expenses and of course most O/O's won't tell you that out of pride.......lots of headaches too.....and unless you buy a new truck(which would cut into profits) plan on working on the truck during your few hours of off time.....

The guys I know work a week or two a month and make twice what I do. They do a lot of the maintenance themselves. And have space and tools to do it. They talk about not taking runs just to take them. Wait for the good money and then roll. A guy can spend a lot of money thinking he is making money on a crap paying run.

When you retire buy a 2 ton dump truck, you can work at your own pace and make all the money you want hauling top soil & mulch.... The big boys don't want those small jobs.

The guys I know work a week or two a month and make twice what I do. They do a lot of the maintenance themselves. And have space and tools to do it. They talk about not taking runs just to take them. Wait for the good money and then roll. A guy can spend a lot of money thinking he is making money on a crap paying run.
I heard of some leaving here and doing that some are making great money and other are not. From what I found out is the ones that are had a bank roll to back it. Paid cash for everything, had a sizable bankroll in his bank accounts and knows that when he gets pay he has to take money out for future repairs and truck replacement. They also have little or no other debts. Those that are scrapping by. financed or leased there truck have no or a little bankroll. You also need to have some mechanical knowledge. The one I know that did drove a truck all night here at XPO with the check engine light on. What makes it so funny was the reason it was on is because the coolant and oil were low. Sad to say the last I head he isn't make the great money he was told about.

They do a lot of the maintenance themselves.
Most here don't even don't even know how to change a fuel filter. Now you want to add and oil change, put a greese gun in there hand. God forbid they would have to do a brake job. That is a big expense many forget to include when becoming and O/O. Maintenance and repair. One of the main reason I never did it.

Most here don't even don't even know how to change a fuel filter. Now you want to add and oil change, put a greese gun in there hand. God forbid they would have to do a brake job. That is a big expense many forget to include when becoming and O/O. Maintenance and repair. One of the main reason I never did it.

Yeah, I ain't as inclined as some folks to do all that wrench turning. Grease gun and oil change. I am there. But those are not the big expenses. Like you mention. Brake adjustments. Or a pad replacement. Outside my skill set. I don't have a place to do that kind of work or the tools to do it, either. Let alone replacing an air dryer or a thrown spring. These things are expensive and much more so if you are going to pay someone else to do it. But if you have that aptitude. it can make you a bunch of money.

I heard of some leaving here and doing that some are making great money and other are not. From what I found out is the ones that are had a bank roll to back it. Paid cash for everything, had a sizable bankroll in his bank accounts and knows that when he gets pay he has to take money out for future repairs and truck replacement. They also have little or no other debts. Those that are scrapping by. financed or leased there truck have no or a little bankroll. You also need to have some mechanical knowledge. The one I know that did drove a truck all night here at XPO with the check engine light on. What makes it so funny was the reason it was on is because the coolant and oil were low. Sad to say the last I head he isn't make the great money he was told about.

Generally, people that are running their personal finances poorly will run a businesses finances poorly as well.

I haven't heard of any union talk from anybody on here for a long time, is the union drive officially dead at XPO?