FedEx Freight | FedEx Accident in CCI

Ohio State Police And Fedex Crash

Since no one else has mentioned it I will. The cop must be an idiot. HE STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LEFT LANE. You want to know who is responsible for the accident look at the person blocking the lane when the shoulder is wide enough to park on,(look at the room the car against the Jersey wall).

I had a cop do this same thing to me just the other day in a snow storm. He stopped on the inside hammer lane on a coroner on a hill. He was working an accident in the comedian. The angle i saw him i couldn't see what lane he was in till i was on top of him. The cop and I got Lucky i got over to the slow lane and kept it together in time. The car in the comedian was out of the way just the cop was in the way.

Many years ago I was bob tailing back to my terminal here in Rochester NY I was about 3 miles out,it was a nice warm summer day.
It just started raining.
I came up on a quick red Light I hit the brakes.
I wasn't going over 30 mph.
I had a ford twinscrew.
Well I took a ride I couldn't believe I spun 2 complete turns around,and came to rest just under the signal light facing the street to my right.
It was a long time ago back in the 1970's time frame,but when I see slippery conditions such as was in this accident.
I always think back to just a tap of the brakes on a slippery road can take you by surprise.
I'm very happy there wasn't any vehicals around me at the time.
Now I think twice about using my brakes,down shiffiting is better.

AP just like in our training you increase your following distance. Get a good {EYE LEAD TIME} 10-4:hide:

What the hey, being as everyone else has thrown their nickel in I'll give my 2 cents.

From what they're saying they had not seen any icey roads,..... til then.

From the video, (the full length) after the smokey got turned around he appeared to be in the center lane, the few vehicles that made it past him looked to be by themselves (i.e. no one next to them).
After which a cluster came along which included the FXF driver, not being there and not able to see what happened till he slams the cop car we don't know if he was forced to stand on the brakes or run someone else over that maybe cut in or along side at the last minute not giving him much choice.
Apparently the officer at the scene saw enough not to charge the driver, that in itself should account for something, if he thought he was traveling to fast for conditions I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have sent him on his way.

The downside is the news loves playing these things up, I watched the edited version in Jamaica, yep that's right. All you see is a big FEDEX coming at the screen.

The upside....... everyone survived.

FM
Well familyman the other downside is all the stupid comments from other driver's on the road! thursday and friday heard more than my share of bad comment's from other driver's; such as, fedex think's they own the road, are driver's are not properly trained, we hire anyone, one driver down by the michigan ohio border on I 75 threatened 2 of our driver's on channel 19. of course people say that kind of stuff all the time on 19, but our driver's did not even engage this guy, he heard fedex and just went off like a drunken sailor, oh well! guess we will just have to listen to other driver's talk about what superstars they are and how bad fedex drivers suck....:chairshot:

Yeh but, we're just a buncha stupid freight haulers anyway. That's what I get. It don't matter. Fedex, USF, UPS, Yellow, Roadway, etc. we are the low lifes of the road because we're home every other day and still make $85k a year. So comments like that about Fedex and that accedent dosn't supprise me.

So, let me get this staight. You protect the scene by parking in the the flow of traffic and cause another accident that involves the original accident when you can protect the first accident just as well or better by parking on the shoulder with the cruiser at an angle. Well it now makes sense to me and all the police officers I have talked to who have seen the video. Thank you for educating all those proffesionals.
I know that earlier I promised to "bite my tongue"; been to court and really understand "assumed facts not in evidence" (hence think I'll still qualify for Haz-Mat (that is I was never convicted)). Pigs? "ever cop is a criminal"? I don't care to restudy the video - counting the number of combination rigs that passed the accident site in a "slower lane" at a slower speed (pay attention to the timer on screen).

Don't get me wrong I'm glad the driver beat the rap. I have no experience as a CMV driver but but from 69-70 to 84 I lived (at a confused period of life living on two-wheels and I do mean a pup-tent on a sissy bar) stop lying to yourself.

Sorry, if I've offended someone here.

Well familyman the other downside is all the stupid comments from other driver's on the road! thursday and friday heard more than my share of bad comment's from other driver's; such as, fedex think's they own the road, are driver's are not properly trained, we hire anyone, one driver down by the michigan ohio border on I 75 threatened 2 of our driver's on channel 19. of course people say that kind of stuff all the time on 19, but our driver's did not even engage this guy, he heard fedex and just went off like a drunken sailor, oh well! guess we will just have to listen to other driver's talk about what superstars they are and how bad fedex drivers suck....:chairshot:

Actually most drivers I talk to are pretty decent, you'll always find a butt out there every now and again, just wish him a nice day and move on.

The bigger a co gets no matter long haul or ltl the more someone out there won't like them, like JB, Schnieder, Werner etc, These co's have lots of drivers with years of experience but they are all the butt of jokes, comes with the territory I guess.

FM

Daddy ooo's said:
...comments from other driver's on the road! ... heard more than my share of bad comment's from other driver's; ...fedex think's they own the road,.... driver's are not properly trained, we hire anyone..... on channel 19. ........ oh well! guess we will just have to listen to other driver's talk

We get that all the time at the big " R"
Slow trucks give some drivers a bad attitude.
I mean other drivers, not ours...yeah right.
It's all just c.b. talk, mark it down to their inexperience.
Been on the road 6 months and they know it all.
:funky:

It is a shame ALL cops and state troopers can't go through CHP training. California CHP is so much more profesional when it comes to covering accidents and blocking off traffic lanes, compared to other states.
:funky:

Tell us how THEY would have handled it please.

Far as I am concerned that cop might of been a hero. Blocking the car with his and hurring over to see if the person was ok.
Then getting them out of arms way.

As far as the FedEx driver we all can sit here at our computer and judge him. But I think in that situation with the camera it is probably going to look a lot faster then maybe he was going I don't know.

But the way that back trailer was coming around I think the brakes was hit a little to hard at some point. But unless any of us was in that truck and looking at his responses I'm not going to be quite so critical.

But it does seem to me he should of been a little more aware of the weather conditions and traffic volume. But like I said it's easy to judge now.:hide:

Good point Skeeter,,, how many times do WE belive its safer to run with the traffic... Alot of times,,,, its more dangerous to drive slower than the main flow of traffic.....

Far as I am concerned that cop might of been a hero. Blocking the car with his and hurring over to see if the person was ok.
Then getting them out of arms way.

As far as the FedEx driver we all can sit here at our computer and judge him. But I think in that situation with the camera it is probably going to look a lot faster then maybe he was going I don't know.

But the way that back trailer was coming around I think the brakes was hit a little to hard at some point. But unless any of us was in that truck and looking at his responses I'm not going to be quite so critical.

But it does seem to me he should of been a little more aware of the weather conditions and traffic volume. But like I said it's easy to judge now.:hide:

Since I was not there, I would not attempt to judge one way or another, but I WOULD say the preceived speed of travel is irrelevant in this case, as it appears the "impact" occured at the bottom of an incline.

Myself being a driver who has lost total control of any kind with a set of doubles on ice, I see it being very possible that the truck was moving FASTER at the point of impact than it was traveling at the time the driver lost control.

when you can protect the first accident just as well or better by parking on the shoulder with the cruiser at an angle. Well it now makes sense to me and all the police officers I have talked to who have seen the video. Thank you for educating all those proffesionals.
you see countless accidents from parking on the shoulder...Link to shoulder crash involving fedex thats not even safe now,thats why states are making it law to move over for emergency vehicles....did you notice in that video the idiots that didn't move over and could have!!!!!! Anyways the moral of the story no place is safe...

Tell us how THEY would have handled it please

:chairshot:
The reason the FedEx Freight driver did not get a citation is because the CITY cop car is what caused the FedEx Freight truck to lose control of his rig. The CITY cop had no business stopping in the middle of the number one lane of a three lane Interstate freeway. A California CHP would have stopped his patrol car in the left shoulder next to the Jersey wall, with his rear yellow blinking lights telling oncoming traffic to move to the right. When the city cop car got hit and spun around the first time it got moved from the number one lane to the number two lane. At that time the cop car was in the middle of the freeway facing the wrong way, and oncoming traffic had to think that it was a drunk coming at them the wrong way. Most city cops are not trained to handle highway accidents. I'm sure they tried to do the best job they knew how, but ended up compounding the situation.
:smilie_132: :smilie_132: :smilie_132:

The reason the FedEx Freight driver did not get a citation is because the CITY cop car is what caused the FedEx Freight truck to lose control of his rig.
Say that one more time...cause I do not understand what your saying????? let me see the cop was driving the fedex truck and ran into his cop car... 10-4 ok that makes since now!

A California CHP would have stopped his patrol car in the left shoulder next to the Jersey wall, with his rear yellow blinking lights telling oncoming traffic to move to the right.

I keep picturing Baker and Poncharella pulling up on their motorcycles and controling the entire scene and saving the day before the next commercial..........

The important thing is no one got hurt. Does any one know if his kite had any freight in it. If it was empty or lite we all know it wouldn't take much for it to come around like that. Glad everone is ok.

Since I was not there, I would not attempt to judge one way or another, but I WOULD say the preceived speed of travel is irrelevant in this case, as it appears the "impact" occured at the bottom of an incline.

Myself being a driver who has lost total control of any kind with a set of doubles on ice, I see it being very possible that the truck was moving FASTER at the point of impact than it was traveling at the time the driver lost control.

magicman welcome to trucking boards.:smilie_132: It's mice to have you along for the ride. Hope you will tell others about us!:1036316054: