Yellow | 04-23-2006 More Layoffs At Yellow Freight

So since you guys are so upset with Exxon's profit-- buy their stock! Then maybe you can make $$$$ while sitting by the phone.

Or, as it sounds, you'd rather not, and complain about someone else who did.

I know-- it's slow everywhere. And the price of gas has a lot to do with it. If the cost of filling your tank goes up, and you don't have extra income, you don't have money to buy things. Then that in turn makes the economy slow down (It's called Reaganomics-- same things as increasing taxes kills OUR jobs at the bottom-- while tax cuts, or lower prices get freight moving because people have more money to invest). But there's three lessons to learn here:

#1: Reaganomics works. Why hasn't the government offered to cut out gas taxes to lower the price? Everyone complains about Exxon making profits, and they at least provide a service and the oil. What does government do for their 100% profit on each gallon of gas???? Absolutely nothing. They need to do away with gas tax until this situation calms down.

#2:Who really profits from all this? Iran. OPEC. They stirred the pot by threatening nuclear war. Gas shot up. We need their oil, so they stir the pot ever more. We should have been drilling ANWAR ten years ago, but the environmentalists said don't disturb that frozen tundra. You can blame your sitting by the phone on those environmentalists...........if we had started drilling 10 years ago, our own oil would be on the market right about now. And we wouldn't be fighting wars for oil..........

#3: Blaming others, calling for punishing others, helps no one. So government makes them suffer as well. Does that ever get you a better job??????? No. You control your own situation. No one can make you sit by the phone. And putting Exxon out of business only puts more people in line with you in the job hunt. Quit complaining, put on a game face, make a plan-- and go make money!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck guys! You've all got more patience than I do. I'd have been gone the first time I got less than a 40 hour check.......

May the Good Lord watch over each one of you! (my bark's a lot worse than my bite)

jimmy g said:
and they at least provide a service and the oil.

True BUT,at least in a free market you would have a chance to make a choice and find cheaper gas but that aint the case they are all killin us...If YRCW raised their rates so high the costumer's would look elsewhere for cheaper freight rate....and would find it...now on the other hand with the oil company's your held hostage with the same high prices anywhere you go...:bigfinger:

Try Holland ?

YRC has Holland hiring like crazy everywhere thruout their system.Seems Zollars is taking care of them and slowly selling everyone else down the tubes.Seems strange to me since Yellow runs everywhere Holland runs.Glad I'm retired now.

I recently applied for a city job at yellow and will have a road test on thursday. If they are laying off in chicago ridge why would I want to start to be laid off down the road what is the union doing to protect your job's would it be a good move for me or not or should I just stay where I'm at ....help

I don't know about Chicago Ridge. We're still busy enough in Indy in the city, but have about 10 laid off on the road. Looking back at these posts it seems all the slowness is on the road. They appear to have overhired on the road and are starving people there, but the city/docks seem to be holding their own. I can't explain why, but it appears to be true. Maybe it's because the road overhires to cover vacations and can't use fill-in casuals, where the dock can. On the dock I'd say go for it---- on the road, don't right now, in my opinion........but be prepared to be a 10%er, and possibly only 4 days a week until the vacations start in late May.

I applied for city work - don't want to be a casual that may be laid off in 3 months - I was told I work 5 days 40-50 hours a week - what is union retirement is it a $100. a year of service or what. just wondering if I should stay where im at with 1300/1600 a month . looking for good helpfull iinfo.

Looks like another 10 might get the axe in Columbus. That will be a total of 30 drivers. Everybody keeps saying it will get better. Are you sure. I heard they want to get the extra board down to 100 drivers. Hang in there but how LONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32 guys on the dock at LCP have not got their 40 hours in for a month now! We are starving to death and health insurance we wil be paying for now on are own too...

What does government do for their 100% profit on each gallon of gas???? Absolutely nothing.

I guess you missed the Department of Defense, Customs and Border Protection, Federal Aviation Administration, Department of Homeland Security, etc., etc., etc.....

Dirtball said:
YRC has Holland hiring like crazy everywhere thruout their system.Seems Zollars is taking care of them and slowly selling everyone else down the tubes.Seems strange to me since Yellow runs everywhere Holland runs.Glad I'm retired now.
Dirt what is it going to take for you to see that Holland is a quality company? Holland is not hiring like crazy. Dirt I don't need to explain the diffence in our operation's. What about New Penn, Roadway and the others, they also run those areas. Notice one small detail Benny Hill wrote in his last post on Roll-Call. Yellows net profit was down considerably. Lower than Roadways and only 9 mil more than YRC regional. You used that same old theory that USF took care of HMES and know Zollars is doing the same thing. Dirt support from our retirees is very important to our union's future. GRIZZ

Dirtball said:

Hey now its all good. ain't know one going down the tubes. don't let paranoia set in,that aint healthy at all

STL called back the 13 roadmen they had layed off according to the Dec. COO when we were a minus 21 and only 8 moved out. The bottom of the board has been working their butts off for over a week and we're busy as hell. Hope it stays this way.

I'm a probationary at CVE waiting for my first run for a month now. Last night they got thru the board including laid guys except for the last two and they're busy again today so maybe soon for me.

Call Backs at COL

The company laid off 10 drivers a couple of weeks ago. I heard 10 more notices sent out Friday at Columbus ,Ohio. Are any other Terminals laying off or just Columbus. Would like to hear from other Terminals on Layoffs !
:chairshot:

I am presently laid off from Yellow in Col, they just called back 8 drivers ahead of me, they still have drivers with 18 yrs sen laid off.

laid off in COL

yeah - what is up with that - don't we still have a few still on layoff?

We had an approximate 225 board in COL, they transfered about 40 out, then laid off another 60 that they said that they probley would not be back, then laid off about 50 more. We now have a 50 man board that is working. What is strange is that we have more work in COL yet they won't call any more drivers back.