Central Transport | hand books

exactly correct!
Yepper. If you work more than 6 hours (on Chronos time clock) you automatically get deducted 30 minutes for lunch with no choice, work it and you are working off the clock for free. Vitran's limit on P&D is 60 hours minus 30 minutes a day, or, 57.5 hours a week

by fed law, you are entitled to a 30 minute break at any job over 6 hours, if you choose not to take it, that is your choice (and many at my place do not) but some of us DEMAND our 30 minute break. ask me to come in early, work late, do this, do that, but they never offer lunch, i take it on my own when and where i want, pure and simple. if it means getting back at 8 instead of 730,,,,,, the world will not end,,,, break someone else's trailer first then i will be in and you can do mine.

i will not donate 2 1/2 hours a week to working for free, and neither should anyone else! ask that shipper to skip his 30 minutes to load or unload you? what was his answer? why should you do it for free either!!!!!!!

OK, the new "lunchbreak rule" starts this summer; my bad! It's about halfway down the page (3)(ii)

Search for
Examples: Medical Form, 391.53, 391

All Regulations
Part 395

< 395.2 395.5 >
Related Links
Disclaimer
Interpretation
Help
Hours of service of drivers

§ 395.3Maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in §395.1, no motor carrier shall permit or require any driver used by it to drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, nor shall any such driver drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, regardless of the number of motor carriers using the driver's services, unless the driver complies with the following requirements:
(1) Start of work shift. A driver may not drive without first taking 10 consecutive hours off duty;
(2) 14-hour period. A driver may drive only during a period of 14 consecutive hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty. The driver may not drive after the end of the 14-consecutive-hour period without first taking 10 consecutive hours off duty
(3) Driving time and rest breaks. (i) Driving time. A driver may drive a total of 11 hours during the 14-hour period specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section.
(ii) Rest breaks. After June 30, 2013, driving is not permitted if more than 8 hours have passed since the end of the driver's last off-duty or sleeper-berth period of at least 30 minutes.

(b) No motor carrier shall permit or require a driver of a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle to drive, nor shall any driver drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, regardless of the number of motor carriers using the driver's services, for any period after—
(1) Having been on duty 60 hours in any period of 7 consecutive days if the employing motor carrier does not operate commercial motor vehicles every day of the week; or
(2) Having been on duty 70 hours in any period of 8 consecutive days if the employing motor carrier operates commercial motor vehicles every day of the week.
(c)(1) Through June 30, 2013, any period of 7 consecutive days may end with the beginning of an off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours. After June 30, 2013, any period of 7 consecutive days may end with the beginning of an off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours that includes two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
(2) Through June 30, 2013, any period of 8 consecutive days may end with the beginning of an off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours. After June 30, 2013, any period of 8 consecutive days may end with the beginning of an off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours that includes two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
(d) After June 30, 2013, a driver may not take an off-duty period allowed by paragraph (c) of this section to restart the calculation of 60 hours in 7 consecutive days or 70 hours in 8 consecutive days until 168 or more consecutive hours have passed since the beginning of the last such off-duty period. When a driver takes more than one off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours within a period of 168 consecutive hours, he or she must indicate in the Remarks section of the record of duty status which such off-duty period is being used to restart the calculation of 60 hours in 7 consecutive days or 70 hours in 8 consecutive days.
[76 FR 81188, Dec. 27, 2011]

The transportation industry is EXEMPT from this rule; look it up. Vitran follows the rule because they choose to.

Look, not trying to tell you how to think here, but, as other can tell you, I am the last one you want to try and quote the law to on here. i mean that in a nice way, so don't take it personally.

I am talking current law..... you are not correct. Transportation and Farming are exempt from overtime, but not from breaks if you are an hourly employee and not paid regardless if you get it or not, the key here is HOURLY EMPLOYEE,,,, truckers on miles and supers on salary are entitled to nothing. if you are an hourly secretary and have to answer the phone for 8 hrs a day, you are not entitled to a 30 minute break if you are being paid for 8 hours and that is all you work. this law also includes anyone not allowed to use the time "as their time" or told they cannot leave the company property,,,a factory worker doing a 7 to 7 shift and cannot leave on lunch is required to be paid for a lunch, and is entitled to it... look it up. in same respect, you are entitled a 30 minute break, BUT, the company may regulate WHEN you take it. they can refuse to let you take it a 2pm and tell you that you can take it when you get back at 7pm (technically a 10 hour day with no break) and it is legal (just ask all them UPS package drivers who don't get lunch till they get back and must sit in a break room with no tv or cell phone or they just worked for 30 minutes that day with no pay)

Same thing as reporting at 925 for your starting time of 930 and they tell you to go get a coffee and not punch in. this is against fed law. anytime you must be on company property and punch in at a certain time or be charged a tardy, an employer may not refuse to let you punch in, but just the same you may be assigned to sweep the dock or shovel snow, as an hourly employee you have to do any job within your OSHA class (they cannot tell you to go fix the roof or dig an underground trench). I was an area Manager for a company (not trucking) and had to know and be held responsible for these laws

Safety Alert Letter??? I will ask about it Monday night when I go in. Don't think I have ever seen one of those. Maybe it's just for the city p&d drivers, because nobody in linehaul at my place has ever been informed that we are no longer on the 70/8 schedule.

Hey lisa, come early spring, around the end of the 1st quarter, he should get a call from one of the companies he applies for. I would encourage him to fill one out for ODFL,SEFL, fed ex freight, or if he dont mind working the dock UPGF. but anyways good luck, it tok me a while before i got a new outfit to give this young steering wheel holder a chance.

That's pretty much what we thought. I will tell him to look at those companies. The problem is that I'm the one that gets to enter all the info into the online app - he has no patience for it and one app can take him a couple of hours. LOL Thanks!

If you read in the FMCSA rules under EXEMPT, you will see three seperate provisions by which I beleive that MOST of the P&D guys are exempt from the H.O.S. rules. 1. Many of us work within a 100 "air-mile" radius of our home terminal. Many do not understand that a "air-mile" is the same thing as a nautical mile in the eyes of the feds. A nautical mile is farther than a statute mile. 100 air miles = almost 116 statute miles. 2. We are driver-salesmen in the eyes of the feds. We actively persue additional business and hand out company literature, i.e.; pro labels, bills of lading, route guides etc. 3. (May or may not apply) Exempt if not more than 50% of your total on duty time is not driving. If you work the dock bfore or after your city route, chances are that you actually are not driving, sitting behind the wheel, for more than half of your on the clock time. Yall look it up. Its in there. Somewhere around 29CFR something or nuther... Read it and holler back what yall think.

I find the hand book funny......The first page headline's.....Welcome to Vitran Express....Then the very first thing say's........All employment is presumed to be at-will, which means that any team member may be discharged with or without cause.............Damn people don't you feel the love????????? They didn't waste any time letting you know where you stand......Seems they could have slipped that in the back pages......Kinda rude if you ask me.

If you read in the FMCSA rules under EXEMPT, you will see three seperate provisions by which I beleive that MOST of the P&D guys are exempt from the H.O.S. rules. 1. Many of us work within a 100 "air-mile" radius of our home terminal. Many do not understand that a "air-mile" is the same thing as a nautical mile in the eyes of the feds. A nautical mile is farther than a statute mile. 100 air miles = almost 116 statute miles. 2. We are driver-salesmen in the eyes of the feds. We actively persue additional business and hand out company literature, i.e.; pro labels, bills of lading, route guides etc. 3. (May or may not apply) Exempt if not more than 50% of your total on duty time is not driving. If you work the dock bfore or after your city route, chances are that you actually are not driving, sitting behind the wheel, for more than half of your on the clock time. Yall look it up. Its in there. Somewhere around 29CFR something or nuther... Read it and holler back what yall think.

1) Air miles is a map mile according to the FMCSA office in Chicago IL, I went through this years ago about log books with dump trucks. Draw a circle with a protractor is how they do it. 2) Driver salesman is a truck dealer salesman, not a commercial driver like us. Your dealer delivering or picking up a tractor with no trailer, or a straight truck with no freight, once it is transporting freight then it becomes a commercial motor vehicle. 3) 50%? The law says leave and return to same place within 12 hours. Do a 11 hour day, return and punch in on dock for the time it takes to go to the bathroom, then punch back to P&D and work another couple hours, my state says no logbook needed since i can prove i was at property within 12 hours (thank you fingerprint chronos). You need to check with your state, some have looser or tighter laws than the feds (if i stay in state i can work 16 hours with 8 off and driving up to 12 with 70/8 rules, cross a state line or go beyond 100 miles and it is back to the fed laws, they did this for dump trucks and farmers. but Vitran has set rules country wide) 4) logbook is under CFR 395. ,CFR 29 has been pretty much eliminated and replaced with "Commercial Zone" yearly inspections, ect.

All of you all should read Summary of Hours-of-Service (HOS) Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration this is effective 2/27/13 with total compliance by 7/1/13. If you want a cheat sheet as to what is most common at getting broken around here, just look at our history of inspections page at Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration: SMS - Safety Measurement System - Generic Error Page you will find the regulation much easier than trying to read 10,000 pages of outdated wording

safersys.com, then click on company snapshot, click name, enter Vitran, click on Vitran Express Gibsona PA, click on SMS results, click on print ready measurement profile,,,,, enjoy

I find the hand book funny......The first page headline's.....Welcome to Vitran Express....Then the very first thing say's........All employment is presumed to be at-will, which means that any team member may be discharged with or without cause.............Damn people don't you feel the love????????? They didn't waste any time letting you know where you stand......Seems they could have slipped that in the back pages......Kinda rude if you ask me.
that's how this place always ran, with threats and intimidation.