Yellow | 04-23-2006 More Layoffs At Yellow Freight

But how many will pass a **** test or how many would still be there after a week?

probably not many. BA told me today these 4 hr casuals will have to pay iniation fee(250) to join the union and union dues were 2.5 x hourly rate (14) + 5 dollars. thats 40 a month. almost a days pay. if management tells them the truth about not being "on the board", or no chance of it, many will probably leave. if my info is wrong then please let me know

40 applicants, I guess that answers many people question when they say who would do this for 4 hrs and that amount of money... :duh:
Absolutely. What better way to supplement your income? As stated, most will be either college kids or blue collar workers looking for some extra cash. Sort of a 2nd job.

Absolutely. What better way to supplement your income? As stated, most will be either college kids or blue collar workers looking for some extra cash. Sort of a 2nd job.

We got a different group of folks out here in the southwest. They don't speak English. They will be driving your trucks someday.

It's all been a smoke and mirrors game with the economy .... in one speech inflation has held steady, but they never seem to include energy or health care costs. Factor that in ... and we're in the toilet.
Life is good ..... for the rich !

Not too be a smart /// but what constitutes being rich? I don't think you can put a dollar amount on that. Obviously is your making millions you are rich, but what if you are 23 no wife,kids or bills. You live in a condo you bought outright with money you saved, and your making 65,000 a year. Is that rich? Or your a family of 5 making 250,000 a year with a 3500 mortgage payment and 2 car payments, plus sending your kids to a private school. Is that rich? How about the small business owner who grosses over 500,000 a year, but nets 80,000. The government calls these people rich.

So I'm watching a small town tv channel, wtwo in Terre Haute IN, and they have job listings each day. This is a warehouse/forklift job, paying $8-$8.50 per hour, "but before you get excited, there is an ability and drug screen test." I think we should be aware some get excited over $8 per hour and not in a negative way. Yes Yellow and abf share a terminal in Terre Haute.

CGB Layoffs

Hi, it's been a while since i've been here but here it goes........I work at CGB and they are laying off 40 dockworkers and cutting 5 from the yard and then bringing down bid guys to replace the 10%ers. They are calling it a "change of operations" and giving the laid-off dimes a chance to relocate to a few terminals (ill get a list and post the terminals monday). The way it's sounding, Yellow is going to pay for the transfer but not the training for those who choose to move to obtain a CDL. They we're told in a preshift that once they move and in the chance that the job doesnt work out they are screwed. I myself have been in trucking for close to 23 years and never seen it this bad. we are losing close to 4000 (more or less) bills a week, im sure they are moving freight around us to save money. I hope the best for all of us out there. good luck to all of us.

Bullshit sandwich

LOL, I hear ya. Now watch........they will lay off all these guys and offer overtime to every shift. I will never understand that!!!! I have seen them offer CC's and not even 30 minutes later offer 2 or 4 overtime. Oh well, I guess it's not for me to understand lol

holland slow also

holland freight is as slow i am a city driver in col sc and was laid off a couple weeks ago. was told would still work everyday and now the manager says maybe work three times a week after no work for a couple of days. I know that my non-union freinds arent having these problems. If this chinese thing doesnt work out soon then the whole yrcw is in big trouble. Good luck to all that are empolyeed by yrcw. :butt kiss::biglaugh:

Here in Chicago 2nd week in a row ,there was a ad in the Sunday paper looking for EITHER EXPERIENCED OR NOT drivers .The ad said there is a training program .
Never seen Yellow or any other UNION company do so ..

CGB has been hiring drivers for years now and the training facility is in Ladd, IL.(or was, might be LaSalle now). The stewards train the new drivers by taking them to SLC in sleepers, up and over to DEN and back to CGB. We haven't layed off drivers for a year or more, last layoff was Christmas of 2007, for two weeks or so and they were all called back. We can't seem to HOLD ON to new hires because of the 'waiting by the phone' ritual. Now, mind you, this is the ROAD DRIVERS, I can't speak for the city ops. I just took a new hire (red sheeter) to PHX with me and he has been waiting 3 weeks now for his first check to come in. He was contemplating whether he was going to quit. Darn shame if we lose him, he actually knew how to drive a truck!

CGB has been hiring drivers for years now and the training facility is in Ladd, IL.(or was, might be LaSalle now). The stewards train the new drivers by taking them to SLC in sleepers, up and over to DEN and back to CGB. We haven't layed off drivers for a year or more, last layoff was Christmas of 2007, for two weeks or so and they were all called back. We can't seem to HOLD ON to new hires because of the 'waiting by the phone' ritual. Now, mind you, this is the ROAD DRIVERS, I can't speak for the city ops. I just took a new hire (red sheeter) to PHX with me and he has been waiting 3 weeks now for his first check to come in. He was contemplating whether he was going to quit. Darn shame if we lose him, he actually knew how to drive a truck!

Did you turn on the charm and tell him how impressed you were with his manly skill??? OK, I said it. But she'll have to wait til she catches me at CGB, to clobber me for it!!! :hide: You know you're special Annieo. :1036316054:

Why, I outta...........

Be sure to introduce yourself VW. You shouldn't have ANY trouble figuring out who I am.... I'll be waiting for you...:Duel::whistling:

take a number and wait

Be sure to introduce yourself VW. You shouldn't have ANY trouble figuring out who I am.... I'll be waiting for you...:Duel::whistling:
Since Mr. VWAGGS has a propensity for stirring the pot, you will probably have to wait in line!:stirthepot::biglaugh:

Col is down to 24 drivers. 28 on the board 4 on long term fmla's. Will be 8 less after the latest coo. I wish the one with the hardon for col would get over it.

Col is down to 24 drivers. 28 on the board 4 on long term fmla's. Will be 8 less after the latest coo. I wish the one with the hardon for col would get over it.
It still is hard for me to believe that running freight from BLT,PHI,LCP,WDC and other terminals south of I-70/I-76 to CVE rather than COL only to run the freight back south to STL,OKC,AQE,PHX can make Yellow any money. Makes no sense to me, but I'm only a driver, go figure.