XPO | How long is your day , typically?

Yes, if you hire on as a dock worker then get your CDL, your seniority is your date of hire as a dock worker. That's how it was at my barn anyway. I do remember the newly graduated class talking among themselves regarding seniority, it seemed whoever passed and got their license first had seniority. This contradicts my previous statement, unless all were hired the same day. In that case, I would think seniority would go to the first application processed. I started the same day as another driver and I am senior to him based on application process date. We all know that Con-Way makes things up as they go along, so....

If I recall correctly, if two or more are hired on the same day, whoever punches in first will be the senior.

I remember a scuttlebutt many, many, many moons ago (may have dreamt this). It had to do with a bunch of mechanics making a lateral move over to drivers (might have been Indy) and retaining their senority. Guys with some serious time in service. A huge Kerfluffle ensued. Many a current driver received the "bump down". I remember a policy change of going to bottom of list if a job title had been changed. Yet I have heard one to many tales of people getting the shaft by lateral movers. What I see happen alot, is people quitting instead of asking questions. That would be sweet, next time one of the W&I gigs opens up, I mean, I can bump the number one guy, get that sweet "AM" spot, and be all eight and skate.

Solid twelve to fourteens. With new cut times and a late return due to cleanup vias, losing seniority due to late start time. Then eating another late via and doing it all over again the same way the next day.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, if two or more are hired on the same day, whoever punches in first will be the senior.

I remember a scuttlebutt many, many, many moons ago (may have dreamt this). It had to do with a bunch of mechanics making a lateral move over to drivers (might have been Indy) and retaining their senority. Guys with some serious time in service. A huge Kerfluffle ensued. Many a current driver received the "bump down". I remember a policy change of going to bottom of list if a job title had been changed. Yet I have heard one to many tales of people getting the shaft by lateral movers. What I see happen alot, is people quitting instead of asking questions. That would be sweet, next time one of the W&I gigs opens up, I mean, I can bump the number one guy, get that sweet "AM" spot, and be all eight and skate.

Solid twelve to fourteens. With new cut times and a late return due to cleanup vias, losing seniority due to late start time. Then eating another late via and doing it all over again the same way the next day.
Thank you for sharing. Are you in the old CCX area?

Hell, if you went in the hole on vacation time, you would loose seniority. I see new hires take two weeks off and haven't even been in the company for a year, retaining their seniority. These guys run hard one day and take the next day off. I know they have no more days for vacation, and still get their time off. Yet they got barns via'ing in and taking good runs and via'ing back in on they way back up to their barn, yet they have drivers sitting. This company use to run sand baggers off left and right. Now mediocrity is the norm. Now with all the help at the FAC's, and freight levels considerly low, we can't get out of there any earlier. The p&d crew has always been on the skate out of outbound tip. Now with these dock workers everywhere, they are not making the money, and can't stop bitching about lack of hours. Tell them to flip over to line haul and they don't want to hear it. Careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

I stand corrected was think of the training for new CDL holders. The school yes unless they fire you.
We had a driver go through the school with con-way. Then the sale happened. Then he quit, within a year of getting his license. He did not pay anything. Perhaps because we were sold and con-way is no more, perhaps it wasn't worth xpo's effort to collect?

First , let me say I'm not complaining - I like my job.

I'm curious how many hours other drivers work , on average. I'm P&D and have been for some time. No matter if we're busy or slow , I have averaged about ten hours a day for years. It goes up at the end of the quarter and deer season.

I've read that cutting hours has happened because of LEAN , dockworkers , lane optimization , and other reasons.

Your thoughts? Please and thank you.

Most all of our p&d guys are getting all kinds of OT lately. Most are totally fed up and are burnt out. Some talking about moving on to find a job where they can have a life. Two guys last nite ,after working about 12-14 hours just had it. With o/b dock ops still in process they just parked their fork trucks and went home. The o/b super asked one of them.."you going home driver?..."yup" was his response, and he swiped out and went home.

It's the same where we are. Work as long as you want on outbound. Never finish lately. Haven't seen it this busy since before the merge.

Most all of our p&d guys are getting all kinds of OT lately. Most are totally fed up and are burnt out. Some talking about moving on to find a job where they can have a life. Two guys last nite ,after working about 12-14 hours just had it. With o/b dock ops still in process they just parked their fork trucks and went home. The o/b super asked one of them.."you going home driver?..."yup" was his response, and he swiped out and went home.
For us, only the 10:00 city guys stay in addition to the late flex drivers. Don't hear any complaints. When we used to be busy, and I don't feel we are on the o/b anyway, the early city drivers would also stay to break their own trailer before they went home (we're talking years ago before the onslaught of dock help). Maybe that would alleviate some pressure later on the outbound for you all? I think you guys close pretty late too? Just a thought.

We have 10-12 outbound bids. Plus unassigned some nights. It's not the help. We have no room and the Frt is nonstop. We cannot even get it all up to the dock. And inbound has to get started. That's around 2am even though they start at midnight.
Not complaining. Just explaining. But it needs to stay busy like this.
Leverage.

It going to get busy again. All over the upper Midwest, all the OT you want.

Is all the excessive OT a result of more freight, cause our TM said that our tonnage is actually down from last year at this time, or is it that we are just perpetually understaffed; i.e.Con-way/XPO's reputation as a bad place to work thwarting recruitment efforts, guys leaving, being fired, and then xpo just unable to replace them? At our barn we have one part time dock guy that has been waiting for 9 months to get into a driving training class that requires 5 guys to start it. He's still waiting cause management just can't recruit 5 guys. Maybe we have tons of OT cause it's a combination of being understaffed, and having more freight. I showed up at one stop today that was suppose to have 1 swp, and they ended up giving us 7 swps. All I can say is that this company had better figure it out soon before customers look else where and people start leaving xpo in droves. Working 12 hours plus a day that begins w/ the I/b dock, then P&D, and ending w/ a stint of o/b duty?... is out of Control. :1sm057crazy:

Is all the excessive OT a result of more freight, cause our TM said that our tonnage is actually down from last year at this time, or is it that we are just perpetually understaffed; i.e.Con-way/XPO's reputation as a bad place to work thwarting recruitment efforts, guys leaving, being fired, and then xpo just unable to replace them? At our barn we have one part time dock guy that has been waiting for 9 months to get into a driving training class that requires 5 guys to start it. He's still waiting cause management just can't recruit 5 guys. Maybe we have tons of OT cause it's a combination of being understaffed, and having more freight. I showed up at one stop today that was suppose to have 1 swp, and they ended up giving us 7 swps. All I can say is that this company had better figure it out soon before customers look else where and people start leaving xpo in droves. Working 12 hours plus a day that begins w/ the I/b dock, then P&D, and ending w/ a stint of o/b duty?... is out of Control. :1sm057crazy:

The I/B - peddle - O/B routine is standard here. Has been since like 2008.