XPO | 2010 Freightliner Cascadia

Whose bright idea was it to disconnect the jake brakes on these new trucks? Isn't that going backwards? It'll be just like the old days. Somebody in managment must own stock in a brake shoe company

Whose bright idea was it to disconnect the jake brakes on these new trucks? Isn't that going backwards? It'll be just like the old days. Somebody in managment must own stock in a brake shoe company

They didn't disconnect the jake brakes at our shop....that is an automatic part of the accident avoidance system on the trucks...the jake brake engages automatically when you get too close to a vehicle in front of you.

We were told that the trucks in the NW would have the jake activated.I wouldn't want to come off a 6% grade with a set of triples at 105k without one.Would look like the old days coming off the Grapevine with the brakes smoking and throwing sparks by the bottom.Oh wait, I don't get one so I don't have to worry.I will stay in my 08 and run the better but slightly shorter run that is flat.No brainer.

They didn't disconnect the jake brakes at our shop....that is an automatic part of the accident avoidance system on the trucks...the jake brake engages automatically when you get too close to a vehicle in front of you.

So, if you are going down a mountain, as long as no vehicle is in front of you, the Jake never comes on? Going to lead to a lot of extra shop time for all those brake replacements.........

So, if you are going down a mountain, as long as no vehicle is in front of you, the Jake never comes on? Going to lead to a lot of extra shop time for all those brake replacements.........

MOUNTAIN??? What is that???? LOL!! Cant say i've ever encountered one of those in the midwest.

MOUNTAIN??? What is that???? LOL!! Cant say i've ever encountered one of those in the midwest.

Well...................slide on out here to the Best Coast (sorry, typo.....West Coast)......we have one or two that have a pucker power in the magnitude of + or - 10********......................If you have any freight in the trailers coming off them........WITHOUT A JAKE............Hot diggity ziggity.........them shop fellers are going to busier than a one legged man in an A** kicking contest trying to keep brakes on these new units........:shift:

:flame::flame:
Well...................slide on out here to the Best Coast (sorry, typo.....West Coast)......we have one or two that have a pucker power in the magnitude of + or - 10********......................If you have any freight in the trailers coming off them........WITHOUT A JAKE............Hot diggity ziggity.........them shop fellers are going to busier than a one legged man in an A** kicking contest trying to keep brakes on these new units........:shift:

Yeah, where I am at we have alot of those mountains, we go over a 12,000+ ft pass daily with haz-mat. Two 6% grades each way. Those brakes are going to be on fire.

Update! My SCM told me this morning after he talked to the shop where our first truck is being readied that Freightliner screwed up and didn't install the switches or wiring harness for the Jake brake.The truck will have these installed at the first P.M.Luckily my run is fairly flat and I very rarely use the Jake now.

Update! My SCM told me this morning after he talked to the shop where our first truck is being readied that Freightliner screwed up and didn't install the switches or wiring harness for the Jake brake.The truck will have these installed at the first P.M.Luckily my run is fairly flat and I very rarely use the Jake now.

F'n forgot? How can a company as big as Frootliner forget that? Oh hell, I am still looking for my insurance card, never mind.

Update 2. The story has changed to some bean counter in Ann Arbor didn't realize that we needed Jakes on our trucks.Whatever.

Haven't seen the new ones out here yet but I heard that the xm isn't even hooked up. No jake and well, here is your xm that is not hooked up, seems fair?

Haven't seen the new ones out here yet but I heard that the xm isn't even hooked up. No jake and well, here is your xm that is not hooked up, seems fair?

Ya, there was a 3 page list of items that had to be changed/repaired/replaced/retorqued and inspected by conway before they were put into service. Freightliner had to fix alot of items to get each truck "up to" conway specs. Our shop mgr showed me the list and before and during the holidays the mechanics were working overtime to ready these units. We have had 6 of them released to our service center this week. I'm not sure about the jake brake (we don't have mountains around here) and as for the XM, they will have them activated soon. :shift:

And you'd think with all the prep on these trucks that they would fill them up with fuel!!??? Think again!!! :biglaugh: Guys are getting in new trucks that are out of fuel!! And the fuel dispensing system won't recognize the new truck numbers either!! We sure are prepared here at Conway!!!!:icon_dance:

:ontopic::ontopic:FYI!!!! FYI!!!!! If you have the larger/taller cement parking stall bumpers at any of your service centers, DO NOT pull the new trucks all the way up to the parking bumper. You will rip off the truck bumper!!! The truck bumpers are too low and get ripped off on the cement stall bumpers!!!:poster_oops: 2 drivers already found this out the hard way. I wonder how long it will take to get new parts for these trucks!!?? :flame::flame:

Was told this morning that my XM will be turned on tomorrow morning.Have to turn the to XM preview channel at 9am eastern time for the signal to come in.Also the Jake controls will be installed at the first PM.Bedtime- Steve out!

Put up a picture of the new trucks. Like to see what they look like. Thanks!

Was told this morning that my XM will be turned on tomorrow morning.Have to turn the to XM preview channel at 9am eastern time for the signal to come in.Also the Jake controls will be installed at the first PM.Bedtime- Steve out!

:rofl2::guiness:I was told by HR that the trucks don't have jakes because the drivers that they surveyed said that we didn't need them. It was a driver decision not a management decision.

:rofl2::guiness:I was told by HR that the trucks don't have jakes because the drivers that they surveyed said that we didn't need them. It was a driver decision not a management decision.

Which drivers did they ask? The ones that run 30 miles round trip every night?