ABF | ABF Makes Bid To Bolt NMFA

With Abf pulling out .Will the teamsters be able to deliver the pension they promise.Will it be a white paper agreement.Are we ready to go into a 401k.
The only thing that ABF is pulling out of is TMI (check link above for TMI info)...
The pension issue is nothing carved in stone. That's only B. Davidson rattling his sabre early. ABF will remain in the NMFA. There will be no "white paper" contract with them.

And by the way, let me be the first to say, Welcome to the boards, Double barrel!
Be sure to tell your compadres about us... The more the merrier!

Thank you highway hombre

I came to this site looking for more info on Abf and UPS looking to pull out of the central state pension fund and starting their own.I know the other funds are managed well and the company"s love to put out the doom of all pensions and how they can do a better job manage your money. As most of the teamsters get older it is hard to start a 401k and have some money to retire on. There is this 600 millon dollar figure I see that is throw out there and I think why would they put up that kind of funds as they make nickels on the dollar and would it not be less to pay the funds in as the hours you work every month.

Big Steve,
At Ease Soldier!...

I implied nothing...

My post was only a brief synopsis copied from TMI's website. I know well what the function of TMI and the IBT is at the table. I only pasted that here because some people reading this thread are not familiar with how and who negotiates what on the companies (signatory to NMFA)behalf.
But after re-reading what I pasted here, it could be misconstrued. So here is the link to TMI's website...

Trucking Management Inc. (TMI) Washington DC

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused...

hombre there's no anger just clarification
we are on the same team
if TMI implied that they negotiate on our behalf then they are wrong
it's just you didn't state that:smilie_132:

i went to the website
yes it can be misconstrued
they are speaking for THEIR membership (companies) not the union membership

I came to this site looking for more info on Abf and UPS looking to pull out of the central state pension fund and starting their own.I know the other funds are managed well and the company"s love to put out the doom of all pensions and how they can do a better job manage your money. As most of the teamsters get older it is hard to start a 401k and have some money to retire on. There is this 600 millon dollar figure I see that is throw out there and I think why would they put up that kind of funds as they make nickels on the dollar and would it not be less to pay the funds in as the hours you work every month.

As for hours,absolutely not. Most guys work more then 40/ per week, hell drivers way more. The company would lose on that deal.

double barrel
they do that now but are only required to pay H&W on 40 hours per week in most cases
it depends which local you are in
in my case they pay 8 hrs H&W for each punch, they can pay up to 56 hours if i work 7 days @ 8 hours min per day
in local 560 for instance companies pay H&W on the first 40 hours worked whether it be straight time or OT, whether or not they work 3,4,5,6,7 days

either of two situations or both will solidify the funds
1- new participants or 2- increased contributions
the reason these companies wish to bail out now and pay what seems to be hefty penalties is simple economics
the longer they participate the more costly it will be to withdraw later along with possibly picking up the slack contribution-wise if any more participating companies go belly up
they are just looking to cut future losses (costs) that are inevitable

Seekin Facts

The LTL freight is slowly slipping through our hands. Notice when we go in to pickup that the non-union carriers are loading up, wonder how they took my freight. Sales rep tells me - pricing. Yeah right I said, we're just holding out for the big bucks - tell me - ABF offers 63%, the non-union carriers offer 75-78%....those guys tell me this has been happening for well over a year. Non-Union companies have targeted our freight - do you think this is true? Do you see them getting more freight like a I do? We need to find out the facts!

The LTL freight is slowly slipping through our hands. Notice when we go in to pickup that the non-union carriers are loading up, wonder how they took my freight. Sales rep tells me - pricing. Yeah right I said, we're just holding out for the big bucks - tell me - ABF offers 63%, the non-union carriers offer 75-78%....those guys tell me this has been happening for well over a year. Non-Union companies have targeted our freight - do you think this is true? Do you see them getting more freight like a I do? We need to find out the facts!
You know, back when we were the big three,You yellow and us(Big R), I always said we should have under cut all there big accounts. Maybe I was a genius in my own mind, but would we be here?

You know, back when we were the big three,You yellow and us(Big R), I always said we should have under cut all there big accounts. Maybe I was a genius in my own mind, but would we be here?
CF under cut everyone's rates towards the end, you can't haul freight for nothing, or you will not survive!

I agree!!! The sooner we accept the fact that the union trucking companies no longer control the LTL trucking industry & that we have to play catch up in order to compete, then it will be easier to accept....I don't want to give anything back, but lets face it, the nons are cutting rates & getting all the good accounts thus leaving us to try & squeeze a profit out of the, shall we call them, not such good accounts.

I couldnt disagree more. If you go fill out an ap at any non-union, they are very quick to tell you that they are very 'close' to what the union companies offer. Our contract is the benchmark at which all the non-unions base themselves.

I have to say the pay is similar at non union companies. But what isn't told is that the union companies pay $325 per week for insurance and $170 per week for retirement. When you add that, it's a big difference. DS.

I know that I will get thrown offthe bus for this but here it goes.

I think ( I know I don't get paid to think, I get paid to hold the wheel) that maybe we need to get out of the General Retirement ( Doors opening )

If on this Retirement board it is made up of two phases 1st phase is the Union Workers Representatives. The other phase is Upper Level Management. The Board made up of both works out the details then it goes to the Workers to vote on. (Being picked up )

I don't want to have someone that is a representative for another company,especially if it is a larger company, on the retirement board,making decisions about my retirement.

Mr. Davidson wants to be more flexable. I imagine it is hard to be when we have to follow the same rules as some of the bigger companies that theTeamsters represent. Now don't get me wrong I would like to see ABF answer to us for the retirement.since it is ours anyway.( Being tossed out)

I like this company & I would like to see it stay around for a long time, however, in a Union vs Non Union market we need to do what we can to keep this going. ( Bus hits a big bump in the road )

" Wheels on the bus goes round and round"

tator Chip don't believe everything Davidson says. This company was fine and above board until he took over as CEO. Every since he has been trying to convince us that we are going broke.
Well since he is the head and with out a doubt the highest paid employee I sure would like to know how much of a pay cut he's willing to take.

Maybe start answering his own phone instead
of paying somebody 40 or 50 thousand bucks a year to do it for him.

I wonder just how much of a cut he is willing to take in his retirement plan.

Flexibility was given to ABF in the last contract. It's called RPM by them. PSE by the contract. We gave them an inch and they want a mile.

It is his problem to get the sales force motivated to do their jobs and sell RPM not ours to bend over and say "Please Mr. Davidson sir lay it to me a little deeper."

ABF is making money in spite of how they operate. We all see them throw money away everyday but WE must be more flexible.
I'm not throwing you under the bus Brother but I am asking you really think about some of the propaganda that is being spread around these days.

Davidson calls us his fellow employees and we are supposed to think he's the greatest.

Think he could load a pup the way that we do?
Think he could handle a half a load of hand freight?
Think he would even start to know how to hook a set of pups?
Do you honestly think he cares two cents worth about you or me?

His job, if you want to call it that, is to please the board of directors and the share holders. If it means screwing every last one of us Teamsters you can bet your butt that is exactly what he will do to cover his azz.

I'm off my soap box for a while I guess.

HB

It is something to think about.

Your right about hooking sets and loading those trailers ( kinda like placing a square box in a round hole sometimes ).

On a side note;

I am learning a whole new way of loading trailers. These guys here ought to get in that forklift competition. They are definitely good. You can place one shape into another,even without damaging it.

tator Chip don't believe everything Davidson says. This company was fine and above board until he took over as CEO. Every since he has been trying to convince us that we are going broke.
Well since he is the head and with out a doubt the highest paid employee I sure would like to know how much of a pay cut he's willing to take.

Maybe start answering his own phone instead
of paying somebody 40 or 50 thousand bucks a year to do it for him.

I wonder just how much of a cut he is willing to take in his retirement plan.

Flexibility was given to ABF in the last contract. It's called RPM by them. PSE by the contract. We gave them an inch and they want a mile.

It is his problem to get the sales force motivated to do their jobs and sell RPM not ours to bend over and say "Please Mr. Davidson sir lay it to me a little deeper."

ABF is making money in spite of how they operate. We all see them throw money away everyday but WE must be more flexible.
I'm not throwing you under the bus Brother but I am asking you really think about some of the propaganda that is being spread around these days.

Davidson calls us his fellow employees and we are supposed to think he's the greatest.

Think he could load a pup the way that we do?
Think he could handle a half a load of hand freight?
Think he would even start to know how to hook a set of pups?
Do you honestly think he cares two cents worth about you or me?

His job, if you want to call it that, is to please the board of directors and the share holders. If it means screwing every last one of us Teamsters you can bet your butt that is exactly what he will do to cover his azz.

I'm off my soap box for a while I guess.

:1036316054: Good Post. you are right, someone needs to ask Davidson what is he giving up and how is his flexibility.

since we are on the subject of pay, check your check and make sure you're getting paid whats on your log. We are having a rash of pay shortages(discrepancies)lately. Wonder how much bob gets shorted ach week?

I've just got to know why if all of you are so upset about the upcoming contract negotiations and management not having your best interest in mind, why the heck are you still working for this company? I have wondered this for some time. The times they are a changin, and if you can't adapt see if you can find another company that will support your 1950's mentality. Also, think about all the people who don't even get a pension out there, much less $3000 to $2700 a month. All of your "woe is me" attitudes make me sick. And it's just ridiculous to sit hear and watch you write that Mr. Davidson needs to show you what he's going to concede personally. He's acquired the education and went through the hardships of where he's at today. Luckily for me, I've put into a separate retirement plan over the many years I've worked for the company so I won't be hurting either way. Just seems to me that you shouldn't sneer at the hand that feeds you. You can go work for any amount of other organizations and be much worse off.

kbear2 welcome to trucking boards. It is nice to have you with us.

Opiinions are like butt holes you know? Everybody has one. You just expressed yours and it is different than mine.

If you want to believe all the "woe is me" propaganda that Davidson is spreading you certainly are more than welcome to do so. I choose my side in this debate over 30 years ago.

And it's just ridiculous to sit hear and watch you write that Mr. Davidson needs to show you what he's going to concede personally. He's acquired the education and went through the hardships of where he's at today.

I to have acquired the education and went through the hardships to get to where I am at today. 38 years of "Continuing Education".

Just why do you think it is so ridiculous to ask that "A Fellow Employee" should be willing to answer a question about something he expects of his "Fellow Employees"?

I have adapted quit well sir. I have lived up to my end of a contract that ABF and my bargaining agent(TEAMSTERS) entered into on my behalf.

If he has a problem with the terms of that agreement he should take it up with that agent and not me or my fellow employees.

Sorry if we as your fellow employees make you sick but your attitude towards your fellow Teamster Brothers and Sisters opinions tends to turn my stomach as well.

Once again welcome to trucking boards we are sorry that you are sick.

not sick...just can't fathom why people are miserable and yet keep working for a company even though it's obvious that they think the people running their company can't make valid decisions. I mean come on...you surely had equal opportunities to be in management and have a hand in major decisions...but you chose not to...and in turn, gripe about the way things are. Me on the other hand—I have to go. No more posts for me. I have to haul my freight. Again one last thing...remember that it's easy to second guess the decisions when you aren't the one making them. If you think your opinions are the ones people need to listen to, post them where they count...or talk to Mr. Davidson himself.