XPO | 2010 Freightliner Cascadia

Good picture. Haven't seen one on the road yet. There must be about 20 of them sitting behind the Milton, Pa shop. Anyone take a peek inside?

yes. completely different layout than what we are used to . the whole dash is totally different. the radio is just about where the vorad indicators were in the '01 series before they were pulled out. it has the standard c/b deck mount on top of the dash like all freightliners. ten speed, both driver seat and pax seat are the taller versions like in the '08 Sterlings. no hand rail down the side, almost fell on my *** getting in. small grab rail just inside the door, there is a switch on the floor, about where you would normally leave your gloves, to operate the interior lights. split windshield, with the divider down the middle, not the totally clean wraparound like in the Sterling. The steering wheel has buttons built in to control the stereo and cruise etc. Not sure if those will be deactivated before they are put into service or not. There is an odd looking device mounted to the far right side of the dash, I was told that is the
"lane control warning device", but I haven't confirmed that yet.

That's what I remember from a brief visit.

I have seen the new tractors

we have two of them at our shop. very nice, only problem is they don't have jake brakes. power everything, all the lights and buzzers but no Jake brakes. WTF!!!!! I am out west, lots of mountain passes, I would like to know who made the decision to not have jake brakes and :nutkick:

So ... what is the advantage .. less fuel consumption ?

The advantage is weight savings. It would make more sense if it was a liftable axle to save on tire wear for that axle. Hope whoever uses a tag axle put it in the front position and put a full locker on the single drive axle.

cost... no read end or power to it. Just air bags to balance a load. the advantage was you could put 34,000 lsb on per only 20,000... Remember how the old dollies could convert a single axle to a tandem? Jeff locks? Now that was just great to put together in the ice and snow.

The advantage is weight savings. It would make more sense if it was a liftable axle to save on tire wear for that axle. Hope whoever uses a tag axle put it in the front position and put a full locker on the single drive axle.

Full locker would be nice, I did a Sat run yesterday and running up the ice and snowpack hills, (a pup with one stack of pallets and one pallet of chicken), as you know I hit the fuel and the dang thing slides sidways, I gotta let off and wind up lugging it up the hill, I would prefer to put just a little power to the drives and have the darn thing stay straight when it spins!!

yes. completely different layout than what we are used to . the whole dash is totally different. the radio is just about where the vorad indicators were in the '01 series before they were pulled out. it has the standard c/b deck mount on top of the dash like all freightliners. ten speed, both driver seat and pax seat are the taller versions like in the '08 Sterlings. no hand rail down the side, almost fell on my *** getting in. small grab rail just inside the door, there is a switch on the floor, about where you would normally leave your gloves, to operate the interior lights. split windshield, with the divider down the middle, not the totally clean wraparound like in the Sterling. The steering wheel has buttons built in to control the stereo and cruise etc. Not sure if those will be deactivated before they are put into service or not. There is an odd looking device mounted to the far right side of the dash, I was told that is the
"lane control warning device", but I haven't confirmed that yet.

That's what I remember from a brief visit.

Cool. Gotta be better than the Fordlings.

does it really matter? They are going to by what they want...period! No matter what the chosen few have to say about it.... Just give me something to drive and let it be that... Some people just **** and moan if they were hung with a new rope.... Let's just tuck people... some of you act as if you are buying them 100% instead of just the give backs... concentrate on those .. and do not sweat the small stuff

I wonder how many would disagree with me; These new, and yes, much nicer power units are an effective diversionary tactic to help us forget about all that has been taken away. I'm thinking that my lost retirement "benefits" could buy 4 or maybe 14 tractors. - Who knows. Now there is an ROI that I can understand.

....just a silly thought.

This is all fine and good but this axle must have duel tires to meet the 34,000# drive option for weight, I see whats going on now.

You are right but, the tags of old days did have duals on them. Like I said, they were like any other axle but with no power. You can see a single drive tandem just by looking at the hubs. One is a drive with a big hub for the axle and the other is like a trailer axle that need lube.

For you old timers, do you remember the day when twin screw was a big fan belt between the duals? How about when they experimented with a chain between the axles. That was the beginning of twin screws.

So ... what is the advantage .. less fuel consumption ?

Mostly I would guess would be the cost of having another rearend under the truck. Yes, less fuel to turn the extra rearend and tire wear also. I guess you would say cost savings, like no passenger seat in the new trucks. I feel that better to have it and not need it rather than to need it and not have it.

does it really matter? They are going to by what they want...period! No matter what the chosen few have to say about it.... Just give me something to drive and let it be that... Some people just **** and moan if they were hung with a new rope.... Let's just tuck people... some of you act as if you are buying them 100% instead of just the give backs... concentrate on those .. and do not sweat the small stuff

Man, the only one I hear pissing and moaning is you.

Less Federal Excise Tax on the purchase price too

When I was a kid all of the Mack cement mixers were chain drive. When I started driving in 60 and later in the 60s belt drives were common on some tandems.We had many of the old "Japenese Frtl"with dead axle and some belt drives.

When I was a kid all of the Mack cement mixers were chain drive. When I started driving in 60 and later in the 60s belt drives were common on some tandems.We had many of the old "Japenese Frtl"with dead axle and some belt drives.

Man, I am glad someone remembers that stuff. I made be old as dirt but at least I am not alone.:biglaugh:

just for your information the places that have the new tractors, they are supposed to be on the road next week. pretty sure not for triples since we renew the triple permits in june and i havent stickered any of ours for triples yet. you guys will like them i would if i was a driver

just for your information the places that have the new tractors, they are supposed to be on the road next week. pretty sure not for triples since we renew the triple permits in june and i havent stickered any of ours for triples yet. you guys will like them i would if i was a driver

Okay, well I am looking for tractor 432-9808. That is supposed to be my assigned truck. So, if someone sees that bad boy floating around, tell them to get on it and get that thing to Southern Cal. :shift:

20 years 1 million 200000 i lose my truck to a polllock that been there three years took the dolly legs of a trailer broke up a cus dock you got to be kiding do every one a favor and close the doors ill take unployment

20 years 1 million 200000 i lose my truck to a polllock that been there three years took the dolly legs of a trailer broke up a cus dock you got to be kiding do every one a favor and close the doors ill take unployment
What? Try posting while you are sober next time.