How long is your day , typically?

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by icuicp, Aug 16, 2015.

1. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

If you sign a note it is very legal.

2. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep. You sign a contract when you enter the school. If you are terminated, you do not have to repay.

icuicp, Fly-by-night and pops11359 like this.
  3. eBiTDa

eBiTDa ¡Taking care of business!

If I recall correctly, if two or more are hired on the same day, whoever punches in first will be the senior.

I remember a scuttlebutt many, many, many moons ago (may have dreamt this). It had to do with a bunch of mechanics making a lateral move over to drivers (might have been Indy) and retaining their senority. Guys with some serious time in service. A huge Kerfluffle ensued. Many a current driver received the "bump down". I remember a policy change of going to bottom of list if a job title had been changed. Yet I have heard one to many tales of people getting the shaft by lateral movers. What I see happen alot, is people quitting instead of asking questions. That would be sweet, next time one of the W&I gigs opens up, I mean, I can bump the number one guy, get that sweet "AM" spot, and be all eight and skate.

Solid twelve to fourteens. With new cut times and a late return due to cleanup vias, losing seniority due to late start time. Then eating another late via and doing it all over again the same way the next day.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    icuicp likes this.
  4. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing. Are you in the old CCX area?

5. eBiTDa

I cannot either confirm or deny that. But I know, that you know, that I know you know, that you know I know you know.

6. LTLAnonymous

LTLAnonymous Well-Known Member

OP asked about other companies... linehaul at ABF, it was 61-70 hours a week whether you wanted to or not. That level of insanity drove me to move on to greener pastures. I had a 7-hour day the other day, and had the energy to go shopping after work. It was so foreign.

7. eBiTDa

Hell, if you went in the hole on vacation time, you would loose seniority. I see new hires take two weeks off and haven't even been in the company for a year, retaining their seniority. These guys run hard one day and take the next day off. I know they have no more days for vacation, and still get their time off. Yet they got barns via'ing in and taking good runs and via'ing back in on they way back up to their barn, yet they have drivers sitting. This company use to run sand baggers off left and right. Now mediocrity is the norm. Now with all the help at the FAC's, and freight levels considerly low, we can't get out of there any earlier. The p&d crew has always been on the skate out of outbound tip. Now with these dock workers everywhere, they are not making the money, and can't stop bitching about lack of hours. Tell them to flip over to line haul and they don't want to hear it. Careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

8. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

I stand corrected was think of the training for new CDL holders. The school yes unless they fire you.

9. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

We had a driver go through the school with con-way. Then the sale happened. Then he quit, within a year of getting his license. He did not pay anything. Perhaps because we were sold and con-way is no more, perhaps it wasn't worth xpo's effort to collect?

10. vetran peddleman

vetran peddleman FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Most all of our p&d guys are getting all kinds of OT lately. Most are totally fed up and are burnt out. Some talking about moving on to find a job where they can have a life. Two guys last nite ,after working about 12-14 hours just had it. With o/b dock ops still in process they just parked their fork trucks and went home. The o/b super asked one of them.."you going home driver?..."yup" was his response, and he swiped out and went home.

11. mysticobra

mysticobra Just here.

It's the same where we are. Work as long as you want on outbound. Never finish lately. Haven't seen it this busy since before the merge.

12. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

For us, only the 10:00 city guys stay in addition to the late flex drivers. Don't hear any complaints. When we used to be busy, and I don't feel we are on the o/b anyway, the early city drivers would also stay to break their own trailer before they went home (we're talking years ago before the onslaught of dock help). Maybe that would alleviate some pressure later on the outbound for you all? I think you guys close pretty late too? Just a thought.

13. mysticobra

mysticobra Just here.

We have 10-12 outbound bids. Plus unassigned some nights. It's not the help. We have no room and the Frt is nonstop. We cannot even get it all up to the dock. And inbound has to get started. That's around 2am even though they start at midnight.
    Not complaining. Just explaining. But it needs to stay busy like this.
    Leverage.

micshol likes this.
  14. upnorth

15. vetran peddleman

Told ya what?

16. upnorth

It going to get busy again. All over the upper Midwest, all the OT you want.

vetran peddleman likes this.
  17. vetran peddleman

Is all the excessive OT a result of more freight, cause our TM said that our tonnage is actually down from last year at this time, or is it that we are just perpetually understaffed; i.e.Con-way/XPO's reputation as a bad place to work thwarting recruitment efforts, guys leaving, being fired, and then xpo just unable to replace them? At our barn we have one part time dock guy that has been waiting for 9 months to get into a driving training class that requires 5 guys to start it. He's still waiting cause management just can't recruit 5 guys. Maybe we have tons of OT cause it's a combination of being understaffed, and having more freight. I showed up at one stop today that was suppose to have 1 swp, and they ended up giving us 7 swps. All I can say is that this company had better figure it out soon before customers look else where and people start leaving xpo in droves. Working 12 hours plus a day that begins w/ the I/b dock, then P&D, and ending w/ a stint of o/b duty?... is out of Control. :1sm057crazy:

highspeeds likes this.
  18. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

The I/B - peddle - O/B routine is standard here. Has been since like 2008.

vetran peddleman and icuicp like this.
  19. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

It's better to have it and don't want it ,

than to to want it and don't have it.

The places that don't have it aren't saying much. *hint* I'm being quiet.

20. mysticobra

mysticobra Just here.

Your right.
    We have too much but I'm not complaining.
    It's a good thing.

micshol and icuicp like this.