TForce | Is UPS buying Estes?

When these LTL freight companies decide to give up they go quick.
My last full time union company was Halls' Motor Transit.

I worked overtime on the friday before,they pulled the plug.
It was business as usual.
Sunday after I came home from church the phone was ringing off the wall.
I ran inside to answer it.

My TM says I've got bad news,the company closed their doors Saturday,don't bother coming to work monday morning.

Talk about a shock,I was number two in my terminal 5 weeks paid vacation.
Just like that it was over.
Now I had 52 weeks unpaid vacation for life.

But as bad as that was with me.
Consolidated Freightways was a real slap in the face of all their workers.
To be told to call an 800 number on labor day no less.

Thats the life of a LTL Freight worker enjoy it while you can,because with this buisness its here today,gone tomorrow.

I remember the very first union LTL that went under,Associated Transport.
I think they went out even before deregulation.

The weird thing was this was the biggest company ,so big they built their own trailers with the Brown Trailer manufacturing company.

So there you go from the largest,to the smallest
If they say thats all we can stand,we can't stand no more.
They'll grab whatever cash they can,than cut,and run.

I thought we we're talking about buyouts, not what union LTLers closed there doors. Now CF didnt close becuase of non-profitability. They closed becuase of greed. CF corp had gotten conway established enough to where they could close up CF.But yes, that was a slap in the face. And I bet those evil demon filled sorry dogs that ran the show planned it that way

I doubt the Federal Trade Commission would allow a trade like that at this time. They have a thing about trying to corner the market place and with their lasting shopping spree I don't see UPS buying anyone for a few more years.

Sorry about cutting away from this thread Krash.
I guess I was just sounding off about what all these LTL companies think about their workers when they decide to make the moves they make.

Whenever a trucking company folded up in the past,they just took care of the people at the top,and ran out on all of their dedicated employees that grew their company with all their hard work.

Union,or non-union trucking companies all have the same thinking.
Get whatever you can,the heck with everyone else.

Now I'm not really bitter,just stating the cold hard facts about our industry.
Fold ups or sell outs there isn't much difference.

I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around.
When its all said,and done we will all get whats coming to us in the end,one way,or another.

Thats the way God created everything,in the end he will set everything straight.

fr8rookie said:
I doubt the Federal Trade Commission would allow a trade like that at this time. They have a thing about trying to corner the market place and with their lasting shopping spree I don't see UPS buying anyone for a few more years.

They don't need to buy anymore companies. They got the cream of the crop now. They just have to expand now.

I beg to differ with you Skeeter.
The first thing they should do is to clean house starting at the top,and working down.

Like I've posted in the past.
We could just be an experement for UPS,like we were for UNION PACIFIC Rail Road.
When Overnite didn't fit into the rail roads plan any longer we were spun off.

UPS has a golden opportunity to turn our company into the complete transportation plan they've always wanted for many years.

Or just like the rail road if we can't conform with their over all plan.
Than off we go again to run on our own,while they try again with another LTL company.

UPS is such a large company they could cut their losses as easy as using white out on a typing mistake.

Nothing in this world is ever totaly secure.

The only sure thing I know is to follow Pslams 118:8,John 3:5,Acts 2:38,and Collosians 3:17.

Apostolic said:
The first thing they should do is to clean house starting at the top,and working down.

Upper management at OVNT spent the funds on themselves instead of spending the funds to expand the business. Just look at the crap we drive and the way the equipment is maintained. Leo was the first to go. How long will it take for UPS to clean house.

Thats a very good question gater.
As for me I say the sooner the better.
I know for sure that UPS doesn't want Overnite to be a hole in the ground that they are throwing their money into.
They've already spent a bundle on us in the rebranding.
Hopefuly UPS will see their investement to the end,instead off getting sick,and tired of trying to get us into the LTL that completes their buisness plan,and just writting us off.
By selling off all the terminals,using whatever equipment they can,than cutting their loss to try something else.

Overnite has always been a pretty good trucking company.
UPS has just got to get the bad apples out of the basket,before they spoil the rest.

Everyone knows UPS is famous for their time studies to improve delivery times.
Maybe they are doing that with all of Overnite to see how we can haul our freight by operating with better methods?

Well we can only hope everything will improve,and not go down the toilet,with the old ideas that aren't getting the best job done.

I guess we forgot about Estes totally. Change the thread to "what is UPS going to do with us?"

Apo, can you be more negative? Give it more time, it will work out in the end.

UPRR isn't UPS, I'm sure it will be done differently this time.

Getting back to Estes, this is just a thought, do you guys think that UPS will buy another company so close to our recent acquisition? With every thing that is going on and what will be happening next year I would figure that they would wait a while.

Skeeter said:
They don't need to buy anymore companies. They got the cream of the crop now. They just have to expand now.

Rumor has it, that is not the case, and soon we will be seeing alot of changes A leak from the local mgnt. meeting's. "And those not cutting the mustard will be gone!!!!" quote unquote. So now I have only to wait and see if the rumor come's to life!!!!! Driver's, mgnt, clerk's, you name it , no one will be left out, just do your job boy's and girl's, and time will tell, It's coming soon supposedly.

What goes around comes around.

Accelerator said:
Driver's, mgnt, clerk's, you name it , no one will be left out, just do your job boy's and girl's, and time will tell, It's coming soon supposedly.

That's all any employer asks is that you do the job that they hired you for to the very best of your abilitys , they hired you because they looked at your resume and felt you were a possible valuable asset to the company. Work hard and make the company and yourself look and be good.

Smokestack
:USA:

Why would UPS make another LTL purchase,when they are still shelling out money for the rebranding,of Overnite/Motor Cargo?

Start up costs are hard to recover,with some buisnesses it takes years,to recover start up money.

steve5 said:
I guess we forgot about Estes totally. Change the thread to "what is UPS going to do with us?"

Apo, can you be more negative? Give it more time, it will work out in the end.

UPRR isn't UPS, I'm sure it will be done differently this time.

Getting back to Estes, this is just a thought, do you guys think that UPS will buy another company so close to our recent acquisition? With every thing that is going on and what will be happening next year I would figure that they would wait a while.
I'm with you. There probably be another acquisition but probably not for a while. They got there hands tied with us right now.

Apostolic said:
Why would UPS make another LTL purchase,when they are still shelling out money for the rebranding,of Overnite/Motor Cargo?

Start up costs are hard to recover,with some buisnesses it takes years,to recover start up money.
Apo, I would really be confused if UPS bought another company and they are not done with us. But think about it. Companies are going to be bought out. If they don't buy, then the other companies will. And when they buy another carrier, they also buy their customers which automatically makes them bigger. UPS wants to be number one. If the did buy Estes it would automatically move them up, possibly passing ABF in yearly revenue. They are chasing FED EX..

I hear ups is buying starbuck and all ups and ups freight employees will get I free cup per week and 10 minutes of free internet access to check upsusers.com and buy hats and clothes for outrageous inflated prices....

webidiot said:
I hear ups is buying starbuck and all ups and ups freight employees will get I free cup per week and 10 minutes of free internet access to check upsusers.com and buy hats and clothes for outrageous inflated prices....

It's attitudes like this we need to get rid of. I disagree with you AP UPS will not cut their losses with OVNT/MC. They will continue to fine tune the company till it is what they want. UPS is not quitters they will turn this company into what they want. As far as cutting their losses I haven't got the slightest fear they will do that. But you are right about one thing God takes care of his own.:smillie_flag:

Skeeter said:
They will continue to fine tune the company till it is what they want. UPS is not quitters they will turn this company into what they want. As far as cutting their losses I haven't got the slightest fear they will do that. But you are right about one thing God takes care of his own.:smillie_flag:
I whole heartedly agree with you that UPS will make this work. But I have some reservation on to cutting and slashing as this link states. This also gives credit to my ongoing statements concerning UPS Cartage Services, (Emery Air Freight/Menlo). The other day I saw two drivers together making a pick-up. The shipment was about the size of a case of beer. They said since it was slow, they have double up drivers. Doesn't sound too practical to me. But what do I know.
Associated Press Business News: UPS Will Make Job Cuts : US:UPS - MSN Money