FedEx Freight | 2011 Poll Company Seniority or Board Seniority

Company Seniority or Board Seniority

• Company Seniority for all bids and vacations

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • Board Seniority for all bids and vacations

Votes: 90 51.7%

• Total voters
Seniority works for city, because you just bid starting times. For the road, you bid runs. We have 4 bids running to the same hub +1 meet & turn. Freight has dropped off to the hub, so the 4th driver with 9 years company /3 yrs roadtime is sitting home 2 nights a week, while the driver with the meet & turn is running every night, even though he's a new hire with just 4 months with the company.
That doesn't seem right.
That is the luck of the draw. If you bid it you are stuck with it. He will have to pay attention and bid accordingly next time.

swagon said:
Seniority works for city, because you just bid starting times. For the road, you bid runs. We have 4 bids running to the same hub +1 meet & turn. Freight has dropped off to the hub, so the 4th driver with 9 years company /3 yrs roadtime is sitting home 2 nights a week, while the driver with the meet & turn is running every night, even though he's a new hire with just 4 months with the company.
That doesn't seem right.

So in 6 months you get to rebid and bid smarter. Never take the last bid in a group of bids. It's the luck of the draw. What do you want them to do just because that bid turns out crappy rebid or kick the other guy of his. Not fair !!!

That doesn't seem right.

That's just part of the bid process. It's always a gamble and you need to be a good guesser to figure out what run to bid. What good would a bid be if the senior guy could bump the junior guy when his run is canceled?

Never take the last bid in a group of bids. It's the luck of the draw. What do you want them to do just because that bid turns out crappy rebid or kick the other guy of his. Not fair !!!

At a big hub that's not always true. The last DSM shuttle gets canceled here and the guy running it usually runs a better run.

At a big hub that's not always true. The last DSM shuttle gets canceled here and the guy running it usually runs a better run.

Yep I've seen that happen. Guys in big centers that can't get a good bid will bid the last one in a series on purpose. They get canceled a lot and run a longer run instead.

Some of you guys are a trip. You took city because you didn't want to be gone from home and now that the road does meet and turns you want to go to the road. Well, we all wish we could have our cake and eat it too. It is very clear on what to do, make the switch, go to the bottom of the board and get your bid seniority back in a year. You can't have it both ways. I could imagine what it would be like if they allowed this to take place. People would be going back and forth all the time. My hats off to you guys that run the city. I have done it and didn't care for it. I don't have the patience or the temperament for that type of job that's why I took the road.

Some of you guys are a trip. You took city because you didn't want to be gone from home and now that the road does meet and turns you want to go to the road. Well, we all wish we could have our cake and eat it too. It is very clear on what to do, make the switch, go to the bottom of the board and get your bid seniority back in a year. You can't have it both ways. I could imagine what it would be like if they allowed this to take place. People would be going back and forth all the time. My hats off to you guys that run the city. I have done it and didn't care for it. I don't have the patience or the temperament for that type of job that's why I took the road.

sounds good, when does it start?

One board is great! I know a few drivers in Irving, 2 in Dallas, and a lot of drivers in Sunnyvale.... So, that qualifies me to give my opinion. Hi ya'll!!

Jeff, Do you really think it's fair to take a road driver, who got a job as a road driver because he needed to make a certain amount of money to pay his bills and support his family to be forced back to the city (or a road run that gets cancelled all the time) and lose his house? If the company went to a one board system you'd have drivers on the bottom of the road board running into money problems and the would likely turn to the ole teamsters for help (not that they would help them any). I don't think a one board would help or hurt me very much, but some of my friends would likely have to look for a different job if they were forced to the city, and I don't think that's fair. The way I see it, one board would only help two groups any large amount, 1: Road drivers that transferred centers or switched from the city too late and 2: city drivers that have been here forever.

Jeff, Do you really think it's fair to take a road driver, who got a job as a road driver because he needed to make a certain amount of money to pay his bills and support his family to be forced back to the city (or a road run that gets cancelled all the time) and lose his house?

Jeff will just tell you he should have paid off his house. Everyone should be debt free, right Jeff?

Jeff, Do you really think it's fair to take a road driver, who got a job as a road driver because he needed to make a certain amount of money to pay his bills and support his family to be forced back to the city (or a road run that gets cancelled all the time) and lose his house? If the company went to a one board system you'd have drivers on the bottom of the road board running into money problems and the would likely turn to the ole teamsters for help (not that they would help them any). I don't think a one board would help or hurt me very much, but some of my friends would likely have to look for a different job if they were forced to the city, and I don't think that's fair. The way I see it, one board would only help two groups any large amount, 1: Road drivers that transferred centers or switched from the city too late and 2: city drivers that have been here forever.

I did fine as a city driver, there is money to be made..... I don't want to see anybody lose anything...

Personally I think it should be two boards with a year and a day to switch boards, plus the only way to switch boards is if a job was available, so no actual drivers would be bumped, this should apply for road and city...

Some people would bid to the city if this rule was put in place....
I think if you transfer in you should go to the bottom but customer center seniority should prevail

Just my thoughts

Jeff will just tell you he should have paid off his house. Everyone should be debt free, right Jeff?

In my world they would.....

No one ever knows where this life will lead them, I may be debt free today but may be up to my ass one day due to medical... Nobody Knows..

I can tell you though, being debt free is wonderful at this stage of my life.

that's the only way I've been able to last this long here. You never know what's gonna happen and being debt free gives you options you wouldn't have otherwise

That's a close vote; I guess my one vote really made a difference. lol I voted for one board. Ya'll need to do it like Con-way.. one board.

will somebody shoot this horse already.

Come on Joe, you don't think a little message board like this matters do you? The only way they would ever do something like this is if they could gain financially by doing so in my opinion....

Would it be cheaper for them to go to a one board system?

Never will let it go will you. Let it go, just cant can you. I will challenge you to see how long you could stay away from this subject. Maybe next time you would have put on your big boy boots and just went to the road, because now it seems you are addicted to complaining about something you cant have now. Well you snooze you lose. Remember, leave the past in the past and move on if you can and maybe with a little less crying. I know you wont like this and you know who i am talking about, move on already!

Never will let it go will you. Let it go, just cant can you. I will challenge you to see how long you could stay away from this subject. Maybe next time you would have put on your big boy boots and just went to the road, because now it seems you are addicted to complaining about something you cant have now. Well you snooze you lose. Remember, leave the past in the past and move on if you can and maybe with a little less crying. I know you wont like this and you know who i am talking about, move on already!

Who is complaining hawkeye and Why does this subject worry you so much anyway?