XPO | 2010 Freightliner Cascadia

Was told this morning that my XM will be turned on tomorrow morning.Have to turn the to XM preview channel at 9am eastern time for the signal to come in.Also the Jake controls will be installed at the first PM.Bedtime- Steve out!

The XM's will be turned on, it wasn't our fault, there was a mix up in the radio codes and we had to get them every one by unit # to get them activated.

As far as Jakes, don't count on them, I have heard no plans of them being activated.

Not to intrude on your forum, I saw one of the new freightliners in Ft. Smith AR, he was doing P&D, it looked pretty darn sharp if you ask me.

The XM's will be turned on, it wasn't our fault, there was a mix up in the radio codes and we had to get them every one by unit # to get them activated.

As far as Jakes, don't count on them, I have heard no plans of them being activated.

give us XM, power windows and power mirrors and take away jakes? Somebody has got their head so far up there exhaust pipe that can't even think straight. Back to the old days of making a joke of ourselves going down hills. All that smoke is helpful, you can't see the back trailer so you don't have to worry about it. Just when you thought they cared, bammm! They go and do something so stupid. Jakes are a safety thing where the XM, power this and power that are not.

I have been driving one for a week now. I can tell you that the rumors about the "Jake" are false. The trucks do have Jake brakes, however, as of now, the driver has no control over it's operation. Here is how it works...............

With the cruise control on,,,,,,,the C.W.S. moniters the lane in front of you for other vehicles.....when a vehicle is in front of you and is going slower than you are, first you get a visual warning....giving you distance and speed of the object.......if the distance between you continues to decline, about 300 ft out, the truck will automatically start to back off the throttle to adjust your speed to his.......if this doesnt' work fast enough, and the distance is still decreasing, the Jake will come on to further slow you down to match speeds with the lead vehicle......IF this still doesn't created the distance needed, the truck will automatically apply the brakes in a tapping motion to further seperate you from him.

So...........you have a long hill to go down........keep your Cruise set, get in behind another truck that is doing about the right speed down the hill, and follow him. When you get too close, the Jake will come on and stay on as long as you don't touch the foot brake..........if the jake isn't holding back enough, and you get too close, the TRUCK will apply the brakes by itself, to back off the leader far enough so that safe distance is maintained.....Since the truck is applying the brakes, not you, the crusie control stays on and the jake works all the way to the bottom.

I have been driving one for a week now. I can tell you that the rumors about the "Jake" are false. The trucks do have Jake brakes, however, as of now, the driver has no control over it's operation. Here is how it works...............

With the cruise control on,,,,,,,the C.W.S. moniters the lane in front of you for other vehicles.....when a vehicle is in front of you and is going slower than you are, first you get a visual warning....giving you distance and speed of the object.......if the distance between you continues to decline, about 300 ft out, the truck will automatically start to back off the throttle to adjust your speed to his.......if this doesnt' work fast enough, and the distance is still decreasing, the Jake will come on to further slow you down to match speeds with the lead vehicle......IF this still doesn't created the distance needed, the truck will automatically apply the brakes in a tapping motion to further seperate you from him.

So...........you have a long hill to go down........keep your Cruise set, get in behind another truck that is doing about the right speed down the hill, and follow him. When you get too close, the Jake will come on and stay on as long as you don't touch the foot brake..........if the jake isn't holding back enough, and you get too close, the TRUCK will apply the brakes by itself, to back off the leader far enough so that safe distance is maintained.....Since the truck is applying the brakes, not you, the crusie control stays on and the jake works all the way to the bottom.

Sounds like a pretty cool system until you drive it for a long time then get in an older one without that system and drive with the same habits only to crash into something because the system wasn't driving for you. I am not bad mouthing you I am just saying it seems like once you get into a habit of all these new features it would be easy to forget you didn't have them when you're in an older truck.

Sounds like our VORAD and Smart Cruise, same principle but we have control over jake functions when not using the Smart Cruise and the truck will never apply the air brakes.

Just FYI, these devices also have a tattle tell feature, they can review the unit's history after an accident and help exonerate (or crucify) a driver's behavior.

roog

Sounds like a pretty cool system until you drive it for a long time then get in an older one without that system and drive with the same habits only to crash into something because the system wasn't driving for you. I am not bad mouthing you I am just saying it seems like once you get into a habit of all these new features it would be easy to forget you didn't have them when you're in an older truck.

You do get used to this, I've done it in my car before thinking the cruise would adjust and it just doesn't work! :)

roog

Sounds like our VORAD and Smart Cruise, same principle but we have control over jake functions when not using the Smart Cruise.

Just FYI, these devices also have a tattle tell feature, they can review the unit's history after an accident and help exonerate (or crucify) a driver's behavior.

roog

Yeah Vorad is nothing but a noise maker and I try to stay out of trucks with Vorad. Nothing like cruising down the highway at 65 mph only to go under and overpass and have red lights fire up and sirens go off and the words COLLISION ALERT flashing at you. Gotta love it!

Well that is all fine and dandy but where I run, not much traffic let alone someone to follow down a hill. Sorry to find a hole in your plan, but could you come up with something that works for my situation?

Well that is all fine and dandy but where I run, not much traffic let alone someone to follow down a hill. Sorry to find a hole in your plan, but could you come up with something that works for my situation?

No prob.......they are installing the fix, including a manual switch soon. It is pretty simple, can even be done by a vendor at your center without going into a shop location. Now, if I can just put up with the power cut back, until the break-in period is up, I'll be fine.

2vxhxfm.jpg

I found one more. I brightened up the duplicate to see the bumper.
conwaycascadia.jpg

conwaycascadia1.jpg

Can't wait to see the interior shots.

Now you tell me. To late for that, we already bid for the whole year. Maybe I should bring this up so we can rebid everything.:biglaugh:

The WHOLE YEAR!!!

Damn! I guess your terminal doesn't have that new Share the Wealth Initiative (SWI) where you bid only part of the year and then newer guys who feel entitled get top bid the rest of the year. Some places do this with vacation bids 'cause it's only fair you know..........

The WHOLE YEAR!!!

Damn! I guess your terminal doesn't have that new Share the Wealth Initiative (SWI) where you bid only part of the year and then newer guys who feel entitled get top bid the rest of the year. Some places do this with vacation bids 'cause it's only fair you know..........
One of the newbies tryed that with me a while back, changed his mind after I convinced him that I was going to have to execute him on the spot. He said that I would end up in jail, I said I know, but I've been there before and don't mind going back, and either way, he wasn't getting my run.......

Haven't heard much from him since..........

LOL nice ... :biglaugh:

Each time I read these forums and your post is in the middle of the screen either my wife walks by in which case I get a dirty look because of your signature photo or my daughter comes over in which case I have to close the page. Do you really need to have those lovely things out in the open like that?

The WHOLE YEAR!!!

You know, funny you should bring that up. At our SC we go by the book. The manager is a by the book kind of guy and if he is not doing it right, he will change things until they are doing it right. Sometimes it is kind of a pain to go by the book but, at least you know where you stand. Some guys will come up to him and say "well, the other terminals aren't doing it that way" and he replies "that's because they are doing it wrong". "So, I have that going for me" (Bill Murray "Caddyshack").