Holland | How long do we have

No one should be working 4 or 5 hours overtime each day with people laid off. You are only required to work 2 hours over unless on a cleanup shift. But thats okay we have people in CO working 61 hours a week with drivers laid off. I personally saw his check so it's not hearsay.

I hate working OT with men laid-off. But Holland was built on long peddles and OT. Over-hiring last couple of years has caused this problem,along with the economy. Due to the long peddles most of the senior men take the longest runs creating excessive OT. Sending a relief man is out of the question. In ME the dock ot has been cut-out. CornF in a normal city operation 18 hours ot is to much. We run 400 mile peddles in ME. I average about 300 on my Jackson Tn peddle. Getting old too. GRIZZ

i wish i could leave on10hrs. no way they will not let you go regardless. we had men who started at6:00am fri and were on the dock untill1:00pm given a peddle return at 7:00pm and had to work the dock until 9:00pm.how would you like that with no choice. oh and by the way they also believe the can take you to 70 hrs. as long as you arn't driving past 60

i wish i could leave on10hrs. no way they will not let you go regardless. we had men who started at6:00am fri and were on the dock untill1:00pm given a peddle return at 7:00pm and had to work the dock until 9:00pm.how would you like that with no choice. oh and by the way they also believe the can take you to 70 hrs. as long as you arn't driving past 60
they can take you to a hundred hours if your not driving, if you let them!:nutkick:

Wow I don't get that "you have no choice" statement. Unless you are close-out at our barn you do have a choice. Aren't you the one that told me to get some balls?

Wow I don't get that "you have no choice" statement. Unless you are close-out at our barn you do have a choice. Aren't you the one that told me to get some balls?

I'm not saying you dont have a choice by contract. By DOT they can wear your *** out on the dock as long as your not driving!:1036316054:

I'm not saying you dont have a choice by contract. By DOT they can wear your *** out on the dock as long as your not driving!:1036316054:

Being just a dumb laid-off road driver....somebody tell me just what the rule/article is on mandatory overtime. Just how much extra can the company MAKE you work before you can say, "cya, I'm going home."?

Cant you File grievances to excess Ot? while drivers and or dock are layed off , In 705 we have done that in the past

Being just a dumb laid-off road driver....somebody tell me just what the rule/article is on mandatory overtime. Just how much extra can the company MAKE you work before you can say, "cya, I'm going home."?
Sevenn,
I'm not sure if it's this way everywhere but I happen to be good friends with the Holland city/dock BA in STL. He tells me it's the same way as what Grizz described.....you can only be forced to stay more than 10 hours if you're on a cleanup shift so the freight can all be loaded out that night.

I hate working OT with men laid-off. But Holland was built on long peddles and OT. Over-hiring last couple of years has caused this problem,along with the economy. Due to the long peddles most of the senior men take the longest runs creating excessive OT. Sending a relief man is out of the question. In ME the dock ot has been cut-out. CornF in a normal city operation 18 hours ot is to much. We run 400 mile peddles in ME. I average about 300 on my Jackson Tn peddle. Getting old too. GRIZZ

Grizz:smilie_132:just curious, how many stops go along with your 300 miles?? Let's see we come in the morning fuel and hook finish loading go out and get all the little boxes off the truck and then proceed to fill the trailer back up and come back to the term ,strip the trailer and load the outbound.Just wonderful working in a combo barn.:hysterical:

Top Flight :chairshot:Why do you think Holland would go out of business? There not going anywhere..If Holland goes back to the way they used to run,they will be back,Contract is settled now it is time to get back to business...

Sevenn,
I'm not sure if it's this way everywhere but I happen to be good friends with the Holland city/dock BA in STL. He tells me it's the same way as what Grizz described.....you can only be forced to stay more than 10 hours if you're on a cleanup shift so the freight can all be loaded out that night.

In other words, there is really no excuse other than greediness for working more than 5 days x 10 hours.
I just wonder what kind of bad decisions a person has to make in his/her life in order for (with the exception of corporate CEOs) $1100 a week gross not to be able to pay the necessary bills and have a few toys to play with as well.
Sad, isn't it?
Obviously the CEOs have to be excused from this earnings formula because their needs are greater than ours and they don't have union sisters/brothers that might need to have a share of the earnings pie.

Top Flight :chairshot:Why do you think Holland would go out of business? There not going anywhere..If Holland goes back to the way they used to run,they will be back,Contract is settled now it is time to get back to business...

Just from reading here, some of the guys here are already putting them out to the curb. Holland would be a huge lose to the LTL industry in my opinion.

In other words, there is really no excuse other than greediness for working more than 5 days x 10 hours.
I just wonder what kind of bad decisions a person has to make in his/her life in order for (with the exception of corporate CEOs) $1100 a week gross not to be able to pay the necessary bills and have a few toys to play with as well.
Sad, isn't it?
Obviously the CEOs have to be excused from this earnings formula because their needs are greater than ours and they don't have union sisters/brothers that might need to have a share of the earnings pie.

Have you seen the houses in Western Michigan where they live you can fit 2 of mine in one and still have room . the problem is and we are all guilty is that we live out side of our means/city drivers dont budget to 40 hrs anymore they busget to 50 and think it will allways be there so when it comes time for a contract no one is willing to stand up for a better choice and cave in .

Sad, isn't it?
It just depends on the individual. Some are very greedy and don't care about anybody else. There isn't enough money in the whole world for that type. Some are happy to work 40 hours. Some are happy to take CC when offered and go home. True, it was better in the old days but even then you had some guys who worshiped money.

Unless you are working under a different set of rules than what I am working under in CO, if you start a 6 am and take a peddle out at 1:30, and stay out until 7:30, there is no way possible the company can make you work the dock. You are only required to work 10 hours per day. Check your contract. We have fought this with Holland and won years ago.