Yellow | Get Rid Of Sleepers

We had a guy used to carry a newspaper with him, at nap time he'd spread it on the floor, which was quite roomy at the time since we had long nose tractors so no doghouse and just one seat. He was running from Tannersville Pa to Hartford Conn, a 5 hour run, when he didn't show up in 10 hours they had the cops out looking for him, found him sound asleep on the floor in a rest area.

Let me show you my hammock strung from the driver's door mirror, over the door to the passenger door. Open window, hold rope, slam door. Zzz!

We had a guy used to carry a newspaper with him, at nap time he'd spread it on the floor, which was quite roomy at the time since we had long nose tractors so no doghouse and just one seat. He was running from Tannersville Pa to Hartford Conn, a 5 hour run, when he didn't show up in 10 hours they had the cops out looking for him, found him sound asleep on the floor in a rest area.
Was that when you ran the HoChiMen?

Was that when you ran the HoChiMen?

Oh yea, "The Trail". If I remember correctly, 29 miles of 2 lane bliss with almost every 18 wheeler headed for New England on it. Had "meathaulers curve", a slight curve that leaned the wrong way, if you were behind a guy hauling swinging beef you got to see his wheels come off the ground on one side, sometimes they went over. You run the trail back then?

Speaking of terminal dormitories, when I first ran for Maislin we bottom guys were last out of course. We ran the "triangle", East Rutherford to Buffalo to bed then Buffalo to Montreal to bed then home. Senior men running to Montreal from Buffalo filled the terminal dormitory and when we bottom guys got there we were sent to the motel. Summer of `74 at the motel we had a pool and a nice restaurant right there. We brought swim trunks, swam in the pool, had a nice dinner, and had a great layover. One day one of the senior guys ran late with us. At Montreal he had never been to the motel, always staying at the dorm. When we got to the motel and we went swimming and then had a nice dinner his jaw dropped. He couldn't believe we bottom guys were having such a good time while the senior guys were in the dorm in the terminal basement. He even jumped into the pool in his briefs. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a dasher! :smile new:

Oh yea, "The Trail". If I remember correctly, 29 miles of 2 lane bliss with almost every 18 wheeler headed for New England on it. Had "meathaulers curve", a slight curve that leaned the wrong way, if you were behind a guy hauling swinging beef you got to see his wheels come off the ground on one side, sometimes they went over. You run the trail back then?
Yep, then they closed it and BigR got an exemption to run it

Bad choice of examples. With the exception of FedEx, your other examples do operate sleeper teams. FedEx uses O/O and TL company sleeper teams to expedite service critical freight.
I have a question. Are you employed at YRCF? And is so, what possessed you to accept a job that would require to run sleeper team?:popcorn:

I run feeders for Brown. My uncle and several friends have left YRC over sleepers. The local YRC terminal can't keep drivers due to sleepers. My concern is a selfish one, more teamsters=more bargaining power...Even though we(UPS) are separate, it keeps management on their toes.

I still get the chills when I think of one particular time I slept on the wheel. I was driving for Buster Brown one night in a cabover Mack decades ago going from Secaucus to Baltimore. After paying the toll at the end of the NJ Turnpike I pulled over to the shoulder a little bit behind another parked TT. I left the engine running and nodded off over the wheel. After a few minutes as I was beginning to wake up I saw the lights of the parked TT ahead of me while at the same time sensing that the trucks to my left were slowly passing me. In that instant I thought I had fallen asleep behind the wheel at cruising speed in the right lane and that I was about to crash into the TT ahead of me. I mashed the brake pedal, braced myself for the inevitable crash and then after a couple of seconds finally realized I was parked. I think my heart was pounding so hard that you could hear it outside the cab. After getting out of the cab on shaky legs and relieving the pressure in my bladder I managed to continue. I think it took the rest of the trip to get my blood pressure back to normal. Ah, the good old days! :smile new:
We've all been there one to many times ,but live to tell the tale

I run feeders for Brown. My uncle and several friends have left YRC over sleepers. The local YRC terminal can't keep drivers due to sleepers. My concern is a selfish one, more teamsters=more bargaining power...Even though we(UPS) are separate, it keeps management on their toes.
UPS runs sleepers. In fact several Chicago YRCF drivers quit and went to UPS Willow Springs to run sleepers. Maybe it's not the sleepers? Maybe it's equipment and benefits.............
IMHO there is a big difference in the restrictions imposed on PTS at UPS as opposed to YRCF, and ABF for that matter.

UPS runs sleepers. In fact several Chicago YRCF drivers quit and went to UPS Willow Springs to run sleepers. Maybe it's not the sleepers? Maybe it's equipment and benefits.............
IMHO there is a big difference in the restrictions imposed on PTS at UPS as opposed to YRCF, and ABF for that matter.

Sleepers are 7% of parcel operation. Most of us on feeders and package cars are swamped in overtime, the union is finally pushing for more full-time positions. As for the freight side, they're barely making a profit and will soon redesign their business strategy to enhance the network with a freight company acquisition to expand their footprint.

I wonder if it's easy to have "standards" when you're still living at home with your parents.
What does that has to do with anything? I guess being an elder in the business you have limit options, "Sounds like you was a YES voter for the extension ". I'm just saying, thanks to my diploma...