FedEx Freight | Gardena CA on strike, walkout!

The guys over there walked out on the company over unfair labor practices. See, they don't have a union and they're showing their power. That takes balls. And I'm glad to see other terminals in the country are fed up with this company like we are at EPH. Thank you everybody at Gardena California, we support you and we stand with you, your friends at EPH!
They should keep on walking all the way to the doorsteps of yrc or buster brown and then maybe they will finally have their dream job so they can whining about how unfair fedex is to them. I hate it that I'm going to make 100k again this year and sleep in my own bed almost everynight and be off weekends and holidays. Damn you fedex LOL

Lies and intimidation.

I'll post some examples of the lies about this particular Gardena event that were posted at centers nationwide as well as being read in many preshifts.

One form of intimidation comes in the form of cornering fencesitters.
When we filed a petition at NHS, it was quite coincidental that management was up everyone's ass playing the nice guy, telling blatant lies, pulling drivers into offices for one on ones, mandatory locked door meetings, bombarding guys and gals in the fuel bay and other areas where they were never seen before.
Showing a 9 minute video clip of the Overnite ULP strike documentary that was taken completely out of context because it conveniently started minutes after showing management encouraging anti guys to provoke fights and initiate violence then it conveniently ended just before it was explained how many members of Overnite management were found guilty in multiple cases of hiring someone to intentionally cut brake lines and destroy equipment in an effort to blame teamsters for it.

Everyone here has a family to look out for and bills to pay. If I wasn't balls deep into this campaign and scouring every lead to every story and getting both sides of it, I'd probably fall for it too.

Fear is a powerful thing and this corporation knows it.

I can sit here and say I was pulled out of my truck and beat up by red shirt thugs in the parking lot at NHS and everyone would scream at the top of their lungs that it is bullcrap and want proof but when the management says a guy was drug out of his truck and teamsters beat him up, everyone runs with it.

Until you can look at things objectively, you'll forever be a close minded individual whose arrogance and ignorance will forever be blind to the truth as well as the big picture. This can be said about people from both sides but the ratio is far greater with the 'strong' folks.
0sGw7Tj.jpg

ikXS0Ai.jpg

They should keep on walking all the way to the doorsteps of yrc or buster brown and then maybe they will finally have their dream job so they can whining about how unfair fedex is to them. I hate it that I'm going to make 100k again this year and sleep in my own bed almost everynight and be off weekends and holidays. Damn you fedex LOL

A perfect example of someone who doesn't understand the entirety of the struggle.

Lies and intimidation.

I'll post some examples of the lies about this particular Gardena event that were posted at centers nationwide as well as being read in many preshifts.

One form of intimidation comes in the form of cornering fencesitters.
When we filed a petition at NHS, it was quite coincidental that management was up everyone's ass playing the nice guy, telling blatant lies, pulling drivers into offices for one on ones, mandatory locked door meetings, bombarding guys and gals in the fuel bay and other areas where they were never seen before.
Showing a 9 minute video clip of the Overnite ULP strike documentary that was taken completely out of context because it conveniently started minutes after showing management encouraging anti guys to provoke fights and initiate violence then it conveniently ended just before it was explained how many members of Overnite management were found guilty in multiple cases of hiring someone to intentionally cut brake lines and destroy equipment in an effort to blame teamsters for it.

Everyone here has a family to look out for and bills to pay. If I wasn't balls deep into this campaign and scouring every lead to every story and getting both sides of it, I'd probably fall for it too.

Fear is a powerful thing and this corporation knows it.

I can sit here and say I was pulled out of my truck and beat up by red shirt thugs in the parking lot at NHS and everyone would scream at the top of their lungs that it is bullcrap and want proof but when the management says a guy was drug out of his truck and teamsters beat him up, everyone runs with it.

Until you can look at things objectively, you'll forever be a close minded individual whose arrogance and ignorance will forever be blind to the truth as well as the big picture. This can be said about people from both sides but the ratio is far greater with the 'strong' folks.
0sGw7Tj.jpg

ikXS0Ai.jpg

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but I CAN look at things objectively that's part of the pro sides problem with me on this site. If you told me Fedex management pulled you out of your truck and beat you up I wouldn't believe it. I would however believe a Teamster might, this is based on history. I'm not saying that the Teamsters endorse or encourage it but I can easily see s misguided member doing it on their own. I'm sorry but we're past the need for violence to accomplish our goals. I want no part of such an organization.

Not referring to anyone in particular, just noticed it's a problem with society in general and it carries over to their thoughts on this whole situation.

You've always come off pretty sensible but you just said you can see a misguided member of an organization doing a dirty deed on their own and you want no parts of it....FedEx's hands or their 'strong' arm crew aren't squeaky clean either.

Not referring to anyone in particular, just noticed it's a problem with society in general and it carries over to their thoughts on this whole situation.

You've always come off pretty sensible but you just said you can see a misguided member of an organization doing a dirty deed on their own and you want no parts of it....FedEx's hands or their 'strong' arm crew aren't squeaky clean either.

Look I agree, I've not really defended any of Fedex's tactics and they've blurred the line on several occasions. But I've heard the pro side on this very site bring up violence the anti side doesn't seem as dedicated. But one should be able to disagree with out fear of bodily harm.

Agreed but one should be able to disagree without fear of losing his job or being harassed at work as well. That's happening....not a fear but a reality.

That I totally agree to and in some centers it may be a problem but not the majority thus the lack of widespread support. At my former center (as well as every job I've had union or not) I spoke my mind openly and so did many people. However I wasn't a trouble maker and I did my job well, we had the guys who bellyaches every time they stepped up to the window about everything, then couldn't figure out why management had no use for them. Think about if the guy who never complains complains it means something the guy who always complains it means nothing and breads contempt. Human nature would be to want to wear out that person right wrong or indifferent.

What seems to not be understood is fedex presents us with a job that we can take or leave. Yes it's that simple. There are some on here that think fedex owes us the world. If they let us be in charge of how the company operates it would be bankrupt in no time.

Your previous post referenced money. It's about so much more than a paycheck. I'm sure I don't need to warn you about your lackadaisical attitude over benefits. If someone doesn't fight these companies, and maintains your attitude, we'll all be working for minimum wage with no benefits. You can contribute your current wages to the fact that LTL has historically been organized.

The problem is, in my opinion, a generation came along that was just handed a fine paying job with great benefits. They never had to endure the struggle of labor before them. Deregulation came to fruition, and along with it the declining union carriers, and everyone was willing to stand back and assume the status quo of benefits etc would continue. Truthfully, it has for quite a while. The union carriers still set precedent on benefits and wages. The non union companies knew they had to shadow the union benefits to retain the best employees and prevent organizing.

Unfortunately, with mergers and bankruptcy, in the industry, we're left with only a handful of union carriers, and the largest struggling to stay afloat. We have an influx of younger people, and some older whom remain naive because of the aforementioned shadowing of pay etc, that we've allowed ourselves to be at the mercy of the company. Now these non union carriers suddenly control the "bar" so to speak. They can, for the first time, set precedent on wages and benefits, and guess what happens? The benefits suddenly start to steadily decline.

Between legislation in Congress such as right to work, and the companies shadowing pay and benefits, they've fooled people into thinking unions are no longer a necessity.

It's not too late to change the course we're on, but I feel like too many won't see this until it's too late.

"When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong. The minority are usually right."

Eugene V. Debs

Last edited:
What seems to not be understood is fedex presents us with a job that we can take or leave. Yes it's that simple. There are some on here that think fedex owes us the world. If they let us be in charge of how the company operates it would be bankrupt in no time.
So jokersonfire, when the original terms and practices of your employment change and become very different than they were presented, when hired, your solution is to walk away? Is that (pacifist solution) the only solution? Certainly it is not.

Read Dastardly's post above, AGAIN. It does put your industry's practices and compensation into historical perspective.

Your previous post referenced money. It's about so much more than a paycheck. I'm sure I don't need to warn you about your lackadaisical attitude over benefits. If someone doesn't fight these companies, and maintains your attitude, we'll all be working for minimum wage with no benefits. You can contribute your current wages to the fact that LTL has historically been organized.

The problem is, in my opinion, a generation came along that was just handed a fine paying job with great benefits. They never had to endure the struggle of labor before them. Deregulation came to fruition, and along with it the declining union carriers, and everyone was willing to stand back and assume the status quo of benefits etc would continue. Truthfully, it has for quite a while. The union carriers still set precedent on benefits and wages. The non union companies knew they had to shadow the union benefits to retain the best employees and prevent organizing.

Unfortunately, with mergers and bankruptcy, in the industry, we're left with only a handful of union carriers, and the largest struggling to stay afloat. We have an influx of younger people, and some older whom remain naive because of the aforementioned shadowing of pay etc, that we've allowed ourselves to be at the mercy of the company. Now these non union carriers suddenly control the "bar" so to speak. They can, for the first time, set precedent on wages and benefits, and guess what happens? The benefits suddenly start to steadily decline.

Between legislation in Congress such as right to work, and the companies shadowing pay and benefits, they've fooled people into thinking unions are no longer a necessity.

It's not too late to change the course we're on, but I feel like too many won't see this until it's too late.

"When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong. The minority are usually right."

Eugene V. Debs
I worked for the union in the early 90's so there is nothing you are going to tell me about working under organized labor that I haven't experienced and yes I know it has changed since then in many ways so you don't need to go into a speech on how great they are now. The big gripe around here is corporate greed!!! If you think the top shelf of organized labor is in it for anything other than the money you are naive.

I doubt $300,000,000 will bankrupt this company if it were even to happen at once. Phased in over time as more centers vote it in it would not even be noticed as it would be part of the budget. The company raises it rates every year 4-5% to cover increases and add to it's profit. Why did the company offer the pilots 3% pay increase? Because they covered it with the annual rate increase.

So jokersonfire, when the original terms and practices of your employment change and become very different than they were presented, when hired, your solution is to walk away? Is that (pacifist solution) the only solution? Certainly it is not.

Read Dastardly's post above, AGAIN. It does put your industry's practices and compensation into historical perspective.

What about the people who weren't there then? They hired in in this environment. We have some on here who aren't even at top rate and are demanding change. They knew what they were getting into right away and could have have moved in n without giving up to much like some of you senior guys. What's there motivation and do you really think they'll ever be happy?

Eugene V. Debs
Spoken like a true union salt!!