FedEx Freight | CORPORATE communication FEEDBACK

About Don Brown comments,..we can (should) discuss the pros, cons, and merits of his position, going forward.

I think Don Brown (or favorite finance guy) fails to recall what led up to the “biggest wage increase in company history”, including long overdue GPD corrections at 56 centers.

Questions:

How many years did the bottom line benefit from less than COLA increases, as well as other "cost cutting measures"?

How might these “historic” increases have contributed to FedEx Freight (currently) doing better than the industry as a whole?

What would the current picture look like without the increases?

The answers would likely be outside the fine margins, that the CFO is focused on. Outside of his field of vision, I suspect. Or perhaps it just makes his job more difficult.

People contribute to each step of the customer satisfaction/service process. Without motivated people (the 1st P in PSP), the current industry leading growth would not be there. Low satisfaction/service would effect profit in a negative direction. Cause and effect must be factored in.

Without the increased wages, growth could be flat, and we would likely be hearing about how we simply must do more, The squeeze would still be in full force and a disgruntled workforce (top to bottom) would likely still be the norm. The corrections have contributed substantially to the bottom line in terms of lower turnover, employee engagement, etc.

Instead of dwelling on the past, it might be more productive to focus on how and where to bring more improvements. Know that they do, in fact, contribute to the long term success of that bottom line.

Last edited:
August Video:

On location in Memphis.

Shout out to NTDC participants. 1St time we have all 50 Sates represented.

Words of encouragement to competitors in Supertech event in Sept.

Congrats on effectiveness of the sales lead contest. 50% of leads said to be bringing incremental revenue.

FedEx Cares, United Way effort under way through Oct 10.

Sean Healy (VP strategic planning/engineering) was the guest, speaking on technology making it's way through the system. 600 mobile managers deployed so far. Solar powered GPS (20 year battery life) for rail units. Paperless Bill of Ladings coming, as well as Dementional scanners making their way into the system. Better ones being developed, to scan in motion.

RFID tracking, also coming soon. This will allow superior tracking, and most importantly auto manifest shipments on/off trailers. Huge step in streamlining process. Way ahead of the competition

Telematics making it's way. 43 centers, so far. Coming to northeast centers soon.

Mike spoke on the topic of “Living PSP”. He also had “some” (his word) in Corporate leadership speak on the topic, from their perspective. I'm unsure who didn't speak. 13 spoke, including EVP, several SVPs, VPs, and (all?) RVPs. Certainly put a face with some familiar names, and reinforced the comments from from the July video, when John Smith said "all in leadership should now be on the same page", in terms of PSP.

Finally, Mike spoke in memoriam of Earl Reese. P/T dock worker out of Buffalo, killed in accident while unloading a trailer. Sincere condolences.

Last edited:
Not to bring back a dead horse, but i was told today by a customer that we charge 50 dollars if a city driver has to call the customer. Lol
I know there is a notify/appointment charge, but not sure about the call 30 min prior to delivery instructions. I tend to let dispatch make that call. It avoids a return call later in the day, from a suspicious spouse...

A couple good things that seem significant from the latest video.

When the RFID becomes fully implemented, it should be a huge improvement for anyone working the dock. The obvious efficiency improvement is one thing, but the elimination of the need to get off of the forklift twice for every shipment should be a welcome improvement. Set brake, turn off key, remove seatbelt, 3 point exit, data entry, repeat in reverse order, twice... For me, and the limited time I spend on the dock, that is the most frustrating series of actions required.

The dimensional scanners, it seems, is a much preferred method, over the Conway/XPO model, of drivers with tape measures...

On a different note: I wonder if it woud be too much to ask for the videos to be presented to everyone, during a similar time frame. No need for it to be the same day, but perhaps the same week, at least. The 2nd or 3rd week would be ideal, IMHO.

I can think of several benefits to the above consistency, and no reasons against.

Last edited:
I did not see this video.I could watch it on the intranet but you need to use your ID number and one of their convoluted passwords. Tracking who watches it through the intranet is something I do not agree with. Maybe it's my loss or perhaps it's their loss/

I did not see this video.I could watch it on the intranet but you need to use your ID number and one of their convoluted passwords. Tracking who watches it through the intranet is something I do not agree with. Maybe it's my loss or perhaps it's their loss/
That is disappointing news, especially on the heels of being told that "all in leadership should now be on the same page". Apparently not "all" are on board.

There are some simple principals involved here. 1) The fact that we finally have unfiltered communication from Corporate, and that should remain unfiltered. Any Manager not "on board" to the extent that they don't share the communication, is (in effect) filtering that very communication. 2) If Mike Ducker thinks it is important enough, and takes the time to make these videos, all managers should make it a high priority to present it. Kind of a big deal.

How can a manager be "on-board" with PSP, on one hand, while on the other hand, sabotaging the very effort. Once they skip it, for whatever reason, it will become easier to skip it again, and again...

I would clock to education and insist on the opportunity to view the August video. In fact all should be able to watch it...

Wonder how many more are not showing it. :scratchhead:

That is disappointing news, especially on the heels of being told that "all in leadership should now be on the same page". Apparently not "all" are on board.

There are some simple principals involved here. 1) The fact that we finally have unfiltered communication from Corporate, and that should remain unfiltered. Any Manager not "on board" to the extent that they don't share the communication, is (in effect) filtering that very communication. 2) If Mike Ducker thinks it is important enough, and takes the time to make these videos, all managers should make it a high priority to present it. Kind of a big deal.

How can a manager be "on-board" with PSP, on one hand, while on the other hand, sabotaging the very effort. Once they skip it, for whatever reason, it will become easier to skip it again, and again...

I would clock to education and insist on the opportunity to view the August video. In fact all should be able to watch it...

Wonder how many more are not showing it. :scratchhead:

Look at this another way.
Your manager has everybody down as watching the company propaganda for 15 minutes each month. But in real life your working what does that do to his numbers ?
He gets a bonus and you get a stale donut left over from a sales meeting.

Your manager has everybody down as watching the company propaganda for 15 minutes each month. But in real life your working what does that do to his numbers ?

Winner winner chicken dinner

The part that I really don't agree with is the tracking who watches it on the intranet. You should be able to use the generic login to view it. Also I hear that the 4 yes centers do not get shown the video.

Yeah, there is potential for a manager to squeeze the numbers. I'm not certain, but I think "education" time falls into another area, not part of any production goals.

I can say that I would NOT want to be the guy (Center Manager) who must explain to Mike Ducker (CEO), why it was deemed unnecessary to present the video. The video your boss took seriously enough to produce... :nono h4h:

The part that I really don't agree with is the tracking who watches it on the intranet. You should be able to use the generic login to view it. Also I hear that the 4 yes centers do not get shown the video.

I agree, but I suspect it is to maintain security. I believe it is also to provide access to those who missed the formal viewing, or in case the DVD is "misplaced". I would expect that a supervisor "could" sign you in.

One solid reason for all locations viewing it around the some time would be to know whether or not you missed it. Another would be to keep managers on board. There would be an expectation of when it would be shown. Also, it would drive the conversation, magnify the buzz, if we all viewed it around the same time. Tough to comment on something you've not yet seen. :idunno:

Considering the slippery slope, of not showing it, I would ask why it was not shown, they ask when it will be shown. There could be a reasonable explanation why someone dropped the ball.

If it happened more than once, there is the FedEx alert line.

As I see it the company (freight division) does not place importance on the video even though it is directed to us. Some meetings we get our badge scanned, some we sign a roster while others are not tracked at all. The video falls into the not tracked column, at least at my center. I would assume the importance level plays into the tracking level because you can see what meeting you were tracked as attending on the intranet. Perhaps we need to elevate the ducker video to the tracked level.