XPO | Con-way in Canada , a

sorry, should clarify... they are allowed, but we don't have the trucked governed, or the tachs hooked up to be compliant with saskatchewan. We can, but we don't.

sorry, should clarify... they are allowed, but we don't have the trucked governed, or the tachs hooked up to be compliant with saskatchewan. We can, but we don't.

I thought they changed that in SK now? Would think so with all those double 53's rolling through there now. Maybe Con-Way just hasn't done the training with the guys there?

I do know that they are only allowed to be pulled on divided highways... I'm not sure if they run those when they meet the alberta guys for their switches... 2 lanes to the u.s. border, so no triples down that way.

upnorth said:
I do know that they are only allowed to be pulled on divided highways... I'm not sure if they run those when they meet the alberta guys for their switches... 2 lanes to the u.s. border, so no triples down that way.

Triples are not allowed in Saskatchewan when using the a-dolly configuration. Con-way wont change their designs. All other combinations are allowed.

thanks TMSK... I knew there was an issue with our design... they told us they just weren't going to train us... makes sense now.

I pull triples every night. We pull them in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.

I know you guys have "434" tractors, are those single axle or twin axle? Also, what engines do they have? What kind of mileage are you guys putting on the trucks up there?

photostream

Canadia trailer out of NRM
We seem to get them pretty regularly down @ nnc

I know you guys have "434" tractors, are those single axle or twin axle? Also, what engines do they have? What kind of mileage are you guys putting on the trucks up there?

They are singles. The old freightliner FLD 120 bunk trucks were 436- and were tandems. We run the same power you guys do, same mileage, nothing is different, except for the numbers. I think they had some sterlings with bigger power and ten speeds in Calgary at one time, anticipating running the mountains but it never happened after the downfall of Con-Way in Vancouver.

Silly question: You have million mile drivers? I thought you were on the metric system , shouldn't you have million kilometer drivers instead?

As far as I know we have one. He's out of Quebec, i did a training course with him last year. We have not been open as long as the American side.

As far as I know we have one. He's out of Quebec, i did a training course with him last year. We have not been open as long as the American side.

So , is he a Million Miler or a Million Kilometer-er? Are your runs in kilometers or miles?

you guys kill me!! our linehaul runs are all in miles, he's a million miler. payroll pays us in miles.

The company operates in miles, therefore we canadians operate in miles too. Should have seen the uproar in Ann Arbor in the old CCX when i used a rental one week that was in kilometers. Ever since then if I have to use kilometers, i convert it and write both down.

They are singles. The old freightliner FLD 120 bunk trucks were 436- and were tandems. We run the same power you guys do, same mileage, nothing is different, except for the numbers. I think they had some sterlings with bigger power and ten speeds in Calgary at one time, anticipating running the mountains but it never happened after the downfall of Con-Way in Vancouver.

So you guys have Sterling's and also the new Freightliner Cascadia's? How about re-furb Sterling's? Within the last year they have refurbished almost all of the 2001-2003 Sterling trucks with Detriot Diesel engines, not the Cat C12 engines. Almost all of the Sterlings that have gone to be refurbished had anywhere from 1 million to 1.4 million miles on them. You guys put that kinda miles on your trucks too?
Oddly enough, i pulled a Conway Freight Canada trailer yesterday, took a pic of it but can't figure out how to post it here. It was a 2000 model trailer.

So you guys have Sterling's and also the new Freightliner Cascadia's? How about re-furb Sterling's? Within the last year they have refurbished almost all of the 2001-2003 Sterling trucks with Detriot Diesel engines, not the Cat C12 engines. Almost all of the Sterlings that have gone to be refurbished had anywhere from 1 million to 1.4 million miles on them. You guys put that kinda miles on your trucks too?
Oddly enough, i pulled a Conway Freight Canada trailer yesterday, took a pic of it but can't figure out how to post it here. It was a 2000 model trailer.

Yup, we have the same trucks you guys do. I haven't seen any of the refurbs yet but have seen a few of the sterlings be retired. Have a 2000 sterling now that has close to a million on it, soon to be retired as well.

To add an attachment you need the full editor, click on go advanced on the right hand side once you are in the quick reply window.

Yup, we have the same trucks you guys do. I haven't seen any of the refurbs yet but have seen a few of the sterlings be retired. Have a 2000 sterling now that has close to a million on it, soon to be retired as well.

To add an attachment you need the full editor, click on go advanced on the right hand side once you are in the quick reply window.

Yea, all i want to do is add a picture to the post, but it looks like when you go to "insert Image" you can only copy and post a URL, which i did, but the picture came up as a " X " (a few post back). I must be doing something wrong. I went to full editor and it looks like it has the same options.

Anyhow, down here in my area they are parking mostly 2000 model linehaul units, (they don't even have cup holders) and the "432" CCX units dont have a/c in them. There are a few 1999 air start "632" CSE units still around too. Was Conway Canada started in 2000? Ive only seen trailers that were 2000 models.
The refurb sterling units are much nicer, added upgrades are air ride cab, sirius/xm radio, 22.5" wheels, new yost 5th wheel, new engine, paint and decals.

CCX started in Canada in (I think) 96 or 98. but it was only a few service centers, like montreal, toronto, winnipeg and vancouver. They went with a more wide ranging official Con-Way Canada Express in 2000 with new tractors, trailers and dollies.

This is great stuff. Thanks for the Canadian information. I drove otr back in 02/03 and did a ton up in Canada. The only provinces I never made it to were BC and Alberta. I always enjoyed going up there because it was something different and other than the 401, traffic was cake since I was used to Chicago to NYC runs.

I haven't been there since about June of 2003, but I can tell everyone that the issues crossing the boarder are exaggerated and it's a matter of not being a moron and having your paperwork in order. I'm sure the process has changed but the same principal remains.

It's been a long time since I've been up there but I have good memories of running up there that a lot of Con-way drivers in the states never got to experience. I probably did at least 20 Sarnia to Buffalo pass throughs on top of all the pick up and deliveries. One of the coolest places I ever saw was Nova Scotia. I was taken on a ferry to make my delivery. In Quebec, I remember all the signs being in French but finding my way around without any big issues. Probably loaded out of Becancour, Qc 15 times back to Cleveland after delivering in the Boston area.

The load and trip I remember the most was from the province of Newfoundland to Minneapolis, Minnesota. I ran up through Montreal and across Canada 17 which takes you through Ottawa, Ontario and across through North Bay then to Soult St Marie, Ontario. The lack of urban sprawl was unreal. Ottawa is a big city but 5 minutes later I was in fields and 20 minutes later I was on the two lane of 17.

I'm glad I got the opportunity to run up there before I started working at Con-way. Although I wouldn't wish long-haul otr on my worst enemy, I do think a lot of our drivers would have a different view of this company if they had done my job before they started here.

Great stuff from our Canadian co-workers.. great stuff..

The one thing I wanted to ask is do you run bigger combinations up there with Con-way? I know it was already kinda asked but I remember all those big trucks up there. In the States we call them Michigan trucks or centipedes. Those things were heavy looking. For those that have never been to Michigan or Canada they are regular 3 axle trucks pulling 8 axle trailers.. definitely something different..

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, the largest axle combinations you will see will be in Ontario and Quebec, unless its a huge equipment move in Alberta, those things can be impressive. Con-Way doesn't run any different equipment up here than you huys do down there.

The run you made on 17 across Ontario is a nice run, still pretty populated compared to what I am used to, but obviously pretty sparse compared to those big cities in the south. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, British Columbia, they are absolute treasures for scenery. I'm glad you had the chance to experience it. I made enough runs through the 290/294 corridor and back and forth across the GW to make me shake my head wondering how people live like that every day. The biggest thing with border crossings is attitude. You have to remember that regardless of where you come from, or are going to, when you are at the border, you are in no-mans land, and you belong no-where until they say you do. I have seen to many indignant and ignorant people, on both sides, who think that just because they are canadian/american, and they are going home, that they pull some kind of attitude when they walk into the customs shack thinking they are home. The truth is, you have no rights and you are nobody UNTIL they grant you access. I always went in there with a 'yessir' attitude and never had a problem.