FedEx Freight | Change of Operations

1) Not necessarily. The company isn't allowed to cut any jobs and by moving the runs no jobs are being cut, there will still be work for all drivers after the fact. Whether or not drivers can "follow the freight" is considered a "work rule" and that must be negotiated...

2) No, leverage comes when one party has the ability to get what they want without the other party being able to stop them. "Throwing a bone" occurs when the one with leverage gives in because the outcome is of no value to them, which gives the appearance of cooperation.

3) Not attempting to get into the specifics, just pointing out when one "thinks" they have the upper hand, "reality" usually proves otherwise.

Just stating the obvious....

2) Work needs to be moved out of CLT, in order to allow growth. That work will be done by others, not part of the group. The degree of need generally equals the degree of leverage. Perhaps if, as you speculate, it's only a matter of allowing drivers to follow the freight, it will likely be approved, allowed, and agreed to. BUT, the fact that it is not yet certain or finalized, leads one to think, perhaps, there is more to it... :idunno:Worth mentioning, a mad rush to follow freight to GSP seems unlikely, due to the flawed, and lower, Geographic Pay Differential.

3) I would counter with, "when opportunity knocks, it often does so very softly". If not paying attention, it may go unnoticed...

*Let us know when CLT has an official meeting on the change, then we can quit speculating. As much fun as speculation has been, facts are better. :popcorn:

Agreed...to an extent. The union's needs are fairly limited and narrow...it's money!! The driver's and the company's wants/needs are more complex and must be negotiated but the one with the leverage usually wins.

NOTE: agreed, the Driver's and the Comapny are the primary parties and that equals two parties, not three...the drivers and the union are one party.
Now you are starting to sound like me. Kind of... There are really only 2 sides, correct. But there are 3 parties, 2 of which occupy the same side. The driver side.

2) Work needs to be moved out of CLT, in order to allow growth. That work will be done by others, not part of the group. The degree of need generally equals the degree of leverage. Perhaps if, as you speculate, it's only a matter of allowing drivers to follow the freight, it will likely be approved, allowed, and agreed to. BUT, the fact that it is not yet certain or finalized, leads one to think, perhaps, there is more to it... :idunno:Worth mentioning, a mad rush to follow freight to GSP seems unlikely, due to the flawed, and lower, Geographic Pay Differential.

3) I would counter with, "when opportunity knocks, it often does so very softly". If not paying attention, it may go unnoticed...

*Let us know when CLT has an official meeting on the change, then we can quit speculating. As much fun as speculation has been, facts are better. :popcorn:

Exactly who is going to follow freight to a center with lower pay.

Exactly who is going to follow freight to a center with lower pay.

There could be some. Drivers at bottom of totem pole. Drivers that live closer and toll money you might be saving. Oh and the biggest TAXES. This is all speculation on my part since I'm not familiar with road and bridge tolls and TAXES down south. But up here in the northeast it makes a lot of difference.

2) Actually, they need to move work out of CLT to relieve the pressure, we have no more room to grow. If "the degree of need equals the degree of leverage" as you claim, then it's obvious that the company has all of the leverage...the "members" couldn't stop them when they moved freight from CLT to GSP to "relieve the pressure" making GSP a mini-hub, nor could they stop them from moving runs...because no jobs will be lost. How do you know it to be "fact" that the moving of the runs has not been finalized??
Actually, a "mad rush" to GSP is unlikely NOT because of the wage difference but rather the fact that the only daytime road runs they'll have are the ones they're getting from CLT!! This is based on the fact that drivers are lining up to transfer to GBO because they do have other daytime road runs, even though GBO's road board is stacked with senior drivers where GSP's is not.

3) Opportunity knocked the door down but they refused to walk through, instead they chose to put door back up and attempt to pick the lock!!

It's my understanding that the official meeting in CLT will be next month, we'll have to wait on the "member's" group txt that's sent to the masses after the meeting to find out the results, or we can rely on those from GBO & GSP to provide the results...I'm guessing the results from GBO/GSP will contain facts without the spin!! :1036316054:

Last edited:
There could be some. Drivers at bottom of totem pole. Drivers that live closer and toll money you might be saving. Oh and the biggest TAXES. This is all speculation on my part since I'm not familiar with road and bridge tolls and TAXES down south. But up here in the northeast it makes a lot of difference.

The only plausible thing you mentioned to me is living closer. The other things would most likely not take up a dollar and a half difference on hour.

The only plausible thing you mentioned to me is living closer. The other things would most likely not take up a dollar and a half difference on hour.
You obviously don't understand the difference between North and South Carolina's tax structure...it's cheaper to live in SC.
Let's look at fuel as one example...NC gas tax is 37.5 cents per gallon while SC's gas tax is 16 cents per gallon...a 134% increase for NC residents!!
Let's look at property taxes...NC's medium property tax rate is .75% while SC's is .5%...a 50% increase for NC residents!!
Let's look at income taxes...NC boast the 11th highest in the country at 5.75% while SC uses an adjusted scale based on various factors but has a state avg of 4.17% which ranks 27th...a 38% increase for NC residents!!

Now to get back on topic...any news of a COO for CRW??

2) Actually, they need to move work out of CLT to relieve the pressure, we have no more room to grow. If "the degree of need equals the degree of leverage" as you claim, then it's obvious that the company has all of the leverage...the "members" couldn't stop them when they moved freight from CLT to GSP to "relieve the pressure" making GSP a mini-hub, nor could they stop them from moving runs...because no jobs will be lost. How do you know it to be "fact" that the moving of the runs has not been finalized??
Actually, a "mad rush" to GSP is unlikely NOT because of the wage difference but rather the fact that the only daytime road runs they'll have are the ones they're getting from CLT!! This is based on the fact that drivers are lining up to transfer to GBO because they do have other daytime road runs, even though GBO's road board is stacked with senior drivers where GSP's is not.

3) Opportunity knocked the door down but they refused to walk through, instead they chose to put door back up and attempt to pick the lock!!

It's my understanding that the official meeting in CLT will be next month, we'll have to wait on the "member's" group txt that's sent to the masses after the meeting to find out the results, or we can rely on those from GBO & GSP to provide the results...I'm guessing the results from GBO/GSP will contain facts without the spin!! :1036316054:
2)
(a) You misunderstand. The degree of one side's need reflects the degree of leverage yielded to the OTHER SIDE.
(b) The previous movement of work (freight) only effected non CLT drivers. Hence, the "no problemo" nature of that change.
(c) We all know very little, due to what is said to be a situation involving negotiation AND decisions not yet finalized, so we speculate.
(d) Certainly wages are part of the decision making criteria.

3)
(a) When did opportunity knock down the door? Are you speaking of another matter? One I'm not aware of? :idunno:
(b)The way I understand it, the GSP meeting was very light on specifics. "In process" and "to be determined", were the overarching themes.

* There is a small circle of people (committee members & upper management) who know the whole story. If I did know, I probably wouldn't be at liberty to share. In that case we would not be having all this fun speculating. Lucky us! :grin:

Last edited:
2)
(a) You misunderstand. The degree of one side's need reflects the degree of leverage yielded to the OTHER SIDE.
(b) The previous movement of work (freight) only effected non CLT drivers. Hence, the "no problemo" nature of that change.
(c) We all know very little, due to what is said to be a situation involving negotiation AND decisions not yet finalized, so we speculate.

3)
(a) When did opportunity knock down the door? Are you speaking of another matter? One I'm not aware of? :idunno:
(b)The way I understand it, the GSP meeting was very light on specifics. "In process" and "to be determined", were the overarching themes.

* There is a small circle of people (committee members & upper management) who know the whole story. If I did know, I probably wouldn't be at liberty to share. In that case we would not be having all this fun speculating. Lucky us! :grin:
2) (a) you still don't understand the rules...the company can't cut any jobs according to the NLRB, by moving runs no jobs will be cut...there's nothing to negotiate here. Negotiations come into play when considering work rules...whether or not drivers can "follow the freight...and since they company could care less whether the drivers go or stay, there is no perceived leverage!!
(b) I beg to differ, the previous move of freight to GSP didn't in fact effect CLT drivers...no jobs were lost per say but we did lose work in the form of the amount of runs available, but everyone is still working..."no problemo" as you say.
(c) we know that nothing can be done to stop the move of runs (as shown in examples a & b from above), we speculate on whether or not drivers will be able to "follow the freight".

3) "Opportunity knocked the door down" when we presented them with a way out (our previous decert by the majority), "they chose to put the door back up" by refusing our request (moving forward wasting time & money) and "attempted to pick the lock" (negotiations)...the "members" have never had the upper hand. Again, when one "thinks" they have the upper hand, "reality" usually proves otherwise
(b) it's quite possible that the "specifics" you speak of were pertaining to "the following of the freight".

*Agreed...and unfortunately the "story" comes out in the form of a group txt by the "members" and second hand news that's filled with BS and biased spin that we have to decifer in order to get the real facts...and trust me, it's not worth sharing here!!

No word on anything out west, but SAC is busting at the seams. It's only gonna get worse if the economy keeps gaining as I suspect it will. There's a positive new spirit with the average working joe coinciding with the current administration no doubt

2) (a) you still don't understand the rules...the company can't cut any jobs according to the NLRB, by moving runs no jobs will be cut...there's nothing to negotiate here. Negotiations come into play when considering work rules...whether or not drivers can "follow the freight...and since they company could care less whether the drivers go or stay, there is no perceived leverage!!
(b) I beg to differ, the previous move of freight to GSP didn't in fact effect CLT drivers...no jobs were lost per say but we did lose work in the form of the amount of runs available, but everyone is still working..."no problemo" as you say.
(c) we know that nothing can be done to stop the move of runs (as shown in examples a & b from above), we speculate on whether or not drivers will be able to "follow the freight".

3) "Opportunity knocked the door down" when we presented them with a way out (our previous decert by the majority), "they chose to put the door back up" by refusing our request (moving forward wasting time & money) and "attempted to pick the lock" (negotiations)...the "members" have never had the upper hand. Again, when one "thinks" they have the upper hand, "reality" usually proves otherwise
(b) it's quite possible that the "specifics" you speak of were pertaining to "the following of the freight".

*Agreed...and unfortunately the "story" comes out in the form of a group txt by the "members" and second hand news that's filled with BS and biased spin that we have to decifer in order to get the real facts...and trust me, it's not worth sharing here!!
CORRECTION: (b) I beg to differ, the previous move of freight to GSP DID in fact effect CLT drivers...

Proof reading would probably serve me well

CORRECTION: (b) I beg to differ, the previous move of freight to GSP DID in fact effect CLT drivers...

Proof reading would probably serve me well
No, I think you were correct before.

How were CLT drivers effected, when drivers from the chosen centers went to GSP instead of CLT, broke their freight and went back home? :scratchhead:

You obviously don't understand the difference between North and South Carolina's tax structure...it's cheaper to live in SC.
Let's look at fuel as one example...NC gas tax is 37.5 cents per gallon while SC's gas tax is 16 cents per gallon...a 134% increase for NC residents!!
Let's look at property taxes...NC's medium property tax rate is .75% while SC's is .5%...a 50% increase for NC residents!!
Let's look at income taxes...NC boast the 11th highest in the country at 5.75% while SC uses an adjusted scale based on various factors but has a state avg of 4.17% which ranks 27th...a 38% increase for NC residents!!

Now to get back on topic...any news of a COO for CRW??

Then why haven't you transferred to one of the South Carolina terminals then? What are you waiting on? Yes we gained one run, back in January but doubt it will be permanent. Just looking at one of the things you mentioned here is gas price difference on average im only seeing a 16 cent difference in states.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/USA.

Looks like you are off on property tax too by alot. NC is .85 percent to SC .57 percent.
https://taxfoundation.org/how-high-are-property-taxes-your-state/

Last edited:
Don't ever move to the northeast because all there is,is toll roads and higher taxes everywhere you go.lol

We have a toll road here and people who live here who travel it daily get a discount plus there are other roads around it if you don't want to pay that only cost a few more minutes to drive.

No, I think you were correct before.

How were CLT drivers effected, when drivers from the chosen centers went to GSP instead of CLT, broke their freight and went back home? :scratchhead:
Simple, it's all "hub" freight whether it comes to CLT or GSP which creates overages in various lanes, nightly. Those overages are covered by "hub discretion"...if dispatch can double turn a driver while keeping a part time dock worker a little longer to compensate for the dock hours, than so be it, but on runs where drivers can't be double turned or no drivers are available, the freight is covered by that hub's extraboard. Since GSP has become a mini-hub, the amount of "extra" CLT hub runs has fallen off dramatically, going from 6-7 extra runs per night to 2-3.

Last edited:
Then why haven't you transferred to one of the South Carolina terminals then? What are you waiting on? Yes we gained one run, back in January but doubt it will be permanent. Just looking at one of the things you mentioned here is gas price difference on average im only seeing a 16 cent difference in states.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/USA.

Looks like you are off on property tax too by alot. NC is .85 percent to SC .57 percent.
https://taxfoundation.org/how-high-are-property-taxes-your-state/
Simple, not one center in SC has any daytime runs...yet.

Those are average prices for the state and those prices depend on where you live...the state fuel tax is as previously stated.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/property-tax-by-state
Be sure to click the states on the map to find the property tax for that state.