XPO | Con-way in Canada , a

. Most Americans know very little about Canada, and could care less, so I always take the opportunity to shine a light for anyone that wants to see. You don't have to limit it to the company side of things either but you can just bugger right off if you want to know where my fishin holes are!!!

Most of us in the South don't hear a lot about Canada..we think it is just a big frozen tundra...Ice Road Truckers, if you will..Your not in the news very much. Start a war or something..let us know you are there.

How is the fishing? Do you fish more in the Winter or Summer months?

no 16 hour rule, we do have a 2 hour weather/unforseen circumstances rule, but we only use that in rare circumstances, ie. road closure due to an accident. PTO is structured the same. as for healthcare, I feel our system is badly overtaxed. High patient to doctor ratio which leads to poor care. Me personally, my doctor retired, and I had to go on a waiting list until a doctor accepting new patients opened up. There is a lot of abuse in our medical system, people going in for things stat they shouldn't, homeless people going to the hospital with made up things just to get a warm place to sleep. IMO, if you do not stop obamacare, it will tear your country apart. We have these problems in a country of about 27 million people... imagine in your country of what, 500 million people? As for the 417 trailers, I have seen them stay in the states for 6 months, bouncing around, until the nasty e-mails are sent... then they make their way back up here. Dude is correct, I know of one driver that took a 20,000 fine ( sent to the company. ) for pulling a 417 trailer on a p&d run. He had no cdn freight on it, and he had a DOT officer that knew their stuff.

There was a Con-way Freight Canada trailer in Dallas last year.

Most of us in the South don't hear a lot about Canada..we think it is just a big frozen tundra...Ice Road Truckers, if you will..Your not in the news very much. Start a war or something..let us know you are there.

LOL, Canada start a war? Bet you didn't hear the story about us having to borrow batteries from you guys to start our f-18's when we helped out in Kosovo.

I hope I didn't sound condescending when I said Americans know very little about Canada, I didn't mean it that way. It's just that it is much like you say, you just don't hear anything about us, so you really don't know. We usually get a dose of american history in school here, but I'm sure you don't get a dose of canadian history down there.

I used to do a lot of ice fishing in my younger years, but I reserve most of my fishing energy for the summer now. It's still big here in the winter, but not for me. Too hard to dig a hole big enough for the boat... :biglaugh:

Well, I'm a die hard ice fishing nut. Still fishing here, will be on the ice until the end of march. We are getting monster walleye, and sumo perch.

No, it's not nearly as bad as the American media and some politicians make it out to be. Health Care is not rationed, nor do we have people sitting on 'death boards' like I heard once before. Is it the greatest system? Absolutely not. They do though, when it comes to minor things have not really a queue, but that's the best way to explain it. They will put a guy that needs a hip replacement behind a guy that needs a triple bypass, etc. Which only makes sense. The problems with out heatlh care system are not at all about the major stuff like heart attacks, cancer, etc. It's about the minor stuff, like knee surgery, hip replacement, etc. We usually have a backlog in the system for that kind of stuff. Any emergency stuff is dealt with immediatly.

I think that some of the best health care systems in the world are in europe and asia where they have a mix of public and private, or publically funded but privately delivered healthcare. Canada and the US are both complete polar opposites with regards to the health care system and they both have flaws that need to be fixed. No ine should die of cancer because they can't afford it, but your 80 year old mother shouldn't have to wait a year for a new hip just because she is not a priority.

Well Said I'm a Canadian but I work in the Us been here most of my life Canada 's system in a lot of ways is better cause at the very least you don't have uninsured people out there unlike the US but I agree it has flaws ,Both systems have many Unfortunately Obama care didn't fix nothing it made an already broke system even worse !!

Thanks to Dude-PWB and Up North. Your post are very informative. Are there only 2 people on here that work in Canada?

LOL, Canada start a war? Bet you didn't hear the story about us having to borrow batteries from you guys to start our f-18's when we helped out in Kosovo.

I hope I didn't sound condescending when I said Americans know very little about Canada, I didn't mean it that way. It's just that it is much like you say, you just don't hear anything about us, so you really don't know. We usually get a dose of american history in school here, but I'm sure you don't get a dose of canadian history down there.

I used to do a lot of ice fishing in my younger years, but I reserve most of my fishing energy for the summer now. It's still big here in the winter, but not for me. Too hard to dig a hole big enough for the boat... :biglaugh:

I've been to the frozen north a bunch of times (from Halifax to Victoria and several cities in between). It's a great place to visit in the summer. When you want to leave though, they hold you for ransome (they call it an airport security fee, eh) of about $26CAD. :)

upnorth said:
I thought we had 2 pto days dude-pwb? that's what our tm told us at vacation bid time? Agreed on the shafting.... they took one up the pooper big time!

PTO are different depending on the Province you live in. Basically Con-way evened out the holidays so that we have the same number of holidays as the USA. Since some provinces have more holidays then others each province is different. Alberta and Saskatchewan get 1, Manitoba gets 2, Ontario and Quebec get three and the east cost get two.

beerfd said:

The last time we started a war, we defeated the USA. Think it was 1860's or something. Now we rely on big brother to save us since we invest nothing into our army.

icuicp said:
Thanks to Dude-PWB and Up North. Your post are very informative. Are there only 2 people on here that work in Canada?

I think there a few of us on here. Just not much said about Canada on here normally.

snaildriver said:
I've been to the frozen north a bunch of times (from Halifax to Victoria and several cities in between). It's a great place to visit in the summer. When you want to leave though, they hold you for ransome (they call it an airport security fee, eh) of about $26CAD. :)

We have to pay that two at some airports, mostly the small ones. Never seen it that expensive. Usually under 10 bucks.

Do you guys watch the NFL or CFL or both or neither? Why do you think that Canadian football teams "American football" are not in the NFL? You guys are in the MLB and the NHL, why not the NFL as well?

radman said:
Do you guys watch the NFL or CFL or both or neither? Why do you think that Canadian football teams "American football" are not in the NFL? You guys are in the MLB and the NHL, why not the NFL as well?

We are also in the NBA. I prefer NFL, but I'm from the east. I know that CFL is big in the west. I believe we won't join the NFL because Canada will loose the I only sport they can win, no Americans in it... Lol. Hockey use to be our sport, but can't remember the last time a Canadian team won.

Although the two games look similar, they are quite different in a lot of ways. Joining the NFL is not an option with our game, because there are just too many differences. Many american players are more suited to our game since with the wider longer field, speed is more essential to our game than size and strength. We are more of a passing league than the NFL is. A lead with 2 minutes left is an eternity and in no way means you have won the game. I like both games, but prefer the CFL. I usually start watching the NFL once the CFL season is over.

Toronto was trying to lure the NFL into thinking they could support an NFL franchise but only proved they can't support anything without sticks and skates. An utter disaster having to give away half the tickets for the Bills games and they still couldn't fill the stadium.