FedEx Freight | Dock worker/ Hostler rules

Just a couple of questions, when I worked in LTL ,dock guys all had to have the same as a driver (i,e, no dock only work unless he was grandfathered in) . Also don't you have speed limits in your yards? 15 max in ours so if he hit it hard enough to move it 9 feet I would guess a little more than 15, But on the other hand I have seen some just hammer down all the way around the dock and drop lot. And you all know when something like this happens word is going to get out about it and if there was a problem with the equipment or not. Just my 2 cents "nuff said just a trolling

Just a couple of questions, when I worked in LTL ,dock guys all had to have the same as a driver (i,e, no dock only work unless he was grandfathered in) . Also don't you have speed limits in your yards? 15 max in ours so if he hit it hard enough to move it 9 feet I would guess a little more than 15, But on the other hand I have seen some just hammer down all the way around the dock and drop lot. And you all know when something like this happens word is going to get out about it and if there was a problem with the equipment or not. Just my 2 cents "nuff said just a trolling

The speed limit is 10 mph on our yards. He was wide open, had to be to do the damage he did.

The speed limit is 10 mph on our yards. He was wide open, had to be to do the damage he did.
Probably hit the gas instead of break. I would imagine he got a write up for a preventable accident. Do you automatically get a drug test for a preventable accident?

When I was a hostler I was not a driver, although I never crashed. We had one mule hit an L-truck head on and they fired the hostler then.

roog

I think a head on collision or flipping a trailer in the yard is automatic firing.

So we have a dock worker who is certified to run hostler, well about a week ago he ran into a 48 which was in our in yard, and totaled the hostler. He hit the 48 so hard it almost moved it into a new parking space (9 feet to be exact). Did extensive damage to trailer also. They didn't even make him take a drug test, and if he got disciplined it was only a write up. Do they have a different set of rules for these folks?

Actually a pretty good question CT. Non-CDL holders are not as regulated as CDL holders, but that really wouldn't be the reason there was no post accident drug screen. Drug/alcohol tests are only required after DOT reportable accidents. Since a yard accident isn't regulated by the DOT, one would not be REQUIRED, even for a CDL holder. One could be done under reasonable suspicion, but one better have more to go on than just the accident itself to back up the suspicion......

Actually a pretty good question CT. Non-CDL holders are not as regulated as CDL holders, but that really wouldn't be the reason there was no post accident drug screen. Drug/alcohol tests are only required after DOT reportable accidents. Since a yard accident isn't regulated by the DOT, one would not be REQUIRED, even for a CDL holder. One could be done under reasonable suspicion, but one better have more to go on than just the accident itself to back up the suspicion......

Thank you for clearing that up. Seems to me like that is a flawed system when one person does major damage. Scary scenario when you think about what could happen.

Last edited:
Per FMCSA:

Post accident testing is REQUIRED following any accident resulting in a fatality.

Testing is REQUIRED if driver is in an accident (as defined by FMCSA), AND receives a citation in connection with the accident.

FMCSA definition of a recordable accident:
1) A fatality
2) Injury treated away from the scene
3) One or more vehicles towed from the scene due to damage

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/390.5

Edit: Worth noting, as pointed out by JohnDeere4020- the above applies to "a commercial motor vehicle operating on a highway in interstate or intrastate commerce"

Last edited:
Per FMCSA:

Post accident testing is REQUIRED following any accident resulting in a fatality.

Testing is REQUIRED if driver is in an accident (as defined by FMCSA), AND receives a citation in connection with the accident.

FMCSA definition of a recordable accident:
1) A fatality
2) Injury treated away from the scene
3) One or more vehicles towed from the scene due to damage

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/390.5

Doesn't apply to a vehicle operated on private property. I surprised a drug test wasn't ordered based on value, our policy is over $500 it's a drug test or reasonable suspicion.