Holland | Hoffa's Teamsters 1959

By the way I really appreciate the "Some of my best friends are union" remark... Think I've heard it referenced in other circumstances. Oh and new to the site but a 31 + year Teamster without a break in service. Tank, iron and steel, and master freight so I've been around....

Well good for you! I hope your pension will be ok...

By the way I really appreciate the "Some of my best friends are union" remark... Think I've heard it referenced in other circumstances. Oh and new to the site but a 31 + year Teamster without a break in service. Tank, iron and steel, and master freight so I've been around....
Always in Central States?

Since you've never worked at OD, im gonna tell you right here and now, you have to do something really stupid to get fired here. They are more than forgiving.
I never worked for OD and wouldn't dare post this question on the OD forum. This goes to beentheredoneit's comment about working without a net. Is it true that OD doesn't use layoffs during slow times or to bring it's numbers up? Is it true that instead they economically terminate or RIF employees without regard to seniority? Is it true that those terminated can reapply as new employees at the entry level rate? Is it true that everyone who works at OD are at will employees and can be terminated without cause? I ask these questions because if true it doesn't appear you have much of a safety net............It appears that OD is now an industry leaded and it's work rules are becoming the norm. I side with my so called "dinosaur" Teamster brothers as we watch those once great trucking jobs circle the drain.

I never worked for OD and wouldn't dare post this question on the OD forum. This goes to beentheredoneit's comment about working without a net. Is it true that OD doesn't use layoffs during slow times or to bring it's numbers up? Is it true that instead they economically terminate or RIF employees without regard to seniority? Is it true that those terminated can reapply as new employees at the entry level rate? Is it true that everyone who works at OD are at will employees and can be terminated without cause? I ask these questions because if true it doesn't appear you have much of a safety net............It appears that OD is now an industry leaded and it's work rules are becoming the norm. I side with my so called "dinosaur" Teamster brothers as we watch those once great trucking jobs circle the drain.
Wow, I had never heard that, if true that really sucks! Even if it doesn't happen very often I could see a guy shooting off his mouth to the wrong person and getting screwed.

By reading the thread on the OD forum I can understand why he chose not to answer my questions. It seems that his family company is no better than any other trucking company when it comes to taking care of it's employees. At least with a union contract laid off employees have an opportunity to be recalled in seniority order.

Now my question is are these layoffs actual layoffs or economic terminations? If and when they come back do they keep their seniority or start over?
Only thing you keep when coming back from lay off is your employee number. There were guys in '08 who were laid off for a month, came back at the bottom of the list with no benefits or vacation time
And they dare to call us family?!? If my family ever treated me like that I wouldn't ever have anything to do with them again! And that's blood!

By reading the thread on the OD forum I can understand why he chose not to answer my questions. It seems that his family company is no better than any other trucking company when it comes to taking care of it's employees. At least with a union contract laid off employees have an opportunity to be recalled in seniority order.

My company has contributed a large amount to my 401(k) and did so even through the recession. We get cost of living raises every year. Your Teamster pension will be sucked dry within a decade. And you want to say that we have no Safety net?

Who cares what happens after layoff or termination. That's a non-issue. What matters is how the company treats current employees.

My company has contributed a large amount to my 401(k) and did so even through the recession. We get cost of living raises every year. Your Teamster pension will be sucked dry within a decade. And you want to say that we have no Safety net?

Who cares what happens after layoff or termination. That's a non-issue. What matters is how the company treats current employees.
Relax buddy, it's OK, you have the best job in the world and the best employer in the world! Now please move away from any sharp objects or guns and we will all get along! :D
Everybody Now: "Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Really? who cares if they economically terminate instead of laying off? Who cares if you are an at will employee who can be terminated without cause? Yah, a small 401 K match is a great safety net. But it's okay because you're treated like family. Here is what one of your family members posted before and after he found out that OD terminates without regard to seniority and if rehired he would have to start again at the bottom.
Since you've never worked at OD, im gonna tell you right here and now, you have to do something really stupid to get fired here. They are more than forgiving.

And they dare to call us family?!? If my family ever treated me like that I wouldn't ever have anything to do with them again! And that's blood!

I don't blame you for defending your employer but face the truth. No company really treats it's employees as family. Most employees are just a number and 8 hours to be utilized. Of course working for a company like yours without a union contract you aren't even guaranteed 8 hours pay. You may not like what I post but at least here on a union forum you and song are allowed to disagree and debate the issues. I asked the question of economic terminations on the OD site a while back and got chased off by the moderator. He accused me of being a troll with just 1 on topic post.

If you are talking about CSPF you are probably correct , however there are many many more that are and will be fine. your 401k is one stock market crash away from being just like CSPF

Really? who cares if they economically terminate instead of laying off? Who cares if you are an at will employee who can be terminated without cause? Yah, a small 401 K match is a great safety net. But it's okay because you're treated like family. Here is what one of your family members posted before and after he found out that OD terminates without regard to seniority and if rehired he would have to start again at the bottom.

I don't blame you for defending your employer but face the truth. No company really treats it's employees as family. Most employees are just a number and 8 hours to be utilized. Of course working for a company like yours without a union contract you aren't even guaranteed 8 hours pay. You may not like what I post but at least here on a union forum you and song are allowed to disagree and debate the issues. I asked the question of economic terminations on the OD site a while back and got chased off by the moderator. He accused me of being a troll with just 1 on topic post.

There's a difference between being fired and economically terminated. The first post you quoted me on was on being fired for cause. The second is about the layoff issue. I don't agree with how OD handles layoffs. They should step up and pay the unemployment and call back in seniority order. But don't twist my words. If you get fired here you earned it. If you get economically terminated you didn't. But are they going to listen to me? Nope.

If you are talking about CSPF you are probably correct , however there are many many more that are and will be fine. your 401k is one stock market crash away from being just like CSPF

Only difference is I can tell them what I want to be invested in. If the market shows signs of souring, change your investment strategy to safer things. As a pensioner, you have no say. And what you get is what you get.

Only difference is I can tell them what I want to be invested in. If the market shows signs of souring, change your investment strategy to safer things. As a pensioner, you have no say. And what you get is what you get.
Just like my Teamster 401K and my IRA's, but it's nice to have a pension or half a pension to go along with the others.

Never once said its family -- I know full well it's a business.

It's not perfect either -- but unions are a thing of the past. Welcome to the gig economy.

Companies can't afford to float a bunch of fat slugs and carry their weight just because they have tenure in the company. Skills and results are the future.

Wouldn't be surprised to see you applying to work on an OD dock in 15 years when your Union retirement runs out.