XPO | Con-way in Canada , a

Those centipedes are not allowed in western Canada, not sure about Ontario or Quebec. You are correct about the border, get your ducks in a row, and good to go!

Those centipedes are not allowed in western Canada, not sure about Ontario or Quebec. You are correct about the border, get your ducks in a row, and good to go!

What are they concerned about most at the border? Stolen goods, illegal people, drugs, not paying taxes.. which is it?

What are they concerned about most at the border? Stolen goods, illegal people, drugs, not paying taxes.. which is it?

Really, they are more concerned that people have their stuff in order. When they ask you a question, give them the answer, not an explanation, if they want an explanation, they will ask for one. If they ask you if you bought anything, and you did, tell them yes, and show them the receipt. If they say you did something wrong, say sorry, what do i need to do to make it right. When people start complaining about crap, and arguing with the rules, then you are in for a long ride with customs. Also remember, customs knows everything about you, more than the police do. If the teacher kicked you in the arse in grade school for taking a crap in the sandbox, they know it, so if they ask, tell them the truth. I have seen more guys get permitted access for having a shady past but telling the truth, than guys with no past being indignant thinking they don't have to answer questions.

about 2 to 3 times a year i see 417 trls here in reno, we normally load ubu butte, mt freight in them and send them out

How many service centers are there in Canada? I get freight on my route from XHL and XCQ (ontario) terminals i think. Also, every now and then i see pup trailers with the "417" number on them and the Conway Freight Canada logo. I guess they are supposed to stay up in canada? Im curious about p&d runs too, i bet there are some long ones.
in reno, nv we have one run that runs once a week,550 to 600 miles round trip, its services the gold mines in central nv. a 10 to 12 hr ren

in reno, nv we have one run that runs once a week,550 to 600 miles round trip, its services the gold mines in central nv. a 10 to 12 hr ren

Is one driver assigned to it? Or do you get volunteered for this run? As far as remote , out-of-the-way deliveries in the US and Canada , isn't that when a zone driver gets the freight?

Don't answer this question like I should know already- I don't know , that's why I asked.

We have one run out of our barn which I think is still the longest single driver run in the company.... 730 miles round trip. Most of our zone drivers run to an fac or a meet to get their freight

We have a couple zones in our territory that are swamped right now, freight we get for outside the zone service area is given to a sub service carrier to deliver. We load a trailer of out of town freight for our sub service carrier every day.

We have a couple zones in our territory that are swamped right now, freight we get for outside the zone service area is given to a sub service carrier to deliver. We load a trailer of out of town freight for our sub service carrier every day.

A lot of zones are swamped up here. I know of a few that should be service centers already.

I was just about to as about the "zones". Im sitting here looking at a transit time guide for my terminal and im checking out the Canada area. So as for Prince Albert, SK (zone)...... does that zone driver run to Regina, SK (service center) each night? That looks like it would be a heck of a run! Or say.... Regina, SK to Winnipeg, MB?

I was just about to as about the "zones". Im sitting here looking at a transit time guide for my terminal and im checking out the Canada area. So as for Prince Albert, SK (zone)...... does that zone driver run to Regina, SK (service center) each night? That looks like it would be a heck of a run! Or say.... Regina, SK to Winnipeg, MB?

Regina to Winnipeg is a linehaul run. I think Prince Albert is a cartage point now. I think they used to run Prince Albert out of the zone in Saskatoon but not sure if they do anymore. The Saskatoon zone has (or at least used to) a linehaul that runs into Regina every night.

The canadian zones are the same as the old central zones with trucks and drivers based in the zone. I think the southern and western zones used to run from the nearest service center?

dude is correct.... prince albert is cartage now. Saskatoon still runs into regina nightly, they are way busier than regina is for freight. Last I heard they have 2 drivers going hard there every day. Regina to winnipeg is the long run, great in the summer, sucks big time in the winter!!! you can break 90k doing that run. Most nights we do a meet and turn out that way, to shave a couple hours off the run, but if regina is short manpower, then it's a full run.

In very remote areas like Canada has, do drivers have to take handhelds with them? If they have to carry handhelds , what good are they if there is no service in remote areas?

they don't use handhelds in the zones, still call in for pick-ups, and report their deliveries by call in as well....

dude is correct.... prince albert is cartage now. Saskatoon still runs into regina nightly, they are way busier than regina is for freight. Last I heard they have 2 drivers going hard there every day. Regina to winnipeg is the long run, great in the summer, sucks big time in the winter!!! you can break 90k doing that run. Most nights we do a meet and turn out that way, to shave a couple hours off the run, but if regina is short manpower, then it's a full run.

Wow, Regina to Winnipeg looks like a really long run. Id say at least 350 miles one way. Our longest run from my terminal is 564 miles round trip and that takes about 5 hours one way. I can only imagine that run in the snow and ice! A meet and turn would be much easier on the driver, heh!

Yep, it is!!! money is great though.... you hit the ground running, get hooked, get the heck out of there as fast as possible as your fighting the clock. I'll have to ask the s'toon zone driver when I see him about the handhelds.

upnorth said:
As far as I know we have one. He's out of Quebec, i did a training course with him last year. We have not been open as long as the American side.

I believe there are several across Canada. I know of at least five in Ontario.

beerfd said:

It's all about the tax income. If they happen to catch the odd shipment of drugs or illegal weapons, bonus. But their biggest concern is collecting the tax money on the millions of loads of goods that cross the border each day.