TForce | HOT OFF THE FAX... 05/08/09 UPS Freight National Dessions

I did not know some of you do 4/10s. A 4 day work week is not that bad is it??I would love a 4 day work week with the same mileage I get in 5 days.

Let's get some of our stewards to chime in on this topic!

I will chime, I think the 4-10's is good but lacking, we get ot after 8 and that should be the standard. I think the rest is good "Great rather". I would like to see " STAIRS" modified to be honest. In the new price structure for our customer base we can do "STAIRS" now, 1 lb - 5000 lbs, with a price base as such. PU&D guys and gals were always told not to do "STAIRS" due to liability and if you do and get hurt you face termination. Now we can carry anything anywhere.

1 man, by himself, 3000 lbs of books, up 2 flights of stairs, DISASTER.

Now comes the test. We have been fighting the 4-10's for the last year, and last week our terminal manager finally put us back on 5-8's. Does this ruling mean that they can go back and forth from 4-10's and 5-8's whenever they want. We also lost the Sunday - Thursday ruling, where we havent been paid 1 1/2 for working on Sundays.

4-10's must be negotiated at the local level. so unless it was in place before, then they can't just do it. 4-10's would be useful for a small amount of city drivers. Being that the company doesn't always need the full compliment of drivers on slow days. It would also be good for certain Teamsters, some guys live really far away and they would like a 4-10./

I will chime, I think the 4-10's is good but lacking, we get ot after 8 and that should be the standard. I think the rest is good "Great rather". I would like to see " STAIRS" modified to be honest. In the new price structure for our customer base we can do "STAIRS" now, 1 lb - 5000 lbs, with a price base as such. PU&D guys and gals were always told not to do "STAIRS" due to liability and if you do and get hurt you face termination. Now we can carry anything anywhere.

1 box at a time. With frequent rest breaks.

The 4-10's appear to have the overtime tag after the 10th hour.
Our barn is 5-8's and they are trimming overtime hours. Most of our drivers are coming in by their 9.50 and 10th hour, that's about 7.5 to 10 hours overtime.
There would be no overtime if they went with the 4-10's.

This is an interesting topic.

The 4-10's appear to have the overtime tag after the 10th hour.
Our barn is 5-8's and they are trimming overtime hours. Most of our drivers are coming in by their 9.50 and 10th hour, that's about 7.5 to 10 hours overtime.
There would be no overtime if they went with the 4-10's.

This is an interesting topic.

They would only be able to do this in a moderate form. Again at the local level. So you could say we will allow 10% of city routes to be 4-10's. It's a good deal.

They would only be able to do this in a moderate form. Again at the local level. So you could say we will allow 10% of city routes to be 4-10's. It's a good deal.

Ah, I get it now.
My barn seems to be working our bottom 10% in a similar but not exact fashion. When everyone is working (no one on vacation or on paid time off) They are worked 4 days a week but they get overtime after 8.
I see the tweaking going on.

Ah, I get it now.
My barn seems to be working our bottom 10% in a similar but not exact fashion. When everyone is working (no one on vacation or on paid time off) They are worked 4 days a week but they get overtime after 8.
I see the tweaking going on.

The bids would be by seniority so they couldn't just give it to the bottom 10%.

4-10's must be negotiated at the local level. so unless it was in place before, then they can't just do it. 4-10's would be useful for a small amount of city drivers. Being that the company doesn't always need the full compliment of drivers on slow days. It would also be good for certain Teamsters, some guys live really far away and they would like a 4-10./

My point was that we were on 4-10's one month before contract radification, we then greived it. After a year of arguing, the tm changed us back to 5-8's last week. Now can the tm change it back and forth since we were on 4-10's before radification and this new mou came into effect.

4-10's might be okay if you had a 3 day weekend, instead of tues. sat. and sun. day off. Also if we werent starting so late that we were missing a lot of customer pick ups, and having bring backs. 4-10's work if they were being managed properly, not the way our terminal works them.

When I was a city driver I would have loved to have 4 10's. An extra day off with the family or just to be able to schedule appointments of something is great.

My point was that we were on 4-10's one month before contract radification, we then greived it. After a year of arguing, the tm changed us back to 5-8's last week. Now can the tm change it back and forth since we were on 4-10's before radification and this new mou came into effect.

4-10's might be okay if you had a 3 day weekend, instead of tues. sat. and sun. day off. Also if we werent starting so late that we were missing a lot of customer pick ups, and having bring backs. 4-10's work if they were being managed properly, not the way our terminal works them.

Handled locally

We had PCM a while back that said we have to use handrails going up and down stairs, there is no way to bring heavy freight up or down stairs and use the handrail. Using the handrail is proper policy and procedure for UPS Freight. This is also stated in Safe Work Methods pamphlet. UPS Freight can't have it both ways, we need to do what is safe and protect ourselves from needless injuries.

9. The Company shall continue its practice of 2-hour show up pay; however, the parties agree the employee shall first be afforded his or her right under Article 5 to displace less senior employees provided work is available If no work is available and the employee was not informed of the run being cut (or other lack of work) until he or she arrived at the service center, then the 2-hour show up pay shall apply.

This is going to be a Nightmare right here!

This understanding should have specified that it was applicable to the 10% tile...

If Your in the 90% tile - Your Guaranteed Eight (8)!

The company is really going to F-with this one!

You Watch!

This understanding is going to create Havoc for the next year...

Just like the 90 & 10% language did - over this last year!

I expected more - out of this understanding!

This is BS!