ABF | ABF Makes Bid To Bolt NMFA

name a few please as we would all like to know
i think you are wrong as they may be union but are not signatory to the NMFA
We have about 200 members in St. Louis...they are NMFA workers. DHL was once Airborne Express and were NMFA workers. The only difference is that they have an addendum to allow the Company some flexibility as they are not freight workers. The pay, benefits, etc. are at the NMFA level.

I firmly believe that all trucking is not created equal. ABF has in the 25 years I've been here made money. Unforturnately now it has become creatively. 33 years ago UPS made 25-30cents more per hour now it's what $6? If I now have to carry in and set up exercise equip., medical equip. and everything else under the sun that some brainchild sales rep.can concock to make quota or bonus then my pay should reflect that also. Our new work assignments has put me on comp. twice in the past 2 years, none in the previous 31 years. With the 1st vote at UPSF going south what can we as a deminishing entity expect from what was a once family owned buisiness to what is now just a stockholders investment. When Robert Young walked out the door i believe so did our future. I would like to believe that as a seperate negotiation our specific needs would be met realisticly for both sides. Just as a point in closing where I'm coming from I have 33 good years in the very solvent New England Pension Fund and could walk away now,but would like to get 2 more years. I know what it's like to start at the bottom been there twice(not counting the carolina deal). No one wants to give up what they have few leave to try something else hoping it's better. I can't tell you how many non-union drivers want to switch to us but the fear of working nights and layoff in the winter keep them away. Our bottom men can make more in 9 mo. here than 12 at some other companies. Lastly I have a company 401k that has tanked in the last 3 weeks thank God my Teamster Pension hasn't. Hope only the best for all you drivers that have a long row to hoe!!!

don't compare abf to ups as that is definetly apples and oranges
ups (parcel) is a super profitable company as we all know and has the ability to support those wages
for our companies (freight) it remains to be seen but keep in mind these companies that are here now and have survived are making record profits since that strike so you make the determination
as far as your sentiments concerning mr young you better wake up
he chaired TMI during the 1994 negotiations and was a stern advocate of the part timer issue that provoked the strike
if that concession would have flown think in these terms
if you came to abf post 1994 you may have been a part time employee along with a load of bros and sisters from failed freight companies
it was bad enough they had to suffer the indignity of going thru the bull s hit tier pay levels never mind being classified a part timer
wake up brother as the heads of these companies do not have your best interests in the forefront:smilie_132:

Let me see if I have this correct. First you guys want to leave C.S.P.F. then you want to leave N.M.F.A. Whats next leave the I.B.T and join A.P.W.A. WAKE UP Brothers, it's only halftime at the Super Bowl and the score is already Corporate America 2, Working class men and women 0. If you guys think that Bullfrog is doing this because they have your best interest in mind than I have some ocean front property in Iowa I would like to sell you. I can be reached at 1-877-sux a$$

Let me see if I have this correct. First you guys want to leave C.S.P.F. then you want to leave N.M.F.A. Whats next leave the I.B.T and join A.P.W.A. WAKE UP Brothers, it's only halftime at the Super Bowl and the score is already Corporate America 2, Working class men and women 0. If you guys think that Bullfrog is doing this because they have your best interest in mind than I have some ocean front property in Iowa I would like to sell you. I can be reached at 1-877-sux a$$
That's a broad brush you just used to paint all of us with skinnytrucker.

The company wants to do it. We have not voted to allow them to withdraw from the C.S.P.F. and we can not keep them from withdrawing from the T.B.I.

Always got a few that will swallow what ever the CEO has to say hook line and sinker you know.

As some other member likes to say "Time will tell."

Its not just the CSPF that ABF wants to withdraw from, its all the MEPFs that they want to buy out of.

Its not just the CSPF that ABF wants to withdraw from, its all the MEPFs that they want to buy out of.

You are absolutely correct. I had a brain fart or old age has affected my memory one Brother. I watched his little spill (quarterly report) yesterday morning after being up all night.

We have about 200 members in St. Louis...they are NMFA workers. DHL was once Airborne Express and were NMFA workers. The only difference is that they have an addendum to allow the Company some flexibility as they are not freight workers. The pay, benefits, etc. are at the NMFA level.

in our area ( JFK airport ) (former airborne) they belong to local 295 and have an air freight contract and are not under the nmfa and i believe make more than nmfa rates
in our area there are many locals covering different industries and several that cover nmfa jobs so it might be a little more complicated as opposed to areas where one local covers a multitude of industries
perfect example would be Indy and Chicago

Big Steve,
If they do better than NMFA rates up there I'm glad. I just know what it is around here and they've been NMFA for as long as I can recall.

The company wants to do it. We have not voted to allow them to withdraw from the C.S.P.F. and we can not keep them from withdrawing from the T.B.I.

Always got a few that will swallow what ever the CEO has to say hook line and sinker you know.

Suprised it took someone this long to say that.

I just have one question , What seems to be the general consensus among the rank and file at ABF? Is this something that they are will to accept or is everybody up in arms about it? I seem to be hearing about are the reasons why ABF corporate wants out of the NMFA. What do the workers want ? In all fairness I guess that was actually three questions, but I would still appriciate the input.

Vote,or no vote,how can a Teamster company just pull out of their signed contract?

Am I right,or not,isn't a contract an agreement to comply with all the terms?

I'd like to tell my mortage company since the property taxes have gone up so much even though I agreed to this mortgage.
I don't like the payments now.
So I'll give you what I think is a fair monthly payment.

Sorry to say it doesn't work that way.
I agreed to the terms at the time I signed this contract with them,unless I finish paying every cent I owe.
I'm stuck with it if I like it or not.

Apo,
ABF, or any Company for that matter, pulling out of TMI doesn't mean that the NMFA is negated. It means that they don't want TMI doing their negotiating for them on the next contract so they won't pay their fees to TMI. One could see this as ABF not wanting the same thing as YRC in the next contract. It also doesn't guarantee that they'll get anything above and beyond the NMFA. Yellow did this in 1991 and ended up still in the NMFA.

Apo,
ABF, or any Company for that matter, pulling out of TMI doesn't mean that the NMFA is negated. It means that they don't want TMI doing their negotiating for them on the next contract so they won't pay their fees to TMI. One could see this as ABF not wanting the same thing as YRC in the next contract. It also doesn't guarantee that they'll get anything above and beyond the NMFA. Yellow did this in 1991 and ended up still in the NMFA.

ditto big brother
it don't mean squat as what they will eventually sign will be the same contract with maybe some minor differences
:hide:

A little info about TMI...

TMI is the primary multi-employer bargaining arm of the unionized general freight trucking industry. TMI negotiates and administers the National Master Freight Agreement on behalf of our membership. The current National Master Freight Agreement, which was ratified by 86% of the Teamster members voting, expires March 31, 2008.
TMI was formed in 1963 as TEI, Trucking Employers, Inc. In 1978 the name was changed to Trucking Management, Inc., and in 1997 TMI became a division of MFCA. On October 1, 2005, MFCA was changed to Trucking Management, Inc. (TMI).

TMI Members

ABF Freight System, Inc.
New Penn Motor Express
Roadway Express, Inc.
USF Holland
Yellow Transportation

Jim Roberts, President

Note: MFCA, Motor Freight Carriers Association (now defunct)

highway hombre
i need to correct a few items you stated
first TMI doesn't administer the contract, they facilitate the negotiation of it only
nor do they negotiate on the union membership's behalf as you implied
they negotiate and represent the corporate member's interests only
for the unions we have the IBT negotiating and representing all participating local union's interests
the IBT negotiates on our behalf and aids in the enforcement of the contract
believe it or not the IBT like TMI are not signatory to the NMFA only the member organizations they represent are
simply put both organizations are bargaining agents
it is mainly up to each and every local who is signatory to enforce the terms of the contract
TMI fascilitates an easier path in negotiating as if it did not exist the unions would have to bargain with each individual carrier separately more than likely prolonging the entire process and not achieving a Master agreement
in the past that factor was much more important as there were literally many many more member companies belonging to TMI
in today's climate it is not as much a factor as there are only 5 remaining with 4 under YRC

you also mentioned it was ratified by 86% of the members who voted
in reality only 40 % of the eligible members voted on the NMFA i believe so it was 86% of that 40% who spoke
sad commentary is that less than half of eligible members gave a crap to mark yes or no on something that is overwhelmingly and extremely important to each and everyone of us
the additional irony was also that we didn't even have to pay for the postage

one clear message we all can send to both the IBT and the companies this time around is that we do care by exercising our right to vote
how can we the members expect the IBT to stand up for us when we by our actions do the contrary

highway hombre
i need to correct a few items you stated
first TMI doesn't administer the contract, they facilitate the negotiation of it only
nor do they negotiate on the union membership's behalf as you implied
they negotiate and represent the corporate member's interests only
for the unions we have the IBT negotiating and representing all participating local union's interests
the IBT negotiates on our behalf and aids in the enforcement of the contract
believe it or not the IBT like TMI are not signatory to the NMFA only the member organizations they represent are
simply put both organizations are bargaining agents
it is mainly up to each and every local who is signatory to enforce the terms of the contract
TMI fascilitates an easier path in negotiating as if it did not exist the unions would have to bargain with each individual carrier separately more than likely prolonging the entire process and not achieving a Master agreement
in the past that factor was much more important as there were literally many many more member companies belonging to TMI
in today's climate it is not as much a factor as there are only 5 remaining with 4 under YRC
Big Steve,
At Ease Soldier!...

I implied nothing...

My post was only a brief synopsis copied from TMI's website. I know well what the function of TMI and the IBT is at the table. I only pasted that here because some people reading this thread are not familiar with how and who negotiates what on the companies (signatory to NMFA)behalf.
But after re-reading what I pasted here, it could be misconstrued. So here is the link to TMI's website...

Trucking Management Inc. (TMI) Washington DC

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused...

you also mentioned it was ratified by 86% of the members who voted
in reality only 40 % of the eligible members voted on the NMFA i believe so it was 86% of that 40% who spoke
sad commentary is that less than half of eligible members gave a crap to mark yes or no on something that is overwhelmingly and extremely important to each and everyone of us
the additional irony was also that we didn't even have to pay for the postage

one clear message we all can send to both the IBT and the companies this time around is that we do care by exercising our right to vote
how can we the members expect the IBT to stand up for us when we by our actions do the contrary
TMI mentioned that the contract was ratified by an 86% margin, not me...

You are correct about the ballots returned and eligible. That is a sad testament, indeed...