FedEx Freight | CORPORATE communication FEEDBACK

Weird, then I did not miss it yet. With the 300 million step challenge kicking off tomorrow one would have thought at least a pep talk to kick it off.

Weird, then I did not miss it yet. With the 300 million step challenge kicking off tomorrow one would have thought at least a pep talk to kick it off.

The 300 Million Steps Challenge has begun!

https://choosewell.van.fedex.com/

'The 300 Million Steps Challenge is underway! The 300 Million Steps Challenge is brought to you by the Healthways Well-Being Program offered by FedEx. The challenge runs through March 31, 2017. Haven’t joined the challenge? Join the challenge today!

The goal of the 300 Million Steps Challenge is for at least 5,000 team members to collectively reach 300 million steps by the end of the challenge. And FedEx Cares will donate up to $50,000 to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) if the goal of 5,000 participants is met. RTC is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors to build healthier places for healthier people.'

"If you don’t have access to a personal tracking device, pedometer or mobile app, you can convert other activities into steps by using the activities conversion chart. Click here to access the chart. "

As a participant of the challenge I think they have underestimated how much we walk in a day. After day one Freight is in 4th place with 5 million steps. I say we will hit the goal by the halfway mark. The interface needs some work. Maybe next time they will improve it. Syncing problems seem to have been fixed.

I will look for it and participate. Not sure how much corporate is listening anymore. We were told last year from one survey that any issues we brought up on the last 2 questions would be discussed with all of the drivers locally. Still waiting for my questions/ideas or any others to be discussed.

March Video

The topic of the employee survey was discussed. Opportunity to participate 3/6-3/19. 28 questions, 3 open ended questions, allowing more personalized response. Hoping to continue high participation. Last year was 94%.

Touring 6 centers in Baltimore region. Spoke on location at N.Harrisburg, PA, 2nd largest in system. Second only to Chicago Heights.

John Smith spoke on accountability, in terms of Safety and taking care of customer's freight. Improvements shown in lost time accidents (19%), Claims filed (13%), Claims paid (12%), and preventable accidents (1%).

B. Poland RVP operations spoke on improvements specific to the region.

C Meyers CCM of the 241 door center spoke as well, and mentioned their qualifying for a 3rd cookout.

SVP of H/R J. Greer announced the now available, and long anticipated, Total Compensation and Benefits website. The site, freighttotalcomp.fedex.com provides access to the value of your personal/specific compensation/benefits, and is accessible from home. Said to provide a wealth of info worth combing through.

As always, don't rely on me, see the video for yourself...
That's it till next month...

Also had pre-shift on the topic of the Total Compensation Website, as well as the new food shipment policy. The food shipment policy addresses packaging, which must be at an FDA approved level, and begins 4/3/2017, more details said to be coming soon.

Last edited:
March Video

The topic of the employee survey was discussed. Opportunity to participate 3/6-3/19. 28 questions, 3 open ended questions, allowing more personalized response. Hoping to continue high participation. Last year was 94%.

Touring 6 centers in Baltimore region. Spoke on location at N.Harrisburg, PA, 2nd largest in system. Second only to Chicago Heights.

John Smith spoke on accountability, in terms of Safety and taking care of customer's freight. Improvements shown in lost time accidents (19%), Claims filed (13%), Claims paid (12%), and preventable accidents (1%).

B. Poland RVP operations spoke on improvements specific to the region.

C Meyers CCM of the 241 door center spoke as well, and mentioned their qualifying for a 3rd cookout.

SVP of H/R J. Greer announced the now available, and long anticipated, Total Compensation and Benefits website. The site, freighttotalcomp.fedex.com provides access to the value of your personal/specific compensation/benefits, and is accessible from home. Said to provide a wealth of info worth combing through.

As always, don't rely on me, see the video for yourself...
That's it till next month...

Also had pre-shift on the topic of the Total Compensation Website, as well as the new food shipment policy. The food shipment policy addresses packaging, which must be at an FDA approved level, and begins 4/3/2017, more details said to be coming soon.
Thx for the info/address referring to the new website...although most of the info I was already aware of, I can see where a lot of employees will benefit from this site due to the amount of questions I routinely field.

April video (overview)

Mike discussed:

Performance-record service levels.
PSP- Benefits of assuming positive intent.

Sean Healy:

On location in Monterrey, MX- praised growth, outstanding .01 claims ratio.

MIke Hoffman:

Spec review (next one, Harrisburg, PA 4-25-2017). Mentioned upgraded torque specs on 3,000 units.
Top Wrench competition- April 10. (?)

Claude Russ:

Reviewed Q-3 numbers
Encouraged all to visit ir.fedex.com (investor relations)
Praised claims reductions

April video (overview)

Mike discussed:

Performance-record service levels.
PSP- Benefits of assuming positive intent.

Sean Healy:

On location in Monterrey, MX- praised growth, outstanding .01 claims ratio.

MIke Hoffman:

Spec review (next one, Harrisburg, PA 4-25-2017). Mentioned upgraded torque specs on 3,000 units.
Top Wrench competition- April 10. (?)

Claude Russ:

Reviewed Q-3 numbers
Encouraged all to visit ir.fedex.com (investor relations)
Praised claims reductions

What do you think about the premise of assuming positive intent? Hard to do in today's conspiracy driven environment, but actually I think it is a very important factor in relationships that drive who we are and what we do. Does a city driver really ever assume his dispatcher has a positive intent?

Of course, if that concept were to take full effect, truvkingboards might get pretty darn boring.....

What do you think about the premise of assuming positive intent? Hard to do in today's conspiracy driven environment, but actually I think it is a very important factor in relationships that drive who we are and what we do. Does a city driver really ever assume his dispatcher has a positive intent?

Of course, if that concept were to take full effect, truvkingboards might get pretty darn boring.....

Why do I get the fun (and provocative) questions? :poke:

I think the topic of assuming positive intent is a valid, valuable, and worthy of the effort. I do think is takes some effort for most of us to implement. For some, Mike Ducker is a prime example, it seems to come natural.

The benefits, I think, apply to more than just the work environment. But since we spend a high percentage of our waking hours at work, we'll focus on the benefit at work. Again, we're talking about the work environment, where suspicion and scrutiny of motives have little or no actual benefit.

The reduction in stress alone, makes it worth the effort. The difference between a pleasant day and a day of irritation can be determined by how we look at each chain of events. We often have little control of the events around us, but we have a great deal of control in how we perceive them.

Not to be confused with blindly following, or eliminating critical thinking, having a default position that intent is positive, can serve us well. It encourages collaboration and willingness (comfort) in offering/accepting suggestions, advice, etc.

I'm certainly more productive and willing to apply a higher effort when given the benefit of positive assumption. :woohoo1:

If we look at those who are most successful (and happy) at what they do, we will see (almost without fail) people (and companies) who assume the positive, rather than the negative. We could also cite the results of those with the opposite traits.

A pretty smart guy once advised me, rather than second guess true intentions, take people at face value until/unless they give clear reason not to. That has proven to be wise, eliminating wasted time, stress, and analysis. Be aware, but expect positive and honest intent. It may take some effort, but makes a difference, all day, everyday.

As to your final question? Assumption of positive intent is generally easiest to give, in equal measure to which it is received. Most challenging, when not.

:smilie93c peelout:

Why do I get the fun (and provocative) questions? :poke:

I think the topic of assuming positive intent is a valid, valuable, and worthy of the effort. I do think is takes some effort for most of us to implement. For some, Mike Ducker is a prime example, it seems to come natural.

The benefits, I think, apply to more than just the work environment. But since we spend a high percentage of our waking hours at work, we'll focus on the benefit at work. Again, we're talking about the work environment, where suspicion and scrutiny of motives have little or no actual benefit.

The reduction in stress alone, makes it worth the effort. The difference between a pleasant day and a day of irritation can be determined by how we look at each chain of events. We often have little control of the events around us, but we have a great deal of control in how we perceive them.

Not to be confused with blindly following, or eliminating critical thinking, having a default position that intent is positive, can serve us well. It encourages collaboration and willingness (comfort) in offering/accepting suggestions, advice, etc.

I'm certainly more productive and willing to apply a higher effort when given the benefit of positive assumption. :woohoo1:

If we look at those who are most successful (and happy) at what they do, we will see (almost without fail) people (and companies) who assume the positive, rather than the negative. We could also cite the results of those with the opposite traits.

A pretty smart guy once advised me, rather than second guess true intentions, take people at face value until/unless they give clear reason not to. That has proven to be wise, eliminating wasted time, stress, and analysis. Be aware, but expect positive and honest intent. It may take some effort, but makes a difference, all day, everyday.

As to your final question? Assumption of positive intent is generally easiest to give, in equal measure to which it is received. Most challenging, when not.

:smilie93c peelout:

I cant speak for anyone else, but I would ask you that kind of question because I am confident that I would get a well-thought out, reasoned, and honest response; which I greatly appreciate whether I agree with your premise or not. As always, you did not disappoint with your reply.

In this case we view things in a very similar light. I believe that a lot of "benefit of the doubt" was lost at one point, for a lot of various reasons that may or may not have been within any parties control. From what I have seen over the past couple of years, that credibility should be returning.......but it is always slower to return than it is to lose in the first place.....

I like your thoughts about reduction of stress being a big part........my thoughts are that if we took all the mental and even physical energy spent questioning others motives and applied it to solving more relevant problems, we would ALL be much better at what we do.....

I yield the floor......stay safe....

I cant speak for anyone else, but I would ask you that kind of question because I am confident that I would get a well-thought out, reasoned, and honest response; which I greatly appreciate whether I agree with your premise or not. As always, you did not disappoint with your reply.

In this case we view things in a very similar light. I believe that a lot of "benefit of the doubt" was lost at one point, for a lot of various reasons that may or may not have been within any parties control. From what I have seen over the past couple of years, that credibility should be returning.......but it is always slower to return than it is to lose in the first place.....

I like your thoughts about reduction of stress being a big part........my thoughts are that if we took all the mental and even physical energy spent questioning others motives and applied it to solving more relevant problems, we would ALL be much better at what we do.....

I yield the floor......stay safe....
Thanks AF.

Assumption is much like expectation, in terms of the state of mind it puts you in. Not to get too deep into it, but if you expect a positive (or negative) result, you will be more likely to achieve it.

Last edited:
A pretty smart guy once advised me, rather than second guess true intentions, take people at face value until/unless they give clear reason not to.
A wise man once said that your first impression is not always the correct perspective, sometimes we need to look again.

May Video:

Mike seemed to delegate much of this months video to Jeff Greer (HR) and Brian Poland (RVP). This, I would presume, due to his recent series of speaking events and lobbying efforts. Seem to recall Mike spoke everywhere from the Senate, to White House meetings with President Trump, as well as the usual industry forums.

Mike did touch on thought habits and their effect on results, as well as our current strength heading into FY 2018.

Poland was on location in Boston, and attending executive leadership meeting.

Greer mentioned survey participation/results. Up across the board.

New e-interview process mentioned briefly.Going forward... Operation strength, Freight 2020 in development, and Finance working to improve margin,all touched on very briefly.

Finally encouraged all to follow Mike on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/duckermichael/

As always: Feedback, suggestions, etc. requested: fxfmedia (at) fedex (dot) com

June video:

So, has everyone had a chance see the June video? It's out there...

Some interesting topics covered. Improvements in Q-4, addition of QDM "experts & coaches", various competitions, 4k have attended the PSP unfreezing events, 35k front line personnel to be more fully introduced to PSP, as well as the focus going forward.

Anyone want to offer an explanation of the new (to me) terms mentioned? "Purple Chips" and "White Chips".