XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to think this conversation is over your head.

Who exactly do you feel you are better than and who exactly should be worse off than you ?
I don't feel I am better than anyone. But if I live in Chicago, or Topeka, and we both do the same job, we should and do get paid the same, working for the same company. Xpo can call it anything they want, to tell their people it may, or may not cost more to live there. I see it as paying more in metro areas to keep the unions away.I guess my original post may not have explained what I was trying to put across. As far as I know, Conway, is the only Conway that was operating in this country, bought by xpo. Was not talking about all the other things xpo has around the globe. Just the Conway in this country, that is now xpo freight. Hope I made myself a little more clear, H. Thanks. End of story for me.

Three awesome posts in sequence. I wish I had read them before I responded to other users. Good stuff here.

I agree they won't just walk up and fire him immediately. But that bulls eye has got a couple more rings on it now.
Most of the people I know in real life that post on here don't hide BUT they don't "poke the bear in the eye"

There are SO many other ways that this guy could have went about getting his point across that would have been effective but but brought less heat.

He will be under a microscope. Every decision will be questioned and all mistakes highlighted. We have a huge employee handbook - technically , you break rules all the time , this guy will find this out the hard way. Just my opinion though.

I'll just go ahead and assume you're serious with this question.

Your market value as an employee is how much they have to pay to get you in the door and keep you on board. If you live in a town with a lot of truck drivers, your value is lower- you're easy to replace. If you live in an area with mostly union carriers, your value is higher- you might go work for more money with the other guy. If you live in San Francisco, your value is higher than someone who lives in Topeka because it costs more to live in CA.

It's not, as the union likes to frame it, simply how much the company likes you or how hard you work. If there's only one painter in your town, it's going to cost more to paint your house. If there's 50 painters, it's going to be pretty cheap. Are you going to pay one of those 50 guys twice as much to do the job just because that one guy makes more in another town where he's got a monopoly? Of course not- so why would XPO or any other corporation?
Thanks, you nailed it. The term "market value" was used by our regional manager when we asked why we didn't get the "big raise" that most of the then Boston region got. It does stick in my craw a bit working side by side with others who make more doing the same job, but we all deal with it. It's not like it doesn't happen everywhere with every job to some extent. And I definatly feel for those who work here and don't get overtime. But again, it's market value! The company isn't going to pay you any more then they feel they have to right?

Thanks, you nailed it. The term "market value" was used by our regional manager when we asked why we didn't get the "big raise" that most of the then Boston region got. It does stick in my craw a bit working side by side with others who make more doing the same job, but we all deal with it. It's not like it doesn't happen everywhere with every job to some extent. And I definatly feel for those who work here and don't get overtime. But again, it's market value! The company isn't going to pay you any more then they feel they have to right?
The executives that run XPO Logistics LTL were asked about no overtime in the South directly by a driver in the podcast last month and their answer had nothing to do with market value.

In so many words they said they won't do overtime in the South because they're competitive with the other LTL carriers in the region. And , yes , I know you can make the "market value" case but the way I took what the executives said is that XPO won't pay overtime in the South because you can't make them.

Last edited:
Here is my take on this on the guy in the video. If you go back to before Con-way back to the CCX, CSE, and what every other ones there were. They all had different pay scales, pay rates, and overtime, I heard as many as 25 different one across this country. The reason they don't get overtime in the south is because that the way it was back before all these different companies merged into Con-way. I now hear that we are down to 5 different pay scales and this has to do with were your barn located. As for the guy in the video I has to say they why did you stay for 16yrs? This is the same for all jobs. Over the years companies have moved to lower labor cost just like the gun industry has moved with the change of states laws.
If you drive 50 miles from my barn, you get paid $2.00/ hr more. It's based on "market value".
It's based on location and demand. If I drive less than 1 mile from my barn I can make $1.50/ hr more, but then overtime is after 50hrs

I don't feel I am better than anyone. But if I live in Chicago, or Topeka, and we both do the same job, we should and do get paid the same, working for the same company. Xpo can call it anything they want, to tell their people it may, or may not cost more to live there. I see it as paying more in metro areas to keep the unions away.I guess my original post may not have explained what I was trying to put across. As far as I know, Conway, is the only Conway that was operating in this country, bought by xpo. Was not talking about all the other things xpo has around the globe. Just the Conway in this country, that is now xpo freight. Hope I made myself a little more clear, H. Thanks. End of story for me.
Sorry to say but that's they way it works. Why does a lawyer cost more in Chicago than in Topeka? I can go on with different jobs. It's all about location

What I don't get is why now. The stories I hear about how you driver were treated back then and had did nothing? The way drivers are treated now vs back then is a total 180. The reason the union did nothing back then was all the companies that were union. When I worked for American Freightways we never even seen a union man at our barn until CF closed. When CF closed about one month later they can and passed out fliers. Go look in the boneyard how many LTL companies in there were union?
Do I believe our pay and benefits are what they should be? no. but will a union fix that I not sure. That why we have this thread.

The executives that run XPO Logistics LTL were asked about no overtime in the South directly by a driver in the podcast last month and their answer had nothing to do with market value.

In so many words they said they won't do overtime in the South because they're competitive with the other LTL carriers in the region. And , yes , I know you can make the "market value" case but the way I took what the executives said is that XPO won't pay overtime in the South because you can't make them.
They don't even have to pay us overtime and that's federal law

Well I'm in the deep south and I work my ass off for this company. The union movement has grown tremendously around here i believe at service center it would pass easily due to the way we're treated. Example of you take a day off we're worked 14 hrs the rest of the week. Seniority means you select your vacation that's it. The bottom guys have it far better than the guys that have paid their dues. Get ready because we're sick of the treatment around here!

It's a complicated topic. With a great deal of range and scope. The whole why this or that thing.

The simplest of answers for why ( you ) get paid what ( you ) do, is that ( you ) continue to return every day and accept that pay.

As far as the conversation for OT after 40 in the south at the old Con-way. It will never happen. They will have the entire country on OT after 50 or 60 before they ever give OT after 40 in the south.

And upnorth will still be making more than all of us. Mushing his triples through snow that would make the rest of us call off and quit.

Well I'm in the deep south and I work my ass off for this company. The union movement has grown tremendously around here i believe at service center it would pass easily due to the way we're treated. Example of you take a day off we're worked 14 hrs the rest of the week. Seniority means you select your vacation that's it. The bottom guys have it far better than the guys that have paid their dues. Get ready because we're sick of the treatment around here!

Stories like this are very concerning. But because of their frequency, I am truly shocked there have not been more votes. While I don't feel the union effort has any merit. Going through all of that just to **** the company off sends an even stronger message than simply quitting.

Con-way did the LTL industry a great service supplying seasoned experienced drivers in such a large quantity.

It's a complicated topic. With a great deal of range and scope. The whole why this or that thing.

The simplest of answers for why ( you ) get paid what ( you ) do, is that ( you ) continue to return every day and accept that pay.

As far as the conversation for OT after 40 in the south at the old Con-way. It will never happen. They will have the entire country on OT after 50 or 60 before they ever give OT after 40 in the south.

And upnorth will still be making more than all of us. Mushing his triples through snow that would make the rest of us call off and quit.
Here's a question... has there ever been a strong union presence in the southern us? Seems no carriers in the south do the OT thing, most are right to work states I think... wondering how strong the presence is?

Here's a question... has there ever been a strong union presence in the southern us? Seems no carriers in the south do the OT thing, most are right to work states I think... wondering how strong the presence is?
The answer is no. The only non union LTL COMPANY that pays OT after 8 or 40 is FedEx ... SAIA pays it after 45. Texas is a right to work state. All other non LTL carriers you get it after 50 ... 55 ... And in Old Dominions case 60. What the Teamsters have in the Texas is all they will ever get. UPSF ... YRC ... ABF ... The competition here is brutal .... Especially in the D-FW and Houston areas which is where the bulk of the freight comes from. The union will never gain new ground in Texas. IMO

The answer is no. The only non union LTL COMPANY that pays OT after 8 or 40 is FedEx ... SAIA pays it after 45. Texas is a right to work state. All other non LTL carriers you get it after 50 ... 55 ... And in Old Dominions case 60. What the Teamsters have in the Texas is all they will ever get. UPSF ... YRC ... ABF ... The competition here is brutal .... Especially in the D-FW and Houston areas which is where the bulk of the freight comes from. The union will never gain new ground in Texas. IMO
Thanks. The argument sure seems regional to me.

Would you rather have longevity with new equip or bigger better paychecks using worn out stuff? Personally, I'd prefer the bigger paycheck, but starting over means giving up vacation time and other things

Status
Not open for further replies.