XPO | If XPO doesn't Rock us then go for the Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not speaking for upnorth. But this XPO is global without us. It's what he does. I remember reading somewhere that he liked our relationship at the Mexican border. That he has lots of customers and we have lots of trucks. XPO boasts of its capabilities on its own site.
http://www.xpo.com/services/intermodal

Don't know about you guys but, I ain't ever heard of these XPO before all of this.
Not so much the global part , but when you go through the job postings as far as where they are seeking drivers and then look at maps of their locations - it seems to be focused on ports an intermodal.
Not much Canada.
I saw one of their owner operators for the first time about 3 days ago. An old Century Class sleeper cab pulling an intermodal pup sized container. I had to look really hard to see that sticker for XPO Logistics. He was headed into Ohio from Charleston , West Virginia.

Upnorth , what's XPO Logistics footprint in Canada? Have you noticed them or any of their companies? I haven't heard anything about Canadian businesses of XPO. It may be one more reason that buying the entire Con-way Inc. made sense to XPO.
I know they have some strong ties to Canada; in 5/2012 they spent 100 million for truck brokerage Kelron Logistics. according to Wikapedia

A superior court judge THINKS XPO screwed people driving for them out of 2 million dollars o/o's or not. I really don't believe XPO will stop screwing drivers just because it's Conway. I hope I'm wrong. Again just an opinion
I don't really think you hope you're wrong, I think that you are making an apples to oranges comparison between an employee/employer and a contractor/business relationship. What do you care if the new company screws over conway guys anyway, you don't have horse in this race, do you?

Upnorth , what's XPO Logistics footprint in Canada? Have you noticed them or any of their companies? I haven't heard anything about Canadian businesses of XPO. It may be one more reason that buying the entire Con-way Inc. made sense to XPO.
Their footprint right now is in British Columbia and Montreal, where the seaports are. No distribution hubs that I have found.

Most union companies make you got to the bottom for a year and one day after switching boards.
Which is a good thing which stops guys from bouncing cross boards whenever he feels free to. Makes him or her swallow their seniority pride if they really wanna switch.

Which is a good thing which stops guys from bouncing cross boards whenever he feels free to. Makes him or her swallow their seniority pride if they really wanna switch.
As far as one board goes at Con-way , there's not a lot of bouncing around( in my area )

We bid once a year ( typically ) and not that many drivers like to rearrange their entire life to make a change.

Linehaul money is good , but it's not everything. P & D hours are good , but dealing with customers , dispatch , clerks , and other drivers.... You know - pick your poison.

I've just never even heard of these guys. So for them to come out of the blue with this huge acquisition is a little baffling.
Well , that's understandable if you're in LTL you most likely aren't an owner operator. Most of us in LTL , show up to work and drive what's there.

XPO Logistics up until recently , was out of site: Europe , intermodal , 3pl , owner operators , etc... A lot of these companies were recently purchased and operated under different names.

And even when it's them and your peddling or running linehaul their branding has sucked , so far - little tiny stickers on their owner operators tractors.

I agree with you though - BOOM! ........Out of nowhere ,
XPO Freight

Last edited:
I read that XPO is in something like 27 countries, and by having a designated carrier to move their freight in America, they will get even more foreign freight, since the Conway acquisition will allow them to give their foreign shippers a more accurate delivery date, which will help them recoup their investment into Conway in a short period of time.

I prefer our free to bid whatever you can hold way of doing things. But I do understand why they do it differently. One year ain't that bad.

As far as one board goes at Con-way , there's not a lot of bouncing around( in my area )

We bid once a year ( typically ) and not that many drivers like to rearrange their entire life to make a change.

Linehaul money is good , but it's not everything. P & D hours are good , but dealing with customers , dispatch , clerks , and other drivers.... You know - pick your poison.

We have a good 5-10 switch every year. Usually pretty evenly. Nothing dramatic. With all this buyout stuff a lot of guys are talking about coming off line haul. To much uncertainty. Will we go to bag runs ? How many miles is more miles ? Will they want guys staying in hotels or using sleepers ? Just so much unknown. The city isn't for everyone. But you really can't change the P&D environment to much. It's what it is.

Well , that's understandable if you're in LTL you most likely aren't an owner operator. Most of us in LTL , show up to work and drive what's there.

XPO Logistics up until recently , was out of site: Europe , intermodal , 3pl , owner operators , etc... A lot of these companies were recently purchased and operated under different names.

And even when it's them and your peddling or running linehaul their branding has sucked , so far - little tiny stickers on their owner operators tractors.

I agree with you though - BOOM! ........Out of nowhere ,
XPO Freight

He has bought so much stuff so fast. His stock took a big hit. He over reached a bit with Con-way right after he just spent $3 billion on that LTL in Europe. He has said that his acquisitions need to be backed off a bit for a while. And that they need to focus on growing what they have. He went from damn near nothing 3 years ago to $15 billion in revenue now and wants to be at $29 billion in revenue by 2019. Usually to talk like that is crazy. But this guy seems to be able to do what he says we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.