Holland | Another Change of operations

I have thought that the way we heard the UE would be bid is not really fair to road guys BUT, it was set up as a city bid in the contract and the members voted it in. I am very disappointed in our representation in that they didn't make it clear to everyone what this contract would mean. Now, if this info is correct, they want to basically change the contract. Like changing the Constitution, NOT something to be done lightly.
I think that allowing the Road guys to bid first on the FIRST one would have been a great thing to put in the contract and a good way to follow the work if we have to have the UE at all.

Benny I am still wondering how they can change it now. It has nothing to do with north verus south. Part of the first change included a lot of the northern terminals to include yours. ( which is part of the central states.)

One thing is they can put what ever they want in a change, it still can be tweaked or denied by the committee. Just my 2 cents!!

Yeah What about these committees? Who is on them?
Isn't there supposed to be a UE committee at every local that has a UE?

if this second change creates alot of problems like the first COO's that has already has been implemented in the past .... the union and the company may be forced into 1 master terminal seniority board where your seniority will prevail in any classification.
:1036316054:

I think that it is fair that the Road Drivers will bid first at Holland. The UE is doing mostly Road work. The only difference between a UE and a Road Driver at Holland is the pay and that the UE can cross-dock. When a road Driver takes this job he will only hold the job until the next city bid cycle. Then everyone in the city can bid. If it is done this way, Road Drivers that are affected can at least keep a job at Holland. In the end, I believe that this is the best way to resolve the issues with the UE position. The contract language was very vague on the UE position. That is why there has been the need for the COO's. This is a new way of doing business and adjustments will have to be made so the UE will be fair to everyone.

It says these are new local cartage positions,then it should be posted as new jobs with road being able to transfer to city and be dovetailed in then every one on that board bids by senority!

It says these are new local cartage positions,then it should be posted as new jobs with road being able to transfer to city and be dovetailed in then every one on that board bids by seniority!

It doesn't work that way with two boards, maybe if you had been around a little longer you would understand how it works better? This is exactly my point, you think its right and the city men don't. It goes against the contract language, it goes against past practice, it goes against the city board rules and its good for the road men and bad for the city men. I understand why you like it because it favors the road board over the city board. There's no problem with that but, in my opinion, don't try to justify it to the city men that would be hurt by it. If you can't see that then you just aren't looking very hard. Somebody is going to loose but its not fair to favor one board over another one. Like I said before, this is just an attempt to divide us between ourselves. When you have been around for a while you can look at this with an open mind to see it for what it is. Your judgment is, in my opinion, very one sided toward your way of thinking. I've said its a bad deal for everybody and we were mislead but don't try to make it like the road shouldn't get abused and the city should. The only fair way would have been to have a third board for UE's with the ability to go back where you came from if you bid off of it, PERIOD! You guys are looking out for your family's just like everybody else is so try to consider other peoples feelings and opinions and try to understand where they're coming from. Nobody's right or wrong, its just a bad deal that we're stuck with. Let's stay strong together. :1036316054:

It doesn't work that way with two boards, maybe if you had been around a little longer you would understand how it works better? This is exactly my point, you think its right and the city men don't. It goes against the contract language, it goes against past practice, it goes against the city board rules and its good for the road men and bad for the city men. I understand why you like it because it favors the road board over the city board. There's no problem with that but, in my opinion, don't try to justify it to the city men that would be hurt by it. If you can't see that then you just aren't looking very hard. Somebody is going to loose but its not fair to favor one board over another one. Like I said before, this is just an attempt to divide us between ourselves. When you have been around for a while you can look at this with an open mind to see it for what it is. Your judgment is, in my opinion, very one sided toward your way of thinking. I've said its a bad deal for everybody and we were mislead but don't try to make it like the road shouldn't get abused and the city should. The only fair way would have been to have a third board for UE's with the ability to go back where you came from if you bid off of it, PERIOD! You guys are looking out for your family's just like everybody else is so try to consider other peoples feelings and opinions and try to understand where they're coming from. Nobody's right or wrong, its just a bad deal that we're stuck with. Let's stay strong together. :1036316054:

THE company apparently doesnt want a 3rd board because they want to apparently eliminate or decrease the size of the road board (only reason I can think of them wanting the UE jobs) .... thats where road drivers having the 1st opportunity to bid on these UE jobs is fair .... only other recourse is to have 1 master seniority board in each terminal.
Like I think someone has already mentioned ... UE 's are doing work now like Holland road drivers have been doing for years other than cross-docking and working the dock w/city guys on duty.

ACTUALLY from what IVE seen already, UE drivers do UE work not the local carthage work.... for which it states in the COO, this work clearly states "Based on current economic conditions this proposed COO will have no affect on current local cartage operations." And in 1 of the other COO, IT BASICALLY STATES THE SAME.
It doesnt say, Based on current economic conditions this proposed COO will have no affect on current road or linehaul operations.

I rest my case .....

:biglaugh: :hysterical:

Benny do you think if they would have made UE a road bid since that seems to be the ones suffering the most from it that it would be fair or not? I think it should have been a road bid but thats just me.

Benny do you think if they would have made UE a road bid since that seems to be the ones suffering the most from it that it would be fair or not? I think it should have been a road bid but thats just me.
If I had been the one to decide, I would have made it a road job. The problem now is that when we voted on this POS contract it wasn't sold to us the way that its being used. I don't have to tell any of you thats been on TB for a while how opposed to this contract I was. I could very easy state to several people on here that "I told you so" but I'm not like that and what good would it do now. I hoped that I was wrong and they were right when we had out debates on TB about the contract. All I can say is that the Kool-Aid companies stock went through the roof during these times, lol. My point being that the leaders sold it to enough of us to get it passed and now they just decide to do something totally different. If this was a regular business we could file charges for fraud and have them all arrested. This is only a proposal but I've got the feeling that we aren't even going to get kissed on this one, if you're a city man that is. We are signing a petition with every city mans name on it to send in to the national committee. If you wait and see what they decide it will be to late. We have around a 2 to 1 ratio of city over road in LO, it would seem that this would mean something to the people in place to decide our futures. I guarantee that every person in our local will be gone come next election and hopefully in the IBT, if this is allowed to happen. Thats what every single city person in LO is saying at least. No offense to any road men but it just seems to we city men that the road men at treated like they're better than we city boys. Its always been that way and I guess it always will, until their all city UE men that is. Sorry if I upset anybody but 7ft8279 asked, lol. I'm holding back a little now but just wait until this is decided then I'll really get going, lol. My rant is now over.

If I had been the one to decide, I would have made it a road job. The problem now is that when we voted on this POS contract it wasn't sold to us the way that its being used. I don't have to tell any of you thats been on TB for a while how opposed to this contract I was. I could very easy state to several people on here that "I told you so" but I'm not like that and what good would it do now. I hoped that I was wrong and they were right when we had out debates on TB about the contract. All I can say is that the Kool-Aid companies stock went through the roof during these times, lol. My point being that the leaders sold it to enough of us to get it passed and now they just decide to do something totally different. If this was a regular business we could file charges for fraud and have them all arrested. This is only a proposal but I've got the feeling that we aren't even going to get kissed on this one, if you're a city man that is. We are signing a petition with every city mans name on it to send in to the national committee. If you wait and see what they decide it will be to late. We have around a 2 to 1 ratio of city over road in LO, it would seem that this would mean something to the people in place to decide our futures. I guarantee that every person in our local will be gone come next election and hopefully in the IBT, if this is allowed to happen. Thats what every single city person in LO is saying at least. No offense to any road men but it just seems to we city men that the road men at treated like they're better than we city boys. Its always been that way and I guess it always will, until their all city UE men that is. Sorry if I upset anybody but 7ft8279 asked, lol. I'm holding back a little now but just wait until this is decided then I'll really get going, lol. My rant is now over.

Thanks for being honest benny about it should have been a road job but it is what it is right. I know what you mean about road treated like they are better than city I have worked both sides dock, city, road I know what you mean. That being said I will say this when I was on the dock or doing city work I felt like I was part of a group you know what I mean I knew I had friends people looking out for me you just dont get that feeling on the road board all people care about is where you are going and if your getting more miles than they are. I liked the dock and city much more.

Thanks for being honest benny about it should have been a road job but it is what it is right. I know what you mean about road treated like they are better than city I have worked both sides dock, city, road I know what you mean. That being said I will say this when I was on the dock or doing city work I felt like I was part of a group you know what I mean I knew I had friends people looking out for me you just dont get that feeling on the road board all people care about is where you are going and if your getting more miles than they are. I liked the dock and city much more.
Ok, so me and you have a little different perspective on this. You like the city and want to bump back in (it seems). I dont want to be a city driver or I would have hired on to be one. Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for our city guys and the hard work they do. I also dont mind kicking, picking, or in route deliveries. But the part I love about my road job is being on my own and not answering to someone all the time or feel like i'm under a microscope! I have never laid eyes on my terminal manager, Have you city guys? Now I feel like you are being treated better.

The only reason I would take a UE position (if I could hold one) would be to keep my job with this company I love (HOLLAND, not YRC). I would not bump to yard or any other city position even if I could hold it. Although on the other hand I do understand you guys position, because I have heard senior road men talking about how they would love to be in that Yard Horse!! Not me though. Just want a "road" job when there is no "road" board anymore!!:1036316054::hide:

Hey Benny, let me know when you are ready to go off the deep end and rant a little! I'll be happy to be interim moderator and edit your posts for a change. Maybe even ban if you get too mouthy!!!!:biglaugh:

I'm just kidding with you Mr. Hill, you're the greatest Mod in the world. You use the best judgment in all of your decisions and I for one just want to say that its an honor to have you as our Mod.

(LOL, BH) :hide:

Ok, so me and you have a little different perspective on this. You like the city and want to bump back in (it seems). I dont want to be a city driver or I would have hired on to be one. Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for our city guys and the hard work they do. I also dont mind kicking, picking, or in route deliveries. But the part I love about my road job is being on my own and not answering to someone all the time or feel like i'm under a microscope! I have never laid eyes on my terminal manager, Have you city guys? Now I feel like you are being treated better.

The only reason I would take a UE position (if I could hold one) would be to keep my job with this company I love (HOLLAND, not YRC). I would not bump to yard or any other city position even if I could hold it. Although on the other hand I do understand you guys position, because I have heard senior road men talking about how they would love to be in that Yard Horse!! Not me though. Just want a "road" job when there is no "road" board anymore!!:1036316054::hide:

I like the road for the same reason I like being on my own and not being watched all the time too. I was just saying I felt more connected when I worked in the city.

Leadership

I think we are all losing focus here. The real reason we are all upset is because of the promises of the IBT and our Locals have been broken. I understand both sides have arguments about the UE position. I believe what we all need to remember is that our Leadership has screwed us and the company and the Union are reaping the benefits. I know the IBT orchestrated the whole UE program. All of the Locals were ordered to follow suit and they complied. The company has proposed that the Road Drivers have first preference at the UE job in the new COO because they knew this would drive a wedge further between the Teamsters and their Leadership. The Company also likes when we are all distracted. They love when we fight with each other. They are laughing all-the-way to the bank. I am proud of being a Teamster, I am not proud of our Leadership. What we need right now is to take a step back and look at the entire situation. Brotherhood means taking care of each other. What can we do to take care of our Brothers that have been hurt by this contract? That is the question. If we want to fix this we must take matters into our own hands. The Road Drivers must follow D.O.T rules to the letter and only Drive what is safe and appropriate. The city men must do the same. Follow their rules. This will help short term. In the future we can vote out the lying Leadership at every Level. We must go in a positive direction. WE MUST HAVE NEW LEADERSHIP! Bad Representation is worse than NO Representation. If we are going to save this thing of ours, we must band together and take care of each other. We suffer short term, but we will succeed in the future. It is never too late. I am not perfect, but if we all try a little harder and be a more conscience of Brotherhood, we can make a difference!

I'm just kidding with you Mr. Hill, you're the greatest Mod in the world. You use the best judgment in all of your decisions and I for one just want to say that its an honor to have you as our Mod.

Thank you very much Mr. Shoeman, I feel that you're a very intelligent person with great opinions. I must say you're a wonderful judge of people too. Its my honor to serve my fellow members here on Truckingboards, thanks for posting here.

Hey Benny, let me know when you are ready to go off the deep end and rant a little! I'll be happy to be interim moderator and edit your posts for a change. Maybe even ban if you get too mouthy!!!!:biglaugh:

(LOL, BH)

:butt kiss::knockout::knockout: