XPO | Black friday at con-way...

I guess I missed a lot of posts on here...Your safe with the job for now...right?

As of right now my job looks to be in good shape on the seniority list. It would take a big number to get to me now but who knows. At this point, it would not surprise me if I was "economically terminated" and then told I owed them my re-location check because I was not at the new terminal for one year. If that happens it happens. Con-way looses a good employee and I move on. I'll figure something out if it comes to that.

As of right now my job looks to be in good shape on the seniority list. It would take a big number to get to me now but who knows. At this point, it would not surprise me if I was "economically terminated" and then told I owed them my re-location check because I was not at the new terminal for one year. If that happens it happens. Con-way looses a good employee and I move on. I'll figure something out if it comes to that.

How many people did they layoff at XLF?

Every since they consolidated all of the components 3 years ago, they have been consolidating ever since. Conway used to be about service and that's how they built the company. But, with the closings last month and the layoffs of CSR's and other staff, they are going to lose a lot of that customer base because of bad service. John L. you shoud be proud when you get your millions for "saving" the company. Merry Christmas.

Every since they consolidated all of the components 3 years ago, they have been consolidating ever since. Conway used to be about service and that's how they built the company. But, with the closings last month and the layoffs of CSR's and other staff, they are going to lose a lot of that customer base because of bad service. John L. you shoud be proud when you get your millions for "saving" the company. Merry Christmas.

Personally, I dont think it was that at all. After YRC had the Union agree to a wage cut, the looming doom of the Employee Free Choice Act, and the economy being like that of when Chairman Carter was running the country in the 70's...
It is MOST unfortunate we had these losses, but the other carriers will follow suit.
Be on the lookout for UPS and Fed Ex to make similar cuts as well. They would probably be wise to do it before the end of the year with new goals for the next year.

My heart goes out to those who lost their kobs, and who knows... there may be more... ( remnants)

How many people did they layoff at XLF?

None yet. Looking at the combination of AM, PM line, and city we are short 10-20 drivers as it stands now IMO. We can't cover PM line now and Ann Arbor is making XLF cut PM to make up for the P&D. The other night we had XAY and XMI covered because we had no drivers. The P&D op is going pretty well so far but when things pick up we will be short in the city. I have run the area we now cover for a few years and we are either just making it or are short everyday. They need to forget stats and focus on service. There are a couple huge accounts in the new XLF area that can drop 50k on you any day. When this happens, they need to have drivers available. As long as we are left alone by XGO to do our jobs, XLF will be in good shape. Let local people run the local area.

After YRC had the Union agree to a wage cut, the looming doom of the Employee Free Choice Act, and the economy being like that of when Chairman Carter was running the country in the 70's...

My heart goes out to those who lost their kobs, and who knows... there may be more... ( remnants)

The EFCA could be the most sinister piece of legislation ever seen in this country. I was not raised to be the equal of everyone else. I made decisions that should have put me well above the curve even as a truck driver. This could and will become a very divisive issue at Con-way. I will be vocal when it comes to fighting this piece of Liberal, Ted Kennedy legislation that will pass. I will be a big pain in the *** for all the local backers of this sewage.

the efca could be the most sinister piece of legislation ever seen in this country. I was not raised to be the equal of everyone else. I made decisions that should have put me well above the curve even as a truck driver. This could and will become a very divisive issue at con-way. I will be vocal when it comes to fighting this piece of liberal, ted kennedy legislation that will pass. I will be a big pain in the *** for all the local backers of this sewage.

agreed! :1036316054:

How much John L cut from his 3 mill salary? They are trying to survive and will lay anyone off without a notice if needed...our people are our most important asset...but whatever it takes not to scare Wall Street...
Ho..Ho...Ho... from Con-Way
Good Luck to all that got cut today!
UOA lost 12 today....

xcn - approx. 25 cut --- 3 mechanics - 14 flex deivers - 2 csr - 1 weights & measures eliminated - regional mgrs secretary

I suspect that this weighed heavily on John L.'s mind. It is not an easy task to be the ultimate decision maker in a company with over 20,000 employees. This economy is the worst that any of us have ever experienced...truly uncharted waters. The cuts were accross the board, including VP's region managers, office staff, service center managers, supervisors, drivers, as well as 25% of the employees in ann arbor. I am glad that i work for a company that has leadership with foresight. We are making cuts to avoid following the path of YRC whose stock was below $2/share but has "rebounded" to about five bucks. We must try our hardest to take care of the customer as they ultimately are our boss.

I heard XLF lost 4 drivers.

None yet. Looking at the combination of AM, PM line, and city we are short 10-20 drivers as it stands now IMO. We can't cover PM line now and Ann Arbor is making XLF cut PM to make up for the P&D. The other night we had XAY and XMI covered because we had no drivers. The P&D op is going pretty well so far but when things pick up we will be short in the city. I have run the area we now cover for a few years and we are either just making it or are short everyday. They need to forget stats and focus on service. There are a couple huge accounts in the new XLF area that can drop 50k on you any day. When this happens, they need to have drivers available. As long as we are left alone by XGO to do our jobs, XLF will be in good shape. Let local people run the local area.

xlu lost 16 flex, 3 office, and i think 1 wieghts and measures. Don't know about others but flex got severance and said we'd be on call back if economy picked up. But we would be brought back as new hires and start all over again. so thats about two years average time for most of us if we're called back that was for nothing.

I suspect that this weighed heavily on John L.'s mind. It is not an easy task to be the ultimate decision maker in a company with over 20,000 employees. This economy is the worst that any of us have ever experienced...truly uncharted waters. The cuts were accross the board, including VP's region managers, office staff, service center managers, supervisors, drivers, as well as 25% of the employees in ann arbor. I am glad that i work for a company that has leadership with foresight. We are making cuts to avoid following the path of YRC whose stock was below $2/share but has "rebounded" to about five bucks. We must try our hardest to take care of the customer as they ultimately are our boss.
Customer service is going to suck for the next few months. And that's a shame, because that's what made this company...the service. Not anymore.

I asked Sam D last week about that stupid race truck and according to him they cant get rid of it until 2010 they signed a contract. He said that if things are still bad in 2010 then the race truck is gone....

They'll be hiring some of these positions back probably about February or March.

Yup, They'll quickly realize how difficult it is to micro-manage with less tenticles...er....loyal supervisors and managers.

over 2,000 layoffs with severance pakages

xyh...........one driver office people
xhg.......6 drivers fom fos all greeters but two all ladies t-con
and now instead of 5 sectors 4.
xsd..........7 drivers
xan...........2 office people no drivers as yet
they were given no notice there's the door seeyah
i heard there was alot who recieved substantial bonuses on theyre exit but is not much consilation.