Yellow | Get Rid Of Sleepers

BoatRocker

TB Lurker
Credits
Until YRC rids its operation of sleepers, its struggle to attract and keep drivers will continue. Friends and family have left YRC for ABF and non-union scab companies to just get the hell out of running sleepers. Even if they returned the 15% and pension contribution, todays new crop of drivers are NOT willing to spend their days in a truck with another guy...:17113:...this is NOT the 50's anymore YRC!! In todays economy they can sell the job by promoting the "healthcare plan" with the ability to be home every day or every other day while running SOLO..

Until YRC rids its operation of sleepers, its struggle to attract and keep drivers will continue. Friends and family have left YRC for ABF and non-union scab companies to just get the hell out of running sleepers. Even if they returned the 15% and pension contribution, todays new crop of drivers are NOT willing to spend their days in a truck with another guy...:17113:...this is NOT the 50's anymore YRC!! In todays economy they can sell the job by promoting the "healthcare plan" with the ability to be home every day or every other day while running SOLO..

Slip seat operation, LA to Chicago or LA to Dallas, with Time Critical and now Accelerated Freight.

Talk about staying in the 'dark ages!'

Establishing and maintaining relay points on existing routes, would cost the company more in the long run, and slow transit times.

It would reduce profits and thereby, our strength at the bargaining table in 2019.

I agree that 'sleeper teams' are a challenge, but they are necessary in today's transportation industry.

There are some that bid sleeper by choice and make good money.

Slip seat operation, LA to Chicago or LA to Dallas, with Time Critical and now Accelerated Freight.

Talk about staying in the 'dark ages!'

Establishing and maintaining relay points on existing routes, would cost the company more in the long run, and slow transit times.

It would reduce profits and thereby, our strength at the bargaining table in 2019.

I agree that 'sleeper teams' are a challenge, but they are necessary in today's transportation industry.

There are some that bid sleeper by choice and make good money.

Your thinking is antiquated, Fedex-Conway-ABF-OD execute relays timely and profitably. Sleepers are slow inefficient and an obstacle in recruitment and retention. Once they rid the company of sleepers they can enforce run times and rid themselves of the dead wood that like to hangout at restaurants for hrs and take 2hr naps.

Your thinking is antiquated, Fedex-Conway-ABF-OD execute relays timely and profitably. Sleepers are slow inefficient and an obstacle in recruitment and retention. Once they rid the company of sleepers they can enforce run times and rid themselves of the dead wood that like to hangout at restaurants for hrs and take 2hr naps.

UPS Parcel operated exclusively with relays for decades but they implemented sleepers in some lanes not that long ago in order to improve transit times.

....says the OLD guy still living in the past. Bottom line is that YRC will have to adapt to todays evolving transportation market if it intends to survive and thrive.
Says the KID who just hired in and wants Monday- Friday / 8:00-4:00.
Now that we got that out of the way. How will service be better using just Day Cabs?
Edit: you commented while I was writing

Last edited:
Says the KID who just hired in and wants Monday- Friday / 8:00-4:00.
Now that we got that out of the way. How will service be better using just Day Cabs?
Edit: you commented while I was writing
What he is saying is "pay your drivers for that service" running at night and working on weekends. Thoes old tricks don't work on these new drivers, you have to have a high school diploma to drives these days.

I miss those 2 hour naps, I slept better on the steering wheel with a Series 60 idling under me than I do in my own bed.

I miss those 2 hour naps, I slept better on the steering wheel with a Series 60 idling under me than I do in my own bed.

I still get the chills when I think of one particular time I slept on the wheel. I was driving for Buster Brown one night in a cabover Mack decades ago going from Secaucus to Baltimore. After paying the toll at the end of the NJ Turnpike I pulled over to the shoulder a little bit behind another parked TT. I left the engine running and nodded off over the wheel. After a few minutes as I was beginning to wake up I saw the lights of the parked TT ahead of me while at the same time sensing that the trucks to my left were slowly passing me. In that instant I thought I had fallen asleep behind the wheel at cruising speed in the right lane and that I was about to crash into the TT ahead of me. I mashed the brake pedal, braced myself for the inevitable crash and then after a couple of seconds finally realized I was parked. I think my heart was pounding so hard that you could hear it outside the cab. After getting out of the cab on shaky legs and relieving the pressure in my bladder I managed to continue. I think it took the rest of the trip to get my blood pressure back to normal. Ah, the good old days! :smile new:

Bad choice of examples. With the exception of FedEx, your other examples do operate sleeper teams. FedEx uses O/O and TL company sleeper teams to expedite service critical freight.
I have a question. Are you employed at YRCF? And is so, what possessed you to accept a job that would require to run sleeper team?:popcorn:

I still get the chills when I think of one particular time I slept on the wheel. I was driving for Buster Brown one night in a cabover Mack decades ago going from Secaucus to Baltimore. After paying the toll at the end of the NJ Turnpike I pulled over to the shoulder a little bit behind another parked TT. I left the engine running and nodded off over the wheel. After a few minutes as I was beginning to wake up I saw the lights of the parked TT ahead of me while at the same time sensing that the trucks to my left were slowly passing me. In that instant I thought I had fallen asleep behind the wheel at cruising speed in the right lane and that I was about to crash into the TT ahead of me. I mashed the brake pedal, braced myself for the inevitable crash and then after a couple of seconds finally realized I was parked. I think my heart was pounding so hard that you could hear it outside the cab. After getting out of the cab on shaky legs and relieving the pressure in my bladder I managed to continue. I think it took the rest of the trip to get my blood pressure back to normal. Ah, the good old days! :smile new:

Been there, done that!

Stopped using the steering wheel as a pillow immediately!

Spending days in a truck with another guy? You haven't lived till you've done a layover at some terminal with dormitory style bunk rooms and shared a bunk room with another driver, especially if he smoked!

We had a guy used to carry a newspaper with him, at nap time he'd spread it on the floor, which was quite roomy at the time since we had long nose tractors so no doghouse and just one seat. He was running from Tannersville Pa to Hartford Conn, a 5 hour run, when he didn't show up in 10 hours they had the cops out looking for him, found him sound asleep on the floor in a rest area.