FedEx Freight | CORPORATE communication FEEDBACK

As I see it the company (freight division) does not place importance on the video even though it is directed to us. Some meetings we get our badge scanned, some we sign a roster while others are not tracked at all. The video falls into the not tracked column, at least at my center. I would assume the importance level plays into the tracking level because you can see what meeting you were tracked as attending on the intranet. Perhaps we need to elevate the ducker video to the tracked level.
Absolutely agree on tracking as a way to insure presentation. "Someone" said early on that the difficult for Corporate would be keeping the multitude of managers on board. :idunno:

Sept Video:

Mr. Ducker out on location again, this time at the NTDC in Indianaplois, IN. He looked to be enjoying the event.

The SVP of H/R was the guest. The topics they spoke of were:

Vacation rate increase (effective 1/2017) explained. Also the effect on step progression employees. Step 2 and above get increases, as well as fleet maintainance personel. Merit based (exempt/non-exempt) also getting increases.

Health insurance open enrolement oct 14- nov 3, as well as the health wellness survey.

Coming soon: My FedEx Freight Total Compensation & Benefit platform. Looks like web based access to your total compensation values. Great access to info :1036316054::1036316054:. We'll talk more about this later.

Safety: 3 out of 4 areas are very good. DOT preventables need work.

Moving on:

Mike spoke to 2 NTDC participants. One Veteran, Paul B. Good guy and a strong competitor. Rich M., a rookie/rookie, 1st time state, 1st time National competitor.
(Note: Rich M. went on to WIN Rookie of the year :clapping:)

Mike urged us (?) to complete the Communications Effectiveness Survey before the end of Sept. (I have questions about this, when time allows. I received 2 different explanations, neither make sense)

The rebrand of all op-cos (Orange) was fully explained.

Last edited:
A couple things. One very good, one confusing. Starting with the good...

Coming soon: My FedEx Freight Total Compensation & Benefit platform. Looks like web based access to your total compensation values. Great access to info :1036316054::1036316054:. We'll talk more about this later.

Seems to me, this is basically an online version of information that we once received every year. I think it should be helpful and informative. I certainly wished for this info during several “discussions/debates”, in the past.

This shows that the Company is comfortable enough with the information and how it will compare to the competition, as well as being confident that it will stand up to scrutiny. I respect that. Especially since they didn't have share this info.

Now the confusing:

Mike urged us (?) to complete the Communications Effectiveness Survey before the end of Sept. (I have questions about this, when time allows. I received 2 different explanations, neither make sense)

Having not heard a single word about any such survey, before the video, I asked about it. Not wanting to throw anyone under the bus, let's just say 2 alternate leadership sources offered 2 different explanations.

1st source: That was the Survey we took months ago.
This makes NO SENSE, due to the fact that the employee survey was completed AND the results have already been shared.

2nd source: Oh, that survey is only for managers to take, not for employees.

This might be plausible, but a little strange to mention to the whole class, if it only applies to leadership.

More later... Gotta run

Last edited:
Now the confusing:

Having not heard a single word about any such survey, before the video, I asked about it. Not wanting to throw anyone under the bus, let's just say 2 alternate leadership sources offered 2 different explanations.

1st source: That was the Survey we took months ago.
This makes NO SENSE, due to the fact that the employee survey was completed AND the results have already been shared.

2nd source: Oh, that survey is only for managers to take, not for employees.

This might be plausible, but a little strange to mention to the whole class, if it only applies to leadership.

More later... Gotta run

Now, the rest of the story...

As Mike Ducker said, Everyone is urged to complete the Communications Effectiveness Survey, by the end of Sept. The survey is, as the name implies, meant to find out which types and/or methods of communication are most preferred, most effective, etc.

I think we can agree that what ever method was used to communicate the existence of this survey, was NOT at all effective.

The survey, while not required to be taken, is available to all via the intranet. About midway down the home page, around the center of the page. Worth noting, it requires no sign in, or personal data.

More later, on this little known opportunity to tell corporate what you think.

Now, the rest of the story...

As Mike Ducker said, Everyone is urged to complete the Communications Effectiveness Survey, by the end of Sept. The survey is, as the name implies, meant to find out which types and/or methods of communication are most preferred, most effective, etc.

I think we can agree that what ever method was used to communicate the existence of this survey, was NOT at all effective.

The survey, while not required to be taken, is available to all via the intranet. About midway down the home page, around the center of the page. Worth noting, it requires no sign in, or personal data.

More later, on this little known opportunity to tell corporate what you think.

I remember years ago when they were doing these surveys and I thought it was a big joke because nothing really got done. Do you think now since Drucker took over things might change on these surveys?

I remember years ago when they were doing these surveys and I thought it was a big joke because nothing really got done. Do you think now since Drucker took over things might change on these surveys?
This one seems more specific and focused on preferred and effective communications methods. Not the same as the employee poll/survey that comes every year.

As far as change since Ducker took over? Absolutely, without question. Not only are they asking the questions, they seem to be listening to the answers.

Anytime Corporate opens the door, by asking the question(s), it seems foolish to not speak up. You have the floor, why waste it?

Last edited:
@ Our center this Morning some drivers were talking about it. Some how our Center Manager had us all locked out of the computers for the past two weeks. His reply has been in that time he doesn't know whats wrong. The best part is he never showed the September Video so none of us had any idea about it. But thanks to the Boards we now know. We made such a noise one of the office girls came out and got one of them to work. When he finally figured out what was up Napoleon was beside himself came into the drivers room and wouldn't leave. He stood right behind the driver @ the computers ringtone to intimidate him. Sorry boss man were all taking it now thanks again Boards.

Standing over me would get you the lowest scores or worst review possible. It would also have landed his name in a comment box if there was one. I attempted to take it and the intranet was down so I will try again today. Is it not ironic how a communication survey is just the opposite?

One of the questions on the survey should have been how did you hear about this survey. I guess Mr Ducker assumes that everyone sees the vidios.

Also he starts out always calling us team, but most people I talk to feel as if we are actually treated like the equipment, what we have to say goes in one ear and out the other.

I do think some things have gotten better, but it also seems as if things are starting to go back to the same old way of doing things, what we as employees think or say just doesn't really matter.

One of the questions on the survey should have been how did you hear about this survey. I guess Mr Ducker assumes that everyone sees the vidios.

Also he starts out always calling us team, but most people I talk to feel as if we are actually treated like the equipment, what we have to say goes in one ear and out the other.

I do think some things have gotten better, but it also seems as if things are starting to go back to the same old way of doing things, what we as employees think or say just doesn't really matter.

I do know that there are a lot of drivers who are not given the opportunity to see the videos, much less encouraged to take a survey that could highlight the challenges faced by Corporate. These challenges were predicted a while back. The tough part will be getting and keeping managers throughout the chain on board.

A couple solutions?

If a driver or three would call the fedex alert line (even anonymously) and say "hey, I'm from center XYZ and I'm not getting a chance to see the videos, but I read about them on truckingboards, I suspect that situation would change.

Also, they could associate a number and or goal with participation. Then, it might seem important enough to follow the direction of Mr. Ducker.

Being smarter than the average bear, these managers are showing a total lack of respect for both the target audience, and Mike Ducker himself, IMHO. Shameful...

Oct Video:

Came out a little late. We watched it on the 26th.

Going forward, just going to mention the topics covered. Details available upon request, but everyone SHOULD have a chance to clock to education and watch it.

Mike was on location at the SuperTech competition in Raleigh, NC.

*Open enrollment (insurance) through Nov 8 and encouraged taking the wellness survey for your $100 each, for you and your spouse/partner.

*Welcomed some new members to the leadership team.

*Being at SuperTech, he spoke to Mike Hoffman, VP Equip. Maint. on the topics of Technology and the positive effects on efficiency, environmental gains, emergence of natural gas, as well as "telematics", ELD, and video capture.

*All road units are to have all of the safety components (technologies) by the end of FY18.

*Spoke to a competitor in the SuperTech event about the challenges of the competition, as well as the real benefits/knowledge that come with participation.

*Eric Voss, (multiple) Grand Champion of the event was featured in a video,

*Don Brown, shared the financials from 1st quarter FY17.

*Earnings, segment gains, margins (the good), as well as the challenges (revenue per, weight per, etc.). Rate increases in Jan. Again, details upon request.

*Overall we were strong, compared to, and considering the market.

*Jeff Greer (SVP H/R) spoke about a couple things. His happiness with the feedback received as well as the current trend in the AIC (bonus) numbers. Worth noting the targets remain unchanged for FY17

3bAWUND.jpg

*Also, J. Greer will be covering these topics in the future, as Don Brown will be "transitioning" his replacement due to his impending retirement in July. So, keep an eye out for THAT open position to be posted, if you are interested. Just kidding, they did not mention any such upcoming posting...

The end was a reminder of the PSP philosophy, Safety 1st and a list of the the FedEx competitors in SuperTech and their final ranking. 9 guys finishing from 1st to 18th.

No feedback email listed this time :idunno:, but if you want it, I have it.