FedEx Freight | 2011 Poll Company Seniority or Board Seniority

Company Seniority or Board Seniority

• Company Seniority for all bids and vacations

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • Board Seniority for all bids and vacations

Votes: 90 51.7%

• Total voters
I think company seniority should be how things are allocated as well. It gives everyone more choices and makes more sense. Making a person drop to the bottom, in order to proceed as a road driver or city driver is really unfair after a person puts in so much of ones time and effort into working here. Just my two cents on it!

my opinion is most people wanting COMPANY seniority are the ones...jumping terminal to terminal...bettering themselves or trying to.Then the ones staying at the same terminal from the get go...want board...so both are correct in what will be right for THEM and not the masses...I have been at the same terminal for 9 yrs...started on the city board-went to the road...and I now bid my vacation by terminal board seniority after a city driver hired 2 yrs after myself....because of jobclass/board seniority...on pay day tho I am very happy and I bettered myself. Now if a leapfrogger comes along and bumps me down further...because they can't find a home. That would tick me off....nuff said....Have a great day. Oh by the way my 9 yrs here puts me at #9 on a 65 man board.

Redoing the policy now = epic fail! How many people made their decision to remain with, or leave FedEx based on the existing seniority policy? Talk about the classic bait-and-switch...

It's funny how this poll has become a recurring theme on TB. It's like my kid asking if he can watch TV 87 times in a row; the answer is still no Jeff! Lol

According to this poll most people would approve a guy from Seattle with 5yrs and one day with FX, voluntarily tranfering to Dallas and bumping a guy with 5yrs with FX? You're idiots. If it were non-voluntarily or a company layoff situation I'd be with you. Or how about this, a person with 10yrs at FX, 9yrs 363 days on the city board, bumps a guy with 9yrs 362days on the road board? people who would be screaming then about how unfair it is.

According to this poll most people would approve a guy from Seattle with 5yrs and one day with FX, voluntarily tranfering to Dallas and bumping a guy with 5yrs with FX? You're idiots. If it were non-voluntarily or a company layoff situation I'd be with you. Or how about this, a person with 10yrs at FX, 9yrs 363 days on the city board, bumps a guy with 9yrs 362days on the road board? people who would be screaming then about how unfair it is.

Poll says nothing about transferring with company seniority....

Redoing the policy now = epic fail! How many people made their decision to remain with, or leave FedEx based on the existing seniority policy? Talk about the classic bait-and-switch...

It's funny how this poll has become a recurring theme on TB. It's like my kid asking if he can watch TV 87 times in a row; the answer is still no Jeff! Lol

Steelmiller, if polls butthurt you so much, stay away from them.

Poll says nothing about transferring with company seniority....
Yes but the poll has option 1 which by definition would create a nationwide board. Part of me does want this because I would have ended up better off than I did. When we did this transfer thing I was given 3 options. I chose option 1=CDS 2=AMA 3=SFT. I was told the only way I could have option 1 was if I went to the bottom of the board even though I had more company seniority than half the guys above me and more board seniority than 2/3 of them. So it is kind of a sore spot with me.

Steelmiller, if polls butthurt you so much, stay away from them.

Easy there trigger. My analogy used my kid, (who I love dearly). I don't know how that came off as "butthurt". I must not have enough Co. seniority to see the logic.

Easy there trigger. My analogy used my kid, (who I love dearly). I don't know how that came off as "butthurt". I must not have enough Co. seniority to see the logic.

Probably not, everytime a poll like this comes up you think you are going to attack me.... Got news for you pal, if you want to attack someone on Truckingboards, I suggest you pick someone else...

Truckingboards does not tiptoe around individual posters personality, and this includes you.

Board, I didn't hire on to be a city driver and I shouldn't be forced to be one. I've moved by choice to a different terminal one time after i had been with the company 6 months so from bottom of road board to bottom of road board. Have been forced to move or find a new job now 3 times. I've paid my dues as a road driver I don't want to do city. My hat is off to the guys that do. I have a night run and work weekends still if need be. I'm a long way from the top.

Board, I didn't hire on to be a city driver and I shouldn't be forced to be one. I've moved by choice to a different terminal one time after i had been with the company 6 months so from bottom of road board to bottom of road board. Have been forced to move or find a new job now 3 times. I've paid my dues as a road driver I don't want to do city. My hat is off to the guys that do. I have a night run and work weekends still if need be. I'm a long way from the top.

I agree. Good post.

I hired on with FXNL to be a city driver because there weren't any road openings at the time. 3 road jobs came open at my terminal and I signed up to go. Everyone had the opportunity to use there company seniority to sign up for the road jobs and chose not to. 3 weeks later they decided to hire 37 more road drivers and all of a sudden all the people that passed the previous jobs decided to go to road. Is it fair that people pass the jobs because they don't want to be on the bottom when 3 are hired but come over when 37 are hired and then could cause you to get laid off. If these people would of went to the road the first go round then I might of stayed in city instead of taking a chance of being on the bottom of the board by co. seniority and possibly getting laid off.

I agree with Jeff on 50%. I think it should be company seniority. However, you shouldn't be allowed to switch from city to road or road to city. I saw too many city guys salivating at the chance to go to the road board when the merger was announced thinking that they would be able to jump to a daytime road bid and make an additional $10,000, $20,000 or $30,000 a year when they hadn't paid their dues on the road board like the rest of us. Sorry, but if you didn't want to claw your way up the road board by working the dock and running shuttle at night (all the while giving up Friday nights and weekends) until you landed a 200 plus mile run, then you shouldn't expect to jump ahead of everyone else.
You got it right! 2 separate boards each based on company seniority. NO jumping from city to road and then back to a city bid. And the 6 month bid is fine with me.

OK, I understand the views of some. Board Seniority is good to a certain degree. However many of us made or decisions to transfer from one job class or center to another based on what the company told us or the knowledge we had at hand. Example: we where told that FedEx West and East would never merge and then we where told that we would not merge with National. We all know how that turned out. If we had known in advance that these events would take place our decisions would had been different. FedEx West "AKA" Viking Freight had a policy that said that if there was a change in operation that company seniority would be in effect. When they decided to merge company's they should have used this policy. Its only right.

Seniority works for city, because you just bid starting times. For the road, you bid runs. We have 4 bids running to the same hub +1 meet & turn. Freight has dropped off to the hub, so the 4th driver with 9 years company /3 yrs roadtime is sitting home 2 nights a week, while the driver with the meet & turn is running every night, even though he's a new hire with just 4 months with the company.
That doesn't seem right.