ODFL | Icon

No matter who you work for this crap freight will mess a guy up and employers do not care. Not to mention the arguing with the idiots that order this stuff about why we won't bring it inside.

But yet lh drivers just say go to work with a smile or this is still good business. Easy to say when you just hold a wheel between two lines all night! Come work like a man for a day.
I thought working like a man was work smarter not harder. Seems like you got some growing up to do kid.

No matter who you work for this crap freight will mess a guy up and employers do not care. Not to mention the arguing with the idiots that order this stuff about why we won't bring it inside.

But yet lh drivers just say go to work with a smile or this is still good business. Easy to say when you just hold a wheel between two lines all night! Come work like a man for a day.

Maybe instead of complaining about us line guys and how "great" we have it, you should just join the dark side and come hold a wheel between 2 lines all night. I came from running the city for a few conpanies for 10 years and had enough of dealing with the garbage freight and stupid customers. I'm only 30 and have a long ways ahead of me so I made the decision to do something about it, thus makin the switch to line haul. And I do go to work with a smile on my face each night and I do greatly enjoy those pay checks.

City ain't easy but some of us are pretty good at it.:fat:

Starting in January there were a lot.Still see some now in March.But they aren't ICON just some other account out of Texas.Not usually a big deal but I pull a 40 liftgate with a pallet Jack and handtruck.So I just need to get close.Some people will ask but most are cool about porch or garage.I will occasionally push one in the front door.But that's all.

I don't even break a sweat, come back to the yard clean. Us guys who've done it for a while got it figured out.

I thought working like a man was work smarter not harder. Seems like you got some growing up to do kid.

If you're new to the OD PNW area, you came from a CDL mill because that is only what OD hires now so don't call me kid junior.

If you're new to the OD PNW area, you came from a CDL mill because that is only what OD hires now so don't call me kid junior.
Not sure what you're talking about. OD trains it's own drivers. I know the guy at COH who runs classes when they are here. They also have training at MOR(MRT? Can't remember which one is the yard and which is the meet).

Not sure what you're talking about. OD trains it's own drivers. I know the guy at COH who runs classes when they are here. They also have training at MOR(MRT? Can't remember which one is the yard and which is the meet).

Not here, we've hired most of our city drivers from 4 week driving schools. We've have a few dock grads, but the outside driving school rookies by far outnumber the dock grads because they can't pass their drive test.

Billy too bad you didn't have the intelligence, or the ambition to finish your education so wouldn't have to do this kind of hard work.. You whined about the hours of the day back when you worked line haul..Now you cry about the freight, pay and working conditions you encounter daily in P/D.. Face it,you don't seem to have the intestinal or testicular fortitude to be in this industry... Perhaps you should look for some other line of work.[/QUOTE]

Remember the fun days of delivering "Exercise Equipment", (always told them, Keep the box) even better was an account that delivered "Medical Beds" and other equip. Made episodes of "Horders" look like "Better Homes and Gardens". Many of those became (Not able to deliver), have to call terminal, then they would contact Gov. agency that ordered, send out a clean crew, then go redeliver. Be polite, always smile, and pass the problem up the chain of command. Reading this thread, brings back some "Great" memories.

Billy too bad you didn't have the intelligence, or the ambition to finish your education so wouldn't have to do this kind of hard work.. You whined about the hours of the day back when you worked line haul..Now you cry about the freight, pay and working conditions you encounter daily in P/D.. Face it,you don't seem to have the intestinal or testicular fortitude to be in this industry... Perhaps you should look for some other line of work.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone here that complains is just a dumb whiner? Too bad we all just can't fall into 600 mile daytime bids.

If you've never delivered an Icon, keep your mouth shut around the drivers who work hard dropping these things off so you can have freight to move.

Last edited:
I had to take a double take to insure that I wasn't in the ABF forum. This garbage freight that the companies seem to be drooling over is going to kill, kill, kill us P&D guys. This garbage is somewhat new, relatively speaking, and us elderlies walk crooked enough so as it is. Just wait 'til we all see what 10 years of that garbage does to us.

Back in 2015 ABF sent out a letter complaining that the previous year's workman's comp cost went up 35% that year alone. If you think about the previous 3 or 4 years when we increased a lot of inside deliveries (i.e. Amazon) it is no wonder ABF had more on the job injuries & increased medical costs. One driver had 2 surgeries in 2 years for a separated shoulder. As we get older & deliver 300 lb tread mills with no help, any company will suffer those costs. When is the last time HH Gregg or Sears or any furniture sellers delivered their product to the customer with no one helping the driver? Von.

Back in 2015 ABF sent out a letter complaining that the previous year's workman's comp cost went up 35% that year alone. If you think about the previous 3 or 4 years when we increased a lot of inside deliveries (i.e. Amazon) it is no wonder ABF had more on the job injuries & increased medical costs. One driver had 2 surgeries in 2 years for a separated shoulder. As we get older & deliver 300 lb tread mills with no help, any company will suffer those costs. When is the last time HH Gregg or Sears or any furniture sellers delivered their product to the customer with no one helping the driver? Von.

But we're just called dumb and stupid complainers by line drivers like Dean who's most pshyical injury is smashing their fingers in the pintle hook.

But we're just called dumb and stupid complainers by line drivers like Dean who's most pshyical injury is smashing their fingers in the pintle hook.
Well you do seem to complain a lot. I'm line haul I really enjoy my job. I started at OD as a p&d guy I did the icon thing I slung a pup load of tires or 2. It wasn't that bad. Hard work yes it is but pay is better than most. You don't like the pay and work as a p&d come to line haul. I would take 20 pup loads of tires and Icon over being at my last job. Remember where you came from, I'd bet it's quite a bit better here than where you were in the past.
By definition of most none truck drivers we are all dumb and stupid.

I just work 38-42 hours a week. Only place you can do that is at OD where a state forces them to pay OT at 40. Can't get a trucking job anywhere else that'll require me to work such short weeks. You can have linehaul and the hours. Can always play linehaul driver on the weekends with just a phone call.

You think I complain alot or city drivers complain alot but you get it, you been there. I'm just telling it like it is. These guys on line think everyone has it easy round here because that's all they've ever done like Dean. If you complain about your runs, he'll call you stupid also because he just does a 600 mile day time run that he fell into when we bought his subpar carrier. I'm just going to stay city, but I'll call out what I see is wrong. Working city keeps me in good shape, my wife has to fight all the women wanting a piece of me.

I just work 38-42 hours a week. Only place you can do that is at OD where a state forces them to pay OT at 40. Can't get a trucking job anywhere else that'll require me to work such short weeks. You can have linehaul and the hours. Can always play linehaul driver on the weekends with just a phone call.

You think I complain alot or city drivers complain alot but you get it, you been there. I'm just telling it like it is. These guys on line think everyone has it easy round here because that's all they've ever done like Dean. If you complain about your runs, he'll call you stupid also because he just does a 600 mile day time run that he fell into when we bought his subpar carrier. I'm just going to stay city, but I'll call out what I see is wrong. Working city keeps me in good shape, my wife has to fight all the women wanting a piece of me.
P&d and L/H complain to much. I'm all for telling it like it is. Unfortunately the so called crap freight is going to get worse over time simply because of everything shifting to online sales and "final Mile service". You won't be just dropping off that treadmill you'll be taking it out of the box putting it together and hauling away the trash. From what I see ltls are foaming at the mouth to get a little piece of that action.

Where im at we have a few of those fellas that have never touched a piece of freight or done 120 mile run into a break bulk and all the waiting that goes with it. They think everything's easy but it's not. I usually invite them to jump in the trenches for a week and I bet that opinion will change. I get it and understand your point billylo. Things at OD have changed over the years but nothing ever really stays the same. You should be happy we have icon back it'll help keep you chiseled for the wife.

Sounds like you run out of Indy. Garret Sports up in Noblesville. Use to swap trailers @ their warehouse, which was the old McFarlin or McMahon foods location. Just off 146th & SR 37. Like you said, a pain in the but, hard to do any other pick ups with that kind od freight, & on occasion I had to help unload @ the dock. We usually had 3 guys to handle it. Like Carrier furnaces, high dollar claims if you broke the glass on the backboard.

No not Indy, north side of Atlanta, my route had a lot of residentials....

Can't remember where Icon is at.But,was always told here that the reason OD did them was because of the one term that handled that account.That was the only thing that kept them floating. Also,the basketball goal's are shipped out of OD's Warehouse in Thomasville if they are the ones that are shipped on the long skd's with 3 ctn's.Can't think of the customer.

Yeah they come out of Thomasville, and they SUCK!!