ODFL | Fired while on comp?

When you have a debate about something and it starts turning against you calling names is a bad sign. We all state our opinion, what once was a fantastic growing company now has "people" in upper management that were not there during the growing years who are changing the way the company looks at the employees. We used to be the family or team now we are just numbers. My biggest gripe about everything this company is doing right now is nothing else matters but the numbers. If OD were operating in the high 90s I would completely understand this mindset, but with the numbers we are being told OD is operating at. It feels like the company does not have enough money to pay the bills. "please Just One More"

Just one more is how you sustain growth. I don't see why drivers think they are above asking for freight. The NAE's who are OD's top sales reps and do $100 million plus each per year still ask the same question. "Is there any more freight that u can give us?" That should be all of our approach...systematically grow the company with profitable business. How low the OR goes is just a byproduct of that. You think we should give up and maintain when we hit 85? Heck no. Keep moving forward. We either contribute to the cost or we contribute to the revenue. P&D drivers are in a unique position to affect both sides. You can keep our costs low by running your routes efficient. And you can help increase revenue by possibly getting another shipment.

Trucking is a very high cost and low profit business. The reason we are doing so well is we manage our yield better than anybody else. Even with being the most profitable company right now -- we are still only netting .15 for every dollar! You think your customer who likes to complain about the freight price is operating with margins that slim? Absolutely not...

Last edited:
When you have a debate about something and it starts turning against you calling names is a bad sign. We all state our opinion, what once was a fantastic growing company now has "people" in upper management that were not there during the growing years who are changing the way the company looks at the employees. We used to be the family or team now we are just numbers. My biggest gripe about everything this company is doing right now is nothing else matters but the numbers. If OD were operating in the high 90s I would completely understand this mindset, but with the numbers we are being told OD is operating at. It feels like the company does not have enough money to pay the bills. "please Just One More"
It's all about the bonus for the manager, better OR and more revenue growth equals bigger bonus.

Just one more is how you sustain growth. I don't see why drivers think they are above asking for freight. The NAE's who are OD's top sales reps and do $100 million plus each per year still ask the same question. "Is there any more freight that u can give us?" That should be all of our approach...systematically grow the company with profitable business. How low the OR goes is just a byproduct of that. You think we should give up and maintain when we hit 85? Heck no. Keep moving forward. We either contribute to the cost or we contribute to the revenue. P&D drivers are in a unique position to affect both sides. You can keep our costs low by running your routes efficient. And you can help increase revenue by possibly getting another shipment.

Trucking is a very high cost and low profit business. The reason we are doing so well is we manage our yield better than anybody else. Even with being the most profitable company right now -- we are still only netting .15 for every dollar! You think your customer who likes to complain about the freight price is operating with margins that slim? Absolutely not...
Then explain to me why you pull a driver or drivers off there routes and send them in.Because they don't want them over 50 hours on Thursday.Then you going to send a driver 1.5 hour drive to pick up one skid.Same with me send me 45 minute drive to get one skid then miss the second pick up because they had already left for the day.Common Since would have let those drivers in the area service the customer and forget the 50.Looks like we spend more money and time running around to me.Sorry,but I'm not the only one who see's this.

Then explain to me why you pull a driver or drivers off there routes and send them in.Because they don't want them over 50 hours on Thursday.Then you going to send a driver 1.5 hour drive to pick up one skid.Same with me send me 45 minute drive to get one skid then miss the second pick up because they had already left for the day.Common Since would have let those drivers in the area service the customer and forget the 50.Looks like we spend more money and time running around to me.Sorry,but I'm not the only one who see's this.

I can't explain that -- and you are absolutely right...that stuff happens all the time. Not saying every desicion made by every OD dispatcher is the right one. We are in a chaotic industry and sometimes you have to scramble when a customer calls something in late or you have one random pick up not near anything else. Remember...OD nation picks up 35,000 shipments every day -- as long as we get things done right most of the time -- we are OK.

I can't explain that -- and you are absolutely right...that stuff happens all the time. Not saying every desicion made by every OD dispatcher is the right one. We are in a chaotic industry and sometimes you have to scramble when a customer calls something in late or you have one random pick up not near anything else. Remember...OD nation picks up 35,000 shipments every day -- as long as we get things done right most of the time -- we are OK.
So what do we brag about.On time service.So what is the % now.O'h can't forgot about undelivered freight that is not on my trailer.We need not say what they tell us to do.Again,We see it everyday then after while you start ? the numbers.No need to go any further on this.Most likely be called the office again in the morning.Should have never got involved in this discussion.

So what do we brag about.On time service.So what is the % now.O'h can't forgot about undelivered freight that is not on my trailer.We need not say what they tell us to do.Again,We see it everyday then after while you start ? the numbers.No need to go any further on this.Most likely be called the office again in the morning.Should have never got involved in this discussion.

What office?

Not sure I see your point...we are good but not perfect. Still..we are in business to make money.

What office?

Not sure I see your point...we are good but not perfect. Still..we are in business to make money.
Well,keep on making the money.I will just do my job and not concern myself on the waste that is going on.We would really be making some money if management would listen to the one's who make the money for the company everyday and see what is really going on.Again,I enjoy working here most of the time.But,hasn't been the same since John passed and never be the same anymore.John was all about family and would stand toe to toe with us.Not like that anymore.Sorry that I feel that way.Getting ready to get a long Attitude adjustment vacation.I will feel different when I comeback if I have a job.lol

Reactions: DMT
Well,keep on making the money.I will just do my job and not concern myself on the waste that is going on.We would really be making some money if management would listen to the one's who make the money for the company everyday and see what is really going on.Again,I enjoy working here most of the time.But,hasn't been the same since John passed and never be the same anymore.John was all about family and would stand toe to toe with us.Not like that anymore.Sorry that I feel that way.Getting ready to get a long Attitude adjustment vacation.I will feel different when I comeback if I have a job.lol
Didn't say that.

Does your local management not listen to operational suggestions?

Don't apologize for how you feel.

Our service is faked, I did some checking and we are no where close to what we claim. Turns out the managers bonus is also based on service and they need 99.2% to get a full bonus. The managers cheat it by adding appointments or showing it trapped. From what I'm told, our region VP even sends out reminders to the managers like "163 late shipments in the region yesterday, make sure they were coded correctly". That means senior leaders are in on the cheating. Things are certainly changing when we cheat to help our pockets.

Our service is faked, I did some checking and we are no where close to what we claim. Turns out the managers bonus is also based on service and they need 99.2% to get a full bonus. The managers cheat it by adding appointments or showing it trapped. From what I'm told, our region VP even sends out reminders to the managers like "163 late shipments in the region yesterday, make sure they were coded correctly". That means senior leaders are in on the cheating. Things are certainly changing when we cheat to help our pockets.

Wow their really fooling everyone....huh:lmao::438:

Could probably bring our OR down to 75 percent if we just followed that! Been wondering the same for years at this place.

Last edited:
Just One More? Did you guys get those stupid JOM stickers too? Yeah.... as a grown man I'm going to go around begging for freight with stickers. Funny listening to these sales reps try to push this on us and then they're gone a month later working for R & L.

Reactions: DMT
Not new -- and I guarantee I've seen more sides of OD than you or BillyLo-mood. Not just through the windshield. It's all how you look at things -- don't be a Debbie Downer and things might look better. I can say without a doubt that there are many great folks at CPT that do really care about the terminals. Things have to be communicated to them in the first place.

I am not going to get in a:bat: other this, I stated something. OD is great LTL carrier and I will be OD until I retire in 2 years. But OD has problems at lot of Terms. in the system and the problems have been address and communicated to (CORP.) for the last 20 years and still no help!! I do not thing you seen:kickedoutsmile: more sides to OD then I have and the last 46 years that I been in this freight business. Have a nice day Guru:moon2:

I am not going to get in a:bat: other this, I stated something. OD is great LTL carrier and I will be OD until I retire in 2 years. But OD has problems at lot of Terms. in the system and the problems have been address and communicated to (CORP.) for the last 20 years and still no help!! I do not thing you seen:kickedoutsmile: more sides to OD then I have and the last 46 years that I been in this freight business. Have a nice day Guru:moon2:

:shift: Keep pullin hog

My hat off to you my friend. That one thing I hate.Been in Trucking in some way some form for over 25 years and it is so sad to see the new guys coming in and don't give any credit for the ones who have paved the way for the new guy's.

Could not have said it better.

If you want me to ask for other freight , I am happy to do it. I will remove freight labels from thrown away shrink wrap and turn them in. I have done this for years and have had great results because sales do their part, BUT, when you do not trust your people to work as a team and give them sticker to PROVE that they are asking is where i have a problem. I WANT to be a part of the team and do my part without being made to feel like it is never enough.