TForce | How busy are you!!!!

Hello all! This is my first post, I usually read every day but never post. I'm in the Miami terminal. I am a local P/D driver. Our workload is ridiculous. They just hired 13 guys because we can't hack the amount of work. Our terminal is too small, we don't have enough tractors or trailers and not enough drivers. We have so much inbound freight in Miami that we use a big chunk of our trailers as holding areas. You can't even walk through the terminal without hitting something. I have analyzed something interesting: Whenever I drive around the city on my route I see other terminals Estes, Abf, yellow etc.., Their docks are empty, but not ours. I think were getting everyones freight. In the morning at any given stop, I'll look inside another guys trailer and it has a few pallets but my 53' is loaded beyond reason. I ask other companies drivers and they say: "I went out today with 5 stops", they freak when they hear that I get 18+ and 4 or 5 pickups> I don't know how the other terminals are but our Miami terminal is about to blow with the amount of freight we have. I just want to know what the heck is gonna happen to fix all this. Unfortunately our management seems to be absolutely silent about everything. We don't even have any meetings that have anything to do with future plans. We as employees feel like outsiders.

Hello Iazfran and welcome to the boards, it seems we are all having the same problem in the noreast.

Simple...because our "hub" system cannot support fast transit times to get the freight to the end of line. Take a look at how many hubs Con-Way or Yellow or even Fed Ex operate compared.

Take a look at the Northeast. We have only hubs in HRS, PHL, and NBR. On the other hand, ConWay has hubs in Hagerstown, Allentown, Newark, Moonachie, Newburgh, Springfield, Albany and Milton, PA. Hence you dont see many ConWay sets running past 10 in the morning or on the weekends.

Not that Im saying ConWay is the way for us. Afterall, road drivers at ConWay get screwed on miles because of the fact that they have more hubs.

I have always said and I agree with your theory, for years we have been compared too the big 4 in profit, but in realestate we lack in a bad way, after all UP believed in putting 50lbs. of shyte in a 10lb. bag.

Newburgh opening and sending everybody into that terminal as opposed to spreading the wealth inbetween NWB and wallingford, was a big mistake. And getting on the road after 11:00 am suck's. But it's the "O" WAY.

How much better off would all LTL trucking companies would be.
If only they would listen to their drivers.

I've posted this before but how true it is.

I drove for 15 different LTL trucking companies in 41 years,and there are only two still operating.Yellow,and UPS Freight.
all the ones that closed their doors sighted the exact same reason.
Poor Management.

I Heard STO, PVD, SBR and FRM are in bad shape. Also heard that FRM is getting back the BKL territory. Don't know how they will handle it as small as that place is. Heard they are hiring 20 City Drivers. Looks like truck rite is out the door.

I Heard STO, PVD, SBR and FRM are in bad shape. Also heard that FRM is getting back the BKL territory. Don't know how they will handle it as small as that place is. Heard they are hiring 20 City Drivers. Looks like truck rite is out the door.

With all due respect to the Truck Rite people, they had a hard enough time handling the Overnite volume of freight. Now with the added volume, they are bulging at the seams and the amount of damaged freight coming out of BKL is much higher than it ever used to be.

I really would like to know what bunch of geniuses figured FRM could handle the extra area. Thay have hired many new city drivers and office personnell, but no new road drivers as far as Im aware.

But that additonal help doesnt add space to an overcramped and outdated facility. Maybe Penske has dock rentals?? :hysterical:

With all due respect to the Truck Rite people, they had a hard enough time handling the Overnite volume of freight. Now with the added volume, they are bulging at the seams and the amount of damaged freight coming out of BKL is much higher than it ever used to be.

I really would like to know what bunch of geniuses figured FRM could handle the extra area. Thay have hired many new city drivers and office personnell, but no new road drivers as far as Im aware.

But that additonal help doesnt add space to an overcramped and outdated facility. Maybe Penske has dock rentals?? :hysterical:

It seems to me that city drivers are what is necessary to handle the extra area since they will be handling what truck rite does now.

I imagine there are enough road drivers in the system to move the pups once the city has completed the P and D.

I don't believe BKL has any road drivers, so the extra work to FRM will be city work.

If penske has dock rentals then we could use about 50 of them....:1036316054:

It seems to me that city drivers are what is necessary to handle the extra area since they will be handling what truck rite does now.

I imagine there are enough road drivers in the system to move the pups once the city has completed the P and D.

I don't believe BKL has any road drivers, so the extra work to FRM will be city work.

So all inner city work was given too this private contractor"Truck Rite"? I think it would be a mistake too put it back in FRM if they do not have enough room too manage, who is comming up with these stupid ideas anyway, we are so cramped in MCH we are lucky if we can move across the dock, but the saving grace is the fact we load a full and send it out, otherwise we too would be bursting at the seems.

As a P&D, I never had bring backs. Freight use to fall off the trailer. Now I average one or two a day. And to boot, a cardinal sin of missing pick ups. With the heavy influx of freight, and leaving at 1100 for my run with 15 to 25 stops, this is ridiculas. But according to Ed D*****and his side kick George R******, the northeast is doing fine. Apparently, they are having an elderly moment, probably due to exchanging their medication. We need fresh blood with 2007 ideas. And a solid game plan. Not the "O" version from 1970. If someone with a clue is reading this from UPS, take a ride to any of the northeast terminals and see first hand what we are not doing!!! Oh, and bring in fresh bodies with you. You'll see once you've arrived.

As a P&D, I never had bring backs. Freight use to fall off the trailer. Now I average one or two a day. And to boot, a cardinal sin of missing pick ups. With the heavy influx of freight, and leaving at 1100 for my run with 15 to 25 stops, this is ridiculas. But according to Ed D*****and his side kick George R******, the northeast is doing fine. Apparently, they are having an elderly moment, probably due to exchanging their medication. We need fresh blood with 2007 ideas. And a solid game plan. Not the "O" version from 1970. If someone with a clue is reading this from UPS, take a ride to any of the northeast terminals and see first hand what we are not doing!!! Oh, and bring in fresh bodies with you. You'll see once you've arrived.

It's not just the north east. This whole thing is a joke. I have lost faith in this. As you can tell I don't post much or even really give a damn...And that is not like me....But I can see no reason too.....Crap on the employees and customers and then scratch all these great plans they have.....LIKE SAFETY AND THE TRAINING......Lot of big talk and NO action.....And they wonder why customers are going else where.....2 days this week I brought 7000 lbs into GRJ......The whole western US only had 7000 lbs for us.....Hell I took more weight out of this little hole than I brought in.....And TM...We have a glorified dock worker not a TM.....They would rather have him do that than hire the people needed and take care of the customers.....BLAH BLAH BLAH ....Screw it I am going to breakfast......And be me....

I wholy agree with you hugnlug,pulling out of our terminals as late as noon,is really crazy.
then to get everything off,making pickups as well then return to the terminal to make the outbound load cuts?

Holy cat fish, are we humanbeings,or robots?

I'm older then dirt,and have all I can do to get everything done in the time frame I'm given.
Its only the hand of God helping me out,not getting held up at docks to long,and even though my main road is under re-construction
I'm able to use alternet roads to work around it,and don't have to sit in the traffic line,unless of course I have deliveries or pickups in that area.

My drivers ask how many deliveries I have when I'm leaving on my route?
I say who knows I just take them and start dropping them off.
I don't want to feel like I can't do my whole route before I get going.

So heres how It works out for me.
I pray,and ask Jesus to help me,I can't do anything without him.
I place a great big grin on my face,crank up my southern gosple cassette music.
Roll down my right side window about one foot,the drivers side all the way.
Hit the street and have a grand old time of it till I clock out at the end of my day.

Over 63 years old,44 years of driving for a living,and still loving this life style I have.
Now you know my secert!

You guy's are getting all stressed out. This is a big corporation. All you need to do is put in a good honest days work and thats it. The hell with anything else. Its all about making the money and benefits and thats it. Its all about Thursdays. Get it done, Go home, and leave it all behind. From the minute I start my day I have one goal and that is to get it done and go home. I have found that the more you care, the more you will get stepped on. FORGET ABOUT IT!!!

You guy's are getting all stressed out. This is a big corporation. All you need to do is put in a good honest days work and thats it. The hell with anything else. Its all about making the money and benefits and thats it. Its all about Thursdays. Get it done, Go home, and leave it all behind. From the minute I start my day I have one goal and that is to get it done and go home. I have found that the more you care, the more you will get stepped on. FORGET ABOUT IT!!!

Well Buster, I agree with your statement, this is usually my approach, just what you have explained here, but when you find yourself failing, this is what bring's question to mind about the service one gives. I do not question my ability to peddle, and I will not question your ability to do your job, I do not know you aside from what we have on this board, but now it's going above and beyond what controll we have, and it's frustrating shovelling shyte against the tide, more then anything else.

Especially when you have customers cursing you for even trying UPSF, because we damaged something or thier freight is being held back in 1 of 40 trailer's stuck in a yard in east Oshkosh somewhere.

It suck's to go through this, even though it is out of my controll.

We are steady,and we have another driver being hired on the full time clock the begining of next week.
We still could us two more tractors,and some more pups,and a van or two would also be good.
If any of your terminals can spare this equipment out of your fleet,please send it our way thank you in advance.

We are steady,and we have another driver being hired on the full time clock the begining of next week.
We still could us two more tractors,and some more pups,and a van or two would also be good.
If any of your terminals can spare this equipment out of your fleet,please send it our way thank you in advance.

We are running out of equipment too, forget it.