XPO | cameras and disipline?

And that's fine. I was looking for a job when I found this one. Wouldn't be any sweat off my back, I'm not an "offender". There's only one thing I figure I will get fired for, and if I got fired for it....about 30 other guys I know of would too. So until that day comes, I'll keep providing some lonely soul entertainment.

If the comoany would hire qualified, comoetent drivers...less dumb crap would happen. There is NOTHING unsafe about taking a drink, or putting a dip in. No hands ever come off the wheel, no eyes off the road, they have bigger things to worry about. These guys they hire who drop boxes constantly, have their back box lock up going down the road, who freak out when their back box gets moving around real good...jesus. It's like a bunch of swift or werner drivers. I've owned my own trucks, I've ran barefoot emoty over donner, and wolf creek pass in winter, I've hauled livestock, liquids in a 5500 gallon tanker with no bafles, that sloshes and rocks like crazy, these little trucks and a set of pups are like pickups and a 5'x10' utility trailer. This company is so whacked out of their mind on what is and isn't safe, and yet the rule makers have never spent time in a truck. If they would be picky on who they hire, instead of churning out driving school rejects, and let the PROFESSIONALS do their job, and keep the half wits on the dock where they belong...this place might be a little better.

Fire me for drinking from a straw while looking forwards with hand on the wheel...dare ya, that'll make a great court case.

I'm with ya on the hiring of professionals... All I was saying is that I don't like the idea of being subject to the scrutiny of someone who has never been behind the wheel at a moments notice. I know what I think is safe behavior, I don't want to have to defend my definition of safety every second of the day.

Trust me drive cam and all that nonsense will become common place eventually. These ceos and safety people all go to the same conferences and stuff. Eventually you will be able to buy a truck with the technology preinstalled.

I absolutely disagree with the "luck" thing. The guys with the best and longest safety records will tell you their success has little to do with a chance or the odds. It is all about understanding risks, behaviors, and performances. Anticipating risks, behaviors and lacking performances of others reduces the effects of luck. Now as far as the cameras go, guys need to understand the difference between cause and effect. G forces cause the camera to record, that effect is the trigger. Upon review DriveCam looks for cause. Currently a large mid-west terminal is coaching five or less incidences from cameras and eobrs combined each week. Once again, 80/20, 80% of drivers take responsibility to drive safe and efficient every day. Through coaching a lot of the remaining 20% can improve when they expand their understanding of the purpose of defensive driving and progressive shifting.

at our barn 100 per cent is told to the drivers "coached" that what caused the event was driver distraction. Still I used to agreed with your statement. But a guy can only get kicked in the teeth so much.

I think all this tech stuff is being used as a disguise for safety. In reality it is being used as a crutch! Good drivers will keep doing what they are doing. And bad drivers will rely on the electronics to get them through. All these devises just steer marginal drivers to depend on them. A driver see 200 observation and makes 20 split second decision in a mile (every mile) so how can someone that is not driving say it is right or wrong? I guess that is why management is saying that us seasoned drivers are so lucky. I really will not play well with some driver younger that one of my children tell me what I did wrong in preventing an accident when he or she has no clue!!.

I guess with all the money they got from Conway DriveCam has now rebranded it's self as Lytx

We're being watched live as much or more often than being recorded. I'm sure everyone knows this by now but they live stream you in the truck without the orange light ever coming on. They do live stream us under the green light. Any and all live streams of any and all trucks can be monitored by as many people/computers even thousands if needed at the same time and at various terminals/anywhere.

I just don't want anyone to think because the orange lights not on your not being watched. You can also be recorded under the green light via live stream in multiple ways. I'm not saying your being watched all the time but it is being done and can be done to you at anytime. I guess like anything, some people are just more fun to watch than others.

It's been a long, long time since I've identified a post with CLS (Chicken Little Syndrome), but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. RAIR, the company that reviews our logs for compliance is also part of the DriveCam company. So the company changes its name to better reflect the industry they are in, safety management. Now our company has changed the name of RSi to Con-Way Manufacturing, so is the sky going to fall because of this? Faith, a simple word. Faith loosely defined is belief without the necessity of proof. People have faith in God, their spouse, and many other things. But this modern age creates many, many opportunities to question faith. You can argue that you have absolutely no faith in your employer but yet you base your lifestyle on the belief that every Thursday your paycheck will be right where you expect it. So I have faith in the statement of my employer and the technology as it has been presented that this system being discussed is an event recorder but you say the system streams live. So the necessity of proof is pushed into your court, where's the proof to support your opinion?

There comes a point when a company or an individual reaches a point of diminishing returns, where even through increased effort the result is less. I honestly believe that is where Con-way is headed. They are asking more and more of their employees every day, all while boxing them in with more and more layers of rules and processes that they absolutely must follow. I don't believe in principle #3... Not every incident can be prevented. The harder you try the more impotent you make your workforce. For years Con-way was one of the leading ltl companies out there with an outstanding safety record. They didn't need all this crap that's being shoved down your throats to do so then, and they don't need it now.
The company does not ask you to drive faster, they slowed the trucks down. They do not ask you to haul more, there are still only five axles and that's 80,000 pounds. Good processes when shared throughout the network improve a company. By having standard processes you can quickly identify problems and correct them. This all leads to better performances and a more efficient company. The federal government has created a better system to monitor the performance of our fleet, CSA. So how does a company monitor, manage, and improve the performance of their drivers? For three years we have had the safety matrix and for three years we have heard our daily safety report and the numbers within it. How does a company go from managing safety reactively (after events occur) to managing safety proactively (preventing events from occurring). We can all get set down in a room and be told to drive out that gate and do it differently than yesterday just because the guy on the video says so. Our daily safety report reflects the impact that method has had. Modern technology allows a trucking company to manage each driver's actions instead of expectations. And for the record safety principle #4 talks to all incidents as being preventable. But it does not say drivers, accidents, or fault within that statement.

The company does not ask you to drive faster, they slowed the trucks down. They do not ask you to haul more, there are still only five axles and that's 80,000 pounds. Good processes when shared throughout the network improve a company. By having standard processes you can quickly identify problems and correct them. This all leads to better performances and a more efficient company. The federal government has created a better system to monitor the performance of our fleet, CSA. So how does a company monitor, manage, and improve the performance of their drivers? For three years we have had the safety matrix and for three years we have heard our daily safety report and the numbers within it. How does a company go from managing safety reactively (after events occur) to managing safety proactively (preventing events from occurring). We can all get set down in a room and be told to drive out that gate and do it differently than yesterday just because the guy on the video says so. Our daily safety report reflects the impact that method has had. Modern technology allows a trucking company to manage each driver's actions instead of expectations. And for the record safety principle #4 talks to all incidents as being preventable. But it does not say drivers, accidents, or fault within that statement.

Just fire all of the drivers and hire mind numb robots. Machines can do ALL of our work, right? Then do it, get it over with, and replace us all.

I wish I could find a MLB pitcher that could spin stuff like you do. Your lips must get dizzy.

I just wonder if the company gives him logo embossed knee pads for all his hard work, and if all that "extracurricular activity" builds PTO faster??

I've watched the new hire brain washed truck driving school graduates in the fac parking lots. Shift forks, and u-joint/driveshaft companies would be a wise investment if you boys are looking to play stocks on the side.

Watching them ride the new freightliners like a bucking horse makes me cry inside. When so many terminals back east would be dying for a cascadia.

So explain this... I have a friend who still works for Con-way. When he drives a cascadia he gets between a 90 and 95% on his efficiency rating. When in a city pos truck he's at 65%. You mean to tell me they didn't think to change the parameters between a road unit and a worn out city unit with a C9 cat motor with a 6-speed that runs 2200 rpm at cruising speed? What if you drove one every day, are they gonna bust your knuckles for being at 65%? Oh wait, "coach" a guy, gotta get the terminology right. I don't understand the purpose of the whole thing. If you don't trust a guy to do his job, why hire him in the first place? The more layers of crap the driver has to cut through to do his job the less "engaged" he's going to be. You want to save money, start by gearing the trucks to pull and don't starve them of fuel to where they're pulling constantly. I can get darn near 8 mpg at 70 mph with 2 loads the way they've got the trucks geared at OD.

If we had robots to drive the darn things we wouldnt need to hear you drivers complain about pay, wanting a new truck or health insurance! Haha

So explain this... I have a friend who still works for Con-way. When he drives a cascadia he gets between a 90 and 95% on his efficiency rating. When in a city pos truck he's at 65%. You mean to tell me they didn't think to change the parameters between a road unit and a worn out city unit with a C9 cat motor with a 6-speed that runs 2200 rpm at cruising speed? What if you drove one every day, are they gonna bust your knuckles for being at 65%? Oh wait, "coach" a guy, gotta get the terminology right. I don't understand the purpose of the whole thing. If you don't trust a guy to do his job, why hire him in the first place? The more layers of crap the driver has to cut through to do his job the less "engaged" he's going to be. You want to save money, start by gearing the trucks to pull and don't starve them of fuel to where they're pulling constantly. I can get darn near 8 mpg at 70 mph with 2 loads the way they've got the trucks geared at OD.

If we had robots to drive the darn things we wouldnt need to hear you drivers complain about pay, wanting a new truck or health insurance! Haha
The new thing now is the automatic transmission... ya see the video with the guy whom said he's so full of life or something like that...after pedaling freight all day and not having to shift any gears?
OK.now go break one, since you ain't tired.. I'll bet that song would come back if he new he. Wouldn't have to shift any gears..have all that extra energy to get the outbound shut down early. :bananag:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched the new hire brain washed truck driving school graduates in the fac parking lots. Shift forks, and u-joint/driveshaft companies would be a wise investment if you boys are looking to play stocks on the side.
it's conwashed not brain washed

it's conwashed not brain washed

hey, since we are blessed with your "attention", why is it OK for ABF to make money, but A sin for conway to want to make money?

Just wonderin'........I'm sure you have a good answer. Maybe you need to consult with Stoney before you answer..LOL