Holland | How long do we have

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you can file GRIVENCES for continual forced Overtime . I think it goes somthing like this:
the union reserves the right to file grievences against companys that continualy insit that employees work ten or more hours in a day or somthing like that. again I could be wrong check with your steward to be sure.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you can file GRIVENCES for continual forced Overtime . I think it goes somthing like this:
the union reserves the right to file grievences against companys that continualy insit that employees work ten or more hours in a day or somthing like that. again I could be wrong check with your steward to be sure.

Toby,is that in the nmfa,or is it in a local supplement because all we get up here is well the job has to be covered,maybe working a combo barn:hide:it is a different set of rules...I think we have been utility workers before they even came up with the idea,now there is something we could file on:bananapowerslide:

Have you seen the houses in Western Michigan where they live you can fit 2 of mine in one and still have room . the problem is and we are all guilty is that we live out side of our means/city drivers dont budget to 40 hrs anymore they busget to 50 and think it will allways be there so when it comes time for a contract no one is willing to stand up for a better choice and cave in .
Excellent point Toby. Up here we have guys that have a budget based on 60 hrs. not 50 hrs. Some have been at 60 hrs. for the last 15 years, without exception! So when a contract comes around, or "doing the right thing" and cutting your O/T to help a co-worker comes up, they can't or won't. ALL they can think about is that each week, every dollar is used to pay bills. They can't risk being cut back (a strike) or cut their o/t and still survive financially. What a foolish position to put yourself into. God Bless those who put this kind of stress on themselves. We are only guaranteed 40 hrs. (in the city) so budget accordingly. Consider the o/t a BONUS not a MUST! Most of my buddies are into the "JONES" race. (Keeping up with the Jones) They do maybe have more toys than I do, but I have enough of my own to keep me happy and I don't have to screw my fellow co-workers to keep them. They are ALL paid for. I guess it IS just the American way to be deep in debt.:chairshot:

Unless you are working under a different set of rules than what I am working under in CO, if you start a 6 am and take a peddle out at 1:30, and stay out until 7:30, there is no way possible the company can make you work the dock. You are only required to work 10 hours per day. Check your contract. We have fought this with Holland and won years ago.
Up here in GY, (combo barn) If you are out on a run, then return after 10 hrs. on the clock, you DO NOT have to stay to work the dock. If they were to force you out on another route or force you to work the dock, you can grieve it. However, you CANNOT refuse work! Do what your told, then grieve it. We also have the last TWO start times labeled as the "closing crew". They cannot leave after 10 hrs. They have to close down the barn. By the way, If your route takes you past your 10 hours, you DO have to complete the route. The 10 hour rule only applies once you return to the terminal.

In all this greed to compete with the next guy we forget the most important thing: Family , yes we work to support our family's but if you are chasing the dollar you have less of an impact with the raising of your kids and the general influence that you might have been able to give them. Cell phones are not the way to raise a child , time spent with them is , with the overwhelming pressures put on them these days it is harder to resist going down the wrong path. As for your spouses they appreciate the money and Bennie's we make but I bet they don't appreciate having to run the family by themselves or with cell phone participation.
Point is we all can use the extra money but their comes a point that we all have to put our priority's into perspective and not let the Almighty dollar rule:soapbox:

In all this greed to compete with the next guy we forget the most important thing: Family , yes we work to support our family's but if you are chasing the dollar you have less of an impact with the raising of your kids and the general influence that you might have been able to give them. Cell phones are not the way to raise a child , time spent with them is , with the overwhelming pressures put on them these days it is harder to resist going down the wrong path. As for your spouses they appreciate the money and Bennie's we make but I bet they don't appreciate having to run the family by themselves or with cell phone participation.
Point is we all can use the extra money but their comes a point that we all have to put our priority's into perspective and not let the Almighty dollar rule:soapbox:
AMEN, BRO!

Toby,is that in the nm fa,or is it in a local supplement because all we get up here is well the job has to be covered,maybe working a combo barn:hide:it is a different set of rules...I think we have been utility workers before they even came up with the idea,now there is something we could file on:bananapowerslide:

Could be a supplement not sure anybody out their know if it is in nmfa or not? the 10hrs and out is practiced where I am and has been grieved in the past

I don't know how it is at other terminals but..
I haven't' worked ONE F"ING MINUTE of VOLUNTARY overtime in three years yet I get 50 to 55 hours a week every week.
They know how to keep you out, have another driver bring you another peddle or instruct you to drop you full trailer and make pickups on an empty, or force overtime and bring you in with 9 hours and 30 minutes on the clock and give you another several hour peddle. We get no support on this one. In my opinion the contracts intention was to limit a persons workday to 10 hours but we were told that we need to "get the freight or the non-union carriers will"
At least this new contract spells out that they have to notify us of required overtime 1 hour prior to the end of the shift (They told us they did not have to tell us) and there is a formula for bringing peole back off of layoff due to overtime.
Before you call me greedy you should know that I have TWO choices when it comes to overtime, either work it or find another job. One guy was fired over it and luckily made it back to work.

B no one is calling you greedy if it is forced down your throat , you have no choice at that point . We all get stuck out on the road whether we like it or not.

I can't see that we lost anything by ratifying the contract. The utility jobs are going to make us more agile in the market that we already control. Ok, so we may have to work a little harder. I can't see that many of us are overworked, and it may allow the company to bring back some of the laid off guys. Yellow can't compete with us on short haul and we know it. They know it too. Neither can big R. Now that the company is trying to concentrate on overnight freight instead of two and three day stuff, things will get better. We are going to survive!

http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Freight/2008NMFAnegotiations/pdfs/East-NewYorkState

>is that in the nmfa,or is it in a local supplement <

http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Freight/2008NMFAnegotiations/pdfs/East-NewYorkState.pdf

Article 72

The Union shall have the right to file a grievance against any Employer who consistently insists that employees work more than ten (10) hours a day. This shall apply to city drivers returning to terminals after completing tour of duty as well as all other classifications.

pretty sure that's it

ask any driver at the buffalo terminal , forced every day,,,,,, no matter what.i dont want any ot. my life is just fine without any. you must report to the out bound superviser and be prepared to spend the night. 10 11 12 13 14 15 no matter what grievences the dont care they do whatever they want. you leave you are gone. maybe the union gets you your job back maybe not your choice they are just waiting to fire someone over this regardless of closing shift or not.

oh and by the way , you still are working in a forced situation until your grievence is heard.as you all know sometimes these things go to commitee for decision. takes time .previously won and 10 and out in the past they dont care YOU LEAVE YOU ARE CONSIDERED A VOLUNTARY QUIT...

oh and by the way , you still are working in a forced situation until your grievence is heard.as you all know sometimes these things go to commitee for decision. takes time .previously won and 10 and out in the past they dont care YOU LEAVE YOU ARE CONSIDERED A VOLUNTARY QUIT...
The way BUFFALO mixes the PH, AL, and WB freight maybe someone should QUIT. Real nice to be out all week to get hooked on this load only to find that you have to put at least an hour at each terminal to straighten out what was loaded on the outbound docks
in BUFFALO. That PRIDE in your work don't just F##K up the ones tring to get home for a few hours.:chairshot::nutkick:

The way BUFFALO mixes the PH, AL, and WB freight maybe someone should QUIT. Real nice to be out all week to get hooked on this load only to find that you have to put at least an hour at each terminal to straighten out what was loaded on the outbound docks
in BUFFALO. That PRIDE in your work don't just F##K up the ones tring to get home for a few hours.:chairshot::nutkick:
Wow.
Hey did it occur to you that the guys on the dock don't decide how to load the trailer, the dock supervisor does. If they say to load all three destinations then you gotta load all three destinations.

Wow.
Hey did it occur to you that the guys on the dock don't decide how to load the trailer, the dock supervisor does. If they say to load all three destinations then you gotta load all three destinations.
Why not put a PH header, AL mid And the 2 bill WB on the tail. NO lets put the AL in the nose and tail, mix the ph and wb within the rest. Don't worry this will bring US ALL to our knees. This isn't a supervisior thing it is HOW you as a loader should KNOW how it should go. If you have a problem with this you should ask the BU roaddrives, they claim this happens EVERYNIGHT. THIS is OUR future you are messing with.:chairshot::nutkick:SO don't MIX ALL 3 TERMINALS.

Wow.
Do you think they intend to MIX ALL 3 terminals just 2 get them OFF the outbound dock. Use some type of common sense, look at a map. If it is because there is a header is 1 thing, we can work with, but to do it for the F##k of it is looking of the shutdown, wake up.:chairshot::1036316054:Again talk to YOUR BU roaddrivers this happens EVERY night.