FedEx Freight | Date for Cinnanimson election

Let me grab this one. I frequently talk to a YRC guy in my area. He won't be around to debate this after June of next year because while all of us FXF guys are still working, he will collecting roughly 3,200 a month sitting on a beach. In the meantime, he pays ZERO for health benefits, I pay 320 a month now with a newly added MIDDLE FINGER from FXF that penalizes anybody that has the same person treated a third time in the emergency room, cough up an extra $500 on top of the 30% I have to pay for all the bills. YRC pays hardly anything for a hospital visit. Yes they took a 15% pay cut, VOTED on and AGREED to by the drivers to help save the company that had bad management and bad luck with debt purchasing around the time the economy crapped one. The union does not run the company, the management runs the company. They have a pension that was reduced at YRC, but still destroys our glorified savings account. Been told they are making about $21.50 an hour. I make $24.93 an hour. When you take out 80 a week for medical versus 0, that's 2 bucks an hour. So now I technically make $22.93 an hour. I have piles of medical bills for hospital visits, dental visits, prescriptions that cost $70 for my wife. That all comes out of my check, at YRC it is nowhere near that. Also, I can fired on a whim because I am "at will". YRC drivers have a sense of job security. So everybody do me a favor. When you hear these guys CONSTANTLY bring up YRC to undermine the union, remember to bring up UPS to them immediately. They are at $33 an hour and by the end of their current contract will be close to $37 an hour. Tremendous benefits, and they don't pay a dime for them. AND a pension. So everytime they say YRC, you say UPS.

Very Well Put :smiliewhs:

In every forum i read its says somewwhere, "Get your facts straight." And i realize that everyone has an opinion, as long as it is pro - union. But you need to get the facts straight as to why FEDEX doesn't want a union. But to understand this. you need to know why FEDEX Freight is the biggest most profitable LTL carrier in the world. It is the CUSTOMER, thats right the CUSTOMER. And i am sure that you will all dis-agree with this next statement, becaiuse you just don't know the facts. The majority of businesses that use LTL carriers do not want to use a Union carrier. By using a Union carrier, the customer is not able to get the flexibility they need or want to service their CUSTOMERS. And there is always the uncertainty of contract negotioans and strikes. I know i said the nasty "S" word. But that is how the US Customer base thinks. And until you have worked at both a union and non-union carrier as a driver and also in leadership you will not fully understand what this means. Customers will jump ship to a non-union carrier and that is how they will lose money. I am sure there will be some bashing as to how this is BS. But this is a fact and you can't sell FEDEX you your CUSTOMERS if the CUSTOMERS are shipping with someone else.

That's a good post there. But working in this business for over 20 yrs when we were Watkins and YRC and Roadway went on strike we were working day and night. Had freight up the ass went home for 3hrs and then comeback to work and as soon as the strike was over the customer's went back now of day's the customer is about who can move their freight for less. next time your on a delivery ask your customer why are they shipping with that other carrier and i guarantee you they're going to say because they're cheaper its about saving money and discounts.

Last point 1st.I can say it's very doubtful (nearly impossible), we'll loose anything. This is a different market. A market that values the skills we bring to the table. Skills that are in short supply. We should be able to negotiate from a position of strength. Not unlike buying a car. if there is a lot full (of the one you want/need) unsold, you can get em cheap (if you negotiate), when there are very few available, you'll pay more... You see, it's not a static number of give/take. It's also supply and demand. And treatment (perks) and rules (warranty) enter into the negotiation. Wild concept huh?

On the other point, your premise is wrong. the actual truth is, before FedEx bought AF, We were the highest paid non-union ltl company. We also worked under a set of business principals, that worked very well. FedEx reduced the rate of growth in our compensation, while also stripping away the very business principals of the company that I/we hired on to. The only one I see they still abide by is #5. So NO, We didn't exactly sign on for this...

"What principals?" you might ask... These:

1. Take care of our people.
2. Take care of our customers.
3. Honor our commitments.
4. Work hard, smart, and safely—and
work together.
5. Make the most of resources.
6. Have fun
Man I hope your at the bargaining table and not some of these other guys here i like that !!

So how does your opinion mean anything on the fedex forum you don't even work here and you come on here spewing garbage trying to get a rise out of someone. So tell me how it's going to work then since you have a .50 crystal ball I work for fedex I know how they are.

Says the guy speculating we stand to lose in negotiation. You guys make me laugh and I thank you for that, it helps keep me young.

Have you even read the NLRB guidelines of negotiation?

Or we can have my buddy from Verizon debate the union with you while dangling his check in front of you. $38.65 an hour right now. You think they make that because Verizon loves its employees? No, that is the UNION that got them that wage. Otherwise they would be making chump change like most of the Comcast guys make. We are not going backwards, we are not starting from zero in negotiations. Ever try to buy a car starting at zero? You start at the sticker price. You say low, dealer says high. Back and forth, a NEGOTIATION. Not backing FXF into a corner, not letting them steamroll us anymore. A fair and balanced AGREEMENT between Employees and Employer. A CONTRACT. Something in writing that is black and white. Not promises and sudden changes that can easily be brought back as soon as the threat of unionization goes away.

Let me grab this one. I frequently talk to a YRC guy in my area. He won't be around to debate this after June of next year because while all of us FXF guys are still working, he will collecting roughly 3,200 a month sitting on a beach. In the meantime, he pays ZERO for health benefits, I pay 320 a month now with a newly added MIDDLE FINGER from FXF that penalizes anybody that has the same person treated a third time in the emergency room, cough up an extra $500 on top of the 30% I have to pay for all the bills. YRC pays hardly anything for a hospital visit. Yes they took a 15% pay cut, VOTED on and AGREED to by the drivers to help save the company that had bad management and bad luck with debt purchasing around the time the economy crapped one. The union does not run the company, the management runs the company. They have a pension that was reduced at YRC, but still destroys our glorified savings account. Been told they are making about $21.50 an hour. I make $24.93 an hour. When you take out 80 a week for medical versus 0, that's 2 bucks an hour. So now I technically make $22.93 an hour. I have piles of medical bills for hospital visits, dental visits, prescriptions that cost $70 for my wife. That all comes out of my check, at YRC it is nowhere near that. Also, I can fired on a whim because I am "at will". YRC drivers have a sense of job security. So everybody do me a favor. When you hear these guys CONSTANTLY bring up YRC to undermine the union, remember to bring up UPS to them immediately. They are at $33 an hour and by the end of their current contract will be close to $37 an hour. Tremendous benefits, and they don't pay a dime for them. AND a pension. So everytime they say YRC, you say UPS.

Very well stated. Thank you driver.

Last point 1st.I can say it's very doubtful (nearly impossible), we'll loose anything. This is a different market. A market that values the skills we bring to the table. Skills that are in short supply. We should be able to negotiate from a position of strength. Not unlike buying a car. if there is a lot full (of the one you want/need) unsold, you can get em cheap (if you negotiate), when there are very few available, you'll pay more... You see, it's not a static number of give/take. It's also supply and demand. And treatment (perks) and rules (warranty) enter into the negotiation. Wild concept huh?

On the other point, your premise is wrong. the actual truth is, before FedEx bought AF, We were the highest paid non-union ltl company. We also worked under a set of business principals, that worked very well. FedEx reduced the rate of growth in our compensation, while also stripping away the very business principals of the company that I/we hired on to. The only one I see they still abide by is #5. So NO, We didn't exactly sign on for this...

work together.
6. Have fun

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Kudos.

The simple fact is if we were going to get less from the company they would be telling us to vote yes.
1st quarter profit 606,000,000.00. FedEx can give us better healthcare!

Says the guy speculating we stand to lose in negotiation. You guys make me laugh and I thank you for that, it helps keep me young.

Have you even read the NLRB guidelines of negotiation?

Please explain to me what they are?????? This should be good reading. The only thing tht needs to be done is BARGAIN IN GOOD FAITH. The union have to give in to anything. Negotiations could take years. Is anyone willing to work withl out a contract for that long. Asked this once before and i never received a response.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and actually correct some of the anti-union folks who have posted so-called facts here.

Say what you will about the union. Maybe you don't like the idea of going union and that's fine. But honestly? It's very, exceptionally rare for a customer to care if a carrier is union. They do not abandon union carriers because of the union. In fact, I happen to know that YRC is so busy right now they don't know what to do with all the work. Holland is actually asking Speedy to drive further south than Romulus at least once a week. YRCF and Reimer are so busy they're using a terminal in Whitby, ON that they walked away from years ago (they're still leasing it to Moe's Transport, owned by Verspeeten Cartage) after losing GM's LTL.

The only case I've ever heard of a carrier being rejected due to the union is from non-union auto manufacturers like Toyota. It's far from common and virtually non-existent in the LTL sector. By all means, be against the union. But at least make sure you deal in facts if you're going to argue. You make everyone else who opposes the union look like an uneducated fool.

Please explain to me what they are?????? This should be good reading. The only thing tht needs to be done is BARGAIN IN GOOD FAITH. The union have to give in to anything. Negotiations could take years. Is anyone willing to work withl out a contract for that long. Asked this once before and i never received a response.

Kind of an open ended question there A. Years? We' don't have one now and we still work. What makes you think that the centers, who will be voting soon, will wait for the rest of the country to step up? Is it possible they may have a contract long before those that have yet to get something going? What do think about that possibility? They've already got a quite powerful voting block with many more to come. Chin up, Man! It's going to work out fine.

work together.
6. Have fun

rip mr. garrison if he was still here and owned this company none of this union talk would be going on. but unfortunitly he isn't now its not about us or the customers its all about shareholders and company big wigs. now its time to bring his dream back and honor these 6 principals and the only way we are going to do that is with the teamsters support. united we stand divided we fall and I will preach to the end we don't fall.

rip mr. garrison if he was still here and owned this company none of this union talk would be going on. but unfortunitly he isn't now its not about us or the customers its all about shareholders and company big wigs. now its time to bring his dream back and honor these 6 principals and the only way we are going to do that is with the teamsters support. united we stand divided we fall and I will preach to the end we don't fall.

I thought there were some organizing attempts when you were AF, why did that happen.

I thought there were some organizing attempts when you were AF, why did that happen.

I honestly don't know. I was against the union for AF. REALLY, REALLY against it. The effort was in Chicago, and I think they got more money and many managers were fired. Others, who actually went through it have posted details, fairly recently. If i can find it I'll post a link. Maybe tomorrow. It was pretty interesting.

It may have been in the "if I sign a card I'm fired fired" thread... Again, not sure. Maybe someone with direct knowelage will post the answer to your question. I'm curious too.

The simple fact is if we were going to get less from the company they would be telling us to vote yes.
1st quarter profit 606,000,000.00. FedEx can give us better healthcare!

Fed Ex Freight had a 1st quarter profit or FedEx corporation. FedEx Freight might be the largest LTL but it's only a relatively small component of FedEx corporation. Are you saying that FedEx Freight had a profit of $606million