XPO | Black friday at con-way...

caught up in the terminations yesterday...
Week's pay for each year of service, up to 13, full ICP, full Cobra based on years of service, all earned vacation and PTO...No unemployment claims contested by the company..

And your health benefits terminated immediately with an estimated 2 weeks before you're sent your COBRA package, & who knows how long before that kicks in.

And your health benefits terminated immediately with an estimated 2 weeks before you're sent your COBRA package, & who knows how long before that kicks in.

COBRA kicks in immediately. The company has a period of time to send out the forms, and you then have 30 days, if memory serves, to sign and send back with your premium. You have the ability to hold off signing and sending it in to see if you really need it. I know that jobs are not plentiful right now, but lets assume for arguement sake that you land a job next week that offers health benefits after 30 days. What you then do is hold onto the COBRA forms when they come in until that last day possible, then sign them and send them back only if you have a serious need for health coverage in the interim. The COBRA coverage then reverts back to your date of full serperation from the company.

This will allow you to maintain coverage for something serious, or choose to not use it for something inexpensive, where the out of pocket would be less than the premiums.

COBRA is expensive, but please be aware that it assures that you are never without coverage in the case of a serious health issue.

The terminated employee I talked with said that his insurance coverage cancelled at 12 midnight Friday and mentioned nothing about being Cobra, in fact his wife rushed to her employer and had him added to her policy.
I was told when I was "economically terminated" on Fri that the insurance was canceled immediately, & I would receive my COBRA pkg in about 10 days. No wife here to fall back on. Will be checking the vets center here on Mon. Applied for unemployment on Fri. Being with the company less than 5 months severance was minuscule.Will probably go back to tanker work

COBRA kicks in immediately. The company has a period of time to send out the forms, and you then have 30 days, if memory serves, to sign and send back with your premium. You have the ability to hold off signing and sending it in to see if you really need it. I know that jobs are not plentiful right now, but lets assume for arguement sake that you land a job next week that offers health benefits after 30 days. What you then do is hold onto the COBRA forms when they come in until that last day possible, then sign them and send them back only if you have a serious need for health coverage in the interim. The COBRA coverage then reverts back to your date of full serperation from the company.

This will allow you to maintain coverage for something serious, or choose to not use it for something inexpensive, where the out of pocket would be less than the premiums.

COBRA is expensive, but please be aware that it assures that you are never without coverage in the case of a serious health issue.
So what you're saying is that I still have coverage for the next 30 days?

I was told when I was "economically terminated" on Fri that the insurance was canceled immediately, & I would receive my COBRA pkg in about 10 days. No wife here to fall back on. Will be checking the vets center here on Mon. Applied for unemployment on Fri. Being with the company less than 5 months severance was minuscule.Will probably go back to tanker work

yes, you can Cobra after termination but it is expensive, I was laid off back in late 2002 early 2003, and it was around $300.00 w/o the dental policy a month, to much out of pocket for me at the time so I declined to take it.

Yes, you have the ability to sign up for COBRA as soon as you get the forms, if you wish, and the date of coverage will revert back to the date of seperation. This law was put in place to protect against a lapse of coverage. However, remember that it is expensive, and it might be in your best interest to wait until you see if your really need it. Just don't let the time frame lapse accidentally, if COBRA is what you really want.

Hope this helps. The bottom line is that, if you need it, you have an option to get coverage for you and your family that is effective right away. Kind of a security blanket.

Now, you could also check with an agent for some options on catasrophic health insurance just to cover you for major incidents. It might actually be less expensive.

Good luck.

i was told they are keeping the truck because they make 140% on it. i was also told the reason 2100 were let go was to keep us from doing it again later down the line. in other words lay off or terminate more than we need to

NO, no.no. that is not what he is saying. But you have 60 days to decide if you want to sign up. Then it retros back to day one of lost coverage. Don't be late with any payments though or it is gone.

Every terminated employee received severance...Cobra was paid as part of the severance...Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300.00 for each year of service...

no cobra, no insurance and they got 1000 dollars for a min. but that was also per year up to 13 yrs

:chairshot::chairshot:
I suspect that this weighed heavily on John L.'s mind. It is not an easy task to be the ultimate decision maker in a company with over 20,000 employees. This economy is the worst that any of us have ever experienced...truly uncharted waters. The cuts were accross the board, including VP's region managers, office staff, service center managers, supervisors, drivers, as well as 25% of the employees in ann arbor. I am glad that i work for a company that has leadership with foresight. We are making cuts to avoid following the path of YRC whose stock was below $2/share but has "rebounded" to about five bucks. We must try our hardest to take care of the customer as they ultimately are our boss.

yes, you can Cobra after termination but it is expensive, I was laid off back in late 2002 early 2003, and it was around $300.00 w/o the dental policy a month, to much out of pocket for me at the time so I declined to take it.

I am willing to bet that it is going to be more than $300....My daughter-in-law just got laid off her job, her Cobra payment was going to be $760....monthly........about the same amount that she was going to get from unemployment.......:thumbsdown:

It's important that you understand that COBRA is a federal program and is there to help when certain events cause a loss in medical coverages. The following link can help in understanding the program.

My father-in-law passed away in August and we needed fast answers to keep my mother-in-law insured. This is where we started looking for answers.

I hope it helps

FAQs About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage

just remember one thing.. convics starts with CON-WAY. look at yahoo finance and the money they report at the end of the year

anyone who was economically terminated in the past 30 hours was given the complete severance package...those who followed work, but didn't move, didn't really see any economic benefit unless they were caught up in the terminations yesterday...
Week's pay for each year of service, up to 13, full ICP, full Cobra based on years of service, all earned vacation and PTO...No unemployment claims contested by the company..

That is good to know. I followed the freight along with 25 people from our closed barn and so far none of them have lost their jobs as of this Friday last. I dovetailed in with 24 below me (now 18 as we lost 6 flex people) so I think I am safe for the long haul.

What some here don't realize is how other carriers handle their 'economic terminations'. It goes something like this..."Today is your last day! See ya' later. Bye!"

No severance package to speak of...no one in the barn to handle the transitional paperwork if there is any and most probably no chance in hell of following the freight. You wanna transfer? Here fill out his app! Believe me guys and gals...tranferring to another terminal and going to the bottom of the board or being laid off and have to come back as a new hire is not unique to Con-Way. Everybody does it this way.

My question is what the hell are we going to do when the economy pops back? And believe me it will and when it does it be with one helluva bang. I know most everyone in the know believes this economic downturn is will be long winded. I will beg to disagree with them. Take last Friday for instance. The latest unemployment figures came out with devastating numbers. The Dow ho hummed it and the DOW actually went up! This current economy is merely an adjustment.

The stock market adjusts itself every three to five years. This is built into the system. What tanked this adjustment is three things.

One, it is an election year and the economy almost takes a hit during these years just for the simple fact of uncertainty. You have a lame duck president and an incoming administration that has yet to make its mark. The one thing the stock market does not like is uncertainty! That is why election years are just bad economically!

Two, the idiotic practice of sub-prime lending. Any economist worth their salt has been giving a clarion call about how inherently dangerous this predatory lending practice was. Eventually the chicken came home to roost and we now have one in ten mortgages in trouble directly or in-directly as result of this lending practice. This resulted in the banking community taking a huge hit as you all are very aware.

Three, real estate prices have been way out whack for decades (think Jimmy Carter). No way in hell can a couple making $45k qualify for a $250k home! The entire real estate market and all all of it parts have been sleeping with banking industry for years. Prices of new and existing homes were completely out of line. This finally caused a critical mass meltdown. The only way people could afford to buy a home was to participate in the ludicrous lending practices of the banking system (see reason #2).

We are NOT in a recession! What we are suffering is an economic adjustment with some unforseen complications. Once you understand this you will sleep better...trust me!

The economy is setting on a powder keg and all it requires is just a spark and all bets are off. The spark may come from anywhere. Once Obama takes office watch out! Not because he a genious but the reason I say this is a whole other thread! Keep in mind the government is going to bail out the auto industry...it has no choice. What you read in the news is McCarthy-istic head hunting for the publics benefit. Once that is over and the government has given their "we are in charge" speeches and have secured enough political capital to satisy their constituents and guarantee their re-election, the the money for the auto companies will be forthcoming. Or it may something as simple as a new technology that will set off the market. At any rate it is going to happen and happen in the very short term.

One thing that never changes is the fact the things always change. This economy is no different plus there is the undeniable law of action and reaction. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Yeak OK you say this is a physics law but it also appies to the market and economy. The pendulum always swings back the other way!

Before June of 09 (mostly likely Feb or Mar) people will be saying "what recession" and it will be just a bad memory! I have been a student of the market and economy for years. One thing is certain YRC is done. There may be others that go belly-up as well. YRC has mortgaged the hell out just about everything they can. The banks have cut them off and now they are hinging their survival on contract concessions. Yes history does repeat itself...Stollar is an idiot!

Even if it does survive (highly unlikely) they will never be the same, there is just too much baggage.

So I ask again what the hell are we going to do when the stuff hits the fan? Not enough facilities...not enough qualified people...the dust has started to settle.

Hang on boys and girls the fun is just beginning!!!

Cuts

I know that in our meetings for the past couple of months there was nothing but bad news about other LTL carriers and how they were downsizing or exiting certain markets. The monthly financial updates we received from corporate weren't all that bad. Don't get me wrong, we weren't making our goals but they were only off by a few percentage points according to them. If they knew that they were going to make all of these changes months ahead of time then why didn't they do them sooner? It just sucks on how all of this was approached, presented, and implemented. I understand business is business but at the same time these people are paid millions of dollars to make the best decisions possible. I'm having a hard time having trust and confidence in the approach the company is making right now.

well I guess by big picture I mean I try to stay focused on what truely matters my family, my health, my wellbeing, i dont like this whole situation anymore than anyone else, I am one of the fortunate ones who still is gainfully employed with my health insurance, my thoughts are with those who are not as fortunate, the troubles we are facing were not created by conway, they were created by the economic downturn, conway has done what all other companies are doing to survive, are all the decisions right? only time will tell, none of us will agree with all, if any, thats each persons right as an american, I am not any more pleased than others with the changes and layoffs, all i can do is focus on what i can do to protect myself, and my family, and remember how fourtunate I am in these hard times

Perhaps not caused by, but definitely a contributor. After all we are the original CnF company are we not. Don't believe everything you read in that pretty little Con-way book. If one wants to see a bigger piece of the picture it'll require a measure of sobriety. You'll have to stop accepting the government/corporate propaganda and begin studying things out for yourself. But I warn you, you wouldn't like what you find. But if you dare to embark of this quest for truth, this should get you started.

USS Liberty Memorial Main Page
The U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Northwoods Project

My question is what the hell are we going to do when the economy pops back? And believe me it will and when it does it be with one helluva bang. I know most everyone in the know believes this economic downturn is will be long winded. I will beg to disagree with them. Take last Friday for instance. The latest unemployment figures came out with devastating numbers. The Dow ho hummed it and the DOW actually went up! This current economy is merely an adjustment.

The stock market adjusts itself every three to five years. This is built into the system. What tanked this adjustment is three things.

One, it is an election year and the economy almost takes a hit during these years just for the simple fact of uncertainty. You have a lame duck president and an incoming administration that has yet to make its mark. The one thing the stock market does not like is uncertainty! That is why election years are just bad economically!

Two, the idiotic practice of sub-prime lending. Any economist worth their salt has been giving a clarion call about how inherently dangerous this predatory lending practice was. Eventually the chicken came home to roost and we now have one in ten mortgages in trouble directly or in-directly as result of this lending practice. This resulted in the banking community taking a huge hit as you all are very aware.

Three, real estate prices have been way out whack for decades (think Jimmy Carter). No way in hell can a couple making $45k qualify for a $250k home! The entire real estate market and all all of it parts have been sleeping with banking industry for years. Prices of new and existing homes were completely out of line. This finally caused a critical mass meltdown. The only way people could afford to buy a home was to participate in the ludicrous lending practices of the banking system (see reason #2).

We are NOT in a recession! What we are suffering is an economic adjustment with some unforseen complications. Once you understand this you will sleep better...trust me!

The economy is setting on a powder keg and all it requires is just a spark and all bets are off. The spark may come from anywhere. Once Obama takes office watch out! Not because he a genious but the reason I say this is a whole other thread! Keep in mind the government is going to bail out the auto industry...it has no choice. What you read in the news is McCarthy-istic head hunting for the publics benefit. Once that is over and the government has given their "we are in charge" speeches and have secured enough political capital to satisy their constituents and guarantee their re-election, the the money for the auto companies will be forthcoming. Or it may something as simple as a new technology that will set off the market. At any rate it is going to happen and happen in the very short term.

One thing that never changes is the fact the things always change. This economy is no different plus there is the undeniable law of action and reaction. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Yeak OK you say this is a physics law but it also appies to the market and economy. The pendulum always swings back the other way!

Before June of 09 (mostly likely Feb or Mar) people will be saying "what recession" and it will be just a bad memory! I have been a student of the market and economy for years. One thing is certain YRC is done. There may be others that go belly-up as well. YRC has mortgaged the hell out just about everything they can. The banks have cut them off and now they are hinging their survival on contract concessions. Yes history does repeat itself...Stollar is an idiot!

Even if it does survive (highly unlikely) they will never be the same, there is just too much baggage.

So I ask again what the hell are we going to do when the stuff hits the fan? Not enough facilities...not enough qualified people...the dust has started to settle.

Hang on boys and girls the fun is just beginning!!!

I think you need to go a little further in depth with you research. What has kept the market afloat for a number of years has been DIRTY money, drug money to a great extent.
Here, this should help. Solari | Navigating Toward a Financially Intimate World

Black Friday a Con-Way

just ran across your Con-Way Forum. Just curious where di d someone hear their would be call backs as a day one employee?? I personally just was laid off by con-way freight... Friday afternoon after 17 years of service. no notice no explanation. other than the were possibly doing a CSR call center.. any info wold be appreciated.