FedEx Freight | First Look - Kenworth T680

Was this KW that you saw at CMH a single rear axle that was kind of yellowish or mustard InColor?
No it was a company single axle kenworth 660 model and the chain rack was behind the mudflaps. It wasn't assingned to CMH. It was making the round to all the terminals for the big wigs to see.

My Volvo (I-Shift 12 speed auto with D13/425), routinely exceeds 8 mpg (and has hit 8.8 mpg) with intermediate loads despite the fact I climb from sea level to 4100 feet, drop down to 2500 feet and climb back up to 4100 feet before descending back to sea level. I then repeat the process while returning from my turn point. So I have serious terrain issues, and the lowest mileage I've had is 7.0 mpg with 70,000 pounds both ways. The KW's I've driven would be in the 5.5 mpg range with the same loads. The fuel savings will run in the range of $25,000 annually, at $4.00 per gallon; which will pay for the truck in 3 years or so.

The D13 is quite a revver too, the one I've been driving gets very good fuel mileage but still will rev and get going down the road. It skip-shifts like the Meritor ZF 12 speed I had in one of our older T800s, works well. Best thing is the reverse and idle speed while hooking, way better than the centrifugal clutches of the auto shifts.

The Eaton Ultrashift transmission in this T680 is much like the iShift in that regards.

roog

I for the life of me will never figure out why any company would purchase an auto-shift, they are the worst thing any road driver could have. For P&D there could be a reason, but for the road ? I can't stand them.

They suck for the P&D side. You are trying to pull out onto a congested road, you see your opening and you go. It goes through all of the gears and you end up causing near miss collisions. Or when backing into docks, especially on an incline, you end up slamming into the dock, bouncing off and trying to feather the fuel peddle to ease back into the dock. They are good for driving from point A to point B but nothing else!

No it was a company single axle kenworth 660 model and the chain rack was behind the mudflaps. It wasn't assingned to CMH. It was making the round to all the terminals for the big wigs to see.

I guess we need to define "Behind the mudflaps". Are you saying the chain racks are at the end of the frame rail back by the pintle hook, as in, between the mudflap and trailer landing gear?
If that is the case, I'd sure like to have the person that designed that hang up my three railers without dropping the trailer first.

Kw's answer to the "Fuel Gap"?? One of the Socal drivers had a KW engineer ride with him for a couple of hours about 3 months ago. Had the chance to ask the engineer some pointed questions about KW's failures as a tractor. First question: "why is it impossible to get the temperature comfortable? I'm either too hot or too cold. There's no happy medium." Then I moved on to the fuel issue and he suddenly needed to go to the bathroom. I don't think he liked me. Oh well, I can live with that.

ST
well ya have to look at it like I do when ppl don't like ya....one less Christmas card ya gotta buy!!!

I guess we need to define "Behind the mudflaps". Are you saying the chain racks are at the end of the frame rail back by the pintle hook, as in, between the mudflap and trailer landing gear?
If that is the case, I'd sure like to have the person that designed that hang up my three railers without dropping the trailer first.

It's just their way of saying "on your knees driver"

That would be correct.It was a extension off the frame rail. the chains would actually hang down on the mudflap. With DEF tank taking up the drivers side space and the is no space on passenger side I guess thats the only place to put them.There is a small space between the DEF tank and rear tires,but if you blow a cap it will take the DEF tank out if chains are hanging there.

I for the life of me will never figure out why any company would purchase an auto-shift, they are the worst thing any road driver could have. For P&D there could be a reason, but for the road ? I can't stand them.

Exactly! it's still a automatic! I don't care if it shifts smoothly...especially for winter driving. A truck isn't a truck to me unless it's manual shift...I'm sorry that's just me.

Roggie I want to personal say thanks for taking your time and trouble and posting these pics ! You are what TB is all about a member helping other members and keeping everyone informed . Once again thank you !!!!
WTH! No bird pirtch...to mount your own antenna! WTH were they thinking!?....lol

the times I've used the auto-shifts, I not gotten any better mpg than with a manual. yes, backing up to dock is a real bear, and doing a drop&hook at a relay and waking everybody up when it slams into the pin. O yeah then the ever present down-shift for no reason, that alway's fun.

Richard Cranium said:
Any real driver would know something the steering wheel holders don't. You actually get off the line faster by upshifting at lower RPMs. I'll smoke a firewall jammer every time.
But the real reason is that the ideal employee no longer needs a large set of skills to drive that truck.

Just ask RC he knows it all. Love that CB jabber.

the times I've used the auto-shifts, I not gotten any better mpg than with a manual. yes, backing up to dock is a real bear, and doing a drop&hook at a relay and waking everybody up when it slams into the pin. O yeah then the ever present down-shift for no reason, that alway's fun.

Go buy a lottery ticket. You're one in a billion. The Auto is hands down more efficient than the manual. I don't understand all the comments. I guess if you're racing around like an idiot, maybe the tranny is rough. Mine is smooth as silk, but then I don't race around.

ST

There is a BIG difference between the old auto shifts and the new. The newer versions are very similar acting to a true auto. Gone are the days of trying to push the dock building off it's foundation when trying to back a trailer to the door.

silent trucker said:
Go buy a lottery ticket. You're one in a billion. The Auto is hands down more efficient than the manual. I don't understand all the comments. I guess if you're racing around like an idiot, maybe the tranny is rough. Mine is smooth as silk, but then I don't race around.

ST

Seems as though those driving skills RC refers to do not include fuel conservation.

ST

I would love an explanation on efficiency when you are sitting beside the highway with the chk trannsmission ecu msg on and snow just a blowin and other trucks going by you about ready to take your mirror off because you couldnt get off highway very far when it decided to malfuntion because the wiring soaked up enough salt and magnesium chloride brine from the road.

I don't care what's the MPG on this truck,just don't take this truck to the TDC because it's really a crappy truck to drive for the competition.your safety guys are really smart,try to take advantage,they know you guys are the only one has Kenworths on the LTL business.in my state we still kick fed ex butt.....

I don't care what's the MPG on this truck,just don't take this truck to the TDC because it's really a crappy truck to drive for the competition.your safety guys are really smart,try to take advantage,they know you guys are the only one has Kenworths on the LTL business.in my state we still kick fed ex butt.....

Given it's the first of a new design, and quite unlike any other KW we have I'm not sure what kind of advantage it's supposed to give...... At the TDC you cannot drive your own companies trucks......... I have a new automatic volvo and a wilson driver won the state with mine in N.C. so what was your point? What state do you kick what? Compare paychecks and you will be the one left with the red A$$.....