Yellow | I hate my union,although I don't have the guts to quit!

Yes, a very good observation, solidarity has no clout as of late. You might describe what happened at Hostess as unintended consequences

To take it one step further Hostess Teamster, as well as any other none BCTGM employees, were collateral damage.

Yes, a very good observation, solidarity has no clout as of late. You might describe what happened at Hostess as unintended consequences

Joe, I know when most people hear the term "solidarity," they usually associate that with Union solidarity..However there is Corporate solidarity and political solidarity that does indeed have the power to be a threat to labor and the Unions. Because of the Economy and often times the large amount of money that they have access to does in deed give them special advantage or influence.. ie. Clout... Just an example of Unity or solidarity, not always being a positive force for working class people...On the other hand if the Unions were somehow able to attain more Solidarity within the political arena that would give us more "positive" clout...but...that means Money....and Unions are short on that asset compared to the spending ability of the combined Corporate world...

Also I'm not sure if the outcome at Hostess was a result of "unintended consequences"... It seems to me that the evidence for liquidation was readily apparent. Is it possible they knew what the endgame would be but choose to "Go out in a blaze of glory".... or as a way to keep their "dignity"? Of course I have no way to know what their thoughts and intentions were...It's just a speculative question on my part...

Tim,

Wall street vultures are blaming workers for getting rid of your sweets—and that’s just not right.

You might have heard that Hostess Brands, the company that makes Twinkies, Ding Dongs and other desserts, filed for court permission to go out of business, and that its blaming a worker strike for the shutdown.

The Wall Street hedge fund managers who run the company have squeezed every cent out of Hostess for eight years. And they’ve put their friends with no experience in the baking industry in high-level management positions.

Hostess workers believe in their company, and we need to stand with them—sign our pledge to support workers, not greedy CEOs who will cut and run for a quick buck.

What’s happening here is a classic Bain Capital-style assault—blame the little guy to cover the greedy corporate policies that are gutting the middle class.

It’s not just happening to the workers who make the great products Americans love. What’s happening at Hostess is happening to workers all over this country. It’s wrong. And it has to stop.

Crony capitalism and poor management drove Hostess into the ground, not the workers who are now paying the price. In this struggling economy, the greedy corporate executives are willing to let 18,000 people lose their jobs—just so they can pad their pockets.

Hostess' executives are now blaming workers who’ve offered their company multiple concessions and want it to succeed. This is what’s wrecking our country.

Workers have borne the brunt of bad decision-making by executives who didn’t know anything about the baking business. And they’re the ones getting fired?

These brave workers need to know we stand with them—and we’ll stand with everyone who will take a stand against the corporate race-to-the-bottom.

go.aflcio.org/Hostess-Greed COPY AND PASTE THE PREVIOUS ADDRESS TO THE LEFT TO SIGN THE ON LINE PETITION

In Solidarity,

Richard Trumka
President, AFL-CIO

Visit us at AFLCIO | Facebook | Twitter
Text WORK to AFLCIO (235246) to join our text action team. (Message and data rates may apply.)
If you’d like to unsubscribe from your AFL-CIO email subscriptions, please click here.

I really don't think if the bakery guys going on strike or not would've made any difference in the outcome.Hostess was in bankruptcy for the umpteenth time.There is a time.When one has to let go.Let the beast die.I speculate.That if the bakery union would've accepted the deal.The hostess company probably wouldn't have been a good place to work at.And if all the accounting was true.Hostess most likely wouldn't have survived.
With all that being said.Its time for all the union bashers to come out of their hole.A once proud snack food cake comes down because of one lousy union.i can hear them now.Blame all the unions for the corporate woes.We all lose

A lot of the above posts assume that the workers are shocked, surprised and disappointed with the outcome. One of those workers is quoted in a news story on the collapse of the bakery. He stated that what was once a $48,000 job was being reduced to a $28,000 job with the latest company offer. Why do so many of you assume that he and his coworkers are sorry that they voted against that offer? Sorry the company closed? I am sure. Sorry they're not working for $14.00 hour? Not so sure.

There is a theory in business you either grow or die. Most start ups fail. The big heavy unionized telecoms (AT&T+ Verizon etc) are profitable yet slashing pay/benefits on their union employees. Caterpillar and some other industrial giants are using the down turn to extract big concessions from union people. To grow the size of an AT&T or Verizon or Hostess or YRC etc or the failure of doesn't mean management or the union is at fault. Only the great financial crash of all time could could stop growth and draw attention to every problem. Companies that had big debt went down. Hostess and YRC got caught with big debt. Hostess went down. So far YRC has survived.

Tim,

go.aflcio.org/Hostess-Greed COPY AND PASTE THE PREVIOUS ADDRESS TO THE LEFT TO SIGN THE ON LINE PETITION

In Solidarity,

Richard Trumka
President, AFL-CIO

Text WORK to AFLCIO (235246) to join our text action team. (Message and data rates may apply.)
If you’d like to unsubscribe from your AFL-CIO email subscriptions, please click here.

Long story short Richard Trumka President, AFL-CIO is a bigger wrecking ball then former president of the United Auto Workers Gettelfinger ever thought of being. He single handedly brought down the big 3 Us automakers

Tim,

Wall street vultures are blaming workers for getting rid of your sweets—and that’s just not right.

You might have heard that Hostess Brands, the company that makes Twinkies, Ding Dongs and other desserts, filed for court permission to go out of business, and that its blaming a worker strike for the shutdown.

The Wall Street hedge fund managers who run the company have squeezed every cent out of Hostess for eight years. And they’ve put their friends with no experience in the baking industry in high-level management positions.

Hostess workers believe in their company, and we need to stand with them—sign our pledge to support workers, not greedy CEOs who will cut and run for a quick buck.

What’s happening here is a classic Bain Capital-style assault—blame the little guy to cover the greedy corporate policies that are gutting the middle class.

It’s not just happening to the workers who make the great products Americans love. What’s happening at Hostess is happening to workers all over this country. It’s wrong. And it has to stop.

Crony capitalism and poor management drove Hostess into the ground, not the workers who are now paying the price. In this struggling economy, the greedy corporate executives are willing to let 18,000 people lose their jobs—just so they can pad their pockets.

Hostess' executives are now blaming workers who’ve offered their company multiple concessions and want it to succeed. This is what’s wrecking our country.

Workers have borne the brunt of bad decision-making by executives who didn’t know anything about the baking business. And they’re the ones getting fired?

These brave workers need to know we stand with them—and we’ll stand with everyone who will take a stand against the corporate race-to-the-bottom.

In Solidarity,

Richard Trumka
President, AFL-CIO

Well said scrabble! As I've stated on here before,loyalty is all but gone. These companies continue to exploit the american worker until they can no longer work at the pace they were in their twenties,they then want those who helped build their companies discarded or replaced for cheaper or younger workers all in the name of personal profits.

Well said scrabble! As I've stated on here before,loyalty is all but gone. These companies continue to exploit the american worker until they can no longer work at the pace they were in their twenties,they then want those who helped build their companies discarded or replaced for cheaper or younger workers all in the name of personal profits.

AZZ..........I cannot take credit for that. I simply shared a link that someone had sent me from the AFL-CIO website. People need to take off the blinders and see what these FAT CATS are doing to erode our way of life. They will ***** and complain about us union members......until it affects them. By then it will be too late.

It's always in the name of profits. Not feelings.

Long story short Richard Trumka President, AFL-CIO is a bigger wrecking ball then former president of the United Auto Workers Gettelfinger ever thought of being. He single handedly brought down the big 3 Us automakers
You are right on the money. Nothing like those $20,000 private jet flights to DC to go begging had anything to do with the failure of the Big Three, nothing at all. :shrug:

This is true with all unions these days, isn't it? I was part of a strike where even our (in company) 'brothers' in other parts of the state/country refused to participate in. Also, you think the mortgage, electric, phone, gas, & cable companies gave a schit? Yeah right. So, we go back to work, having lost it all. We were the proud new company participants of a 80/20 & a 401k.
Here is another, rather funny, part of this story. A few years later, the same 'brothers' who snubbed us, held a meeting with us, asking us to honor their strike because the company was fudging with their pension. After we told them to 'go phuck themselves', their response was, "2 wrongs don't make a right".
Let's not fool ourselves, the unions lost their power decades ago. Will they regain their power some day? Yes, I think so, but, not in our lifetime. People seem willing to take alot of schit before fighting back.

What I fail to understand is where the "passive" mentality originate's from?
These "Teamsters" voted in a 15% wage cut!
These "Teamsters" voted in a 1 week reduction of vacation pay!
These "Teamsters" voted in a abolishment of pension contributions!
Do these "Teamsters" even realize where this road will end in 2015?
Have the YRCF "TEAMSTERS" lost the will/ambition to fight?
I watch/wait for a sign from Jimmy Hoffa Senior who will guide these "Teamsters" on the right path.

SOLIDARITY?

Solidarity is the integration, and degree and type of integration, shown by a society or group with people and their neighbours.[1] It refers to the ties in a society that bind people to one another. The term is generally employed in sociology and the other social sciences.
What forms the basis of solidarity varies between societies. In simple societies it may be mainly based around kinship and shared values. In more complex societies there are various theories as to what contributes to a sense of social solidarity.[1]

Christ Almighty! Do not become a spineless jellyfish without a backbone!

Will the girlfriend and/or woman in your life become ruler also?

I, at least, hope you are prepared for the 3rd world war!

SOLIDARITY?

Solidarity is the integration, and degree and type of integration, shown by a society or group with people and their neighbours.[1] It refers to the ties in a society that bind people to one another. The term is generally employed in sociology and the other social sciences.
What forms the basis of solidarity varies between societies. In simple societies it may be mainly based around kinship and shared values. In more complex societies there are various theories as to what contributes to a sense of social solidarity.[1]

Christ Almighty! Do not become a spineless jellyfish without a backbone!

Will the girlfriend and/or woman in your life become ruler also?

I, at least, hope you are prepared for the 3rd world war!

What I fail to understand is where the "passive" mentality originate's from?
These "Teamsters" voted in a 15% wage cut!
These "Teamsters" voted in a 1 week reduction of vacation pay!
These "Teamsters" voted in a abolishment of pension contributions!
Do these "Teamsters" even realize where this road will end in 2015?
Have the YRCF "TEAMSTERS" lost the will/ambition to fight?
I watch/wait for a sign from Jimmy Hoffa Senior who will guide these "Teamsters" on the right path.

I guess the Teamsters, or perhaps, all unions, have forgotten the word SOLIDARITY!

Brother hanalad, there was a good show of solidarity on the part of the bakers union..to no avail. It proved to be a disaster for 18,500 families. I trust you don't regard the bakers as union heroes. No, I've been working as a teamster all my life. I would not have lasted 33 years on the job if it were not for teamster job protection. An economic fact of life might be in order here. Times have changed. Ah, there is no money out there..only cost but little or no profit. With out profit there is no game..therefor no strikes by the major unions. Hostess was the best possible example of no money. The strike was foolish even it it meant a 50% pay cut for the bakers. Former UAW workers settled for half what they were getting in good times after they lost the job with the auto makers. All union workers are under attack and back peddling.

Only UPS package teamsters are enjoying working for a recession proof company. YRC is still in the game thanks to the IBT. Better days may be ahead but who knows..maybe the worst is yet to come. When the economy is booming, when the trucking companies are flush with cash is when the unions gain wage increases. When 23 million people are out of work, when your company is sucking air for cash you take the hit and there is nothing your union could do about it. Cover up, try not to get knocked out

But as far as my wife..she is no submissive beitch but I make the big calls like as far as what I want for lunch etc
VebrzA3rbQQxhTRPptdOJiGN2Es.gif