FedEx Freight | FedEx Accident in CCI

Ohio State Police And Fedex Crash

You know I think this just might be a record posts for commenting on any wreak thats ever come up on the truckingboads in its history?

You know I think this just might be a record posts for commenting on any wreak thats ever come up on the truckingboads in its history?

You may be right! Me thinks it's the "media" thing. It's very, very seldom the general public, those who live in constant fear that their very life is about to end due to all the crazed, deranged truck drivers on the highway for no reason but to run over them, get to see a big truck of any kind "smash into other vehicles" recorded as it happened in such a dramatic fashion.

Seriously, the FIRST time I saw the video, it was on one of those national morning shows, I think ABC, can't remember, but the way the anchor's reacted to this video, you would have thought it was "9-11, part two".

Maybe it just hit me the wrong way, but the first thing that came to mind watching this was the Connie Chung thing a few years ago? Something about a warning to the general public to run for their life if they ever encountered a truck driver? :hide:

May be as a rule people don't like driving around trucks.
But when they go to the store to make a purchase of something they may desire.
They want it to be in the store their going too.
So if they don't like trucks,and truckers how do they think everything is going to be where they want it when they want it?
Do they think everything magically apears in stores?
Are they so clueless that all of Americas needs move by truck?

MoMoney,

What the heck were you doing in the "KY"? I thought you was running out to "NY State"?

Here's a little interview I read:

9News spoke tonight with some folks who say they're very lucky to be alive.

On I-71/75 last night, the freezing rain and snow lent to a horrific scene straight out of a movie in which an out-of-control double tractor-trailer slammed into a helpless compact car.

The freezing conditions last night left more than 100,000 power customers without power, but it also created the kind of road conditions that led to the crash.

With the release of cruiser cam video today, one can now witness sheer terror through the cruiser cam of Erlanger police officer Bill Allen.

The events that led up to the disaster were small notes which led to the horrible crescendo.

"Both Officer Eagler and I noticed that the road was very slick," Officer Allen told 9News.

Just before the crash, Allen and probationary officer Doug Eagler had responded to the scene of a single car spinout.

"As we approached the vehicle, we both heard a noise -- turned around and looked -- and saw another vehicle strike the back end of our cruiser," said Allen.

The driver in that car was 20-year-old year Ashley Walker, whose bruises now show on her neck her seatbelt restraint.

"I seen the police cruiser and I tried to stop ad get over, but I couldn't stop," Walker told 9News.

As her car struck the cruiser, the camera goes out.

Officer Allen's car is spinning in the meantime, and when the camera comes back on, it's pointing back towards oncoming traffic.

She tells 9News, this is when she says he saved her life.

"He's like -- get out get out a semi's coming a semi's coming!," said Walker. "He takes me out of the car and throws me into the snow and he throws himself on top of me."

Video also shows the car of Ronald Powell, who amazingly, has barely a scratch on him, despite being in the car the semi hit.

"The cop car started spinning in front of me and I'm coming up and I'm starting to slow down and then I see the Officer grab Ashley out of her car and dive him and himself against the guard rail," said Powell. "And then that's when I get smacked."

The driver of the double tractor-trailer says he tried to steer around, but couldn't.

The video shows the double-load tractor-trailer jack-knifing and slamming right into Powell's compact car.

When 9News asked Powell if he has seen the cruiser cam video of him getting hit, he responded, "Yes, and it just lets me know how truly the grace of God and the seatbelt, it saved my life."

Remarkably no one was seriously hurt as a result of the crash.

Officer Allen tells 9News he didn't have time to think, he just acted.

Ashley Walker says she will no longer take things for granted.

And, again, Ronald Powell believes he and his seatbelt had a little help from above.

I found this one of the more informative post's on the thread, along with the Youtube link. When you watch the YouTube, you see that the cop that was riding shotgun was able to jog to the car that was involved in it's own little "solo" accident. If those 2 fellows thought it was so slick, why was one able to jog from the police cruiser, to the first spun-out car? After the camera shot clears, from when the Walker girl hits the Patrol car and spins it around, you can clearly see that the cruiser is sitting square center in the #2 lane, with what must have been the mercedes that the FedEX trailer hit, and drove into, the police cruiser, moving into view. :TR10driving03:

Was there Black Ice on the roadway? I don't think so.. :hide: ..why? If you were "seeing" traffic before the arrival of FedEx on the scene...you were seeing spray from every Truck and car that went by. Notice the empty flatbed just before the mercedes stops in front of the cruiser...plenty of spray coming off the tires.

Was FedEx traveling to fast for conditions? If there had not been "clutter" in the center and left lanes of travel...no. Due to the accident's that occured in the minutes before his arrival on scene, was he traveling to fast for conditions? Yup....FedEx would have been aware of the situation, if "he" was paying attention to the road ahead. Myself...I doubt that he will receive much more than a letter in his file, with a "don't do it again" warning.
You have to credit this accident to the "Cops". :duh: If they thought it was slick out, they should have had their Cruiser farther towards the left...not stopped square center in the left lane. I've seen plenty of "protection set-ups" at accident scenes similar to that one...in Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver and never seen the first patrol car on scene sitting square center of a lane.....off center to the shoulder for a left lane accident yes...but never full center.

16 years of night deliveries in Seattle under my belt. :chairshot:

I don't know if you've ever seen something freeze, I've witnessed an entire gallon jug of water go from cold water to entirely frozen in about 1/2 second. It was one of the freakiest things I've ever seen and I wouldn't have believed it had I not been watching the entire thing.

roog

Hey tumbleweed, I didn't see anything in your post that said you were there to see the "black ice" yourself. I did talk to the driver
personally, he said that was the first bridge they had seen that was slick and to make matters worse, it had a slow curve to the right. I agree that you need to pay attention to what is happening down the road as far as possible, but I have not always been able to see around the curve and doing it after dark don't make it any easier. Again there were NO
tickets given. If the officers on the scene didn't think he was going to fast, or didn't have time to get down to a safe speed, I am not making that call from 500 miles away when a grainy video is all I have to go on.

Watching Jimmy Kimmel tonight, he gave his award for best crash during last weeks storms to FedEx. Bet the higherups are loving this.

Just a reminder to everyone about the police cruiser, it was struck by a 4 wheeler prior to the FedEx truck striking it.Then after the collision with the FedEx truck another truck hit it.
Until all the facts are made available we are all speculating on who is to blame whether there was black ice etc.

Stretch...I wasn't there..what I observed was "SPRAY" coming off the wheels of cars and trucks "Passing" the patrol car, before and after it was hit. And..I pointed that fact out in my statement. I found it interesting that a cop was able to jog from his patrol car, to the initial accident, on "Black Ice". Have you ever attempted to run on "Black Ice"? :chairshot:

Have I seen and driven in freezing rain...bet yer arse I have. True pucker power is decending Blewett Pass in Washington State, in a truck carrying 11,500 gallons of gas, and seeing the spray from the truck in front of you disappear...then seeing the tracks that truck was making on the road surface vanish, in less than 1/2 a mile. :smilie_132: If you have never driven Hiway 97 from I-90 to US 2, you have really missed a "winter time" treat. The bottom third of that pass is wicked.

I do not know what you "Eastern and Southern" drivers do by way of judging road conditions. Myself, after growing up in Montana, in the mountains, and learning to drive pulling hay wagons and bull racks, then working up and down the Rockies working Oilfield, I learned to judge road conditions by watching other traffic. Spray coming off the wheels...wet roads. Road looks wet, but tire tracks are showing, ice is starting to form. Shiney road and no tracks, ICE.

Is it wrong to make a statement, based on what you observe in a video? Maybe in the eyes of some.
That driver's bosses will be making their call, based on that same video. :hide:

Welcome ''magicman''
Tell your friends about us please.

You got it figured out

I found this one of the more informative post's on the thread, along with the Youtube link. When you watch the YouTube, you see that the cop that was riding shotgun was able to jog to the car that was involved in it's own little "solo" accident. If those 2 fellows thought it was so slick, why was one able to jog from the police cruiser, to the first spun-out car? After the camera shot clears, from when the Walker girl hits the Patrol car and spins it around, you can clearly see that the cruiser is sitting square center in the #2 lane, with what must have been the mercedes that the FedEX trailer hit, and drove into, the police cruiser, moving into view. :TR10driving03:

Was there Black Ice on the roadway? I don't think so.. :hide: ..why? If you were "seeing" traffic before the arrival of FedEx on the scene...you were seeing spray from every Truck and car that went by. Notice the empty flatbed just before the mercedes stops in front of the cruiser...plenty of spray coming off the tires.

Was FedEx traveling to fast for conditions? If there had not been "clutter" in the center and left lanes of travel...no. Due to the accident's that occured in the minutes before his arrival on scene, was he traveling to fast for conditions? Yup....FedEx would have been aware of the situation, if "he" was paying attention to the road ahead. Myself...I doubt that he will receive much more than a letter in his file, with a "don't do it again" warning.
You have to credit this accident to the "Cops". :duh: If they thought it was slick out, they should have had their Cruiser farther towards the left...not stopped square center in the left lane. I've seen plenty of "protection set-ups" at accident scenes similar to that one...in Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver and never seen the first patrol car on scene sitting square center of a lane.....off center to the shoulder for a left lane accident yes...but never full center.

16 years of night deliveries in Seattle under my belt. :chairshot:

Good job. You got it figured out just like I did in some earlier posting. Apparently the black ice was on a bridge that you had to cross before you got to this accident. That is why the first car spun out into the median wall. All other wrecks thereafter were caused by the police cruiser being parked in the middle of traffic lanes. First number one lane and then number two lane after it got spun around and facing oncoming traffic. Sure would like to see if somebody can post the highway patrol accident report when that is available for all of us to read.

maybe that red car hit the rear tire of that lead trailer causing the the driver to lose control. watch the video and pause it. looks like that red car crossed the white line. maybe that car seen the trooper last minute. hit the brakes losing control. just my opinion. lets not always blame the big trucks.

Maybe the FedEx driver was driving way too fast for conditions, was startled by the wreck, and locked up the brakes...that would explain the tires on the rear box not moving when in the air after hitting the cruiser.

OOPS, there I go suggesting a driver did something stupid and careless! No, that would never happen! He was too busy thinking about his family, that's why he was haulin' *** in the bad weather!

2 million miles safe behind behind me, 1 million to go till retirement.

Jeff

Maybe the FedEx driver was driving way too fast for conditions, was startled by the wreck, and locked up the brakes...that would explain the tires on the rear box not moving when in the air after hitting the cruiser.

OOPS, there I go suggesting a driver did something stupid and careless! No, that would never happen! He was too busy thinking about his family, that's why he was haulin' *** in the bad weather!

2 million miles safe behind behind me, 1 million to go till retirement.

Jeff

I see the back tires spinning when it's in the air.

Couple of other questions I have.

Was there any freight in those pups?
Seemed like those trailers got a lot of air when they hit

I heard that the trooper's car was hit by another trailer after our truck hit it. Is this true??

Yeah you can see it being hit again in the video.

Good Lord, I hope I never do something that gets this much negative publicity.
This is like the neverending thread.
Seems like it's being analized like Dale's #3 wreck.
:hide:

indeed - and its every board too - hanks, diecast truck collecting boards, expediters boards ... it practically went out to all of FDCC in an email too -- i replied with the correct info since someone posted what the media said instead of what came from our driver. I think we had 3 or 4 accidents that day alone ... most of them were single vehicle tractor trailer while empty trying to get to a pick up ... it happens.

Rob

Con-Way Love on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

ConWay vs ConWay on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
set-72157594400989416

These are from December - but still

Ripcord - where you from? You running into AKR on a VIA just passing through? I live here in AKR, used to run for the terminal but dispatching now for FDCC ... had Union Pacific call today to get 5 53's to take to GM plant in Oshawa to keep it open. They were stopping a train in Decatur IL and having us back to a boxcar door and swing it into the trailers.

Rob

We are out of Dallas and were headed to West Middlesex, Pa.

Welcome to www.truckingboards.com

Welcome to the boards ''Ripcord''.
Please tell your fellow associates in your barn about us.
Have fun , read the rules , play safe.