ABF | ABF warns of major network changes if it can't lower labor costs and gain flexibility

I dont think there bluffing.i think they will do it...

Think about how are they going to close a DC? We only have a handful of them compared to others who have DC and smaller breaks centers. Transit times now are not that great, by doing what they said it will only increase transit time. How many customers will that cost us.

Now management is not stupid they bought Panther and put it under the ABC umbrella just like ABF. Panther is now an ABC company. Panther gives them access to a larger logistics market, which is larger than the LTL market that they are now in. Can ABC go on without ABF that is the Question?

Stifel Nicolaus analyst David Ross wrote in a research note that Arkansas Best is about 90 percent unionized LTL and following the completion of this acquisition it will be about 80 percent LTL unionized, with that number likely declining further in the coming years as Panther should grow faster than Arkansas Best’s core LTL business.

Arkansas Best set to acquire Panther Expedited Services, expand service offerings - Article from Logistics Management

Concessions definition -

1 a : the act or an instance of conceding (as by granting something as a right, accepting something as true, or acknowledging defeat)

Concession - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

That's what all of us should be thinking about...accepting something as true...do you really believe the company is in such bad financial shape like they claim and trust them to have your best interests in mind...not theirs? The answer was no on the beg backs...so what has changed? The only thing that has changed was the fact that Judy got a huge raise and they bought Panther for ABC...not ABF!

After all...if you would of believed that beg back two years ago...we would really be in dire straits today considering they didn't get their concessions...right? And they certainly wouldn't of been able to afford to give Judy that raise and buy Panther.

Just think back...what all was said by both sides trying to persuade us into accepting those concessions. Here's just one example of what we heard:

“We’ve got to do something before ABF gets on life support and a foot in the grave,” said Doug Davis, Secretary-Treasurer of Local 957 in Dayton, Ohio, the second largest ABF local

Yep...Judy's raise and the Panther buy is one foot in the grave alright...but for who?

ABF has too much capacity in the system. McReynolds will do what CEO's do..reduce terminal capacity, fleet and man power..sooner or later after concessions

Like Bill did​
And please do tell all about your knowledge of ABF's over capacity? True to form you run your mouth when you have no NO knowledge of what you speak and I will take the opportunity to remind you while I reemphasize what a jack ass you are. Tell us all how you have no trouble finding an empty trailer to fill with peddle freight every Monday AM. Tell us all about how far ahead of schedule your freight arrives because there are so many road drivers and tractors sitting around just looking for somewhere to go. Tell us all how you have no trouble making your kids' extracurricular activities because you start at 8AM and know you're going to be done at 4:30PM. OOOOO yea, that's right you can't tell us about it because sitting in your cave you have no idea what goes on out in the real world.
I could use a change of scenery. How bout R? Want me as a neighbor?
With 5 years in at ABF how many options do you see for yourself in a major network change?

And please do tell all about your knowledge of ABF's over capacity? True to form you run your mouth when you have no NO knowledge of what you speak and I will take the opportunity to remind you while I reemphasize what a jack ass you are. Tell us all how you have no trouble finding an empty trailer to fill with peddle freight every Monday AM. Tell us all about how far ahead of schedule your freight arrives because there are so many road drivers and tractors sitting around just looking for somewhere to go. Tell us all how you have no trouble making your kids' extracurricular activities because you start at 8AM and know you're going to be done at 4:30PM. OOOOO yea, that's right you can't tell us about it because sitting in your cave you have no idea what goes on out in the real world.

With 5 years in at ABF how many options do you see for yourself in a major network change?

5 years? Where do you get that number?

they aren't planning on passing their savings onto the customers and changing their pricing...at least that's what we were told by the regional VP in our area when he was asked about it when he came to our dock to sit with us and watch the video they had already sent out to all of us...

If they can't compete they will go under. It's sad but the majority of truck drivers in the nonunion world have been sold a bill of goods and accepted it. Their value is not worth much and the job they do is just not worth union scale wages. Yet we see the death toll keep raising on the nation highways. It is among the most dangerous jobs in the US. Trucking is in the what? Top 5 at least. Long hours and sometimes away from home for weeks at a time. This and other trucking forums should not be reduced to mere name calling and jealousy. But this industry needs to ban together more than ever. Not union against nonunion but the whole trucking industry for better wages and retirement for a job we sacrifice so much to make a living for our family. This is a honorable profession. One of such importance that not only the security of the nation but the whole country would stop without trucks. We that are in our sixties can remember when the American trucker had total respect and was look up to as the knight of the highways. But they were taken advantage of with wage and working conditions that caused the industry to largely unionize. Well, As we all know that the corruption of the union has made us come full circle. Now it's not just the unions we have to fear but government itself. We are caught it the middle of to evils. It is time for us as truckers to stand together and as a country to fight for what is best for this nation less we lose more than just our jobs.

If they can't compete they will go under. It's sad but the majority of truck drivers in the nonunion world have been sold a bill of goods and accepted it. Their value is not worth much and the job they do is just not worth union scale wages. Yet we see the death toll keep raising on the nation highways. It is among the most dangerous jobs in the US. Trucking is in the what? Top 5 at least. Long hours and sometimes away from home for weeks at a time. This and other trucking forums should not be reduced to mere name calling and jealousy. But this industry needs to bad together more than ever. Not union against nonunion but the whole trucking industry for better wages and retirement for a job we sacrifice so much to make a living for our family. This is a honorable profession. One of such importance that not only the security of the nation but the whole country would stop without trucks. We that are in our sixties can remember when the American trucker had total respect and was look up to as the knight of the highways. But they were taken advantage of with wage and working conditions that caused the industry to largely unionize. Well, As we all know that the corruption of the union has made us come full circle. Now it's not just the unions we have to fear but government itself. We are caught it the middle of to evils. It is time for us as truckers to stand together and as a country to fight for what is best for this nation less we lose more than just our jobs.
Sounds great in theory Skeeter. I'm not very optimistic about seeing it happen though.

If they can't compete they will go under. It's sad but the majority of truck drivers in the nonunion world have been sold a bill of goods and accepted it. Their value is not worth much and the job they do is just not worth union scale wages. Yet we see the death toll keep raising on the nation highways. It is among the most dangerous jobs in the US. Trucking is in the what? Top 5 at least. Long hours and sometimes away from home for weeks at a time. This and other trucking forums should not be reduced to mere name calling and jealousy. But this industry needs to ban together more than ever. Not union against nonunion but the whole trucking industry for better wages and retirement for a job we sacrifice so much to make a living for our family. This is a honorable profession. One of such importance that not only the security of the nation but the whole country would stop without trucks. We that are in our sixties can remember when the American trucker had total respect and was look up to as the knight of the highways. But they were taken advantage of with wage and working conditions that caused the industry to largely unionize. Well, As we all know that the corruption of the union has made us come full circle. Now it's not just the unions we have to fear but government itself. We are caught it the middle of to evils. It is time for us as truckers to stand together and as a country to fight for what is best for this nation less we lose more than just our jobs.

And that, unfortunately, will never happen. When you have the Conways and FedEx's feeling the squeeze, so many are just glad to be employed. Nobody is willing to take that risk and share sacrifice. It's all "there but for the grace of God go I". Is my union a bit corrupt ? Possibly. But, they still beat the next best thing out there, which is no representation. If your looking for the yahoos who think outfits like Swift, England and various other bottom feeders are going to take ANY kind of stand, it just isn't gonna happen. I work in the oil and gas business. The last place you would think a race to the bottom would start. And it is. We deal with new gyppo fly by night outfits occurring weekly. Nobody cares about safety, wages or much less the driver. It's all "who will do it cheaper". I hope like hell the employees at ABF take a stand and it works for them. I will support them in any way I can as a Teamster. But, about the only thing I can do (in case of any job action) is make damn sure ABF doesn't get a drop of fuel from us here in the West. Picket lines ? Oh hell no, we don't cross..I'll laugh while I'm making my U turn..

And that, unfortunately, will never happen. When you have the Conways and FedEx's feeling the squeeze, so many are just glad to be employed. Nobody is willing to take that risk and share sacrifice. It's all "there but for the grace of God go I". Is my union a bit corrupt ? Possibly. But, they still beat the next best thing out there, which is no representation. If your looking for the yahoos who think outfits like Swift, England and various other bottom feeders are going to take ANY kind of stand, it just isn't gonna happen. I work in the oil and gas business. The last place you would think a race to the bottom would start. And it is. We deal with new gyppo fly by night outfits occurring weekly. Nobody cares about safety, wages or much less the driver. It's all "who will do it cheaper". I hope like hell the employees at ABF take a stand and it works for them. I will support them in any way I can as a Teamster. But, about the only thing I can do (in case of any job action) is make damn sure ABF doesn't get a drop of fuel from us here in the West. Picket lines ? Oh hell no, we don't cross..I'll laugh while I'm making my U turn..

Thanks for the support cryotruck...IMO...the ABF Teamsters are in an awkward situation right now...we stand by our beliefs...no concessions...get a decent conract...ABF Teamsters happy and work hard because they do realize what a fair days pay is ...ABF Management's a little disappointed and goes on...business as usual which means making profits just the same as they did all these years having the highest cost stucture in the industry...just not as much as they would like. YRC Teamsters have something to look forward to. The non unions look at us the same...some like us...some hate us...nothing changes there.

No.2 Scenerio: ABF Teamsters give in to their demands...ABF Teamsters unhappy and work ethic and morale declines ...ABF Management's elated because they know bigger salaries and bonuses for them...future isn't so bright for YRC Teamsters down the road after ABF takes concessions without even being in bad economic shape. The non unions...they all hate us now...they blame us for having their wages drop and working conditions worsen because the non union companies realize they have to stay a jump ahead of the union companies which will always do their best to stay below the union scale.

Think about how are they going to close a DC? We only have a handful of them compared to others who have DC and smaller breaks centers. Transit times now are not that great, by doing what they said it will only increase transit time. How many customers will that cost us.

Now management is not stupid they bought Panther and put it under the ABC umbrella just like ABF. Panther is now an ABC company. Panther gives them access to a larger logistics market, which is larger than the LTL market that they are now in. Can ABC go on without ABF that is the Question?

Stifel Nicolaus analyst David Ross wrote in a research note that Arkansas Best is about 90 percent unionized LTL and following the completion of this acquisition it will be about 80 percent LTL unionized, with that number likely declining further in the coming years as Panther should grow faster than Arkansas Best’s core LTL business.

unfortunately, what has to occur here is that we the rank and file have to think in terms of the worst case scenario and have plans in place for if or when they occur. This is my 22nd year with abf and ive been with some other outfits before them. If they want to close a DC, it will be done. when it gets personal, it will get done. The rhetoric indicates that it IS personal now. Mrs McReynolds and the Fort want what they want and they are making plans to get it. This recent COO that we had in the East is all part of the plan if they want to close a DC. Years ago if you all remember we had road drivers domiciled all over the place, Phila,Erie, Buffalo, etc. There was a COO or two back then to "save money" so they moved those guys to carlisle and dayton and all over or just eliminated their jobs. Now with this new COO last year, they are putting "utility drivers" in these same terminals and have them do road work, plus they got away with paying them less than a regular road driver! They can simply have another COO designed to break up any DC that doesnt vote their way and domicile drivers anywhere they want and just lay the rest off. All they have to say is that they are going to pay that buck per hour more and everyone will fold like a cheap suit. Please dont say that the union wouldnt let that happen since they let the last COO go without even a hearing as the International put that through themselves with no input from our local at all. why do you think that on the begback vote that we received voting tallies that indicated which way the different locals voted, yea or nay? The company wanted to see that tally so they would know where the troublemakers are.
So i hate to say it, but if they want to close a DC, they will make it happen. dont rely on that false hope that your terminal is absolutely critical to the success of abf. no one is, except the guys at the fort, according to the guys at the fort.

And please do tell all about your knowledge of ABF's over capacity? True to form you run your mouth when you have no NO knowledge of what you speak and I will take the opportunity to remind you while I reemphasize what a jack ass you are. Tell us all about how far ahead of schedule your freight arrives because there are so many road drivers and tractors sitting around just looking for somewhere to go.

Well if it isn't the talented, wise mr. witt with expert analysis on about how far ahead of schedule your freight arrives.

The only problem with your analogy is it proves my point. Why is ABF providing premium service at discounted rates? How many extra dock, road and city drivers were involved in providing that super service as opposed to it being delivered on the due date or even a day late to save on labor cost

That could be easily remedied by taking out a few service centers that are not up to snuff on production numbers targeting mainly dock people like your self who are not held in high regard by Fort Smith anyhow. They are playing with you, you jackass. So say less and do more..there is carnage coming to your terminal. So who is the jackass?

you as usual:9529:

Thanks for the support cryotruck...IMO...the ABF Teamsters are in an awkward situation right now...we stand by our beliefs...no concessions...get a decent conract...ABF Teamsters happy and work hard because they do realize what a fair days pay is ...ABF Management's a little disappointed and goes on...business as usual which means making profits just the same as they did all these years having the highest cost stucture in the industry...just not as much as they would like. YRC Teamsters have something to look forward to. The non unions look at us the same...some like us...some hate us...nothing changes there.

No.2 Scenerio: ABF Teamsters give in to their demands...ABF Teamsters unhappy and work ethic and morale declines ...ABF Management's elated because they know bigger salaries and bonuses for them...future isn't so bright for YRC Teamsters down the road after ABF takes concessions without even being in bad economic shape. The non unions...they all hate us now...they blame us for having their wages drop and working conditions worsen because the non union companies realize they have to stay a jump ahead of the union companies which will always do their best to stay below the union scale.

You know I didn't account for their wages dropping like a rock when teamsters wages drop. They have to stay ahead of us in the race to the bottom.

You know I didn't account for their wages dropping like a rock when teamsters wages drop. They have to stay ahead of us in the race to the bottom.

There are so many that don't realize this...

There are several ways that unionization’s impact on wages goes beyond the workers covered by collective bargaining agreements and extends to nonunion wages and labor practices. For example, in industries, occupations, and regions in which a strong core of workplaces are unionized, nonunion employers will frequently meet union standards or at least improve their compensation and labor practices beyond what they would have provided in the absence of a union pres*ence. This dynamic—the degree to which nonunion workers are paid more because their employers are trying to forestall unionization—is some*times called the union threat effect.

The last decade has produced no improvement in real wages of a broad range of workers, including those with either a high school or college degree. It has also produced a widening divergence between overall productivity and the wages or compensation of the typical worker. In addition, wage inequality has continued to grow between those at the top and those in the middle.

Declining unionization has played a key role in these trends. Today, about 13 percent of workers are in unions—roughly half the share of the early 1970s. This reduction has limited the number of jobs with union wage and benefit premiums; weakened workers’ power to bargain for higher wages, more comprehensive benefits, and better working conditions; and limited the “spillover effect” wherein non-unionized firms raise wages and benefits to compete with unionized firms for workers. Together with other laissez-faire policies such as globalization, deregulation, and lower labor standards such as a weaker minimum wage, deunionization has strengthened the hands of employers and undercut the ability of low- and middle-wage workers to have good jobs and economic security.

If we want the fruits of economic growth to benefit the vast majority, we will have to adopt a different set of guideposts for setting economic policy, as the ones in place over the last several decades have served those with the most income, wealth, and political power. Given unions’ important role in setting standards for both union and nonunion workers, we must ensure that every worker has access to collective bargaining.

Unions, inequality, and faltering middle-class wages | Economic Policy Institute

If we take concessions, what will make us any different from any other non-union company, in fact they will most likely be making more money, with better benefits then we will. They will also still have their 401k and we will still not be able to retire with benefits that were negotiated for us, some may never see it.

Well, to answer your first question the biggest difference has always been our contract. This "two-way street" is drastically different from the offerings of every single non-union LTL. They don't have any concept of a grievance machinery and we as union members cannot forget how important this is to our existence. When the non-unions cut back both wages and 401k contributions at the start of the last recession, the companies didn't have to ask. They simply enacted a new company policy and drivers be damned. ABF tried their best to get a concession but the rank and file turned them down because ABF was obligated by the contract they had previously signed.

Secondly, your premise of making less than the non-unions is simply not a factual statement. I understand the disappointment in the prospects of not getting a typical Teamster increase in our pay or benefits, but we are still way out in front of our non-union competition when it comes to wages and benefits and we will continue in that position after these negotiations.

well, to answer your first question the biggest difference has always been our contract. This "two-way street" is drastically different from the offerings of every single non-union ltl. They don't have any concept of a grievance machinery and we as union members cannot forget how important this is to our existence. When the non-unions cut back both wages and 401k contributions at the start of the last recession, the companies didn't have to ask. They simply enacted a new company policy and drivers be damned. Abf tried their best to get a concession but the rank and file turned them down because abf was obligated by the contract they had previously signed.

Secondly, your premise of making less than the non-unions is simply not a factual statement. I understand the disappointment in the prospects of not getting a typical teamster increase in our pay or benefits, but we are still way out in front of our non-union competition when it comes to wages and benefits and we will continue in that position after these negotiations.

abf is making money, the company bought panther with money made from abf, and they found money to raise executive wages and or give bonus's. I don't see any reason for us to take concessions just to give it to the rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!