XPO | just thinking...

Again, you dont have to cut compensation to cut labor costs.
Thats true, you could cut your labor force in general, I am sure there will be alot of people losing their jobs. Our new CEO said there will not be any drivers losing their jobs though.

That sounds alot like YRC. Cut drivers wages and pension contributions to stay afloat. We got a 5% pay cut in 2009, got it all back and alot more. I think us XPO logistics dtivers are going to be just fine.
Don't forget all the things that were taken. Also, we did get our 5% back, but in some areas, not much more in six years...

If yrc bought anything the union's teeth would have nothing to do with it. There would be a mutiny like never before seen. The company isnt that stupid, close but not that bad
"Snap back provisions" and any other contractual enforcement requires a "toothed" Union.........which I already covered.
If the Union were eating at a feast, they'd be gumming their food.

Don't forget all the things that were taken. Also, we did get our 5% back, but in some areas, not much more in six years...
Where I am at are wages are something like 20% higher then they were in 2009. My math is fuzzy so don't quote the exact figures. I am still pissed about the loss of all of my vacation but I would rather that than 15% pay cut for the last 6 years.

Conway DID kill CF wake the heak up, and they just pulled a similar move selling out to XPO, any driver that can't see the crystal clear writing in the wall I feel terribly for, the owner operator/ line haul outsourcing is a plague that is infecting all ltl companies both Union and non Union alike these days, and it will soon if not already come to XPO as it will likely begin by management explaining that CRST is at the terminal to pickup a load going to a "dead freight zone", then sooner or later all lanes will have contract carriers picking up loads while extra board drivers sit at home... I hope for all the Conway drivers XPO pays a decent living wage but as it stands now and given conways decorated past as pioneers for the working man, it ain't lookin to good, my cousin works at the Montgomery my barn and he said the most senior man there has only been there 7 years, not very long in the grand scheme of things, I think it's time for u guys to sign some of those union cards already, or don't and look at the bright side, McDonald's might be paying 15 an hour soon

Conway DID kill CF wake the heak up, and they just pulled a similar move selling out to XPO, any driver that can't see the crystal clear writing in the wall I feel terribly for, the owner operator/ line haul outsourcing is a plague that is infecting all ltl companies both Union and non Union alike these days, and it will soon if not already come to XPO as it will likely begin by management explaining that CRST is at the terminal to pickup a load going to a "dead freight zone", then sooner or later all lanes will have contract carriers picking up loads while extra board drivers sit at home... I hope for all the Conway drivers XPO pays a decent living wage but as it stands now and given conways decorated past as pioneers for the working man, it ain't lookin to good, my cousin works at the Montgomery my barn and he said the most senior man there has only been there 7 years, not very long in the grand scheme of things, I think it's time for u guys to sign some of those union cards already, or don't and look at the bright side, McDonald's might be paying 15 an hour soon
Sign a card... Your funny. We saw how much the union put out to help the few terminals interested last year. Pretty pathetic. Since you don't work here, you have no idea.

Rumor has it , that after XPO gets Menlo , they are going to sell the LTL part to YRCW for $1.5 billion !!!

Maybe UPS or FEDEX,,,maybe. But, YRC can't afford it. They are still in the "come back" stages. It would be a good move. But, they simply can't afford it. IMHO, I think XPO intends to keep the whole ball of wax and run for leardship and dominance in all the markets.

Changing the world is a young mans game. And these kids just wanna go home early and play video games. They don't wanna work at work, let alone have to do something work related after or before work. Or fight for something that, as they see it, is only going to make it easier for the senior guys to stick around longer.
That is good. I had a good laugh from that one. So true

Union never really got any traction here. We had some pretty bad times. And still just a few votes and a couple wins for the union, but no contracts.

I wonder if those knuckle draggers are gonna fix their site name. changexpo2win You can do it ! ( Waterboy voice )

Not only does the union have very little to offer. The drivers here are old. They aren't going to chance interrupting their paychecks or benefits. They just wanna get through another day until they can finally retire.

Changing the world is a young mans game. And these kids just wanna go home early and play video games. They don't wanna work at work, let alone have to do something work related after or before work. Or fight for something that, as they see it, is only going to make it easier for the senior guys to stick around longer.

I just don't see it in the cards. My opinion.
Take away the "union debate" and I think you have hit all of the problems of America in just a few paragraphs. Old folks are on cruise-control till retirement or death (whichever comes first) and the younger folks are trying how to figure out how not to work at all. No one has to destroy the greatest country in the world, we are imploding from within.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would sign a card that would automatically give you a 15% cut in pay.
:scratchhead:
Look at it this way Northern: How much do you pay for medical/dental/vision/prescription to cover your whole family? I pay nothing, ABF Freight pays the entire premium...that's about $1500/month in my pocket. How much comes out of your pocket to contribute to your 401k? And just how much does Conway match? ABF pays into my pension FOR me $6.72/hr. I don't contribute a dime, hence, MORE money in my pocket. Granted, we took a bit of a hit this last contract, and our aim is to restore those cuts in 2018. Oh, I almost forgot....I PAY $58/month for Union dues. You do the math.
I'm trying to figure out why anyone would sign a card that would automatically give you a 15% cut in pay.
:scratchhead:

Look at it this way Northern: How much do you pay for medical/dental/vision/prescription to cover your whole family? I pay nothing, ABF Freight pays the entire premium...that's about $1500/month in my pocket. How much comes out of your pocket to contribute to your 401k? And just how much does Conway match? ABF pays into my pension FOR me $6.72/hr. I don't contribute a dime, hence, MORE money in my pocket. Granted, we took a bit of a hit this last contract, and our aim is to restore those cuts in 2018. Oh, I almost forgot....I PAY $58/month for Union dues. You do the math.

You got us on the health care. Let us know how that works out when you go to collect that pension.

Take away the "union debate" and I think you have hit all of the problems of America in just a few paragraphs. Old folks are on cruise-control till retirement or death (whichever comes first) and the younger folks are trying how to figure out how not to work at all. No one has to destroy the greatest country in the world, we are imploding from within.

Through history the average democracy only last 250 years. Do the math.

Through history the average democracy only last 250 years. Do the math.
There have not been lots of democracies in history until the modern era. The parlimentary democracy of England has lasted for alot longer than 250 years. The Roman Republic lasted more than 250 years. We are fortunate to live in this country. The United States is the last greatest hope for humankind and I believe we will last as long as the world does. This country is not any worse now than it was at the turn of the 19th century. It changes as we change. Some don't like that change and therefore see the coming of the end. Others embrace that change and see a bright future. We get to have a peacful revolution every 2 years in this country. If you don't like whats happening, change it. If the people you like don't win, well thats democracy in action.

There have not been lots of democracies in history until the modern era. The parlimentary democracy of England has lasted for alot longer than 250 years. The Roman Republic lasted more than 250 years. We are fortunate to live in this country. The United States is the last greatest hope for humankind and I believe we will last as long as the world does. This country is not any worse now than it was at the turn of the 19th century. It changes as we change. Some don't like that change and therefore see the coming of the end. Others embrace that change and see a bright future. We get to have a peacful revolution every 2 years in this country. If you don't like whats happening, change it. If the people you like don't win, well thats democracy in action.
Good post, rad. I like your style.

Not trying to get into any debate over history. But the parliament was established after the islands had been somewhat united, in the early 1700's, by a king that didn't care about England at all and whos son the Americans later rebelled against with power of the crown diminishing but still lasting in some capacity until the end of WWII when the commonwealth of the empire disintegrated into it's own singularities and the current TMZ fodder was produced. Just saying. Not really on that one example there. I am not about to go search the interwebs for some amazing factual face palm. I think just common knowledge of our country and our independence from England is plenty here. Weather or not I am entirely right or if you want to pick apart my statement for some horrible confounderment. I don't really care. We can all likely agree that the UK had a king or royalty system set up for a long time. And that it was the king that the Americans rebelled against. And I believe it to be common knowledge that upon independence from England that the intent was to make George Washington our king. But that he refused. And this system that we use today is the result of his decision.

I hate when I get into a rant. Look at how hard that is to read all of that. I'm an idiot.

Thanks for bringing up the Romans. It's a good point. As we do not live in a democracy. It's a republic. We don't get to choose what to do. We choose the leaders and then they do what they want. These is another prat fall of our government. And why we have the right to bear arms. There may come a time when we must forcibly take control of our country back from our government.

Change is amazing. Change in the modern world is very fast. From Kittyhawk to Mars in less than 100 years. There will be a " dark ages " that follows this period of time in human history. For every step forward there are steps back. Look at history. How fortunate are we to be living in a golden age of knowledge ? Imagine telling some one in the USA in the 1980's that the total of jobs in farming and manufacturing would not even be 10% of the work force. They would freak out. Was there a war ? Famine ? Natural disaster ? Nope. They call it the internet.